Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Colonial Age cow card for Ports?

Post by edeholland »

kaiserklein wrote:Btw a -100f start for ports means you can start with only 100f right ? Won''t that prevent them from making an efficient early market/TP, since it might be hard to gather 200f and chop for a house or stuff ?
Starting with 7 vills helps alot ')
No Flag Einfein
Dragoon

Post by Einfein »

slimshaddies wrote:I have tried it a few times and seems to work decent against anything that doesn''t rush or just have really good micro managing if you do get rushed to buy time for your boom.
Ports have a very weak eco early on and spent a long time playing catch up. A livestock pen looks great on paper, but it takes a while to pay off which means now you have a slow starting eco civ attempting to use a slow to produce food. Sure if you''re opponent leaves you alone that long it could work wonders, but most players wont let you get away with that sadly.
"He's just got more stuff, and sometimes just having more stuff, despite the fact you have better positioning or better micro just doesn't matter because sometimes when you just got more stuff you just win the game." - ZutaZuta
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

kaiserklein wrote:Btw a -100f start for ports means you can start with only 100f right ? Won''t that prevent them from making an efficient early market/TP, since it might be hard to gather 200f and chop for a house or stuff ?
Keep in mind your vills cost 80f, so you have 20f left over from that crate, and only need to gather 60f to get the 2nd vill in queue.
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

mitoe wrote:
kaiserklein wrote:Btw a -100f start for ports means you can start with only 100f right ? Wont that prevent them from making an efficient early market/TP, since it might be hard to gather 200f and chop for a house or stuff ?
Keep in mind your vills cost 80f, so you have 20f left over from that crate, and only need to gather 60f to get the 2nd vill in queue.

do you think the fp changes of spain is not proper? they have two 8 rods and two 4 lancers in age 3: this is the only civ to have same card in the same age. that seems strange.
we can change it to "500f 14rod" or "1000f 9lancer" or sth like that. it will be interestimg.
No Flag adderbrain5
Lancer

Post by adderbrain5 »

This looks like a classic case of someone trying to go to far with an idea. Why not still age up with 400 wood and just ship 7 cows
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

paul wrote:
mitoe wrote:Keep in mind your vills cost 80f, so you have 20f left over from that crate, and only need to gather 60f to get the 2nd vill in queue.
do you think the fp changes of spain is not proper? they have two 8 rods and two 4 lancers in age 3: this is the only civ to have same card in the same age. that seems strange.
we can change it to "500f 14rod" or "1000f 9lancer" or sth like that. it will be interestimg.
They have 8/9rods btw.
And japan also have the same cards in the same age and russia also used to.
And no it wouldnt be interesting at all since spain already have enough anti cav/cav shipments and want to spend their ressources in skirms.
No Flag slimshaddies
Crossbow

Post by slimshaddies »

adderbrain5 wrote: This looks like a classic case of someone trying to go to far with an idea. Why not still age up with 400 wood and just ship 7 cows
I thought about that actually, but the think is that the 4 cows you get from the age reward are at 200/500 food (or something like that it might be 150/500) while the cows you get from the card all start at 0/500. The 4 cows fatten earlier than the 7 which is actually really nice because it lets you start on your boom while the rest fatten, plus if you''re going to dump 200 wood into a livestock pen instead of something like a market or trade post you might as well take advantage of the better food reward, if you''re not going to take the 4 cows when you already have a livestock pen then when will you ever?

P.S.

As dumb as it may sound I think investing the 150 wood and 150 gold into getting the improvement to fatten animals in the livestock pen faster. In the games that I have played using the 10/10 11 cows start usually the enemy civs age 2 attack would arrive slightly before the cows were fully fattened, the improvement seems to get the cows done before the attack comes in and considering your next two cards after the cows are going to be 700 wood and 700 gold, I think the faster fattening improvement is both affordable and needed. Thoughts?
Great Britain britishmusketeer
Howdah

Post by britishmusketeer »

The maths in general just doesn't work out. From 10 fattened cows at 9 mins, you gain around 2500f=~2500VS (taking into account gather rate is about double on livestock than upgraded hunts and they decay). From 400w + shipment + pen + eco theory from min 3 you get about 3100VS. So by doing this you lose out on VS and obviously it is less safe than doing the standard play and also if your opponent scouts it they can punish you. That being said it does generate resources out if nothing so if you have a hunt that will last you until 9 mins at which point you run out of safe hunt it could be good.
No Flag slimshaddies
Crossbow

Post by slimshaddies »

britishmusketeer wrote:The maths in general just doesn''t work out. From 10 fattened cows at 9 mins, you gain around 2500f=~2500VS (taking into account gather rate is about double on livestock than upgraded hunts and they decay). From 400w + shipment + pen + eco theory from min 3 you get about 3100VS. So by doing this you lose out on VS and obviously it is less safe than doing the standard play and also if your opponent scouts it they can punish you. That being said it does generate resources out if nothing so if you have a hunt that will last you until 9 mins at which point you run out of safe hunt it could be good.
That''s basically the point, you should still be able to collect hunt until the cows fatten assuming you do your herding well but also maps with capybara hunts that are difficult to herd would pose a problem. As for the scouting and less safe play that''s all true but it does put your opponent on a bit of a timer as well that may force them to change their play, if they don''t pressure early then you should use the food boom to outpace them and get a huge lead in age 3 so they either have to disrupt your resource gathering or just upfront win in age 2 which typically happens anyway when you play ports on no water maps.
No Flag adderbrain5
Lancer

Post by adderbrain5 »

I have seen cows work, and have used them effectively, but I think its kind of a gamble imo. If you get lucky your in a really good position, but you can't rely on it really.

A couple situations where it works :
-obviously if cows on the map already/sheep/yaks/buff
-iroqois making a farm with starting travois, although their livestock cards suck(team 4 sheep bleh)

Also I don'd play ports so I can't really say. But I know I rek an awful lot of silly ports that think they can boom around my rush, and I'd probably be herding your cows off at five minutes. You should have seen this one guy. Wants to play amazonia thinking I can't rush him. So I ship 3 fishing boats, take my chief & travois and ship that bich over to his side, rek his new TC with a town destroyer rush....rotfl he picked a TR deck. I think he was actually a captain or first lieut too aren't they suppose to know better?
Canada forgrin
Howdah
ESO: Forgrin

Post by forgrin »

adderbrain5 wrote:I have seen cows work, and have used them effectively, but I think its kind of a gamble imo. If you get lucky your in a really good position, but you can''t rely on it really.

-iroqois making a farm with starting travois, although their livestock cards suck(team 4 sheep bleh)

Also I don''d play ports so I can''t really say. But I know I rek an awful lot of silly ports that think they can boom around my rush, and I''d probably be herding your cows off at five minutes. You should have seen this one guy. Wants to play amazonia thinking I can''t rush him. So I ship 3 fishing boats, take my chief & travois and ship that bich over to his side, rek his new TC with a town destroyer rush....rotfl he picked a TR deck. I think he was actually a captain or first lieut too aren''t they suppose to know better?

I''m just getting into that PR level now, lots of people 2nd/1st lieut pick treaty decks and try to all out boom ''cause nobody knows how to punish. Now I''m figuring it out, free PR incoming.
https://www.twitch.tv/forgin14

"WTF WHERE ARE MY 10 FALCS" - AraGun_OP
No Flag Wuangaga
Lancer

Post by Wuangaga »

forgrin wrote:
adderbrain5 wrote:I have seen cows work, and have used them effectively, but I think its kind of a gamble imo. If you get lucky your in a really good position, but you cant rely on it really.

Also I dond play ports so I cant really say. But I know I rek an awful lot of silly ports that think they can boom around my rush, and Id probably be herding your cows off at five minutes. You should have seen this one guy. Wants to play amazonia thinking I cant rush him. So I ship 3 fishing boats, take my chief &' travois and ship that bich over to his side, rek his new TC with a town destroyer rush....rotfl he picked a TR deck. I think he was actually a captain or first lieut too arent they suppose to know better?
Im just getting into that PR level now, lots of people 2nd/1st lieut pick treaty decks and try to all out boom cause nobody knows how to punish. Now Im figuring it out, free PR incoming.
You gotta find the right ones though, theres still more than enough people playing normal stuff and even having decent micro.
Canada forgrin
Howdah
ESO: Forgrin

Post by forgrin »

wuangaga wrote:
forgrin wrote:Im just getting into that PR level now, lots of people 2nd/1st lieut pick treaty decks and try to all out boom cause nobody knows how to punish. Now Im figuring it out, free PR incoming.
You gotta find the right ones though, theres still more than enough people playing normal stuff and even having decent micro.

True that. Still gotta get better :p
https://www.twitch.tv/forgin14

"WTF WHERE ARE MY 10 FALCS" - AraGun_OP