Conscript to Lieutenant — A Beginner's Guide to Basics

Great Britain ListlessSalmon
Skirmisher
ESO: ListlessSalmon

Re: Conscript to Lieutenant - A Beginner's Guide to Basics

Post by ListlessSalmon »

ListlessSalmon wrote:Good timing on this! I started playing a few days ago and this seems like it will helpful, thanks :)

3am yesterday: am PR 12
4am yesterday: read Site's guide
now: Am 2nd Lt.

Guide works confirmed.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

lemmings121 wrote:
kami_ryu wrote:I think the number 1 way to go from 0 to 25 is to:

1. Learn a build and do it well
2. Make vills and units constantly

Not everyone is a prodigy like you :P :P

It took me quite a while to get half decent.

Then another huge time to get 3/4 decent. Thats where I'm now :biggrin:

don't think i'm a prodigy, i lose many games still :p
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

It took me 2 years to get from pr10 to pr 22 and another 2 to get from pr22 to pr 25 :S
United States of America site
Lancer
Donator 01
ESO: site

Post by site »

I'd chalk a good portion of that up to past RTS experience, but I'm really happy to hear that you benefitted from this. I might write more about my theories on stuff as I get better at the game.

In the meantime, keep an eye out for the Bi-weekly newsletters the Studio puts out. There are strategies in each one, written by top tier players.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

The way to get to PR30 is not much different; majors and just much better and faster at doing the things site says, and doing the small things well.

Having taken a step back from AOE3, I think I see things much more clearly. If I would want to get to PR35+ now I would just rec every game and analyze it (something I never did before since I found it extremely boring). I really think this is the best practical step for reaching the next level. Like most people, I just followed a cookie cutter BO and relied on my mechanics to beat lower players. After 9-10 minutes, my only though proccess was "make vills, make army, and attack". Now I would watch the rec and see when would it be best to attack, what are the things I couldld've scouted to figure out that it was the right time to attack, to age, etc. Basically be very open minded and apply the sciencific method. Don't base your decisions on what you think should or shouldn't work, base them on what actually works. As Aizamk shows, you can win with many "bad" BO's if you just play well.

Ofc you can start this proccess at any PR; it's just my advice to captains and majors who have hit a ceiling.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
United States of America CurassierAndCurassier
Retired Contributor
ESO: Montcalm17

Post by CurassierAndCurassier »

Any advice for someone stuck at Master Serg? I've got the Samwise and 5 cav semi builds down for France but I often blow games after starting out with an early lead and am stuck in the 16-18 PR range.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

CurassierAndCurassier wrote:Any advice for someone stuck at Master Serg? I've got the Samwise and 5 cav semi builds down for France but I often blow games after starting out with an early lead and am stuck in the 16-18 PR range.

you know your pop queue? make sure there's always something there, preferably villagers
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

Great guide site! It's cool because it helps a lot new players!
A guide for being captain and major is not hard really :
A guide for being captain : Pick otto, go FF
A guide for being major : Pick germany, go renegados rush
And I swear I'm not even joking
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

CurassierAndCurassier wrote:Any advice for someone stuck at Master Serg? I've got the Samwise and 5 cav semi builds down for France but I often blow games after starting out with an early lead and am stuck in the 16-18 PR range.

IMO just follow site's guide as best as you can. Probably don't do the samwise build too much. You need to give more details tho if you want more specific advice
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by site »

ovi12 wrote:

IMO just follow site's guide as best as you can. Probably don't do the samwise build too much. You need to give more details tho if you want more specific advice

The Samwise build is a bit outdated for the current meta of TP builds. It is very viable on a map with no TP's, but taking a TP at start or transition and doing a 5 huss semi-ff or 10 musk semi-ff is usually the better option. Since you said you typically do the 5 cav semi-ff, try switching it up and doing 10 musk instead. This means that you will assuredly take out the enemies cav if he starts as such as long as you can catch them during a raid. Also, you have more siege potential to take out a TP or FB.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

site wrote:
ovi12 wrote:

The Samwise build is a bit outdated for the current meta of TP builds. It is very viable on a map with no TP's, but taking a TP at start or transition and doing a 5 huss semi-ff or 10 musk semi-ff is usually the better option. Since you said you typically do the 5 cav semi-ff, try switching it up and doing 10 musk instead. This means that you will assuredly take out the enemies cav if he starts as such as long as you can catch them during a raid. Also, you have more siege potential to take out a TP or FB.

Musk semi is considered inferior most of the time. Just ask any high level players; alternatively, you can probably use 1 hand to count the number of french musk semis in all ESOC tournaments after RO8.
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by site »

ovi12 wrote:
site wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Musk semi is considered inferior most of the time. Just ask any high level players; alternatively, you can probably use 1 hand to count the number of french musk semis in all ESOC tournaments after RO8.

Perhaps I am just experiencing a good deal of luck with it then.
India drsingh
Dragoon
ESO: drsingh

Post by drsingh »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:Great guide! I would say avoiding idle time is the most important thing to improve, I myself suffer from idle town centers all the time. I wouldn't say each civilizations can benefit from a rush, fast fortress, and economic build. Rather I would specify per civilization what their best option is. You're also missing a timing attack in that list, which almost all civilizations use. What I mean by this is that French doesn't have a good rush, but they have a good xbow pike timing, semi fast fortress, and musk huss economic build.

Also this is small but units specified in game with the tag Light Infantry are not actually Light Infantry. In the game units with the tag Light Infantry are units like Coyote Runners and Chakrams (which are not good against heavy infantry).

I think you mean tiger claw.
Chakram are tagged RI. They have splash damage and lay waste to heavy and ranged inf alike. countered by cav and Light inf.

Is there any post about the various timings of different civ. Like of french mentioned here..
United States of America CurassierAndCurassier
Retired Contributor
ESO: Montcalm17

Post by CurassierAndCurassier »

ovi12 wrote:
site wrote:
Show hidden quotes

FWIW I have done musk semis against Germany and it works wonders. No idea how good it is against other civs
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by site »

I've done it in French mirrors and it works well.
Singapore milku3459
Howdah
ESO: milku3459

Post by milku3459 »

Musk semi is bad because you cannot
1. raid
2. do anything but hide because you'll just be outmassed
3. aren't very good at hiding either.

I prefer musk rush>musk semi vs Germany because Germany only gets xbows to deal with musks. Once your mass is big enough there isn't much Ger can do.
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by site »

milku3459 wrote:Musk semi is bad because you cannot
1. raid
2. do anything but hide because you'll just be outmassed
3. aren't very good at hiding either.

I prefer musk rush>musk semi vs Germany because Germany only gets xbows to deal with musks. Once your mass is big enough there isn't much Ger can do.

Renegado rush
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Rikikipu wrote:A guide for being major : Pick germany, go renegados rush

TIGER WANTS A CHALLENGE ROAAAAAAR
Singapore milku3459
Howdah

Post by milku3459 »

What I did was change civs around, find a sweet spot (spain rod rush got me out of MS to LT). Every time you find a strat you can execute relatively well and works on your PR boosts you up a few levels. Don't feel limited to France
Singapore milku3459
Howdah

Post by milku3459 »

ListlessSalmon wrote:
ListlessSalmon wrote:Good timing on this! I started playing a few days ago and this seems like it will helpful, thanks :)

3am yesterday: am PR 12
4am yesterday: read Site's guide
now: Am 2nd Lt.

Guide works confirmed.

but...but...how?!?!
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

Imo when you feel stuck in a lower level, it might be a good time to start exploring new civs. What civ you have more trouble against? lets say is japan as an example. start playing japan for a week to get the feel of the civ, in the future when you are back to fre, you will notice its a bit easier to play vs jap, since now you better understand the civ. you dont even have to go back to fre, you might start liking germans, then you practice with it for a while... not saying that you have to learn all civs in game, but imo its a requirement to play a lest a bit with each one to better understand how to play against it.

Or you could just keep practicing 100% fre. other people prefer this approach, idk if mine is more efficient, but sure is more fun xD
Tonga sdsanft
Howdah
ESO: sdsanft

Post by sdsanft »

lemmings121 wrote:

Imo when you feel stuck in a lower level, it might be a good time to start exploring new civs. What civ you have more trouble against? lets say is japan as an example. start playing japan for a week to get the feel of the civ, in the future when you are back to fre, you will notice its a bit easier to play vs jap, since now you better understand the civ. you dont even have to go back to fre, you might start liking germans, then you practice with it for a while... not saying that you have to learn all civs in game, but imo its a requirement to play a lest a bit with each one to better understand how to play against it.

Or you could just keep practicing 100% fre. other people prefer this approach, idk if mine is more efficient, but sure is more fun xD

I was stuck at pr19 playing france, learned to play china, got to pr23, switched back to france, i can now beat most 2lt on re pretty easy.

Site: Be there or be square
Jakey: I'm square because I'm not around
Singapore milku3459
Howdah

Post by milku3459 »

I tried France because of all the "training" and "good MUs" hype but it was boring as all heck.

I stack 2000 food in Colonial and have literally no way to spend it. My vills are unraidable and...to me France is just very bland.

go russia
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by site »

Cuirassiers are fun though.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

milku3459 wrote:I tried France because of all the "training" and "good MUs" hype but it was boring as all heck.

I stack 2000 food in Colonial and have literally no way to spend it. My vills are unraidable and...to me France is just very bland.

go russia

You were floating 20 hundred food and you couldn't spend it? :hmm: