Portuguese vs every civ

India _DB_
Howdah

Portuguese vs every civ

Post by _DB_ »

How would you play Ports exactly against each civ in the 14 MUs?

Suggest on the match ups you know how to play the best, especially in a mirror, against india, otto or japan?
Favourable match ups here-

Port Mirror
Port vs Sioux
Port vs Azzy
Port vs Iro
Port vs Brits
Port vs Dutch
Port vs French
Port vs Spain
Port vs Germany
Port vs Russia
Port vs Ottoman
Port vs India
Port vs China
Port vs Japan
Doing what you like is Freedom...
Liking what you do is Happiness...
France iNcog
Ninja

Portuguese vs every civ

Post by iNcog »

Excluding water play... I'll assume that we're playing on land maps with TPs.

Your best bet is probably a hussar or musk semi-FF in most match ups.

I would say that against civs like Germany and China, which are prone to semi-FF or straight FF, you're maybe better off doing a hussar start, into musket/hussar/xbow timing. The goal of the timing would be to do damage on their way up (raid, force idle villager time, destroy housing, etc.). You can then use the fast age politician to follow those civs into Fortress, after you've done your timing and you've been producing villagers from two TCs.

Overall I think it's sensible to say that you want to get to fortress every game, if possible, since Mamelukes are one of Port's greatest assets. Mamelukes are, imo, the key to winning the fight that gives Ports back some map control.

After you've stabilized in Fortress age, Ports become a competitive civilization again. Of course, getting to that point with Portuguese is so difficult that Ports really aren't "competitive". Basically anything you can do with Ports, you can probably do better with another civ.

Of course, ports just outright lose a lot of match ups, probably Iro / Otto for starters and then a few more besides that. I refer to Umeu vs H20 in smackdown some time ago.

Good players to look up to for Port play are WickedCossack, Umeu and of course Aiz-senpai.

Good card order is saving the first shipment, then going 700c, 700f*, 700w. Then you can send 600c to age up or you can send military shipments to either pressure opponent or hold off pressure yourself.

If you start with 200w with Ports, then get a TP first, send 4 of your starting vills to chop 100w for your house. If you time it right, you can get your TP + your house in the first age with like 1s of idle TC time (any treasure ofc helps immensely).

Lol i'm scrub so take everything with a grain of salt
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
India _DB_
Howdah

Portuguese vs every civ

Post by _DB_ »

incog wrote:Excluding water play... I''ll assume that we''re playing on land maps with TPs.

Your best bet is probably a hussar or musk semi-FF in most match ups.

I would say that against civs like Germany and China, which are prone to semi-FF or straight FF, you''re maybe better off doing a hussar start, into musket/hussar/xbow timing. The goal of the timing would be to do damage on their way up (raid, force idle villager time, destroy housing, etc.). You can then use the fast age politician to follow those civs into Fortress, after you''ve done your timing and you''ve been producing villagers from two TCs.

Overall I think it''s sensible to say that you want to get to fortress every game, if possible, since Mamelukes are one of Port''s greatest assets. Mamelukes are, imo, the key to winning the fight that gives Ports back some map control.

After you''ve stabilized in Fortress age, Ports become a competitive civilization again. Of course, getting to that point with Portuguese is so difficult that Ports really aren''t "competitive". Basically anything you can do with Ports, you can probably do better with another civ.

Of course, ports just outright lose a lot of match ups, probably Iro / Otto for starters and then a few more besides that. I refer to Umeu vs H20 in smackdown some time ago.

Good players to look up to for Port play are WickedCossack, Umeu and of course Aiz-senpai.

Good card order is saving the first shipment, then going 700c, 700f*, 700w. Then you can send 600c to age up or you can send military shipments to either pressure opponent or hold off pressure yourself.

If you start with 200w with Ports, then get a TP first, send 4 of your starting vills to chop 100w for your house. If you time it right, you can get your TP + your house in the first age with like 1s of idle TC time (any treasure ofc helps immensely).

Lol i''m scrub so take everything with a grain of salt
Great information there! Ty.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Portuguese vs every civ

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

I agree with what incog said. Btw, vs german go musk semi not huss semi^^
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Portuguese vs every civ

Post by Jaeger »

Probably semi ff is best in most matchups, otherwise ff, I don't think colonial is good anywhere.

Here are some tips:
1) ALWAYS try to take at least 1 TP, you need a TP because you need to ship food (since you will run out of food or map control before anyone else), and TP means earlier mamelukes
2)If you're being pushed early make sure to micro your TC's very well, try to never overkill even if it means leaving like 10 units at low HP. Also, some units like sepoy you can kill SUPER cost effectively, 2 TC shots get a sepoy down to a few HP and then your explorer can finish him off with a shot. Others like strelets are super awkward.
2) Don't send eco theory/300w in discovery
3) If you're being rushed and not aging yet, send 700f 600f to maintain vill production. The only way you can loose hard in that situation is if you don't make any vills
4) Try to always use TC fire ASAP when any units come in TC fire range, you army is gonna always be smaller so you need TC fire help
5) Organ guns loose to falconets, but they will still do some damage and make it much easier for TC fire or some goons to snipe them off.
6) Vs civs that go colonial, it's ok to hide your 3rd age TC wagon until you get your first army shipment/make some units, because good players will have a few units on all your hunts and they will see where your wagon is building and destroy it while it's building
7) Vs a civ which is semi-ff ing, send 1k gold first' you can use it to mass and will be safe for the moment, or you can use it to send mamelukes if youre being pressured in early fortress (since nobody can have enough goons at 9 minutes to deal with mamelukes). Also try to sneak in 1k wood, and 1k food will usually be a necessity later on.
8) You want to put your colonial TC's relatively close to each other so you prevent any rush, and then take more map control with your 3rd TC
9) Try to resist sending colonial militia if you can, 2 or 3 TC's with only 10 vills inside are just SO effective if you micro them properly
10) Almost always do early market, except on a 300f 100w start with no treasures. Most people don't know this but with portugese you can do early market with 14v age up very easily. The reason is because port starts with 1 more vill, than other civs.

Here are some semi-ff BO's
a) 700g 600g 700w, TP in transition to colonial with stable, ST, and house from 400w. This will get you an age up time of around 7:45-8:00
b) 700w 700g 600g (only vs fortress strats) Stable and everything else as in the above one, but you can build multiple TP's from 700w, get stagecoach if you want, and secure them with your TC's

If you ever end up on a map with very low food in base, you might wanna switch up the 600g with 700f. Also, if youre going to have to do a musk semi, go for 700f instead of 600g.

Some ff BO's
a) The standard ff is make a TP in transition, age with 500f, ship 700g 700w and age up with 6 cassadores
b) You can ff slightly different with a bit better eco, age up with 400w and send 700g 700w, and you can get steel traps placer mines and TP from 400w. It's slightly slower tho. Still usually you age up with 6 cassadors, but in a team game or something you might want to age up fast to ship organs right away if your team is being rushed hard.
c) You can do the stagecoach thing again like in semi ff with 700g 700w 1k wood and just cover your TP's with your TC's

Now the way to decide weather you want to ff or to semi ff is based on what your enemy is doing.
Vs civs that go colonial, you usually want to cav semi ff so you can keep them busy and not let them have 100% map control and to keep them busy and have a little bit of cover for your TC wagon.
Vs civs that semi ff you also want to semi ff so that again, you can have some cover for your TC wagon.
Vs civs that just ff you can just ff as well
If somebody's gonna rush you hard a straight ff might also be good, even though you will probably forced to put your 3rd TC in base you will kill their army so cost effectively with TC fire that you can just push out with your first or second fortress shipment and take the food you need witouth needing a TC there to secure it

Vs japan you might want to do a pike semi ff to siege shrines.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
France benj89
Howdah

Portuguese vs every civ

Post by benj89 »

musk/8xb rush all those civ and trash talk after you win is the way you play port!!
more seriously I think it's the only reason you would stay age2, some kind of hard rush. otherwise always ff or semi. they're still a very fun civ to play imo, for their water (prob the best civ to learn it, and water+organ spam is orgasmic), their fun rush, their MM strat, their op mams, fun civ overall
good port player you can look up on rts or somewhere else: nemesis/eclispe smtg (that guy had many accs tho 15)
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
India _DB_
Howdah

Portuguese vs every civ

Post by _DB_ »

Ovi makes good points about exactly playing ports. Thanks all of you!
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Portuguese vs every civ

Post by yemshi »

What's about Ports vs Japan?
Port can't rush (very) well (enough), some FF/FI will be countered (?)
India _DB_
Howdah

Portuguese vs every civ

Post by _DB_ »

yemshi wrote:What''s about Ports vs Japan?
Port can''t rush (very) well (enough), some FF/FI will be countered (?)
You can''t really beat Japan with ports unless you''re as troll as Boneng on saguanay.
Germany yemshi
Jaeger

Portuguese vs every civ

Post by yemshi »

So there is absolutely NO way to get chances?
10/10?
ATP maps (yellow river etc?)
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Portuguese vs every civ

Post by Jaeger »

yemshi wrote:So there is absolutely NO way to get chances?
10/10?
ATP maps (yellow river etc?)

10 pike semi ff to kill shrines, maybe ATP idk
Germany yemshi
Jaeger

Portuguese vs every civ

Post by yemshi »

And in III?
musk/skirm/organ?
goon?
India Nymphomaniac
Dragoon

Portuguese vs every civ

Post by Nymphomaniac »

on water maps ports can beat japan by water eco + warship laming :D
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Portuguese vs every civ

Post by Jaeger »

yemshi wrote:And in III?
musk/skirm/organ?
goon?
I don''t really know, you probably have to go for artillery that''s your only hope vs mass yumi ashi. Like musk organ culv with some goons, casadors, and mamelukes
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Portuguese vs every civ

Post by Garja »

Against japan your best bet is to do a pike semi (same thing as ff but you siege down some shrines and get a eco meanwhile).
Then you need to know exactly what is his army composition to define yours. You're quite happy if he makes ashi and nagi as you can make use of all your unit cards, but he will likely start yumi then nagi then ashi. In that case best thing to do is make cassas huss. You can't spam both right away so you need to buy some time but without making him feel comfortable. Unfortunately 5 mams is not enough to win a battle convincigly and that's why you make
huss. Ideally you want to switch to a more effective skirm anticav organs but that's too expensive to make early on. Try to keep things under control while booming from 3tcs and using age3 techs. It's very hard MU as japan is just better civ but you can use this info to.cut corners and win games where you have some skill/knowledge edge over your opponent.
Image Image Image
Switzerland _venox_
Howdah
ESO: _Venox_

Portuguese vs every civ

Post by _venox_ »

try to get an early market or tp and age up with 400w, make sure you have market with hunting dogs + a tp before you hit the age up, gather 425 coin for steel traps and send 700c 700f (age fast or 6 skirms) 700w for stable rax and houses OR if really being pressured unit shipments or the cm card, also get the coin upgrade in the meantime. Go for cassadores goons and halberds vs heavy cav civs or organ vs colo/inf based civs with 1k coin and mameluke to follow is what I would always do. Expect sometimes you will just go spice trade 700c 700w instead of 700c 700f 700w
Don't let the things you can't change dictate your life.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Portuguese vs every civ

Post by Garja »

If you're cav seming the most efficient build is 700g 600g. Also nowadays many skip the card in age1 but actually eco theory is just as good choice.
Image Image Image
Germany yemshi
Jaeger

Portuguese vs every civ

Post by yemshi »

What about 300wood in Age I?
+1TP+Market
Switzerland _venox_
Howdah

Portuguese vs every civ

Post by _venox_ »

portus will never start with 300w...
Germany yemshi
Jaeger

Portuguese vs every civ

Post by yemshi »

Competitive you mean :)

EDIT: The shipment^^
Switzerland _venox_
Howdah

Portuguese vs every civ

Post by _venox_ »

and with 200w start gathering 250w and 50c for a tp and early market will make you age up really late. Oh misunderstood you. For each card you send the next card will take more experience to be sent. If you send a card in discovery then you always have to gather the difference in exp between one shipment and the other more. Also you will get a tp and a market during the age up anyways. If you think 300w will mean 2 tps and a market then without the 300w shipment you could've built the 2. tp from the 400w anyways.