Are Priest Actually Viable?

No Flag purplesquid
Dragoon
Donator 03

Are Priest Actually Viable?

Post by purplesquid »

I understand that priests are not the most used unit in the game. In fact, they are hardly used at all. I was wondering though, in perfect play would they not be cost effective?

To start they cost 100 wood (church cost) plus 200 gold. This sounds like a lot, but if they significantly heal even 1 major unit (i.e. merc or cannon) they immediately pay for themselves. To me this seems like a no brainer if you have the APM to manage them.

Why are they not used more?
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Re: Are Priest Actually Viable?

Post by Lukas_L99 »

Cause you should rarely have idle units
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Lukas_L99 wrote:Cause you should rarely have idle units

This, and also because you rarely have a falconet or anything like that escaping with >100 hp. Most times they either win or die.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

viewtopic.php?f=80&t=7218
check this thread, it's pretty similar
Sweden leaf4
Dragoon

Post by leaf4 »

AIzamk played russia vs a japan i think..sent advanced church then made like 15-20 priest with strelet+Musk army and just used priest as tank units (300-400 hp iirc )
then hed run priest heal themselves and go back in...he won
thebritish wrote: AA>going fortress
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

leaf4 wrote:AIzamk played russia vs a japan i think..sent advanced church then made like 15-20 priest with strelet+Musk army and just used priest as tank units (300-400 hp iirc )
then hed run priest heal themselves and go back in...he won

Are you saying they are viable because Aizamk won a game while making priests once?
Sweden leaf4
Dragoon

Post by leaf4 »

nope im just saying that was a funny game ^ ^
thebritish wrote: AA>going fortress
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

yeah priests are OP tanks, like legitimately if someone just attack-moves and isn't aware of it their high HP count, especially with Russia when you can send TEAM Cheap Priests in age 1, I'm not sure what would Advanced Church be for... :hmm:
United States of America Metis
Howdah

Post by Metis »

I was an army medic -- I always make medics. :)

In the real army, medics are invaluable for maintaining the general health of the soldiers and their morale. Your troops may never get injured but it's always at the back of their mind and it reduces their overall stress to know that there is someone nearby who is medically trained.

Medics do a lot more than just patching up wounds too. They are first and foremost soldiers, with the same basic combat training and duties as other soldiers. I've spend many a night manning a machine-gun on guard duty. Also, medics perform environmental and preventative medicine, like ensuring that the troops' living areas are free of disease vectors and chemical or radioligical contamination and that they have a safe water supply.

In garrison, if you are assigned to a Troop Medical Clinic, you do whatever needs done, from administering immunizations and giving physicals to treating routine illnesses and injuries. If you have a good medical officer who gives you the necessary training and "loose reigns," you will find yourself doing a lot of things that are not per se in the basic description of your MOS. In civilian hospitals, ex-army Doctors love former medics because they know that they can do so many things.

In AOE, I always make at least three priests. From the healing animation, they always seem to be doing something. I would think that in supremacy, where every unit counts, you could run injured units back to get healed and then return them to the fight.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Metis wrote:I was an army medic -- I always make medics. :)

In the real army, medics are invaluable for maintaining the general health of the soldiers and their morale. Your troops may never get injured but it's always at the back of their mind and it reduces their overall stress to know that there is someone nearby who is medically trained.

Medics do a lot more than just patching up wounds too. They are first and foremost soldiers, with the same basic combat training and duties as other soldiers. I've spend many a night manning a machine-gun on guard duty. Also, medics perform environmental and preventative medicine, like ensuring that the troops' living areas are free of disease vectors and chemical or radioligical contamination and that they have a safe water supply.

In garrison, if you are assigned to a Troop Medical Clinic, you do whatever needs done, from administering immunizations and giving physicals to treating routine illnesses and injuries. If you have a good medical officer who gives you the necessary training and "loose reigns," you will find yourself doing a lot of things that are not per se in the basic description of your MOS. In civilian hospitals, ex-army Doctors love former medics because they know that they can do so many things.

In AOE, I always make at least three priests. From the healing animation, they always seem to be doing something. I would think that in supremacy, where every unit counts, you could run injured units back to get healed and then return them to the fight.

Yea but are they viable
United States of America XxFearingxX
Crossbow
ESO: XxFearingxX

Post by XxFearingxX »

What about in fortress with Mamelukes, who are valuable for their hitpoints. When the mamelukes are low on hp, wouldn't a prist or two be cost-effective in that they make the mamelukes tanky and valuable again?
United States of America Eprus
Crossbow
ESO: Eprus

Post by Eprus »

XxFearingxX wrote:What about in fortress with Mamelukes, who are valuable for their hitpoints. When the mamelukes are low on hp, wouldn't a prist or two be cost-effective in that they make the mamelukes tanky and valuable again?

The problem is getting these units out of fight. Mostly they would be snared of have goons etc running at them. Plus the cost of a church in sup unless you're using a church strategy the wood cost plus the priest cost isnt worth it to save maybe a couple goons on half hp. However a 3 or 4 mams on low hp would probably be worth it. 200 coin per mamluke so even 2 on low hp wouldn't be worth it. RE speaking at least.
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

I don't understand why some people think to mamelukes when speaking about using priests. Healing low-hp high attack units like hackapells, cannons and skirms take far less time for greater benefit, doesn't it ?
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
Germany japanesegeneral
Lancer
ESO: JapaneseGeneral

Post by japanesegeneral »

Why are people even talking about mams at all priests have 400 Hp and 5 Handattack. Thats 1600 (which is the same amount of)HP and 20 Handattack (which is half of it) at the cost of one mameluke in age 2 if you send the card. However you can put them in covermode and use them to heal eachother. At the same time they are pretty hard to controll.
6 petards a day keep the doctor away.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

The problem is just that healing only works when units are truly standing still and that it then is terribly slow.
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

leaf4 wrote:nope im just saying that was a funny game ^ ^

Yes it was. I remember he commented he was fighting a holy war.
We might need Aiz in Isis related matters ones.
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98