BWKiC Revisited - British FF

United States of America Durokan
Retired Contributor
ESO: Durokan

Post by Durokan »

This is an updated version for the current RE patch of Beatnik Joe's BWKiC strategy. I updated the timings and build order for the current patch but the writing is mostly still Beatnik Joe's.

Source of old material:

https://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/for ... 9781,0,365

^this isn't clickable for some reason, just copy paste it into the search bar if interested (including the not underlined stuff)

BWKiC - The "Black Watch Kick in the Crotch"
This is an article describing a British Fast Fortress strategy. It plays similarly to a Piroshiki FF. It includes a build order and a recorded game against the AI.

Summary
clik up at 2:45 with outpost guy
click up at 5:20 with 400w + caravel guy
8 Black Watch + 2 Falconets at 7:58

Main Article:
Having trouble with the British? Eaten alive by that Spanish fast fortress? Wondering what keeps you coming back time and time again to such an underpowered civ as the Brits? Maybe it's time for a little help from the Black Watch!

I've tried colonial warfare, I've tried to boom... but both approaches seem doomed in the current FF and shipment-dominated gameplay. Playing with Brits was destroying my record and there seemed to be no way to make the wood-heavy, sluggish Brits get off the ground. What was wrong with them? What was wrong with me?

But giving up is for people who actually care about their record. Not I! To paraphrase Mokon, you get a lot further if you blame yourself than if you blame the civ.

So I sat down and I studied the Brits, wondering what could make their Fast Fortress competitive. I noticed that they had the following things going for them:

The 2 falconet card, an excellent card indeed.
The opportunity to create 8 Black Watch highlanders from the church VERY quickly. Highlanders are great anti-cav units and all-around bruisers.
The Black Watch will always be delivered, even when you don't have enough houses. (This is critical!)
The Black Watch are delivered in seconds, unlike conventional merc shipments, which take 1 full minute.
The Thin Red Line is also available from the church.
Excellent economic recovery due to the manor boom.
It is this combination of highlanders and falconets that is the basis of BWKiC. With good luck and a good map, you can get this lethal combination out anywhere from 7:20 (on Carolina), but typically around 7:45-8:15 in the heat of battle.

To pull this off, you MUST get a trading post ASAP, and you must perform a solid fast fortress. The advanced church must be shipped during the age to fortress, and the falconet card must be shipped as soon as you hit fortress. Even though you will not have sufficient housing, you can still research the Black Watch, and miracle of miracles, they still show up (presumably to sleep in boxes under an overpass.)

That's it -- the rest is all based off of that. There are 2 styles of BWKiC -- the aggressive style and the defensive style. In the aggressive style, we will sneak a forward tower to the enemy base and attempt to bring this highlander + falconet combo right to the enemy's door as close to pre-8:00 as possible.

First some warnings: This is a fun build that could possibly be a nice cheese strategy in a competitive environment. British normally does an 8/9 minute timing push anyways, albeit a colonial one. Never attempt this strategy on a map without a trading post.

The Deck:

Note: This is a modified build order, the original was a TWC build and the timings and exact order were not accurate on the RE/EP patch. For instance churches costed 250w, tps costed 250w, there was a different crate orientation etc.

3 vills to hunts and 3 to food crates. Note that if animals are close enough, you do not need to herd on your first shot. Queue villagers!
Collect wood crates once food crates exhausted. Once done, set all three crate collectors to wood. A villager will just have finished training, causing you to now have 4 hunters total and 3 woodcutters total.
Build a trading post with your explorer before building a manor house.
Set your TC gather point to food.
As soon as 135 is acquired, build a manor and switch all villagers to food. If the house is built with two villagers, it will not cause any idle time and the 3 villagers shipment can be sent on time.
First Card: 3 Villagers
Stop producing villagers at 15 (including the ones from your card.) Eat, eat, eat. Strongly consider eating some livestock (i.e. sheep and cattle) if you feel it will speed you up here.
Age up as soon as you have 800 food age with The Governor for 1 tower + 200 gold. (2:45)
Make sure you have 100 gold before reaching colonial. If you do not, task 3 villagers to gold by your town center.
Task 3 vills to wood by your town center, transfer two of the gold miners to wood as soon as you have 100, and put one back on food. This will keep 5 villagers under your town center for quick crate gathering
Do not queue villagers once in colonial. As soon as you hit colonial, send your 2nd card: 700 gold. Gather this gold, along with the 200 gold from aging up with all villagers near the tc (5).
Place a forward tower with the wagon. Age to fortress using The Admiral of the Ocean Sea. He gives 400 wood and a caravel. I send this even on a land map. (5:20)
During the transition to fortress, 11 vills on food, 5 on wood. The first 135 wood is used on a manor house, next 100 is used on a church.
As soon as you are able, play your 3rd card: The Glorious Revolution (advanced church card.)
You have now hit fortress age. You should have another shipment ready (thanks to your trading post.) Ship your 4th card: 2 Falconets.
Call the Black Watch from your church. Do NOT do this before you have shipped falconets. You will be over pop limit, but you can still call the Black Watch (it's magic!) Set the shipment arrival point to your tower. Also, try to get your caravel either fishing, whaling, or perhaps even harassing for an economy boost.
Attack with 8 highlanders + 2 falconets (8:00)
When attacking, you must use the highlanders to protect your falconets! They are great anti-cavalry.

From here many things can be done.

For a later push, (9:30ish) wait for 9 Highlanders/10 Jaegers in addition to the 8 Highlanders + 2 falconets.

For a more eco intensive build, start house booming while shipping either 8 villagers/1000 wood or more military. Tune your shipments to your enemy -- 5 huss, 9 muskets, 9 highlanders, 10 jaegers, etc.
From there, it's up to you! You should have a jumping economy at this point.
Optional: Research The Thin Red Line (no cost, at the church for extra hitpoints at the cost of speed.) This is useful when under the enemy's TC or in a decisive fight. If a fight will be lost if you don't research this technology, there is no point in not doing it. You could either win the fight and have slower units, or you could lose the fight and the game.

Feedback is appreciated, and once again this guide is not my brainchild. All I did was modify it to fit the current patch.

Edit: In my recording I refused to pick up any treasures, including the 30g muskrat treasures near my base in order to show a baseline for the strategy. The timing push will only get faster with treasures.
Attachments
[RE SP] Durokan[BR] vs Ivan the Terrible[RU] - Great Plains.age3yrec
(951.08 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
Great Plains
Great Plains
Rules: Supremacy (1v1)
Version: Official Patch (Legacy)
Length: 9 minutes
Check out my Custom Map Workshop here!
http://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php?p=98718#top
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Best strat I've ever seen!!! I'll start to play brit and win the tournament thanks to your op strat!
Thx.
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

I acctually did it once ago with the j?gers and the blackwatch +falcs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjp55mtszbU
May be cause of H2O but this is an example
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Your third shipment is not bold, want me or somebody to fix that for you? :P

Anyways, it looks awesome, especially for not-top level, where you can suprise your enemies easier with this type of stuff
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player
ESOC WarChiefs Classic 2017

Post by Aizamk »

I used to do 10 musk semi into blackwatch+falc on nilla quite often vs spain.
oranges.
Retired Contributor

Post by Durokan »

added a deck picture
Retired Contributor

Post by Durokan »

deleted_user wrote:Neat strat, but it''s always better to just stay colonial vs spain.

Its not just against spain :/

This was a vanilla/twc guide until i updated it so spain wasnt as bad
No Flag janphilippr
Crossbow

Post by janphilippr »

How do you deal with a 200 wood start?
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

janphilippr wrote:How do you deal with a 200 wood start?

chop 135 wood for a house
No Flag janphilippr
Crossbow

Post by janphilippr »

that delays everything though also if you start with 1 food crate less the situation is even more delicate because you won't be gathering food while chopping wood for the house
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

janphilippr wrote:that delays everything though

No the build calls for you to chop 135 wood. If you get a 300 wood start or treasures that speeds things up
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

British are so very underpowered, after all...
Retired Contributor

Post by Durokan »

zoom wrote:British are so very underpowered, after all...

british are only reliably solid on garja maps.
United States of America cedarfarms
Dragoon
ESO: Cedar_farms_

Post by cedarfarms »

I always thought this strat was pretty solid mainly because highlanders are just such a strong unit and with the tech at the church, they get like 20 percent more hp so they become even more beefy. The british not having a fast age up to fortress makes it a lil bit slower but at the same time during the long transition you have plenty of time to gather your 1000 food for black watch, but even so after you have 1000 food you can begin mining for 1000 coin so you can ship another mass of these op highlanders, and then from here once you enemy masses skirms or bows, you follow up next with a shipment of 5 hussar, i think you can be in a pretty good spot.
With the church tech for stronger but slower infantry, highlanders will have 480 hp i believe, with 63 ranged attack. Thats a tough unit to handle with cannons behind it at or around 8 minutes, and yes of course they can be microed very easily because their speed will only be 3.4 but then you can back them up and let the cannons work.

Edit- I just read the strat through now and my bo is slightly different than this, two things i do not like are not making villagers at all during age 2, making 2-3 villagers should only slow you down seconds in the long run and will def be worth it for your eco, and i also think if you get a tp up early enough which with brits you can always do asap, you might be able to get to your 5th shipment in time for falcs as you hit age 3, so shipping 700 wood could be possible.
[span] [/span]
No Flag aoefan4life
Lancer

Post by aoefan4life »

This is a good NR 10 strat for sure.
No Flag janphilippr
Crossbow

Post by janphilippr »

Then again NR 10 is stoopid Kappa
Switzerland _venox_
Howdah
ESO: _Venox_

Post by _venox_ »

This is quite a bad nr 10 strat.
Don't let the things you can't change dictate your life.
Great Britain britishmusketeer
Howdah

Post by britishmusketeer »

I tried this and have had success especially against Russia. I think its stronger if you age with 7 longbows and also chop for a manor in transition to fortress.
Switzerland _venox_
Howdah

Post by _venox_ »

So this would be about the same as a normal Spanish ff, just with the British?
Retired Contributor

Post by Durokan »

venox wrote:So this would be about the same as a normal Spanish ff, just with the British?

yeah but highlanders are awesome
Switzerland _venox_
Howdah

Post by _venox_ »

If you send 600 coin or 5 villagers after the usual 3 villagers 700 coin and 700 wood shipments you can get enough for highlanders even as Spain.
Retired Contributor

Post by Durokan »

venox wrote:If you send 600 coin or 5 villagers after the usual 3 villagers 700 coin and 700 wood shipments you can get enough for highlanders even as Spain.

shipping highlanders slows you down by an entire minute. You would have to ship mercs + cannons in fortress unless i am mistaken, whereas you train the highlanders as britain. You also have no recovery attempt after the all in (1k wood/8 vill)
No Flag spadel
Skirmisher

Post by spadel »

As Aizamk said, use the Highlanders in a semi ff. Naked ff with british is like the worst you can do.
India _DB_
Howdah

Post by _DB_ »

For spain, the 600g is awesome for kakusama ff even under pressure.
700g,700w,600g,highlanders. Without 600g, you can still make it but you can't get highlanders under pressure. 600g also helps to make more skirms after aging.
Doing what you like is Freedom...
Liking what you do is Happiness...