Useful micro tips?

United States of America Hidddy_
Retired Contributor
ESO: Hidalgito

Useful micro tips?

Post by Hidddy_ »

I'm looking to improve my unit micro and was wondering, what are the most useful unit micro tips you've all picked up will playing age?

Any and all tips are welcome; i.e. control groups, attack moves, hotkeys, etc...
De Funk
Netherlands Me4rts
Crossbow
ESO: Me4rts

Re: Useful micro tips?

Post by Me4rts »

venividivici has a good micro tutorial on his yt channel
Italy DaRkNiTe1698
Lancer
ESO: Marco1698

Post by DaRkNiTe1698 »

Make control groups and do practise with them
United States of America Hidddy_
Retired Contributor
ESO: Hidalgito

Post by Hidddy_ »

Me4rts wrote:venividivici has a good micro tutorial on his yt channel

Thank you I'll definitely check it out
De Funk
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Try to poke and keep active with your army instead of standing and fighting. This is a big one H2O taught me and something which all top level players use. Instead of attack moving your army, try to move in, poke, and move away while they're not moving at their army. This is extremely efficient and if you apm is high you can constantly do this. This works better with units with more range (skirmishers) obviously, but it definitely works for musketeers as well. Just make sure to remember: never stand and fight, always move your army.

I'm not sure what your level is but at lower levels (up to ~pr25) micro doesn't really matter. As long as you're consistently spending your resources and you're not floating (= not spending) your resources, you should win most fights regardless of micro if you attack move.

Veni's videos are definitely informative but they're aimed at a higher leveled audience. Things like microing your 5 hussars vs 5 hussars are definitely useful to know, but they won't give you that jump in skill and consequently rank.
United States of America CurassierAndCurassier
Retired Contributor
ESO: Montcalm17

Post by CurassierAndCurassier »

Learn how many units need to shoot a particular unit to kill it. If 4 skirmishers one shot a unit and you use 15, youre overkilling.

Unpopular: Don't like attack move. People at higher levels will abuse it by bringing tanky units like vills up close to the fight.
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

Engage with all units at the same time. Try not to walk with your units too much in a big fight, unless you're quickly repositioning or kiting. Don't let units go idle during the fight or sieging buildings for no reason. Use explorers to tank shots/snare infantry

India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

Know when he completes construction of rax/stable, know that musk/most inf is trained in 30 secs and hus/most cav in 40 secs (can test ez). Time your attacks and retreats to make the most of ur army and face the least of ur enemy's. Works even better if u can time attacks vs artillery.

Such stuff works very well vs certain civs and most mirrors, and is extremely important against a civ like China. For eg, summer palace training time can be tested and with decent distraction, a batch can be easily isolated and destroyed. This is what timings mean to me anyway.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Im kinda started to think the way and timing with which you engage a fight (and maybe the decision to engage at all) are waaaay more important than actual micro during the fight. I feel like half of the time, if not more, you overmicro to the point where it was better to do nothing at all.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

Me4rts wrote:venividivici has a good micro tutorial on his yt channel

link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yoiySkMMyY
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

If your are playing as india, in the early fights, never engage without your explorer elephent. Throw them on top of crossbowman or whatever light infantry the enemy has. If you and the enemy are kiting against each other with skirms, make an active effort to move the damaged ones to the back of the formation if you can.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

The pull trick is big.

Abusing how fast units move with formations is a great one.

Another trick along those lines I've been using lately for chasing cav with goons. you take 15 goons right click far away so they are in the long formation. Then only grab the first 4-5 attack move. They kill the goon while the others keep running. Regrab the whole group with the hotkey and have them move in the long formation again. The goons that attacked will sprint ahead to make the formation again. This allows them to basically fire while moving because they run so fast. You can use this to kill all the cav running from a raid instead of just a few of them.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

_H2O wrote:The pull trick is big.

Abusing how fast units move with formations is a great one.

Another trick along those lines I've been using lately for chasing cav with goons. you take 15 goons right click far away so they are in the long formation. Then only grab the first 4-5 attack move. They kill the goon while the others keep running. Regrab the whole group with the hotkey and have them move in the long formation again. The goons that attacked will sprint ahead to make the formation again. This allows them to basically fire while moving because they run so fast. You can use this to kill all the cav running from a raid instead of just a few of them.

Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

More insight on the "pull trick" ?
Singapore milku3459
Howdah
ESO: milku3459

Post by milku3459 »

lemmings121 wrote:More insight on the "pull trick" ?

Show us rekts recs senpai