Portuguese versus French

No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Portuguese versus French

Post by kami_ryu »

I'm not too sure about this match up. I feel like it is French favored from the get-go, but if Port can take 1 or 2 wins early in the game (winning cav fight, good raid, treasure, etc.) then it becomes even quite quickly.

In other words, Ports have to play this flawlessly. I played this match up recently and unfortunately I don't have a replay to share, otherwise I would have posted it. I do have a stream VOD (shameless self plug), so here it is: https://youtu.be/CnnT-zENQxg?t=1h22m30s

Specifically, I'm looking for when things went wrong on my end during the game. Ignoring potential imbalances or map screws, I was wondering if anyone could look at that game and say "you made a mistake here, this is what you should have done". Hindsight is 20/20, right? Had a better player than me been in those situations, things would have been better. That's why I'm not interested in balance, I'd rather hear about my play and decisions.

I think the right way to play the match up, at least in a semi-FF war, is to do what I did: a hussar semi. But is that the best way to approach the match up itself?
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Re: Portuguese versus French

Post by Challenger_Marco »

Hey ,watched ur stream a bit, how did edit those things? U changed ur tc name to home base , vills name gather gather, menu name menu and today's special, changed time like aizamk , and when resigned you=noob,lol etc ,how do u do those things? I wanna know please make videos of how to edit things would be nice.
Well I watched at the end part of game , 1 mistake I found was u run with goons back ,why? U ve 2 tc and +mm with some cassa and goons I think u should have fighted there to do max damage as possible and yh he would have won that battle but still u could have tried that , I think the mm from 2nd tc was late .
:nwc:
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

Look for stringtabley.xml in your installation folder. It has all the text items you see in game, you'll understand right away when you open the file. Back it up though
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

You could perhaps place your 2nd TC more offensively to secure more map control and gain access to valuable resources, while at the same time starting defensively with muskets, as it's hard to win a cav-semi vs the French. You should have definitely sent a wood shipment, ideally 700w, 700f or 600c you could gather yourself if shipments were a problem to such an extent. You obviously lost some vills to huss, which was unfortunate, but at the same time I didn't see you raiding that much, even straight after hitting age 3. No wood slowed down your production, you had a nice window of opportunity to engage, but couldn't really get enough mass.
Paying attention to the minimap is always useful as well, you seemed not to notice 2 raids, later on near your right TC. You could herd the north hunt there a bit sooner and provide additional LOS with smart house placement.
And in the end you just got outmassed. You saw he added the second stable, whereas you had only one production building. You won't have more goons than him if you have to sustain 3 TC production I think, so IMO you should focus more on Cassadors to poke him a bit. In lower numbers it doesn't necessarily work, but once you have like 20 skirms, it's way more effective.
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

on RE it's always french favored. on EP port should win imo.
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

This map has very few hunts, I don't think there's a lot of things ports can do there. Probably ship 8 + 7 cass while making goon and then add rax since he was going full goon and started with 1000wood, maybe you could push a bit
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

I played this from the french side, and i think atp is very annoying to deal with. On maps that you cant atp you gotta rely in strong age 3 timings such as mamelukes

Edit: I just watched the game, you took way too many bad trades there (losing the hus+goon fight, losing 7 cassas for free, raids, etc). Try not to discard the BO you did, try to do it better next time and see what happens

United States of America CurassierAndCurassier
Retired Contributor
ESO: Montcalm17

Post by CurassierAndCurassier »

I think France straight up wins this matchup except on EP, where Ports are ridiculous.

The biggest advantage Portugal would have are their superior dragoons negating the French heavy cav