Spain Team Cav

Canada forgrin
Howdah
ESO: Forgrin

Spain Team Cav

Post by forgrin »

Ever wanted to lose ELO? Ever wanted people to think you're a masochist? Ever wanted to play Spain in team?

If you answer "yes" to the latter, you obviously have issues with the former two, and you should play Spain in team.
Here's a team cav BO for Spain.

Deck

Notes on the deck: You could definitely remove some things like unction for mill + plant cards. That's probably better for 3v3. Unction is kinda fun to mess around with on EP at least though so I keep it in my deck. I also hear that AA is good, I'm just too lazy to ever build the arsenal so I don't have it in my deck.
EDIT lol I just realised 600c isn't in this deck. Replace unction :P

When to use this BO
I don't play much team. Use your judgement. I have 8 pike in the deck just in case, but Spain doesn't deal well with super aggressive team rushes in my experience, so maybe don't pick this vs Russia + Azzy.

Card Order
-3v
-ATP (If a map with good trading posts, otherwise save shipment)
-700w
-5v
-4v
-700g
-Cav HP
-Cav Atk
-Use your noggin for the next bit.

Build Order
Standard Spain opening. Go market/tp/whatever depending on start. Food treasures are your friend here because you gonna age up kinda slow.
Ship 3v.

Age with 500f.

Ship ATP if you think it's a good idea.

Get missing market or TP(s) from before that you skipped. If you scout aggression then skip market things for now and save 200w to build military building on ageup. If you went ATP then skip the market until 700w and save 200w for stagecoach/trade cart.

Queue up vills to 19/20 when you age up, ship 700w + 5v (you'll have at least 2 shipments). Alternatively, you can build a house instead of ST and delay ST until 700w if you don't like being pop capped. Distribute vills equal to food + gold for now.

Build stable + houses off of 700w. Queue huss, do team game things like raiding and whatnot. Once you've finished the first batch of huss it's probably time to redistribute your vills to more on food.
Ship 4v. Make more ponies.

Ship 700g. Make more ponies, or ageup if you're not under pressure for better ponies (not recommended, this strat is better playing age 2 aggression).

Ship Cav cards so your ponies become OP. If you're facing a lot of raiding pressure yourself, you can delay one of these for 600w to add a rax for rods to ward off raids.
At this point I usually put a few more vills on wood to chop for a second stable if I haven't shipped 600w.

Follow it up with whatever you think is good. 700f and 600c help you get another big mass spike after you've shipped combat cards because you should be roughly 2 shipments ahead of your opponents at this point. 600w allows you to add more infrastructure.

Notes on Fortress play
If you've done your job well with this build, your opponents likely won't have been able to match your huss mass and will have musk/pike/goon units about to compensate. This makes a skirmisher tech switch pretty strong in my experience.
Lancers are still quite situational, but it might be worth mixing in some considering you'll have 3-4 cards on them.
Shipping 1k wood to add another TC is really essential for Spain's boom and should be done ASAP upon aging if possible.
https://www.twitch.tv/forgin14

"WTF WHERE ARE MY 10 FALCS" - AraGun_OP
Tonga sdsanft
Howdah
ESO: sdsanft

Re: Spain Team Cav

Post by sdsanft »

Advanced arsenal only adds one tech for cav (increased siege) if I recall correctly. It's better for inf civs like Brit. Would riding school be a good replacement for 8 pikes though?

Site: Be there or be square
Jakey: I'm square because I'm not around
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Just a suggestion, I think you should have at least 1 anticav shipment in age 3 in case you decide to ff

Also I would put in AA for rod speeeeed. What units do you make lategame anyway?
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Canada forgrin
Howdah

Post by forgrin »

sdsanft wrote:Advanced arsenal only adds one tech for cav (increased siege) if I recall correctly. It's better for inf civs like Brit. Would riding school be a good replacement for 8 pikes though?

Also moves arsenal to colonial too.
Riding school is meh, it's only worth 200w for most the game realistically because it doesn't help you mass faster than another stable would (IMO). If you wanted to play lategame though it might be worth.

Canada forgrin
Howdah

Post by forgrin »

ovi12 wrote:Just a suggestion, I think you should have at least 1 anticav shipment in age 3 in case you decide to ff

Also I would put in AA for rod speeeeed. What units do you make lategame anyway?

I shall do so (will put rods bcus they OP). AA definitely seems like a good card at this point, but then again I haven't had the chance to test unction on EP team yet.

I've made mostly huss + a few rods most of the games I've done this in. One game I had to switch to skirm because the enemy had gone pure musk+goon as I was being quite annoying :P

Tonga sdsanft
Howdah
ESO: sdsanft

Post by sdsanft »

forgrin wrote:
ovi12 wrote:Just a suggestion, I think you should have at least 1 anticav shipment in age 3 in case you decide to ff

I shall do so (will put rods bcus they OP). AA definitely seems like a good card at this point, but then again I haven't had the chance to test unction on EP team yet.

I've made mostly huss + a few rods most of the games I've done this in. One game I had to switch to skirm because the enemy had gone pure musk+goon as I was being quite annoying :P

Id say if you're feeling safe just going pure cav (like in 3v3) then riding school is better but if switching to inf is more likely (like in 2v2) then AA is probs better. For 3v3 mill/plantation up is also a good choice. Anyways, this looks fun, I'm looking forward to trying this out. I never realized that Spain has so many cav cards, it's actually pretty good.

Site: Be there or be square
Jakey: I'm square because I'm not around
Germany japanesegeneral
Lancer
ESO: JapaneseGeneral

Post by japanesegeneral »

But you have to take into concideration that all of those are handcav upgrades. In general this bo is basically playing spain as if they were a slightly weaker version of france. I would not recommend this at all since it leaves you pretty vulnerable against spains biggest weakness in age 2 which are musketiers. Spain does not have a anti inf or musk shipment itself. When do you get your first batch of hussars?
6 petards a day keep the doctor away.
Serbia sirmusket
Jaeger
ESO: ModernDayWarri0r

Post by sirmusket »

i wouldn't ATP in team game tho..
Canada forgrin
Howdah

Post by forgrin »

sirmusket wrote:i wouldn't ATP in team game tho..

I only tried it a few times but it seems decent on maps like himalayas. It buys alot of time.

Canada forgrin
Howdah

Post by forgrin »

japanesegeneral wrote:But you have to take into concideration that all of those are handcav upgrades. In general this bo is basically playing spain as if they were a slightly weaker version of france. I would not recommend this at all since it leaves you pretty vulnerable against spains biggest weakness in age 2 which are musketiers. Spain does not have a anti inf or musk shipment itself. When do you get your first batch of hussars?

Spain is just complete shit in team anyways so not sure how this BO is worse than anything else they'd do.

Germany japanesegeneral
Lancer

Well there are a few options:
1) Cav pike rush
2) single barracks musk start (into double barracks)
3) Lancer ff
4) Revolt (Kappa)

But it is a fairly limited choise of strategies and either of them can be fairly bad in the wrong situation.
Germany japanesegeneral
Lancer

Is not your strategy baiscally the idea of a double stable spain? If you play it like that with 700g 600g it might add something new to spain.
Canada forgrin
Howdah

Post by forgrin »

japanesegeneral wrote:Is not your strategy baiscally the idea of a double stable spain? If you play it like that with 700g 600g it might add something new to spain.

Well, you could do that. You'd have to ship 600w earlier which might mean you sacrifice early mass though. As I stated I'm not really much of a team player so by all means make variations :P

Great Britain britishmusketeer
Howdah

Post by britishmusketeer »

unction is great imo
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Spain revolt might be the best way to play spain in team games though.
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

Unction is 100% needed.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

unction is one of the few reasons the make spain a civ in team
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

forgrin wrote:

I would leave unction in too, prob take put cav attack and just age earlier but idk.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

forgrin wrote:I don't play much team.

*writes a guide*
:hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Also, isn't 600 coin just superior to 700 food?