Is the 1 Falconet card ever worth it?

No Flag bugattivitesse
Skirmisher

Is the 1 Falconet card ever worth it?

Post by bugattivitesse »

In a Spanish FF for example, you get to age 3 around 7:10ish, ship 2 falcs and then pressure with your 8 pikes from aging. Then i immediately send more shipments with the xp i get, usually 9 highlanders. I never wait for the 2nd shipment to arrive, i just have it join the attacking force. Sometimes i lose the 2 falcs later on, but its usually a trade because then they have no army from focusing them down. In this situation would popping another falc from the home city be worth it? Particularly as Spain since they get more shipments.
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Re: Is the 1 Falconet card ever worth it?

Post by tedere12 »

7:10? Is that a piro ff time or im just that bad
No Flag a passing slimey
Crossbow

Post by a passing slimey »

Only in RE since spain just lack good fortress shipments. Just making skirms instead of shiping highlanders is better tho. More so if you are going with the 8 pike instead of 4 hussar.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Just saying, if you're ok with pressuring 1-2 minutes later you can send 1k wood and build a falc.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
No Flag bugattivitesse
Skirmisher

Post by bugattivitesse »

tedere12 wrote:7:10? Is that a piro ff time or im just that bad

Yeah thats the Piroshiki time.

ovi12 wrote:Just saying, if you're ok with pressuring 1-2 minutes later you can send 1k wood and build a falc.

Wouldn't that give them time to react? If someone goes to 3 they know 2 falcs are on their way next.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Considering it's worth only 500 resources — not really. On the other hand, it's a rather special unit that can cause a lot of damage if protected. Nevertheless, I'd rather not send it, as its replacements are usually just better — either other units that are always useful (even pikes may defend your main force of previously sent 2 falcs) or resources.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

In Euro FF match ups 3 falcs beat 2 falcs with 2 left, so in that case...
Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Post by Dsy »

It can be more effective than 7 skirms... So i think yeah can be optional.
United States of America __Uhlan__
Dragoon
ESO: __UhLaN__

Post by __Uhlan__ »

Imagine in a Spain v Spain mirror if you send this and keep 2 of your flacs alive after the fight...hmmm I wonder if it's viable then. Otherwise not really.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Trolololololo wrote:If you ship the 1 falconet then you will get your next shipment faster if you had shipped the 2 falconet card. I've tested this and it's one of the AOE3 pro secrets that never really got out.

Is that really so? can anybody else confirm this :unsure: :?:
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

iwillspankyou wrote:
Trolololololo wrote:If you ship the 1 falconet then you will get your next shipment faster if you had shipped the 2 falconet card. I've tested this and it's one of the AOE3 pro secrets that never really got out.

no, it probably is the opposite as the 2 falcs will do more damage (killing units or buildings) that will give you more exp for the next shipment
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

makes more sense
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

__Uhlan__ wrote:Imagine in a Spain v Spain mirror if you send this and keep 2 of your flacs alive after the fight...hmmm I wonder if it's viable then. Otherwise not really.

yea I think you can do it in a spain mirror, but in most other mus its not great
United States of America __Uhlan__
Dragoon
ESO: __UhLaN__

Post by __Uhlan__ »

gibson wrote:
__Uhlan__ wrote:Imagine in a Spain v Spain mirror if you send this and keep 2 of your flacs alive after the fight...hmmm I wonder if it's viable then. Otherwise not really.

yea I think you can do it in a spain mirror, but in most other mus its not great

Agreeded & maybe French mirror if the game goes fortress becuase 1 flac > 7 skrims if you have the mass to protect it.
Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Post by Dsy »

Btw are u planning to remove the bomber/horse auto switch? Could be a huge buff and fix falconet bug...
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

Goodspeed wrote:In Euro FF match ups 3 falcs beat 2 falcs with 2 left, so in that case...

But if any 2 falcs manage to beat 2 other falcs, then one falc of the winner should in most cases still remain alive. Considering the complete uselessness of the third shot in such a face-off, the additional falc does nothing.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

It does, actually — provides you with an additional cannon. You basically cannot lose a 3v2 falcs war, whereas even if you win a 2v2, you're left with one falconet, which is obviously inferior to two cannons.

tedere12 wrote:
iwillspankyou wrote:

no, it probably is the opposite as the 2 falcs will do more damage (killing units or buildings) that will give you more exp for the next shipment

No, it is not true at all, as you should have already judged by his nickname... :idea:
Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Post by Dsy »

Imperial Noob wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:In Euro FF match ups 3 falcs beat 2 falcs with 2 left, so in that case...

But if any 2 falcs manage to beat 2 other falcs, then one falc of the winner should in most cases still remain alive. Considering the complete uselessness of the third shot in such a face-off, the additional falc does nothing.

Lol and what guarentees that Your falc will remain alive? It can be yours or the Opponents.
In 3v2 falc fight, you will have Your 2 falcs alive with very high chance.
Great Britain britishmusketeer
Howdah

Post by britishmusketeer »

Imperial Noob wrote:

Both sides cannons shoot leading to a 2v1 situation. Then the side with one cannon does half health to one of the 2 cannons whilst simultaneously getting eliminated.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

1000w -> culverin still better.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

But much slower. Besides it wouldn't even be better, you would still have 2 falcs left after the art war. Now if you had said 1000w into 2 extra falcs, then sure.

I think there may be a place for the 1 falc card, but it would be highly situational.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

In a falco war early fort 3 falcs looks good in theory, with equal micro you are left with 2 falcs vs zero, effectively nagating your enemy's falco card..

But very situational indeed
Norway oxaloacetate
Dragoon

Post by oxaloacetate »

Goodspeed wrote:But much slower. Besides it wouldn't even be better, you would still have 2 falcs left after the art war. Now if you had said 1000w into 2 extra falcs, then sure.

I think there may be a place for the 1 falc card, but it would be highly situational.

Furthermore the card is depreciated further by the fact that it presupposes close-to-perfect execution, unlike e.g. resources shipments.
We watched the tragedy unfold
We did as we were told
We bought and sold
It was the greatest show on earth
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Also in MUs with goons in general an additional falc instead of something like skirms or more goons is very risky, since your opponent can just charge straight onto cannons with his light cav. Hence I wouldn't necessarily consider it worthwhile in for example a French mirror, but in a Spanish one — perhaps I would.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Like just getting 5 hussars or shipping crates and making 5 goons or something is simply better.