Great tips for big noobs to get from zero to hero

France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

princeofkabul wrote:
calmyourtits wrote:All of the previous tips help but the only way to really get somewhere in terms of skill is by simply playing the game. A lot.
+1
+2
No Flag Prehyo
Crossbow

Post by Prehyo »

Thank you all for the good tips so far! :) One question: Is it important with which civ you start playing first? Is there like a civ you master best first (not talking about otto or iroquis)?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

It's important you start with a civ you like and stick with it for a while until you learn basic mechanics necessary to play on a higher level.

What would you say is your playstyle, aggressive or adaptive? In other words, do you want to control the direction of the game or constantly change your plan to counter your opponent's? In AoE3 terms, the first style would be aggressive civs like Iro, Otto, France, etc and the second would be eco civs like Japan, Brit, India, etc.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

I would not start with Otto simply because you have to get used to constantly making vills. I would also not pick an warchiefs or dynasties civ because they are so much different from the others. French, Brits, Spain, German, Ports, Dutch and Russia are all fine I guess.
Palestine Mimsy for President
Jaeger

Post by Mimsy for President »

calmyourtits wrote:I would stress that the only way to really get somewhere in terms of skill is by simply playing the game. A lot.

I''m not talking 10 hours a week, I''m talking 20+
This may work but it''s one of the most inefficient ways to succeed, even irl. A newbie will gain the experience way too slowly &' it might be biased especially in the beginning. Get this experience from pro players. Ask them or watch their videos. Back in the day I didn''t know how to deal with iro as otto (it''s not like otto sucks but still, it does a bit. Let''s admit it :P). I found the key after watching GoodSpeed vs MusketJr (GS youtube channel).

It also goes for _H2O''s recent brit recs. Now I know 700w 600w 5v is certainly the optimal bo rather than 700w 5v 600w (especially in mirror). He gave me the spine of my new brit play. I just have to add some changes : if my opponent goes for lb/pike, I add a stable with 600w instead of 2nd rax.

Same as french vs german ?ber semi-ff. LordImperialist spent his time watching my recs &' explaining how to play this mu. He gave me tips &' some of his secrets. Very kind of him.
Diarouga helped me too with my Indian play &' vills-resource distrubution.

The moral of my cool story is : Why would you mine diamonds when the jewelers can give you some ? :evilgrin:

Trying not to repeat the same mistakes over and over again is the main secret. Play smarter not harder !
Palestine Mimsy for President
Jaeger

Post by Mimsy for President »

As Socrates said : I know that I know nothing. So if you could give any kind of tips in ESO or here, I would stop being Jon Snow.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

deleted_user wrote:Besides the good advice already given, a couple things that have helped me to improve are in the options. You want very far camera zoom and you want to make sure "find unit" does *not* center camera on them, just double tap the button to do that.
OMG THERE IS AN OPTION FOR NOT CENTERING THE CAMERA?!?!? YOU MEAN I CAN GET MY SHIPMENT UNITS RALLIED TO THE BATTLE WITOUTH LEAVING THE BATTLE?!?!? WHAT SORCERY IS THIS?

Also btw OP, there is also an option called "easy military drag", I would leave it disabled :D. If you have it on, when you dragbox around vills+military units, only the units will be selected. This really sucks if your army is on top of your vills protecting a herd, and you suddenly get attacked. Just have easy military drag off, and when you select everything with dragbox, hold control and click on the picture of the units that you want selected.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
No Flag bart331
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by bart331 »

shaolinstar wrote:
calmyourtits wrote:I would stress that the only way to really get somewhere in terms of skill is by simply playing the game. A lot.

Im not talking 10 hours a week, Im talking 20+
This may work but its one of the most inefficient ways to succeed, even irl. A newbie will gain the experience way too slowly & it might be biased especially in the beginning. Get this experience from pro players. Ask them or watch their videos. Back in the day I didnt know how to deal with iro as otto (its not like otto sucks but still, it does a bit. Lets admit it :P). I found the key after watching GoodSpeed vs MusketJr (GS?youtube channel).

It also goes for _H2Os recent brit recs. Now I know 700w 600w 5v is certainly the optimal bo rather than 700w 5v 600w (especially in mirror). He gave me the spine of my new brit play. I just have to add some changes : if my opponent goes for lb/pike, I add a stable with 600w instead of 2nd rax.

Same as french vs german ?ber semi-ff. LordImperialist spent his time watching my recs & explaining how to play this mu. He gave me tips & some of his secrets. Very kind of him.
Diarouga helped me too with my Indian play & vills-resource distrubution.

The moral of my cool story is : Why would you mine diamonds when the jewelers can give you some ?? :evilgrin:

Trying not to repeat the same mistakes over and over again is the main secret. Play?smarter not harder !

Yes but you need to play in order to master micro/ macro / scouting and decision making, play tons especialy against better opponents and u will learn
Switzerland _venox_
Howdah
ESO: _Venox_

Post by _venox_ »

Watch this trice a day and you gain 1 pr a day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa0lMzaljTk
Don't let the things you can't change dictate your life.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

gotta drink da herculade
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Switzerland _venox_
Howdah
ESO: _Venox_

Post by _venox_ »

+1
Don't let the things you can't change dictate your life.
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

ovi12 wrote:
deleted_user wrote:Besides the good advice already given, a couple things that have helped me to improve are in the options. You want very far camera zoom and you want to make sure "find unit" does *not* center camera on them, just double tap the button to do that.
OMG THERE IS AN OPTION FOR NOT CENTERING THE CAMERA?!?!? YOU MEAN I CAN GET MY SHIPMENT UNITS RALLIED TO THE BATTLE WITOUTH LEAVING THE BATTLE?!?!? WHAT SORCERY IS THIS?

Also btw OP, there is also an option called "easy military drag", I would leave it disabled :D. If you have it on, when you dragbox around vills+military units, only the units will be selected. This really sucks if your army is on top of your vills protecting a herd, and you suddenly get attacked. Just have easy military drag off, and when you select everything with dragbox, hold control and click on the picture of the units that you want selected.

Actually, Id rather leave the easy military on, because you can actually select vills+military if you hold "Alt" when dragging the box, even with that option checked. I discovered this by accident one of these days!

Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Holy shit I did not know that, my life just improved
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

I would say after every game do a post game analysis of the military pop graphs. Check where u could have more army than opponent. you should have at least basic knowledge of opponent civ, hc cards, timings with different strats and army counts at specific times.
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah

Post by macacoalbino »

calmyourtits wrote:Holy shit I did not know that, my life just improved
lol, I guess it''s possible for pros to learn new things from 1st Lieuts :P

Brazil Nautica
Musketeer
ESO: Marechal_Rondon

Post by Nautica »

You can select idle villagers in groups adding shift to the idle villager hotkey, i personally use shift+space.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

macacoalbino wrote:
ovi12 wrote:OMG THERE IS AN OPTION FOR NOT CENTERING THE CAMERA?!?!? YOU MEAN I CAN GET MY SHIPMENT UNITS RALLIED TO THE BATTLE WITOUTH LEAVING THE BATTLE?!?!? WHAT SORCERY IS THIS?

Actually, Id rather leave the easy military on, because you can actually select vills+military if you hold "Alt" when dragging the box, even with that option checked. I discovered this by accident one of these days!

that is so, so sick

thank you !
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag aoefan4life
Lancer

Post by aoefan4life »

I''m not talking 10 hours a week, I''m talking 20+
This is huge. The ability to find out what you did wrong even if you won or lost. Most of the time you''ll find yourself making mistakes that you can easily identify. You should get beyond these mistakes eventually with enough practice. Try playing vs matchups that are seen as impossible and trying finding the missing holes of why they''re impossible to beat and try fixing it.
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah

Post by macacoalbino »

incog wrote:
macacoalbino wrote:Actually, Id rather leave the easy military on, because you can actually select vills+military if you hold "Alt" when dragging the box, even with that option checked. I discovered this by accident one of these days!
that is so, so sick

thank you !

No problem! You should mind, though, that if you drag the box too far (to the edges of the screen, or above the UI) the box will be there even if you let the mouse button go, so no units will be really selected, it can be pretty annoying. That happened to me numerous times and was hard to identify why it happened

Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Post by yurashic »

Watch Saturday Smackdown every week and you become the best player! :)
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

As a new player yu will quickly find that a little skill goes a long way - 99% of players have no idea what they are doing when they are starting out. This will give you an opportunity to fine tune some strategies and skills. Even if you don't get them right the first few times, it is likely you will still win.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.