Request: Scouting Guide

Netherlands EscalonOne
Crossbow
ESO: Escalon

Request: Scouting Guide

Post by EscalonOne »

Hi all,

Im a mediocre player looking for some enemy-scouting tips. Any civ, any map, any situation.

Much appreciated!
No Flag bugattivitesse
Skirmisher

Re: Request: Scouting Guide

Post by bugattivitesse »

On Great plains, there is a 140 Food treasure guarded by a outlaw and 2 coyotes. Super easy treasure and it boosts age up. Its on the edge of the map, but still on the light colored grass, if that makes sense.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Generally, you should look for information that is important for you. If you play against the British, scouting their base in transition from the Discovery Age to the Colonial Age may tell you whether they sent the Virginia Company card. Later on, you should find out what military buildings your opponent put up to adjust your own army composition accordingly. On water maps you can of course seek for enemy docks. You may also utilise additional information, such as the visible number or TPs or decks.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

I think just try to scout your enemy as much as possible and you will slowly learn to figure out whats going on.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Scouting is great and all, but never underestimate the danger of the enemy knowing that you know what you know.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

i think diarouga posted a scouting guide for re maps. I cant find it tho
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

He deleted it.
Great Britain Jeedos
Musketeer
ESO: GodofSquishy

Post by Jeedos »

Your priorities for scouting are:
Where the good treasures are
Where your second/third hunts are, as well as future coin mines/TC locations.
Where your enemy is (generally you can assume the mirror opposite) and their hunts

As soon as they age up, what they aged up with, and what their first buildings/units are in that age.

Best civs to scout with are Dutch, French, Sioux, Japanese, Chinese and Indians.

Also, as @pecelot has said, it can help to look at decks and combine your scouting information as to what they are doing. E.g. if you see 700 coin drop out of a TC very early into colonial age, you can safely assume they're FFing. Although, don't read too much into the few cards virtually every civ can utilise, namely, wood cards.

Against civs that like to play aggressively sometimes like Iroquois, Russians and Ottomans, it helps to scout the mid map or near important locations such as a trade post to try and spot a forward rax or war hut. This also applies to civs that like to play aggressively vs. your own, e.g. if you're Japanese and spot a forward rax from a German that plans to go Xbow Pike Uhlan.
'I meme so' - British Longbowman.

Favourite civs; Dutch/Spanish.
Kyrgyzstan AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE
Lancer
ESO: dats my secret

Post by AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE »

pecelot wrote:He deleted it.

why? that was a really cool post.. sad...
Great Britain Jeedos
Musketeer
ESO: GodofSquishy

Post by Jeedos »

AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE wrote:

I've only been on ESOC community for about a week and the overall impression that I get from people's posts about him is that he was a petulant child.
'I meme so' - British Longbowman.

Favourite civs; Dutch/Spanish.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Scout if they leave vills on wood and/or put vills on coin. Germany with vills on wood and none on coin after age up is doing bow pike, actually most civs will be doing some bow pike action. China having vills on wood and not building a tp means theyre staying colonial. Try to look for an fb against civ like russia, see what the age up politician is for a civ like otto (tower age up means super aggressive ff for example) and always try to check the first shipment.

Scouting is as much about knowing the standard bo for civs as it is about knowing what to look for.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

evilcheadar wrote:Scouting is great and all, but never underestimate the danger of the enemy knowing that you know what you know.

This is actually a good tip. I try to do this occasionally to trick the scout. Especially if going for something crazy. If you see the scout come try to make it look normal.
mad cuz bad
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

Or make them believe you do something crazy while you dont. For example trying to hide shipment sent and military buildings
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

move your hero to the black area on the minimap, eventually you'll find your opponents town center.
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Jeedos wrote:
AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE wrote:

I've only been on ESOC community for about a week and the overall impression that I get from people's posts about him is that he was a petulant child.

Hi, thebritish... Oh, Goodspeed... uhm, Jeedos!

princeofkabul wrote:move your hero to the black area on the minimap, eventually you'll find your opponents town center.

#JustNotAoCThings

Actually, when I'm about to do something cheesy, I try to snipe the enemy explorer with my TC, although the determination with which I make such an attempt may be a hint in itself... :hmm:
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

Use 1hp militia or low hp units in general to check the units they're making or stand close to their next hunts/mines to know when their vills moved out from his base

Singapore milku3459
Howdah
ESO: milku3459

Post by milku3459 »

diarouga was a petulant child

Amen.
when the scout comes try to make everything look normal

Basically the scout is your mom and your base is your room. Motivated enough yet?

Good scouting of enemies comes with knowing the meta (what kind of strata he would try), knowing th enemy civ (playing it a bunch) and experience. Don't try to guess your opponent's strat too much if this is a Low PR game, esp if this on nilla as meta game is in-existent.
If you play against Aizamk, keep scout in base because you aren't going to learn anything.