Beating Russia with French...

United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

The biggest counter civ, and most trouble I get when playing France, is Russia.

I know you need to get to age 3..but when. If you stay age 2.. heck, if you smash his first 5 coss and 5 musk with your 5 musk, MM, and cdb, I still have trouble. What Russia tends to do that works is to just fb on ur 3rd hunt, and just WAIT... if the russia player knows the matchup, they know that they dont have to go in to win. just get a second rax, and a stable up at your fb.. then just mass much faster training and much more cost efficient units, then plow in [font style="font-style:italic'" color="#e68319"]no micro necessary[/font][font][i style="color:rgb(165, 149, 132)'vertical-align:super'"]TM

[/i]So, when does that 700 gold shipment come in to age you? I like to go either 4cdb-700w or reverse, then either 8xb or 600w depending on pressure or if i want to push to win... so I tried to fight age 2 many times lately and it just doesnt work, you get outmassed. Since ive been playing this game, this is one of the more frustrating matchups I have.

Recently I had success with Huss start and making only huss with 8xb and mm to pick off muskets, and I used to win vs Darwin with Hus/xb combo, it just seems now the russia players know to sit more patiently to mass. Anyway, so if the russia goes 5coss-4coss, he will have 9 coss and like 15 musk when you have ~ 10 musk and maybe 8 xb if shipped.. and yes, that will hold, but just hold, and keep you in age 2 longer.

I am maybe even most confident as French, but this damn MU! >':D
Thoughts?[/font]
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Well this is exactly why I think Russia is better.
Try classic 5 huss semi with TP. You should have a 3rd card for 8 bows or 3huss and should try to time it to take the most value out of it. I still don't think 5 huss semi wins.
As for colonial it's all about killing the FB before you get starved. Generally it is on your 3rd colo card at 8-9 mins. Try to pull vills to accomplish that, you are running out of hunts anyway.
Image Image Image
No Flag lordcharlie131
Musketeer

Post by lordcharlie131 »

As a russia player, its really nice to read this :)
Pro Player

Post by SoldieR »

garja wrote:Well this is exactly why I think Russia is better.
Try classic 5 huss semi with TP. You should have a 3rd card for 8 bows or 3huss and should try to time it to take the most value out of it. I still don''t think 5 huss semi wins.
As for colonial it''s all about killing the FB before you get starved. Generally it is on your 3rd colo card at 8-9 mins. Try to pull vills to accomplish that, you are running out of hunts anyway.
I just don''t think there are any timings to take out fb..maybe like 10 huss 8xb and mm... but if fren goes 4cdb 700w first and the Russia goes two military ships to start..its like how u gonna outmass
Palestine Mimsy for President
Jaeger

Post by Mimsy for President »

hehe diarouga if you read this, I'm not the only one who thinks Russians > Fr
Thanks for the feedback SoldieR !
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Musk semi with 8 xbow, some walls and you're good to go

Good to go fortress that is.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

i've been having familiar thoughts. not because of any of my games, rather, veni vs kiljardi

russia doesn't even attack and if you just stay in age 2 you get out-massed. tech to fortress and you give up the map for quite a while
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Great Britain CuCkO0
Dragoon
ESO: CuCkO0

Post by CuCkO0 »

calmyourtits wrote:Musk semi with 8 xbow, some walls and you''re good to go

Good to go fortress that is.
Lol this
KINGofOsmane wrote:If Elo is down what are we even fighting for
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

shaolinstar wrote:hehe diarouga if you read this, I''m not the only one who thinks Russians >' Fr
Thanks for the feedback SoldieR !
Musk/huss timing with 8bow as 3rd card.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

1. Do 5 cav semi ff
2. defend rush with CDB+mm+8 bow if needed
3. Go fortress
4. Spam gendarme and ship 2 cannons and gg you won

Easy mu for french. like almost any MU versus russia lol.
No Flag farran34
Dragoon
Donator 01

Post by farran34 »

I feel this matchup is somewhat map dependent. On a map like AS_newgp (2-3 big herds) france easily wins russia imo, but on a map where you only have 2 deer hunts, it may favor russia. Personally I think the main strategy for france needs to be focused on age 3 (age 2 russia will just win france age 2 if played right), just getting there safely is sometimes difficult.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

somppukunkku wrote:1. Do 5 cav semi ff
3. Go fortress

Easy mu for french. Like like almost any MU versus russia lol.
Well this doesn''t really work. Cuirs train too slow. By the time you have any scary number he has huge mass.
Image Image Image
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

garja wrote:
somppukunkku wrote:1. Do 5 cav semi ff
3. Go fortress

Easy mu for french. Like like almost any MU versus russia lol.
Well this doesnt really work. Cuirs train too slow. By the time you have any scary number he has huge mass.
if you add some skirm to that, you dont need scary numbers to fuck russia
No Flag Mirari
Musketeer

Post by Mirari »

Imho this is french favored, but not as clear as some people think.

No point for French to try winning this in age 2. I generally like cav semi over musk semi, because after you fight in your base and you probably didn't send 700w the stable will be more useful than the rax. ship skirm and make goon/cuir, 8 skirm can kite untill your mass is big enough to protect falcs. just don't overextend right after your age up. I have had pretty good success that way... Doesn't mean a good Rus couldn't win it. Especially on maps with an unprotectable trading route
Pro Player

Post by SoldieR »

5 huss semi is just not plausible. When he is in ur base with 9coss and 15 musk..and u just received 700gold..what are you gonna do? Sacrifice the huss and mm to hopefully push his mass back? Then age with stable only ? And he starts stable prod and...eeughh just an annoying matchup. I think it is so Russia favored that even when I win, it feels extremely difficult, I mean I thought I'd have like 50% wins vs Russia but in 70% O_o
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

makin walls always good idea
but the key is how u will be able to hurt his eco, since his strat is focused on pushing u he basically wont have cav home to def raids (and i guess u know how 2-3cav raid can literally change a game).
If age2 which can work on some maps it's all abt timing push or make him over engage then trap with vill,mm etc
4v 700w for few musk/housing recover then 8xb 700g is good there. early the only issue are his coss, his musk get owned by ur vills+mm, while he at ur base u raid.
saying russian are weak in general seems so wrong to me, especially when u consider how std map can advantage them
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

What I do with Germany (credit to mitoe) is get early TP/TP in transition 8 bows 3 SW 700g and age up or 3 SW 8 bows and age. I always make like 5 pike first batch and then some more units. If they do the all in 5 musk 5 coss this definitely wins 100%.

To kindda replicate that with french I'm thinking maybe go 3 huss 4 CDB 700g and up while making some musks/bows in the background. You rape and trap their first push with the 3 huss, and then you should be easily able to hold off until age3 imo.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Its simple, wall entire base and 5 cav semi with raid. Or if walling isnt possible, start musk not huss. If map is good do the semi. If bad do the cdb timing to break blockhouse

Imo 1 rax 1 stable, not 2 rax 1 stable because it will allow you to make 5 bows with the 200w u save. Also if under heavy pressure go 700w700c 8bow vs musk or 3 cav vs strelet instead of 700w4cdb 700c unit card

If they go for 9 coss imo its less scary than 5 coss into eco build for boyar timing.

One thing to try could be single rax 10 pike 5 huss semi with 700w 8bow 4v. Obviously always up bith attack and hp in market.
No Flag Mirari
Musketeer

Post by Mirari »

iamsoldier wrote:5 huss semi is just not plausible. When he is in ur base with 9coss and 15 musk..and u just received 700gold..what are you gonna do? Sacrifice the huss and mm to hopefully push his mass back? Then age with stable only ? And he starts stable prod and...eeughh just an annoying matchup. I think it is so Russia favored that even when I win, it feels extremely difficult, I mean I thought I''d have like 50% wins vs Russia but in 70% O_o
i mean...yes. sacrifice huss and mm, 2-3 cdb and 80% of your tc hp if necessary. you will be 1 age ahead with at least equal eco. You don''t need the rax in early fort imo, he will mix in stable against skirm/cannon, so you need more anticav than a 5 goon shipment. 8-15 skirm are enough to kite or focus down musks. It''s not like russia can contest your skirm mass anyway.
Germany koenigerik1
Pro Player
ESO: snowww

Post by koenigerik1 »

lol are u all serious?
musk hus ftw.. gg rus
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

You have much to learn young padawan
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

calmyourtits wrote:You have much to learn young padawan
Erik has been always victorious with such strat no matter what is his opponent playing x)
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Who still plays good rus though? Its not like heroes is even 1/5th a darwin. I miss him :(
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

umeu wrote:Who still plays good rus though?
yeah thats the main point

http://www.rts-sanctuary.com/The-Asian- ... 213677&amp'#entry2339344

http://www.rts-sanctuary.com/The-Asian- ... 208432&amp'#entry2290062
some fre vs russ recs i watched couple time few years back (well, i watched pretty much all his recs on rts/japanwebsite :p)
those two include water, but there are some op recs on land to if search well
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham