German FI/Merc build?

United States of America CurassierAndCurassier
Retired Contributor
ESO: Montcalm17

German FI/Merc build?

Post by CurassierAndCurassier »

I suck ass at Germany. I find them too weak economically and inflexible. (I feel pretty much forced to build a TP and send the SW shipments first and second each game)

I know I've seen Aiz and Mitoe do interesting stuff with mercs and FI-ing. Whats the process for those builds? Any good recs to study?
Argentina AraGun
Lancer
ESO: AraGun_OP

Re: German FI/Merc build?

Post by AraGun »

Too weak economically?? They have the strongest eco in the game pretty much lol.
Retired Contributor

They get 10 settler wagons. IF you send all the shipments and if you send them all in a row thats really risky and greedy.

Also having only 3 starting eco units means you cant be as flexible super early game. I like sending 1 vill out to herd or chop wood right away
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

not Fi or Mercs, but some builds.
https://youtu.be/ZzVWFbvbNYw
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

gs knows some german fi builds
Retired Contributor

IAmSoldieR wrote:not Fi or Mercs, but some builds.
https://youtu.be/ZzVWFbvbNYw

Didnt know you were on youtube! I'll check them out
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

FI build is basically the exact same as any of the standard FF or semi-FF builds, but you send 1000c as your first and only card in fortress instead and go straight to industrial with that. Alternatively if you think you have time you can try to sneak 2SW into your build and then just gather the resources to go industrial while you're going fortress and send 1000w instead of 1000c, but this is slower and will usually result in dying to a timing or something.

FI might actually be decent if German had any respectable skirm or crate shipments in Industrial, but unfortunately you only get 12 and 9 skirms, instead of 14 and 12, and no crates. 10 Guard Hussar is good, and you have a lot of good cannon shipments you can send (age with 2 falcs, and then can send 3 horse cannons, 2 heavies, 2 horse cannons), but your composition isn't very well rounded and will be pretty weak to Dragoons. Most of the merc shipments in Industrial are mediocre for their cost compared to the fortress age merc shipments, so those aren't really worth it for the most part too, with the exception of 7 Elmeti maybe.

8 and 9 dopps are good cards in terms of resources, but since you would also have to invest in at least a vet upgrade they tend to be mediocre.

If someone could find a way to get a reasonably well-rounded composition without completely defeating the purpose of aging in the first place then the German FI would have a lot of potential. Unfortunately for me I lost most of the games I tried to do this.

As for Fortress age merc builds, defer to Kaiserklein.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Still, though, it's 12 skirms + 4 uhlans, right?
Also GodSpeed said lately that you shouldn't send 1000 coin when doing a FI :!:
Canada Mitoe

Post by Mitoe »

You don't have to, but it's riskier not to. In an ideal world you would love to send 1000w instead, but that's going to get you killed more often than not in my experience.

Something I wanted to test was something like 3SW 700w Palatine (in transition to Fort) 1000c. Might be good. You burn through a lot of population very fast once you hit industrial, and the card might actually pay off with an FI build. I'm not sure you'll have enough cards available when you hit fort or industrial though for it to be worth it, unless you can somehow squeeze in 2 TPs safely instead of 1, which is normally not possible or worth it.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

ofc u have cards, cuz the secret to euro FI is age 1000c, gather 500 and get mercantilism. Everyone knows this. (iro and azzy can also do this actually.)
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

So if you were to do a German FI, then would you recommend doing a naked FF first or a semi-FF?
Canada Mitoe

Post by Mitoe »

Depends on the matchup and what your opponent is doing I guess. Ideally you probably want to to some sort of naked FF with something like 3 SW 700w and just gather the resources to age, but if you think you're going to need units you can make 10 or so uhlans and just ship 700c afterward to age.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

Naked would be the way to go against slower civs then. If you need units in the first place, maybe don't FI in the first place, I guess.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

AraGun wrote:Too weak economically?? They have the strongest eco in the game pretty much lol.

How ?
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Argentina AraGun
Lancer
ESO: AraGun_OP

Post by AraGun »

Kaiserklein wrote:
AraGun wrote:Too weak economically?? They have the strongest eco in the game pretty much lol.

How ?

Ever heard of settler wagons? those little men that have a cart attatched to them. Try sending the mill card and making them sometime maybe in your 2v2 games with mitoe.

German eco is second only to china I believe... Now the fact that you probably cant reach this point in a 1v1 supremacy game is a whole different point.. but dont say they have weak eco cause they have potentially second best eco in age of empires III
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Sadly we don't play against master sergeants with Mitoe, so sending the mill card doesn't work. Unless you're talking about nr 40, then sure.
I btw never said they have a weak eco, just reacted when you say they have the best eco.
The fact that you can't reach this point in a 2v2 sup is actually the whole point, what good is it to potentially have the best eco if you can never reach it ?
Or then you could also say that russia has an OP eco, because of their 3 tc boom which prod 1.5 times faster than other civs. Sadly, in a real game, their eco is most often not so good...
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..