When should you start herding outer hunts?

No Flag bugattivitesse
Skirmisher

When should you start herding outer hunts?

Post by bugattivitesse »

Since Russia starts with only 5 vils. does sending out 2-3 vils at 1;30 ish to bring in the surrounding hunts slow down age up, with all the walking time lost that could be spent gathering? I have been doing this and usually click up around 3:03. Could it be even faster if you just wait to herd?
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Re: When should you start herding outer hunts?

Post by fei123456 »

if you wanna age up 14p, dont herd before clicking age up.
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

In the few games ive been playing as russia lately, i have noticed that you want to avoid herding much in age 1. It can definitely slow down your age up.
Canada forgrin
Howdah
ESO: Forgrin

Post by forgrin »

I always thought you should never herd in age 1 if at all avoidable (unless it's map with very close hunt and shit starting ones, like some Garja goat maps). You can quite easily get 5-7 shots off during the ageup so as long as you are careful to herd every 12ish seconds you'll be fine hunt-wise.
https://www.twitch.tv/forgin14

"WTF WHERE ARE MY 10 FALCS" - AraGun_OP
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

I never herd my 2nd hunt in age 1 on good hunts maps, it's a waste of time. You can do it while aging up and be completely fine. You only need to do this on shit qs maps, and even there I wouldn't do it as russia, because you really need to age as fast as you can.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

forgrin wrote:I always thought you should never herd in age 1 if at all avoidable (unless it's map with very close hunt and shit starting ones, like some Garja goat maps). You can quite easily get 5-7 shots off during the ageup so as long as you are careful to herd every 12ish seconds you'll be fine hunt-wise.

Depends. On good crate starts dutch ages up really comfortanly so youre better off herding in age 1 just in case the hunt starts randomly moving away from your tc.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

I agree with my preceding speakers, I almost never herd my 2nd hunt in age 1, unless I play vs a very aggressive civ or there is a possibility for the animals to run away. Otherwise it's a waste of time.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Asap cause enemy could shoot it away.
Realistically tho none does that nowadays so just go for max efficiency again and herd in transition to colo.
Image Image Image
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

i usually herd 1-3 hunts in discovery, depending on the civ i play. You usually start with one small herd which isnt enough on most maps to age with 800f, or it barely will be. So you need to herd atleast one. If it's an agressive civ with which I would take map control, usually i wouldnt herd any more hunts. If it's a more defensive civ, i would usually herd as much as I can. Sure you lose a few seconds on your age up, but atleast I will not be starved of food.
Great Britain Jeedos
Musketeer
ESO: GodofSquishy

Post by Jeedos »

Subjective based on the map and also which kind of civilization you're going to be playing and who you're fighting against. e.g. vs. Dutch it may not be as mandatory to herd earlier vs say Iroquois or Germans.

That said, I generally start herding my second hunt toward the end of Age 1. Second hunt during age up or after pushing outward in Colonial.

Edit: I mostly play Dutch and am petrified of being raided anyway, as well as early aggression. Hence my tendency to herd earlier. But generally during transition is fine as a rule for most civs.
'I meme so' - British Longbowman.

Favourite civs; Dutch/Spanish.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

The general rule I follow is if you can do it without having idle time, then the sooner the better.

If your civ has a hard time aging without idle time, or can sometimes age a vill early with a bit of extra food (think Russia, Port, Brit, for example), then consider waiting until transition.

Of course the matchups play into it as well. Against civs like Russia, Aztec, or Iro, who tend to play aggressively very early, you probably want to herd earlier rather than later, even if it means you age a few seconds late.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

I think it also depends on the map. For example on texas I always herd in age 1 regardless of the civ, cause if you dont your bison can walk pretty far away and you can find yourself with absolutely nothing in the line of site of your tc since you only start with 4 deers
Canada Lunatic_Fringe
Dragoon
ESO: Nightwing

Post by Lunatic_Fringe »

pecelot wrote:I agree with my preceding speakers, I almost never herd my 2nd hunt in age 1, unless I play vs a very aggressive civ or there is a possibility for the animals to run away. Otherwise it's a waste of time.

I agree. Especially using Ports. The next TC will secure one other hunt for sure.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

umeu wrote:You usually start with one small herd which isnt enough on most maps to age with 800f, or it barely will be.

I would claim quite the opposite... :hmm:
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

I don't see why you should start herding early anyway, I'd rather focus more on herding during transition. If you shoot your herds frequently enough, you will be able to herd them as far as you can in those 1:30 anyway (trying to herd too far will make them backherd anyway).
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

Because sometimes herds walk away from you
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Exactly. Itll save ypu food to herd early, and for some civs it doesnt hurt your age up time.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

I honestly can't think of a civ with which it doesn't affect your age up time
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

tedere12 wrote:Because sometimes herds walk away from you

And sometimes they walk more towards your base. It's random, so in the end it's not a good reason
Tonga sdsanft
Howdah
ESO: sdsanft

Post by sdsanft »

Kaiserklein wrote:I honestly can't think of a civ with which it doesn't affect your age up time

As France on RE I always herd atleast one herd with no idle time. I usually use my market/house vill bill so I build that building in the direction of the vill is gonna walk.

Site: Be there or be square
Jakey: I'm square because I'm not around
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

What does "no idle time" mean ? On some crates starts, you have idle time even if you macro perfectly, without good treasures. And if you want to try 13v on some other starts, which is superior to 14v when you don't idle tc, you need to put all chances on your side.
Germany Blinky Bill
Crossbow

Post by Blinky Bill »

sdsanft wrote:
Kaiserklein wrote:I honestly can't think of a civ with which it doesn't affect your age up time

As France on RE I always herd atleast one herd with no idle time. I usually use my market/house vill bill so I build that building in the direction of the vill is gonna walk.

same here. i play mostly nilla but sometimes re on tad and u can heard easy in age 1 without idle time (14 vill age up as france).