Does Trample have any use?

No Flag mikmonk
Crossbow

Post by mikmonk »

I was wondering if you should ever put your horses in trample mode?
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

To be blunt, nope. The only situation where it may seem viable is against low hp minutemen, if you don't want to commit all your cav to fighting them and instead only send 1 cav in trample mode. But you still damage yourself by doing so, and a good player may even recognize your switch to trample and be able to micro around it.
No Flag cowhax
Skirmisher

Post by cowhax »

Trample can be effective but only under specific circumstances. Like the terrain has to favor your cavs ability to get in close quickly so you don't lose or heavily damage too many cav vs whichever ranged units. Also if you have any armor upgrades it's a bit more efffective and can allow your cav to potentially be preserved for longer. If you send advanced arsenal for the cavalry cuirass in age 2 rather than FF you'll basically have age 3 cav available faster at a cheaper cost, and without having to compromise not building villagers. But to send advanced arsenal means you're not sending something else that could be just as good, or more effective more immediately.

Advanced arsenal can be a way to buy more time. Like if you have to garrison all your villagers during an infantry raid, and you already have some cav made, or say they're low life after their own raid, and you only have like 4 or less, you can send them into the infantry, set them to trample (at least one), then have your town center be able to 1 shot all the infantry that were affected by the trample.

I compare the use of trample almost to high templar psionic storm from Brood War. Trample is like a spell your cavalry can cast which might end up getting them killed, but in the end it was worth it because of the damage you did in return. But I don't think every civ has the benefit of using trample effectively. Like China's steppe riders are a bad choice for using trample because they have very low HP. Meanwhile I think hussar and especially Uhlan can use it well if the circumstances are right. Considering Germany gets Uhlan with any shipment in age 2 or higher, trample can be strong and surprising vs the other player if they have you garrisoned up, and your shipment doesn't have to be a military shipment to be able to defend.

In conclusion I think it's better to use defensively than offensively, and in early-mid game. You just can't count on cav to path intelligently around your infantry and to the enemy's infantry, and be able to hit enough with the trample to make it a worthy risk. Also it's probably terrible to use vs musks and most pikemen.
Canada DivineFire
Lancer

Post by DivineFire »

I'd stick with Mitoes answer on this one, there is unfortunately almost no circumstance where trample mode could be effective.
Taunt 3
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

I havnt tested it. I'll test it on stream with someone when I get back. Pretty sure the answer is never. I've never in 10 years of playing this game had it used on me to any effect. Usually that sort of thing rises to the top quickly if it's any good.
Canada Mitoe

Post by Mitoe »

If nothing else, your cavalry looks mighty graceful whilst in trample mode. That's gotta be a plus, right?
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

ye for bming when you had it billion timez won and opponent doesn't resign
Image Image Image
No Flag aoefan4life
Lancer

Post by aoefan4life »

Does trample make cav more tanky? It might be good in early game situations if that's the case.
Switzerland _venox_
Howdah
ESO: _Venox_

Post by _venox_ »

They make a nice formation, so good use in scenarios for example.
Don't let the things you can't change dictate your life.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

To kill mm quickly with a huss or something aeems to be the only viable use. Atleast thats how ive used it some times. But usually its too much hassle and u have enough cav..
No Flag aoefan4life
Lancer

Post by aoefan4life »

I think this would have to be tested for sure but trample seems to nerf your cav pretty hard lol
Canada Mitoe

Post by Mitoe »

Trample mode often does more damage to yourself than your opponent.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

mitoe wrote:Trample mode often does more damage to yourself than your opponent.
I miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin maybe if you see some skirms mismicroed too far away from goons and you can get 1-2 free hits with trample it would be good.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Canada Mitoe

Post by Mitoe »

You would do so much damage to yourself that the skirms could kill you.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

mitoe wrote:You would do so much damage to yourself that the skirms could kill you.
Actually I saw this on an old forum, I think maybe if you raid a bunch of vills close together on a gold mine or animal it could be good.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
No Flag cowhax
Skirmisher

Post by cowhax »

^against CDB or settler wagons maybe. They're the only settlers that don't have melee resist. Trample nerfs your normal cav damage, so it'd be optimal to use it on units that don't have melee resist. Again, I think it's very situational when it could be useful, and you'd probably just want to use standard hussar/cossack/uhlan cav for it, since they're more expendable. Or maybe on a map like Great Plains if you got Cheyenne riders you could maybe use trample with them. GP has very limited gold but an abundance of wood is the only reason I mention this. And the bison shipment is a nice plus.
No Flag mnogud
Lancer

Post by mnogud »

switching to trample, all ur cav does is just stands there and shags. They're pathetic
Portugal Kazamkikaz
Dragoon
ESO: Kazamkikaz

Re: Does Trample have any use?

Post by Kazamkikaz »

trample mode slow your cav, decrease the cav attack, make them take more damage and just give them area damage to make same damage ( decreased) to all army in that specific area, so only way to use it better is in villagers who colleting from 1 animal ( in circle) or in mine or in 1 tree, other way it doesnt seen good, cant do it even vs light infantry because u lost speed and take more damage for each normal enime damage, my question is u receive multiple enime damage or just increase some % to enime attack ?
My Youtube channel

"If you can't win the fight
don't take the fight"-Aizamk 2016
Turkey LONEWOLF123
Dragoon
ESO: LONE_WOLF123

Post by LONEWOLF123 »

_H2O wrote:I havnt tested it. I'll test it on stream with someone when I get back. Pretty sure the answer is never. I've never in 10 years of playing this game had it used on me to any effect. Usually that sort of thing rises to the top quickly if it's any good.

use it agianst 1hp minutemen
Portugal Kazamkikaz
Dragoon
ESO: Kazamkikaz

Post by Kazamkikaz »

trample mode vs infantry or cav doesnt work, i tested it in nilla editor 8-) , 1 hussar vs 3 strelets:
First test NO TRAMPLE MODE: all 3 strelets dead after 9 damage received, hussard hp 244
Second test TRAMPLE MODE: all 3 strelets dead after (with good micro) 6 damage, hussard hp 70 :roll: :? really bad
My Youtube channel

"If you can't win the fight
don't take the fight"-Aizamk 2016