Great tips for big noobs to get from zero to hero

No Flag Prehyo
Crossbow

Post by Prehyo »

Hi all, if you guys have some good tips for people that are just beginning to the game (like me) feel free to post them here in this thread plz :)
It can be general stuff but it would be also nice if you could like give some tips that not that many people know, like little tricks on how to improve you macro for example ')

Greetz Prehyo
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Use groups, use tab, make vills and units^^
No Flag Prehyo
Crossbow

Post by Prehyo »

diarouga wrote:Use groups, use tab, make vills and units^^
Hahaha thanx :)
No Flag kokiloki
Musketeer

Post by kokiloki »

Where is tab used for?
No Flag titumir
Musketeer

Post by titumir »

*I believe best way to play with good players , see how they play and search for different moves they do .
* For example when i started i was impressed to see how people Garrison and eject vills from TC so fast to reduce distance . I searched for it got it in shortkey . GO option -> shortkeys and play with them.
*If you want to be a better team player , play with better players ask what to do and just do it until u master it, its must.
* If u want to be really good in 1 vs 1 experience does matter , u know all h20 or Blackstar builds still cant beat them , cause experience and decision making wins games in 1 vs 1. so play more and just master.
* try to play with expert pc to increase APM ( Your mouse click make faster ) . I guess thats all.

And last , if you dont want to be good in the game , dnt worry plenty of noobs still play in both ESO, GR. You will still get fun.
No Flag bart331
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by bart331 »

Play otto -> free pixel points
No Flag Prehyo
Crossbow

Post by Prehyo »

titumir wrote:*I believe best way to play with good players , see how they play and search for different moves they do .
* For example when i started i was impressed to see how people Garrison and eject vills from TC so fast to reduce distance . I searched for it got it in shortkey . GO option ->' shortkeys and play with them.
*If you want to be a better team player , play with better players ask what to do and just do it until u master it, its must.
* If u want to be really good in 1 vs 1 experience does matter , u know all h20 or Blackstar builds still cant beat them , cause experience and decision making wins games in 1 vs 1. so play more and just master.
* try to play with expert pc to increase APM ( Your mouse click make faster ) . I guess thats all.

And last , if you dont want to be good in the game , dnt worry plenty of noobs still play in both ESO, GR. You will still get fun.
Thanx alot, this will help me alot I think to get better in 1v1 ')
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Watch casted games between high level players, that's where I learned probably 60% of ALL i know. I watched Veni's videos on the PK clna tournament, you can find them on his youtube channel they are over a year old.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

Pick a civ, learn it in its entirety (with multiple strats), and then move on the other civs. Understand that people do not become experts overnight, it may be many months before you feel you have a strong grasp of the game.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
No Flag bugattivitesse
Skirmisher

Post by bugattivitesse »

With all civs, maintain constant villager production.

And also, find a semi pro on youtube and watch their videos. My favorite is interjection.

Record games vs better players on unrated to see what they do.

Always have a plan or strategy in mind, never go in and play whatever. (online at least)

Raid your opponents vills with cav to get an edge over him in eco.

Hope this helps!
No Flag purplesquid
Dragoon
Donator 03

Post by purplesquid »

My advice would be to make sure you play focused. Playing when tired or drunk can still be fun, but it is not going to help you get better. Also, always be doing something during the game. Even things as mundane as scouting or heading a hunt can be game changing.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Proper mentality.

Don't play to win, play to acquire experience and learn about the game. Mechanics come naturally through just playing, you don't even have to go try-hard to acquire them, just play regularly.

e: in b4 "incog u pos u don't follow ur own adviceu kno" yes. I know.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag divine_moon
Dragoon

Post by divine_moon »

incog wrote:Proper mentality.

Don''t play to win, play to acquire experience and learn about the game. Mechanics come naturally through just playing, you don''t even have to go try-hard to acquire them, just play regularly.

e: in b4 "incog u pos u don''t follow ur own adviceu kno" yes. I know.
IT DOESN''T i play regularly and still play like a noob, someone improve me please?
Switzerland _venox_
Howdah
ESO: _Venox_

Post by _venox_ »

divinemoon wrote:

Dont play to win, play to acquire experience and learn about the game. Mechanics come naturally through just playing, you dont even have to go try-hard to acquire them, just play regularly.

e: in b4 "incog u pos u dont follow ur own adviceu kno" yes. I know.
IT DOESNT i play regularly and still play like a noob, someone improve me please?
I will improve you. Most important things already have been said: constant vill prod., herd animals towards your town centre (every 12 seconds or so), age up on time (4.20-5 depending on civ), pick a build order you know will work (as french send 4 vill or 700w for example), learn the unit counter system (having multipliers isnt all that counts though, musk still do good vs xbows and arent hard countered), only fight battles youre sure to win else run, try to keep an eye on the minimap to spot raids (ALT+F if necessary), try to copy a good strategy/recorded game, just have general interest in the game (so you will watch videos and learn more generally about it), once you have a general understanding of each civ you can pick one and stick with it for a while, learning about specific matchups what each side tries to do in order to win and how you can play on your adv. and on enemy disadv., and multitask should come by itself, no need to focus on that alone.
Don't let the things you can't change dictate your life.
Great Britain CuCkO0
Dragoon
ESO: CuCkO0

Post by CuCkO0 »

3 vil, 700c, 700w, 8 jans, 2 falc and or 5 mams
KINGofOsmane wrote:If Elo is down what are we even fighting for
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

divinemoon wrote:

Dont play to win, play to acquire experience and learn about the game. Mechanics come naturally through just playing, you dont even have to go try-hard to acquire them, just play regularly.

e: in b4 "incog u pos u dont follow ur own adviceu kno" yes. I know.
IT DOESNT i play regularly and still play like a noob, someone improve me please?

Mechanics is stuff like villager and military unit production, low idle villager time and micro / multi-tasking. Im not going to pretend to be a good player or anything but generally speaking after you play a couple of games you should start getting "feelings". You can "feel" that your production is good (no idle villagers, no idle production). It becomes second nature.

It can really help to take ONE build and learn it perfectly, it becomes easier to distinguish when youre playing well and when youre not. A French semi is probably the best thing to practice that with. That, or a good rush.

Dont play Otto though because you dont actually do anything.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
You have not set your flag, click to select your flag. Marco1698

Post by Marco1698 »

Play Otto and don't forget to make villagers. At the start of their careers players go for ageII late. This because they don't take all food in ageI. So i can tell you, since start put your villagers to food and when you can pass, do it as early as possible for you. Watch many replays and learn thoughts and builds which best players do.
You can find very good replays on this website "rts-sanctuary.com"
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

I hit the alt key a lot early game. In general you should realize that the advice you get will only get you to the rating of the person giving it. I haven't met many people yet who know everything there is to know but simply can't execute it.

When I was first trying to improve I focused on good players but not great players. I always have felt that the best are doing so many little things and often have a style of their own. It's a lot harder to emulate that than it is to emulate a pr 30-35 player first. Then you can grow from there.
No Flag divine_moon
Dragoon

Post by divine_moon »

venox wrote:
divinemoon wrote:IT DOESNT i play regularly and still play like a noob, someone improve me please?
I will improve you. Most important things already have been said: constant vill prod., herd animals towards your town centre (every 12 seconds or so), age up on time (4.20-5 depending on civ), pick a build order you know will work (as french send 4 vill or 700w for example), learn the unit counter system (having multipliers isnt all that counts though, musk still do good vs xbows and arent hard countered), only fight battles youre sure to win else run, try to keep an eye on the minimap to spot raids (ALT+F if necessary), try to copy a good strategy/recorded game, just have general interest in the game (so you will watch videos and learn more generally about it), once you have a general understanding of each civ you can pick one and stick with it for a while, learning about specific matchups what each side tries to do in order to win and how you can play on your adv. and on enemy disadv., and multitask should come by itself, no need to focus on that alone.

Been Playing a lot of Sioux off late, i should possibly switch to a "proper" civ huh? btw i like what your sig says :thumbsup:
moving slowly to either Russia/ Germany lesse if they hold better fortune :P

incog wrote:Mechanics is stuff like villager and military unit production, low idle villager time and micro / multi-tasking. Im not going to pretend to be a good player or anything but generally speaking after you play a couple of games you should start getting "feelings". You can "feel" that your production is good (no idle villagers, no idle production). It becomes second nature.

It can really help to take ONE build and learn it perfectly, it becomes easier to distinguish when youre playing well and when youre not. A French semi is probably the best thing to practice that with. That, or a good rush.

Dont play Otto though because you dont actually do anything.

I get what u "feel" mate, i usually screw up with the vills.. :( i make them correctly, but tasking them to resources is screw-up-able .. :(

I dont play otto incog, otto jani + Abus rushes are lame... i can fend them off even with sioux, then hit so hard its not even funny :D

h2o wrote:I hit the alt key a lot early game. In general you should realize that the advice you get will only get you to the rating of the person giving it. I havent met many people yet who know everything there is to know but simply cant execute it.

When I was first trying to improve I focused on good players but not great players. I always have felt that the best are doing so many little things and often have a style of their own. Its a lot harder to emulate that than it is to emulate a pr 30-35 player first. Then you can grow from there.
doesnt the alt give the health bar on to of the units? dunno.. :whistling:
tried your build with the sioux, it works quite well, gotta try the builds against japan &' india, :praise:

Thanx for the response guys! :D
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

Well, these posts so far haven't been that great. These things are the basic and won't get you from "zero to hero" Like really guys. Telling someone to keep making vills constantly or remember to heard? That's something even a sergeant can achieve. However Ryan's comment make sense and that's one option to improve. I feel like playing lots of games vs good opponent can take you very far. Small tricks can be taken to your gameplay by watching others.
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

on top of everything said, I would tell you to get a good 'all purpose' civ like france to play at first, it will help you practice all the basics, making the transition to other civs latter much easier then if you played only oto/sioux.
No Flag divine_moon
Dragoon

Post by divine_moon »

lemmings121 wrote:on top of everything said, I would tell you to get a good ''all purpose'' civ like france to play at first, it will help you practice all the basics, making the transition to other civs latter much easier then if you played only oto/sioux.
yea, figured that i overused sioux for too long, having to switch back to a "normal" civ :P

i''m thinking of going Russia, i could try France (sooo many people seem to mention france), are any of the native american/ asian civs relatively balanced?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I would stress that the only way to really get somewhere in terms of skill is by simply playing the game. A lot.

I'm not talking 10 hours a week, I'm talking 20+
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

calmyourtits wrote:All of the previous tips help but the only way to really get somewhere in terms of skill is by simply playing the game. A lot.

+1
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers