Defending without wall laming?

Sweden leaf4
Dragoon

Defending without wall laming?

Post by leaf4 »

I understand building placement a bit, and the fact you need to villagers fight. But tips on these things...any other things?
thebritish wrote: AA>going fortress
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Re: Defending without wall laming?

Post by dietschlander »

Towers and castle are the way to go imo
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

Poke and draw back as often as possible, make your opponent waste time under your tc and get as many shots fired as possible. Also: watch your tc shots, if possible, just kill them down to minimum hp and dont overkill - rest will be done by occasional villagers popping out of tc. Call Minute Men at the right time, e.g. together with a unit shipment that complements the MM or if the opponents arme can be sandwiched with them

that being said: a little wall does you a big favor with some civs like japan or i'd say dutch against potentially rushing civs
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

A little before you try to engage you can send your explorer to die so that you can buy him back at full hp from the TC so he can snare as long as possible once the minutemen and your units come out. If the fight is still going on below your TC you can continue buying him when he's dead just to tank.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Post by Dsy »

Make units and shoot down the enemies.
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

Be careful to not waste your units before the MM+shipment timing!

New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Why would you not use walls?
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

You can also try to take down units that counter yours with the TC. For instance, if you're about to pop 8 skirms, you can target hand cav so that it doesn't kill your reinforcements.
^ @zoom , cause they are paper-thin now!
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

It's a good way to challenge yourself also ^^

Sweden leaf4
Dragoon

Post by leaf4 »

I have just seem some very good non-wall trapping and even trapping with walls, I asked this because I know how to defend with walls, but without them It seems a bit rough to me. I will stay in my towncenter losing gather time ( i know 9 villagers is max damage ) but sometimes its hard to still gather if there at your doorstep.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

send cm tc, dont waste tc shot on low hp units, instead punch with vils or shoot with explorer
Sweden leaf4
Dragoon

Post by leaf4 »

And yes I recently got the ESOC patch and walls melt like steel beams
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

macacoalbino wrote:It's a good way to challenge yourself also ^^

True, I used to wall, too, but now I don't as it's indeed more challenging and forces you to find different solutions to the problem how to defend against rushes.
leaf4 wrote: I will stay in my towncenter losing gather time ( i know 9 villagers is max damage )

gibson wrote:send cm tc, dont waste tc shot on low hp units, instead punch with vils or shoot with explorer

Well, you can kill these low-HP units so that they aren't a threat anymore, instead of randomly damaging various units, which will have a much smaller benefit.
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

Depending on how low their HP is. If you kan kill it with a villager punch or an explorer attack go for it.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

If you've got a unit with 30 hp left, you get just pop a few vils out and punch it instead of having a 90 hp shot kill it.....
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

If you plan on doing a popup with a shipment, MM, units and so on a wall may sometimes just be worse.
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

There's some great tips in my Japan guide on vil fighting.

Another big skill that's hard to teach: building placement and how you use it. That one there is an h2o explains that shows a pretty brutal Japan building trap against France. Don't close things off entirely and don't build your base in a way that makes it harder for you to defend. Often times small gaps are great for messing up cav patching or a less skilled opponent. Just make sure you don't zone yourself out of a good defending position. (This is very hard to explain in words and is better by example. If someone can link that Japan video it's a good one. )

Other tips:

1. Revive euro explorer in hand attack and snare enemy infantry with minutes.

2. Never kill a unit with your tc, always get them low. This causes three benefits. 1. It keeps their population fuller of low hp units. 2. It makes an inexperienced opponent more confident. 3. It maximizes dps. A great example is the sepoy. 3 tc shots to kill it. Or 2 tc shots and one European explorer shot (1.5x more dps just by managing this.)

3. Sync shipments, batches, minutes.

4. As an Asians civ halb minutes are way more useful than sentries. They just are a better unit. Usually they provide you the snare you need and since they decay slowly sometimes it's worth it just to get unbelled.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

leaf4 wrote:And yes I recently got the ESOC patch and walls melt like steel beams
Fortunate, then, that they are cheaper than shit.
Austria KINGofOsmane
Pro Player
ESO: KINGofOsmane

Post by KINGofOsmane »

_H2O wrote:There's some great tips in my Japan guide on vil fighting.

Another big skill that's hard to teach: building placement and how you use it. That one there is an h2o explains that shows a pretty brutal Japan building trap against France. Don't close things off entirely and don't build your base in a way that makes it harder for you to defend. Often times small gaps are great for messing up cav patching or a less skilled opponent. Just make sure you don't zone yourself out of a good defending position. (This is very hard to explain in words and is better by example. If someone can link that Japan video it's a good one. )

Other tips:

1. Revive euro explorer in hand attack and snare enemy infantry with minutes.

2. Never kill a unit with your tc, always get them low. This causes three benefits. 1. It keeps their population fuller of low hp units. 2. It makes an inexperienced opponent more confident. 3. It maximizes dps. A great example is the sepoy. 3 tc shots to kill it. Or 2 tc shots and one European explorer shot (1.5x more dps just by managing this.)

3. Sync shipments, batches, minutes.

4. As an Asians civ halb minutes are way more useful than sentries. They just are a better unit. Usually they provide you the snare you need and since they decay slowly sometimes it's worth it just to get unbelled.

the second point is pretty interesting coz i always focus on killing the low hp units with my tc before i start fight (if i can wait that long)
"Losing to Callen was the worst night of my life" Gibthedurrty 2019
"If hazza can get pr42 with team i can get pr50 with 1v1" Gibthedurrty 2018
Lecastete wrote: Dude i hate this game. I am bad and i also dont have luck
Tete cs:go experience
Switzerland _venox_
Howdah
ESO: _Venox_

Post by _venox_ »

You can also try to send less than 10 villagers inside the tc to exactly 2 shot a musketeer etc. This way you also won't waste dps and also decrease their damage output.
Don't let the things you can't change dictate your life.
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06

Post by _H2O »

If a 10 hp hussar blocks a full hp one then dies before finishing his animation seems like that would have been better off deleted :P. Or if he engages and 4-5 hussar die instantly that changes things.
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06

Post by _H2O »

_venox_ wrote:You can also try to send less than 10 villagers inside the tc to exactly 2 shot a musketeer etc. This way you also won't waste dps and also decrease their damage output.

This one is good.

Or if you know you need the dps still keep 10 and just keep changing muskets after each shot.

Never have more than 10 Vils in the tc. another core skill is in garrisoning all your Vils and grabbing exactly 10 to put back in the tc very quickly.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

If you have skirms or crossbows, one of two gated wall segments can do miracles. Its not really wall laming ala kynesie but it is really effective.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

ovi12 wrote:A little before you try to engage you can send your explorer to die so that you can buy him back at full hp from the TC so he can snare as long as possible once the minutemen and your units come out. If the fight is still going on below your TC you can continue buying him when he's dead just to tank.

You pay 100g and your opponent gets 100g, so basically your explorer costs 200g. I don't think it's worth the investment. Plus if your opponent is good you actually won't be able to snare his army with explo (he will pull back the snared unit) and he won't target the explo either since it tanks so hard.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

_H2O wrote:2. Never kill a unit with your tc, always get them low. This causes three benefits. 1. It keeps their population fuller of low hp units. 2. It makes an inexperienced opponent more confident. 3. It maximizes dps. A great example is the sepoy. 3 tc shots to kill it. Or 2 tc shots and one European explorer shot (1.5x more dps just by managing this.)

Are you sure the benefit of this isn't less interesting than reducing your opponent's dps by killing low hp units ? Whether he's sieging or fighting your units he will have more dps if you don't kill low hp units
Also some units are really interesting to snipe with tc, for example sniping abus guns with 2 shots, or high siege damage units that would cause too much damage if you wait, shouldn't we break the rule for those ones ?
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..