Swiss Pikes

Tonga sdsanft
Howdah
ESO: sdsanft

Re: Swiss Pikes

Post by sdsanft »

evilcheadar wrote:I tried ship swiss pike as france vs gibson ottomon vault, and it failed horribly

Well ofc, I'd say never send this vs a musk heavy civ. I think it works best vs Germany, China and maybe azzy add if you can get away with it.

Site: Be there or be square
Jakey: I'm square because I'm not around
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

evilcheadar wrote:I tried ship swiss pike as france vs gibson ottomon vault, and it failed horribly

maybe you failed horribly :!:
could you explain/link so that we may judge ourselves? :flowers:
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

pecelot wrote:

maybe you failed horribly :!:
could you explain/link so that we may judge ourselves? :flowers:

Well I basically stated I failed horribly, so there's no uncertainty there.
I knew he would ship hussars and what not from his deck. He god the hussar out and nearly ran them full tilt into the pike but pulled back at last moment and just used colonial militia.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

You can always put them in cover mode, though!
Also, pure Swiss Pikes is usually not the best composition because of the aforementioned :!:
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

pecelot wrote:You can always put them in cover mode, though!
Also, pure Swiss Pikes is usually not the best composition because of the aforementioned :!:

The only unit you should put in cover mode is urumi
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
Tonga sdsanft
Howdah

Post by sdsanft »

JakeyBoyTH wrote:

Nope, in a ranged battle any type of pike should be in cover mode, especially if sieging.

New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

sdsanft wrote:
JakeyBoyTH wrote:

Nope, in a ranged battle any type of pike should be in cover mode, especially if sieging.

I was joking sorry, but I know that it should be in cover mode unless in melee? It loses its bonuses in cover mode I think.
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

JakeyBoyTH wrote:
sdsanft wrote:
Show hidden quotes

I was joking sorry, but I know that it should be in cover mode unless in melee? It loses its bonuses in cover mode I think.

It loses half its attack, but keeps its multipliers iirc. Either way, the soaking ability is what counts.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

lemmings121 wrote:Used them today as spain vs german, they got rekt by landsknecht with merc combat.
Rip.

Who uses landsknechts? :o
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

Imperial Noob wrote:
lemmings121 wrote:Used them today as spain vs german, they got rekt by landsknecht with merc combat.
Rip.

Who uses landsknechts? :o

apperently they are pretty good as long as heavy inf goes :lol:
Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Post by Dsy »

All of the mercs are basicly bad. Its not because they arent cost effective, but you lose ur army/mapcontrol if try to save the coin they need.
India gh0st
Lancer
ESO: gh0st007

Post by gh0st »

Dsy wrote:All of the mercs are basicly bad. Its not because they arent cost effective, but you lose ur army/mapcontrol if try to save the coin they need.

@Kaiserklein
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

I remember when every strategy involved mercs.
Top quality poster.
Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Post by Dsy »

Intresting note about landsknecht: You can send 4 landsknechts in age2 for 400c as german. People dont send them, though it should be an insane card in theory according to the fact you can send 10 landsknechts for 1000c in fortress.
Singapore milku3459
Howdah
ESO: milku3459

Post by milku3459 »

Dsy wrote:Intresting note about landsknecht: You can send 4 landsknechts in age2 for 400c as german. People dont send them, though it should be an insane card in theory according to the fact you can send 10 landsknechts for 1000c in fortress.

I sent them once in a xbow-pike rush german mirror and won. After a while I only had to have 10 pikes or so because the lands mopped up all the uhlan no prb
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Risintiger ship lansknechts on a regular basis. It's not an insane card though, because it's worth 960g, and you pay 400g for it, which means you basically ship 560g, instead of, say, 700g+2uhlans, which is 1000 res. And one could say it's compensated by lansknechts being an age 3 unit, but they're so bad it doesn't matter (one of the worst mercs, too slow for a melee unit). Also in the card description they say you get faster lansknechts instead of the free uhlans, but I've never noticed anything like this lol. Maybe they mean they get shipped faster, I'm not sure, but it will not compensate the loss of 2 free uhlans. If it was a 5 lansknechts shipment, it could work in some match ups I guess.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Tonga sdsanft
Howdah

Post by sdsanft »

3dops 2uhlans is just a better card imo.

Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Post by Dsy »

In english description it writes you get extra mercs instead of uhlans...:D
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Dsy wrote:In english description it writes you get extra mercs instead of uhlans...:D

This works for other mercs, but not for lansknechts

gh0st wrote:
Dsy wrote:All of the mercs are basicly bad. Its not because they arent cost effective, but you lose ur army/mapcontrol if try to save the coin they need.

@Kaiserklein

Lol, well it's true that going full mercs from the saloon is mostly bad because you deplete your gold way too fast and for some other reasons, but mixing mercs in your army, or most often, shipping mercs, is not bad at all in some cases. The 9 BR and sometimes 13 jaegers for germany, 5 cuirs for iro, and ofc mams, are good
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

also manchu/iron troops for china, manchu for rushia and in some cases swiss pikes for spain or dutch really round out gaps in their compositions.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Spain mercs are exactly of the same type of their other unit shipments so they don't really help much. Given the frequency of Spain shipment is debatable if they help at all since you probably get a bigger power spike in the same time frame with shipment+unit production.
Swiss pike in particular is generally a very bad merc unit. It's a pike afterall. I'd say its only perk is to combine high siege and anticav role so it can do stand alone operations like proxy sieging. Basically like petards but not counterable by cav.
Image Image Image
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

What about Highlanders, though? :hmm:
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Most useful Spain merc probably and yet you can easily make musks in transition with the standard FF.
Image Image Image
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Sigh garja, you never understood spain outside the mirror =_= darwin knew this too
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

Kaiserklein wrote:Risintiger ship lansknechts on a regular basis. It's not an insane card though, because it's worth 960g, and you pay 400g for it, which means you basically ship 560g, instead of, say, 700g+2uhlans, which is 1000 res. And one could say it's compensated by lansknechts being an age 3 unit, but they're so bad it doesn't matter (one of the worst mercs, too slow for a melee unit). Also in the card description they say you get faster lansknechts instead of the free uhlans, but I've never noticed anything like this lol. Maybe they mean they get shipped faster, I'm not sure, but it will not compensate the loss of 2 free uhlans. If it was a 5 lansknechts shipment, it could work in some match ups I guess.

For some reason I thought risintiger was your smurf :huh: