Land grab?

Switzerland _venox_
Howdah
ESO: _Venox_

Land grab?

Post by _venox_ »

The timing is the part about land grab that makes it a bad shipment for me for civilisations that don't have as many villagers as say the British or the Portuguese (those need more plantations and mills but also have a higher income of wood). It's quite luck dependent if you can send it right at the time you need it. I don't think you can guess precisely when your food runs out, so sending it before you need mills could risk that you get another shipment ready until the food runs out.
I would prefer to build the mills as soon as I need them and send an upgrade card if I have a shipment ready. But landgrab has the advantage that if the gold runs out you can transition onto plantations quite fast and easily without paying 1600w for 20 villagers on coin.

What spain could do instead of transitioning onto mills is to train some mercenaries and send the missionary card: 10 missionaries (worth 1 shipment and 1000w 1000g = valued at 3 shipments) give all all your units (even artillery) a 62% damage bonus (which is about the same as a 30% dmg and 30% hp bonus which for most civs cost 3 shipments total and is limited to specific units).

Land grab pays off on really low resource maps or for civs with many villagers or for civs that need a lot of plantations but personally is too time dependent for other uses, a eco upgrade is better instead. If resources run out there are some other things one could do instead of transitioning onto mills directly, for example getting missionaries or the Portuguese church bestieros.
Don't let the things you can't change dictate your life.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Land grab?

Post by Garja »

The point is that even if you time the land grab with the plantation switch you gonna have 20 vills on superslow gold income.
You don't mind vills gathering 1600w if you know the opponent is doing about the same. But you do mind that once those vills are on 2 plantations they gather too slowly. That's why you always send royal mint and if you have another shipment another plantation upgrade. Also you want some vills gathering wood for the plantation upgrade.
Because all of this you do also want to research wood ups whenever you have spare food/gold and you're set for a long term game.
Image Image Image
No Flag SaDe
Crossbow

Land grab?

Post by SaDe »

Could be viable in team games with low hunts and mines,if you are able to take 2 tp's, one at start and one during transition or find a large xp treasure, since spain has faster xp generation.
No Flag Good ol Ivan
Howdah
ESO: ivanelterrible

Land grab?

Post by Good ol Ivan »

jerom wrote:
ivan wrote:your math is wrong
IIRC Land grab saves 40% value of wood. Which is 160 for mills and 320 for plantations.
3 * 160 + 3 * 320 = 9 * 160 = 1440 wood (...also mills/plants are built slightly faster). Even so Id agree 1000 wood is better as its so much more versatile, but land grab being an age 1 card, doesnt hurt either. Its a viable shipment to have in most decks with most European civs.
well the point it, by the time you ship land grab youd probably prefer an eco card like eco theory or food silos.
I see your point, but thinking about it twice Id say the purpose is slightly different, land grab is a 1000-1500 (up to 1900) wood shipment, while royal mint/eco theory are kind of a 5-8 (up to 10) villies shipment - basically you are choosing between a vill shipment and a wood shipment. Another difference is royal mint takes space for a more useful age 3 card, while land grab is age 1. If not for land grab I would probably have an age 4 unit shipment or an age 1 eco card.