Skirm Age Up

United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Skirm Age Up

Post by evilcheadar »

Anyone else a big fan of aging up with skirms as France? It just saddens me so much to see those fellas go to waste! Also if you can pull it off successfully without your town being burned down it gonna be op.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Re: Skirm Age Up

Post by tedere12 »

dont age up to make skirms. you spend 2200 resources for 1 unit when you can just send early skirms instead. Lets not argue about goons, we all know pikes are better anti-cav
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

If you have xp for an age 3 shipment, fast age up is always better.
The problem for slow age up: you have 110s during transition. If you dont train any unit in this 110s you may lose the game. But if you trained something, such as musk hussar, you won't upgrade them in age 3 and there're better age 3 units.
So on no tp maps a slow age up with hussar or skirm is acceptable.

I may do a hussar semi, and age up with 4 hussar on no tp maps. You can get 20+ veteran hussars which is quite scary.
Germany Akechi_Mitsuhide
Dragoon
ESO: Akechi_Mitsuhide

Post by Akechi_Mitsuhide »

tedere12 wrote:dont age up to make skirms. you spend 2200 resources for 1 unit when you can just send early skirms instead. Lets not argue about goons, we all know pikes are better anti-cav

Nah, what about the veteran skirm upgrade, the shipments, ...?
Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Post by Dsy »

Its bad...:D
110s age up for 6 skirms vs
40s age up

(Sending a shipment is 40s too)
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

Akechi_Mitsuhide wrote:
tedere12 wrote:dont age up to make skirms. you spend 2200 resources for 1 unit when you can just send early skirms instead. Lets not argue about goons, we all know pikes are better anti-cav

Nah, what about the veteran skirm upgrade, the shipments, ...?

send advanced arsenal, and crates to make pikes/skirmisher
Great Britain britishmusketeer
Howdah

Post by britishmusketeer »

Slow age is bad for four reasons: 1)You lose a couple of vills through idle tc time. 2) You have to wait an extra minute to make age 3 units. 3) you have to wait a minute to send an age 3 shipment. 4) you have to wait an extra minute on your vet upgrade. If three or more of those conditions are not important then slow age is probably better(otto ff for example).
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

Ye but sometimes i see people aging up broke with no pop space and no cards.. getting in age3 faster in this case makes no much sence.. sometimes 6skirms is better... But i agree, not in most cases
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

lemmings121 wrote:Ye but sometimes i see people aging up broke with no pop space and no cards.. getting in age3 faster in this case makes no much sence.. sometimes 6skirms is better... But i agree, not in most cases

Yea I see this too often.

Fast age is best 95% of the time. But there are times where you have no cards and low ability to train anything and I just see someone age to 3 and don't do anything with it for 1 min. People have defaulted to that's the only age up you can do now xD

6 Cass as port is probably the most viable compared to fre/ger and I found some good builds with it especially on maps like Bengal that have no TP. Even still I wouldn't use it very often, just for very niche cases. But they do exist.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

ye on no tp maps i would semi with slow age. Also with ports I often do the slow age because I still have 1 tc to train vils from and I can make huss in transition anyway, so its not so bad.Another reason to age slow is that people often dont scout but they do get triggered to attack by the age up notification. So you can age up without problems sometimes if you age with units instead of fast.
United States of America Darwin_
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

What about 4cdb 700c 700w? Age on the 700c and start making hussar during transition. You get up around the same time but you have 6 extra skirms but 3 fewer vills. Those untis could be quite valuable in some matchups.
somppukunkku wrote:This is not a fucking discogame.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

I would think seeing slow ageup changed to 80 secs tbh
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

gibson wrote:I would think seeing slow ageup changed to 80 secs tbh

piroshiki would approve
marco too
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

You also delete villagers and create a large window to get timing attacked in.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Ye you dont train vils for 1 min longer but often the age up sign triggers an attack, so sometimes it actually buys you gather time to age slow rather than fast. But ye for most civs its not the best. But for example a russian kalmuck ff, dont have eco for fast age up and spam anyway. Or sioux on some maps might want to age with herds. Both civs have in common that they can train their age3 unit in age2 as well
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

kinda have to play vs your opponent in this situation, if you know theyre a poor scouter and u dont have a shipment then maybe slow age is good, otherwise its not and fast age is alot better
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

In the other thread I was arguing that it may be viable in a MU like France vs Russia, as like umeu said the advancement announcement is usually a sign for the Russians to start an engagement, and it can buy you some time in which you can still make infantry and hussars, while still receiving additional 6 skirmishers immediately after the age-up. That said, though, it seems situational and you don't omit the aforementioned drawbacks — you TC is idle for longer, your colonial units aren't that great, whereas for instance the Russian ones are.
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

In some games when I do 6 skirm age up, I'll bluff by prodding the enemy army with my existing forces to make it look like I'm committing to colonial combat. The key is to never overcommit to an actual big engagement where the enemy will know the extent of your forces.

Singapore milku3459
Howdah
ESO: milku3459

Post by milku3459 »

evilcheadar wrote:In some games when I do 6 skirm age up, I'll bluff by prodding the enemy army with my existing forces to make it look like I'm committing to colonial combat. The key is to never overcommit to an actual big engagement where the enemy will know the extent of your forces.

That's some Art of War stuff right there
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

milku3459 wrote:
evilcheadar wrote:In some games when I do 6 skirm age up, I'll bluff by prodding the enemy army with my existing forces to make it look like I'm committing to colonial combat. The key is to never overcommit to an actual big engagement where the enemy will know the extent of your forces.

That's some Art of War stuff right there

Yesh, work pretty well I'd say. Not so much vs people who know I like to choose 6 skirm age

Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Yea, some people will hide away at their base during a long age up, which IMO is one of the worst things you can do as it just makes it obvious you're aging.

Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

It's not like it's the only indication of an advancement, and still your base is the safest place on the map in such circumstances :hmm:
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

pecelot wrote:It's not like it's the only indication of an advancement, and still your base is the safest place on the map in such circumstances :hmm:

Safest place to end up dying regardless. If they know you're aging slow they can just make units and crush you in your base. Even if you send 3 huss or something to hold. :hmm:

Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

lol cause defending in your base only gives you potential for 3 huss pop :uglylol:
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

pecelot wrote:lol cause defending in your base only gives you potential for 3 huss pop :uglylol:

It also gives you potential to be stomped outright faster which is bad if you want to draw out the game. Really you should be focused on keeping your tc alive during the extended length age up and ideally make it a surprise when you do manage to age.