Ceylon

New Zealand Withen
Crossbow
ESO: Withen

Ceylon

Post by Withen »

Hi, some of you might remember me from the "official" forum but if not, no worries because I am not very good. Anyway, I was just playing a Ceylon game as Brits (vs French) and I was wondering how people would sort of go about this.

It's not too much use talking about the specific game because my opponent didn't really seem to be creating their CdBs. However, it is a starting point and I did take some screenshotsafter the game was finished. And as I remember things I shipped... 3vills, exotic hardwoods, schooners, either virginia company/600w*, the other one of those, then, and I am less certain now, 5vills, rendering plant, extensive fortifications, infantry school, improved grenades, land grab and infantry/gren hp/attack.

The basic idea was to transport a dozen or so grens over to their starting island but despite their economy issues I was being kept under pressure on my little corner of the main island, but they didn't train any more falconets after I destroyed the first two in favour of cuirs. I don't know why they switched because a mass of outposts will kill cavalry fairly effectively if they're not taken down fast with some (bad) micro. I think the defeat of the army in the screenshot by my musk/huss/outpost + a few goons was what caused the eventual resignation rather than anything I actually intended to do.

As Ceylon is more intended to be played, how should it work?

*I need to fix that card, should be 700w (I only very reluctantly started using crates so I was probably like homecity level 80+ by the time I got any).
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Re: Ceylon

Post by wardyb1 »

Don't play ceylon :D
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
United States of America saveyourskill
Skirmisher

Post by saveyourskill »

Me and Garja had some good games on Ceylon. I think the main idea is to control the big island and water control. You can rush water to try and stop the other player from getting to the other island and starve them. Btw I like the 2 monitor card as well. You can water lame and just stack all warship cards in your deck with advanced dock and your monitors special attack will kill their cannons if they have them or use it on factories, town centers, and outposts near the coast. Then all your other ships just dominate everything else (euro and tad civs)
Got Badger Milk?
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

A couple of grens just get fisted by MM, try to control the main island by migrating onto it as soon as possible.
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

A galeon rush can also be rewarding. :pop: + :ship: = :hehe:

Build one and use it as your rax & stable while shipping additional units, rush your opponent's island -> if you know that they can kill your galeon, move your water flag and ship either two caravels to defend it or a second galleon. If not, simply ship resource crates to produce more soldiers. I did once an island hopping that killed three guys.

One was jolly building fishing boats when all of a sudden he saw 40+ military units under his TC and resigned, the other one was in the middle of moving to the mainland, couldn't defend himself properly and ragequitted, the third one knew what was coming to him and even walled up the shore and built caravels, but I just landed soldier after soldier, burned his wooden wall and slaughtered the vills with doppel-uhlan & friends while they clumsily tried to escape. The last one could have probably fought some more, but he was 1 vs 3 now, so gg.
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

These are the only Ceylon games I've ever seen...

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

New Zealand Withen
Crossbow
ESO: Withen

Post by Withen »

pecelot wrote:A couple of grens just get fisted by MM, try to control the main island by migrating onto it as soon as possible.

They shouldn't with improved grenades. We're talking about 100 siege in colonial. And they can always attack the MM too.

However, in this case, it was more like a dozen grenadiers with improved grenades and, at least, veteran upgrades (i.e. 120+ siege) so even if it had been a fort, it wouldn't have lasted very long.

But I agree that the main island seems the way to go.