Tip of the Day — how to prevent a forward base

Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Tip of the Day — how to prevent a forward base

Post by pecelot »

If you expect your opponent (-s) to rush, you can disturb their plans already in the Discovery Age or just at the beginning of the Colonial. From what I've seen, there are three ways to prevent a forward base from coming into being:

1. Call Minutemen — it's one of the most effective ones I'd say if it's not scouted. MM one-shot a villager, so they can take out the whole forward base crew in just 2/3/4 volleys (depending on the number of vills sent, ofc). It's pretty handy against sush civs like Otto or Russia, when you know they'll send some settlers forward. The most important thing for you is to make sure they do that by scouting it and gather the necessary resources. Coin treasures help a lot, as you need 150c and 150f — food shouldn't be a problem, however, as you can leave your vills on hunts for a little bit longer after clicking to the Colonial Age. Try to snare the vills with your explorer, so that they won't build a FB before your MM arrive (especially blockhouse, in which vills can garrison). It's easier with nations which have more than one starting explorer-type unit, so French (Native Scout), Dutch (Envoy) or Spanish (Dog). If successful, it can become a game-deciding move, since your enemy may not only lose quite a few vills, but also may not build his FB. It's a risky move, though, because you can lose 300 res and a potential to call Minutemen later, who may be very useful when dealing with rushes.

2. Get native warrior treasures — it's pretty similar to the first method in the way that your task is to kill opponent's vills before they manage to build a forward rax/stable/blockhouse/artillery foundry. You can do that by getting as many native warrior treasures placed on the map as possible. The best one out there is certainly an Iroquois Tomahawk with high base damage. A Cherokee Rifleman is also pretty handy, a Nootka Clubman or an Inca Huaminca are a bit worse, since they deal melee damage — it takes longer to kill even a single vill, who has 20% melee resist in addition. Make sure to call every unit possible there, so aforementioned Explorers, Native Scouts, Dogs and Envoys. It doesn't cost you that much, unlike calling the Minutemen (300 resources), and you can kill enemy's vills or even prevent the whole forward base. Worth trying if possible (of course depending on the treasures, but on certain maps there usually are some of them guaranteed, like on Arkansas — an Iroquois Tomahawk)!

3. Disturb an Agra Fort placement — on certain maps there is not a lot of space for an Agra Fort, like on Sonora, Colorado or Mendocino. There are two ways to prevent it from being built:
a) build wall segments in the most obvious spots, where the Agra is likely to be placed;
b) position your explorer-type units there to do the same effect.
That way your opponent will not be able to place the Agra down. You can try to use this method against other civs, but it's especially nice against India since their wonder is big and the longer you delay it, the better. Remember to scout it properly!

4. Siege unfinished buildings — as some of you may have not known, when you siege a building that is being constructed, you deal 4 times as much damage. If you see then that your opponent places a FB, you can start sieging it with your Explorer and native warriors (Nootka Clubman and Inca Huaminca especially useful here!), so that when your army comes you will have an easier job to finish destroying it.

Watch out sometimes, thought, as some of the aforementioned ways are considered lame... But I'll leave the judgement for you!
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Re: Tip of the Day — how to prevent a forward base

Post by BrookG »

I haven't considered MM, nice! As dutch against russia, for example, it isn't hard to find possible fb. The problem is envoy can't siege. I tried to send 8 pikes as first age 2 shipment and it catches them off-guard, but still it's risky
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

It's still a nice way to prevent it, sending 8 pikes. The Envoy can snare vills, and above all he gives you the necessary LOS, while your explorer may get a coin or native warrior treasure.
If you play in team, you can send TEAM 3 Envoys in age 1 to kill the vills :pop:
No Flag LordCharlie_131
Skirmisher
ESO: LordCharlie131

Post by LordCharlie_131 »

Sending MM to kill forward vills is the most annoying stuff in the game. MM arent supposed to be so aggressive and should have a negative multiplier vs vills. Veni says u should protect your Forward vills with your Scouts but against 5 minuteman its sometimes not enough.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

I thought of exactly the same to be honest, but as of right now they are what they are, and if your opponent lames Otto or Iro, you may „lame" him as well a little bit with MM.
And you mean 6 Minutemen, right? ;)
No Flag LordCharlie_131
Skirmisher
ESO: LordCharlie131

Post by LordCharlie_131 »

ofc.
It hurts russia as well and playing russia isnt that lame. tbh partly because of that i often switch from a more classic forward russia rush to a more timing push oriented Play.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Well, there are quite a few ways to defend against such a Minutemen pop. You can scout it and snare with your explorer a little bit, you can hide your FB or just send more vills forward to put it down sooner.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

It's gay, don't do it.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:It's gay, don't do it.

Forward bases are gay
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

pecelot wrote:It's still a nice way to prevent it, sending 8 pikes. The Envoy can snare vills, and above all he gives you the necessary LOS, while your explorer may get a coin or native warrior treasure.
If you play in team, you can send TEAM 3 Envoys in age 1 to kill the vills :pop:

Envoy doesnt snare actually.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Tbh all units you can get in age 1 should have a multiplier vs vils
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
United States of America noissance
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: noissance

Post by noissance »

Building walls and towers around enemy fb is the way to go.
Error 404: Signature not found
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Btw, the inca huminca is actually the best native you can get. I once killed a TP with it when I got one as one of my first treasures.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Jerom wrote:Envoy doesnt snare actually.

Oh, I'm sorry then, I don't really play Dutch xD

noissance wrote:Building walls and towers around enemy fb is the way to go.

Yeah, that can be a solution, too, but well, lame...
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

LordCharlie_131 wrote:Sending MM to kill forward vills is the most annoying stuff in the game. MM arent supposed to be so aggressive and should have a negative multiplier vs vills. Veni says u should protect your Forward vills with your Scouts but against 5 minuteman its sometimes not enough.

If you are building your base so far forward that sending MM to stop it from going up is even an option, then you deserve to lose vils.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by Papist »

Kaiserklein wrote:Tbh all units you can get in age 1 should have a multiplier vs vils

You might as well make all the unit treasures native scouts then. Because that's all they'll be good for. Seriously, why do people want to nerf anything that interferes with their "cookie cutter" builds?
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Papist wrote:
Kaiserklein wrote:Tbh all units you can get in age 1 should have a multiplier vs vils

You might as well make all the unit treasures native scouts then. Because that's all they'll be good for. Seriously, why do people want to nerf anything that interferes with their "cookie cutter" builds?

native treasures can be exceptionally gay. And it's a mechanic that you can't do anything about either. Like, you're playing india, and the guy gets a tomahawk. You cant place forward agra anymore and you might still lose a villager, plus you cant really hunt treasures properly anymore and rip.
No Flag hunter
Dragoon

Post by hunter »

Jerom wrote:
Papist wrote:

native treasures can be exceptionally gay. And it's a mechanic that you can't do anything about either. Like, you're playing india, and the guy gets a tomahawk. You cant place forward agra anymore and you might still lose a villager, plus you cant really hunt treasures properly anymore and rip.
That is where understanding of map and treasures come into play.
Jerom wrote: Garja is a better player than most of us here
Jerom wrote:Please don't bump old threads, especially when all you have to say is "lol"
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

hunter wrote:
Jerom wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Theres only so much you can do about him finding a native. With so much I mean pray to garja.
No Flag hunter
Dragoon

Post by hunter »

Jerom wrote:
hunter wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Theres only so much you can do about him finding a native. With so much I mean pray to garja.

Well TBH I can't say I have played much on ESOC maps, because I haven't, but there is always some pattern in treasures, for example let's go to classic nilla GP, you can usually predict where treasures will be for ex. 95 80f 75c etc are most of the time on sides of the map 140f tends to spawn more in mid than sides etc.. ofcourse it's not 100% but you can always know about places where finding a native tres on a specific map is high chance
Jerom wrote: Garja is a better player than most of us here
Jerom wrote:Please don't bump old threads, especially when all you have to say is "lol"
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

I think sending mm is a valid option. I never do it because you dont have to on EP maps and its actually a huge risk. E.g if you send mm against russia and the base goes up nonetheless ( you maybe kill 1 vill or 2 ) you are kinda screwed. Because without the mm threat russia becomes a lot stronger. Furthermore proper scouting can actually prevent any losses if you have your explorer actively searching for mms you should never lose anything to it. Snare is just to stronk
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

The problem is also that mm can't really been done on without planning on doing it. Like, you cant see the vills randomly and just instantly decide to pop mm.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Papist wrote:You might as well make all the unit treasures native scouts then. Because that's all they'll be good for. Seriously, why do people want to nerf anything that interferes with their "cookie cutter" builds?

You shouldn't really be able to deny a fb just because you were lucky enough to find a nat treasure. In some mus you have to fb, for example if you're russia or azzie and you can't fb just because the guy was lucky to find a nat, you can just lose the game. Just for a treasure. Or if it's a map with far hunts, he can deny your hunts by preventing you from herding them, which is gay as well.
And fyi a native warrior treasure can still be useful even if the nat can't kill vils. As germany I often pick them, because you can scout better + defend your explorer (germany is weak in age 1, if i'm vs france for example I'm glad to have an extra soldier) or kill the opponent's explorer. And even later it's still 1 unit, in early game it can matter, if you get a huaminca/nootka/toma in a cav war (like 2 uhlans vs 2 uhlans early on) it can swing the fight in your favour. Or if you're china and you get a nat warrior it's another guy to defend your ff.

hunter wrote:That is where understanding of map and treasures come into play.

Most often it's luck or having a scouting/fighting advantage with your civ. What kind of understanding of map and treasures can make you win age 1 against sioux who has a rifleman ? Or as india against french native scout ?

hunter wrote:Well TBH I can't say I have played much on ESOC maps, because I haven't, but there is always some pattern in treasures, for example let's go to classic nilla GP, you can usually predict where treasures will be for ex. 95 80f 75c etc are most of the time on sides of the map 140f tends to spawn more in mid than sides etc.. ofcourse it's not 100% but you can always know about places where finding a native tres on a specific map is high chance

GP has zero pattern, the treasures spawn 100% randomly, I've played it so many times as a nilla scrub yet you never find a pattern. On some esoc maps it's true, like kamchatka or manchuria, but on some others it's random as well, like for example the new maps, afaik.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by Papist »

Jerom wrote:
Papist wrote:

And that's a problem? Why should you be able to go for the exact same strat every single game without getting punished for it? That early native might be your only chance of catching up vs India with a forward Agra, especially on maps like Klondike where all the hunts and mines spawn in the middle.

Kaiserklein wrote:
Papist wrote:You might as well make all the unit treasures native scouts then. Because that's all they'll be good for. Seriously, why do people want to nerf anything that interferes with their "cookie cutter" builds?

You shouldn't really be able to deny a fb just because you were lucky enough to find a nat treasure. In some mus you have to fb, for example if you're russia or azzie and you can't fb just because the guy was lucky to find a nat, you can just lose the game. Just for a treasure. Or if it's a map with far hunts, he can deny your hunts by preventing you from herding them, which is gay as well.
And fyi a native warrior treasure can still be useful even if the nat can't kill vils. As germany I often pick them, because you can scout better + defend your explorer (germany is weak in age 1, if i'm vs france for example I'm glad to have an extra soldier) or kill the opponent's explorer. And even later it's still 1 unit, in early game it can matter, if you get a huaminca/nootka/toma in a cav war (like 2 uhlans vs 2 uhlans early on) it can swing the fight in your favour. Or if you're china and you get a nat warrior it's another guy to defend your ff.

Again, why should you be able to do the exact same build (especially if your opponent knows what you're doing) every single game without consequences? I understand that early nats are very good for applying pressure, but shouldn't they be? After all, the guy with the nat had to spend time taking that treasure, time that could have been spent scouting and picking up resource treasures. And we all know that vil and fb harassment is all those nats are really good for; if they had a negative multiplier against vils, NOBODY would pick them up. Because no matter how good they are in theoretical 2 uhlan vs 2 uhlan fights, they aren't worth it 99.99% of the time if you can't pressure with them.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Losing vills because of a native or being denied out of the only things that work, all by the might of random chance, isnt the result of only trying one strat.. I dont even know how you can argue that.

The native singlehandedly denies many things, which means you cant do the things that actually work. Like, you started out doing 10/10 as india and then he gets a native. Time to lose a villager lol.

And if you think "the native scout if your only chance vs india" its probably time to stop arguing.