Scouting Patterns?? (and other questions)

United States of America site
Lancer
Donator 01
ESO: site

Scouting Patterns?? (and other questions)

Post by site »

Having scoured this subforum up and down I haven't found anything regarding HOW to best scout the map. Any input on that?

Also, any other suggestions for a PR 20(maining German and French) trying to iron out any wrinkles and improve efficiency?

I use the TC to garrison and ungarrison vils to reduce walk time, I cancel animation to improve efficiency, I herd towards my TC to reduce walk time... Is there anything else like that I should be doing that will improve efficiency?

I've got my create vil hotkeyed to my mouse so I'm never without a vil training.

At this point I think I need to learn better about proper vil distribution, like how many I actually need on wood to keep houses going and avoid getting housed.
Great Britain InsectPoison
Lancer

Re: Scouting Patterns?? (and other questions)

Post by InsectPoison »

Right shift click anywhere on the map to set a course for explororer
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Show us a good recorded game when you play, and you'll get pointers on what to work on. Obviously you need to work on everything, but usually some things are lacking more than other things. Getting criticism on specifics is better than being told "learn builds, work on APM and micro" anyways.
Pay more attention to detail.
France Diarouga
Lancer
Donator 01
ESO: diarouga

Post by Diarouga »

I wrote a guide about it, it's in french though.
I might translate it if I'm not too lazy.
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by site »

InsectPoison wrote:Right shift click anywhere on the map to set a course for explororer

I know that, but I've been told there is an optimal way to set that course.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

Share it with us in the meantime. Perhaps Google Translate is sufficient, and translating is fun anyways.
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by site »

Gendarme wrote:Show us a good recorded game when you play, and you'll get pointers on what to work on. Obviously you need to work on everything, but usually some things are lacking more than other things. Getting criticism on specifics is better than being told "learn builds, work on APM and micro" anyways.

I'll get a rec tonight after work.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

site wrote:
InsectPoison wrote:Right shift click anywhere on the map to set a course for explororer

I know that, but I've been told there is an optimal way to set that course.

Depends on the map. You need to be aware of the spawns of the herdables and the treasures.

On Mongolia, for example, you'll send the Mongol Scout to the contested area (just run rowards the enemy base), because it's your fastest scout, and you send your explorer (and native scout) to the north of the map.

On Saguenay, more often than not (I think), both players will have two sheep near their north coast, so that's something you have to be aware of. If you see your enemy going to steal them, you'd better get there before him (and you can look to steal his).

On Kamchatka, the major treasures spawn in the middle of the map, so that's where you want to focus your attention.

Scouting pattern depends a lot on the map, and not many people have enough knowledge of the maps to know how to scout. In general, I think most of us search for a second hunt first, then go out treasure hunting.
United States of America Durokan
Retired Contributor
ESO: Durokan

Post by Durokan »

site wrote:I know that, but I've been told there is an optimal way to set that course.

The optimal course depends 100% on the map and match-up. In order to decide what the optimal course is, you have to know what you are looking for. Are we just scouting to have knowledge of the map? Are we looking for good treasures to get that faster age up? How about looking for forward villagers if your opponent is playing India? For instance, on Siberia many of the treasures collect around the river, so it makes sense to look for treasures over there. You most likely will want to scout that first if you wish to stay competitive with the treasures, as your opponent probably will know this. If you are looking for hunts, you may have an entirely different scouting pattern.

Edit: guy above me beat me to it
Check out my Custom Map Workshop here!
http://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php?p=98718#top
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

Durokan wrote:guy above me

Gendarme the Great*
United States of America Durokan
Retired Contributor
ESO: Durokan

Post by Durokan »

Gendarme wrote:
Durokan wrote:guy above me

Gendarme the Great*

i'm no longer an alligator, only a simple owl. All i can say is "hoo, hoo"
Check out my Custom Map Workshop here!
http://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php?p=98718#top
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

Try to abuse trading post LOS.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

You cannot be 100% certain all the time, I recall several spawns in which on the new Kamchatka there weren't any good treasures in the middle, rather to the left-hand side, and on Siberia IMO it's really random, it's just the sheer number of good treasures that makes you feel like you chose the right path, but I think in reality it's just that whenever you go, you'll get some nice treasures.
United States of America CurassierAndCurassier
Retired Contributor
ESO: Montcalm17

Post by CurassierAndCurassier »

Part of scouting is knowing your map. So my advice varies based on maps.

I main France as well, and generally the way I scout is I send the native scout on a route up the middle of the map and then to the left edge. He tends to find small treasures, the opponent TC, and big treasures in that order.

My explorer does a ring around my base, then up the middle. He finds hunts, then small treasures. After collecting small treasures my scout should have found enough of the map for me to decide where to go next. Do I go for a TP? Are there useful treasures I can easily kite? Has my opponent missed an easy treasure near his base?
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

Diarouga wrote:I wrote a guide about it, it's in french though.
I might translate it if I'm not too lazy.

Actually it is good to have some opportunity to learn a bit of different languages on known topics. No-one here is so desperate, that they couldn't afford to try to understand it for themselves. :grin:
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

Build wall pillars all over the map, else enable mh and let ur opponent scout for you :P
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »