Questions about what's acceptable

United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Questions about what's acceptable

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Hey everyone! Just a couple of questions regarding "gentleman's rules" or whatever you want to call it.

1.) Boxes - cuir/gendarme spams in boxes/ sioux boxes/ other boxes - are these okay or no? I don't really like them whether I'm facing them or have a teammate win the game with them. It just feels wrong...I don't know.

I only play team games and just cringe when I see a French home city from someone I don't know. I just played a game where they told me to rush hard (I was Russia) to let French boom. The rush failed (obv 3v1!), my eco was trashed, I tried to get on sea, but the french player told me no when I tried to build a dock because he was on sea :roll: My own town got hit with a raid so I was in a bad spot. We ended up winning the game though all because of the French box. I was also told to spam opris and hit their eco, which I did, but I didn't receive any satisfaction from it.

2.) Playing on Orinoco - is it wrong to sneak a vil/explorer and build on their side prior to walls being put up? I've had it done to me and it sucks so I'm always prepared for it. I thought I would give it a try , but it made me feel super dirty.

Am I overthinking all this?
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Re: Questions about what's acceptable

Post by pecelot »

Both are pretty lame, the former apparently is that not tough to counter, although the latter is definitely against so-called gentlemen rules.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

What the hell are boxes?
Pay more attention to detail.
South Africa mGravitus
Musketeer

Post by mGravitus »

Gendarme wrote:What the hell are boxes?

I thought boxes was where you grouped a ranged cav archer with a bunch of melee? So they are all clumped together.
Really cheezy for orpich raids.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

I thought it only worked with ruyters.
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

Both are extremely lame. I usually leave.
Some people tried it with me and still lost heavily.

Boxes are ok if you do it on Orinoco when you are fighting, but not river laming. If you group up the Zapotec / Maya into a box they can be pretty efficient in taking out cannon.

IMO french are a joke if you are playing NR55 on Orinoco. Fur Trade is too powerful. Not that they can't be beaten of course, but they do have a bit of an advantage.
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
Great Britain britishmusketeer
Howdah

Post by britishmusketeer »

XeeleeFlower wrote:Hey everyone! Just a couple of questions regarding "gentleman's rules" or whatever you want to call it.

1.) Boxes - cuir/gendarme spams in boxes/ sioux boxes/ other boxes - are these okay or no? I don't really like them whether I'm facing them or have a teammate win the game with them. It just feels wrong...I don't know.

I only play team games and just cringe when I see a French home city from someone I don't know. I just played a game where they told me to rush hard (I was Russia) to let French boom. The rush failed (obv 3v1!), my eco was trashed, I tried to get on sea, but the french player told me no when I tried to build a dock because he was on sea :roll: My own town got hit with a raid so I was in a bad spot. We ended up winning the game though all because of the French box. I was also told to spam opris and hit their eco, which I did, but I didn't receive any satisfaction from it.

2.) Playing on Orinoco - is it wrong to sneak a vil/explorer and build on their side prior to walls being put up? I've had it done to me and it sucks so I'm always prepared for it. I thought I would give it a try , but it made me feel super dirty.

If you are talking about treaty:
1) boxes are considered acceptable however most games not on the treaty patch ban french.
2) Most treaty games have a 'half map' (and no warship) rules which mean that you can't have vills on their side of the map before the treaty ends.
In low level treaty games these rules aren't in place howver so stuff like having 50 jags in stealth on your facs at the end of treaty is quite common. Not really much you can do about this unfortunately :/

If you are talking about standard supremacy:
1) Again the same as before but ideally you will want to win the game against french before it gets to lategame. Usually if someone makes a box of mass cav you can counter it with mass goons of yourself which will be super cost efficient for you provided you have good scouting/walling. Against Russia i would make sure you always have goons or equivalent out in order to be able to deal with opris.
2)Orinoco is not really a competitive map in supremacy however if you were playing it i guess it would play out like indochina so sneaking a vill to the other side is a good idea(not considered dirty).
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Just to clarify, these are standard supremacy games. Thanks for the replies thus far. :) I've never done a box, but have been called a noob for not doing so.
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
Canada _NiceKING_
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: _NiceKING_
GameRanger ID: 9999999
Clan: Xbox

Post by _NiceKING_ »

JakeyBoyTH wrote:IMO french are a joke if you are playing NR55 on Orinoco. Fur Trade is too powerful. Not that they can't be beaten of course, but they do have a bit of an advantage.

France has advantages everywhere lol
Best skirms, strong eco, 120 military pop, best natives, best cav, best artillery.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

You forgot best language.

_NiceKING_ wrote:best cav
Thanks for the shoutout, though.
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

_NiceKING_ wrote:
JakeyBoyTH wrote:IMO french are a joke if you are playing NR55 on Orinoco. Fur Trade is too powerful. Not that they can't be beaten of course, but they do have a bit of an advantage.

Best skirms, strong eco, 120 military pop, best natives, best cav, best artillery.

Thats what I mean. Although I think Spain has better nats. They are just OP asf.
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

XeeleeFlower wrote:Hey everyone! Just a couple of questions regarding "gentleman's rules" or whatever you want to call it.

In Supremacy, yes. In treaty, no. Treaty players can be very... disturbed.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

_NiceKING_ wrote:

Indeed; 'tis very unrealistic.
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

XeeleeFlower wrote:2.) Playing on Orinoco - is it wrong to sneak a vil/explorer and build on their side prior to walls being put up? I've had it done to me and it sucks so I'm always prepared for it. I thought I would give it a try , but it made me feel super dirty.

55min of your life just thrown into the trashcan xD

Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

zoom wrote:In Supremacy, yes. In treaty, no. Treaty players can be very... disturbed.

Treaty is technically supremacy :!: :hmm:

Gendarme wrote:I thought it only worked with ruyters.

It works with every type of light cavalry :ugeek:
Canada _NiceKING_
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: _NiceKING_
GameRanger ID: 9999999
Clan: Xbox

Post by _NiceKING_ »

it also works with some heavy cavalry like Sioux WC :ugeek: