British Build Order

Canada grizzgolf
Crossbow
ESO: grizzgolf

British Build Order

Post by grizzgolf »

What is a good strategy or build order playing as the British to defend against most nations? In a 1v1 standard online game.
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Re: British Build Order

Post by fei123456 »

3v-700w-adapt
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

Do mostly lb with a few pikes and walls to seal the front of your base. Get out of the base before your food runs out or you lose anyway...

United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Send VC first. Build houses as a wall protecting hunts/base. Mass lb and defend behind the houses. Push out with lb. Mix goon when possible. Win!

@Goodspeed
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

XeeleeFlower wrote:Send VC first. Build houses as a wall protecting hunts/base. Mass lb and defend behind the houses. Push out with lb. Mix goon when possible. Win!
Summed it up perfectly

Against a fast rush you'll probably want to build a rax before 700w arrives and wall off your base completely, and maybe even send 6 lb or 6 musk after.
No Flag OrangeRage
Musketeer

Post by OrangeRage »

Playing British now is taking on the Japan approach?
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

OrangeRage wrote:Playing British now is taking on the Japan approach?

Brits are quite a versatile civ and this is one of many ways to play them. It is simply gs's preferred way of playing. The card often doesn't see too much play in other top level players' games though it can be viable, in certain mus than others, imo.
No Flag OrangeRage
Musketeer

Post by OrangeRage »

deleted_user wrote:

Brits are quite a versatile civ and this is one of many ways to play them. It is simply gs's preferred way of playing. The card often doesn't see too much play in other top level players' games though it can be viable, in certain mus than others, imo.

Man it takes a lot of guts to go with the virginia company approach. British used to be a boom/defend civ in the early days but now it just seems better to start aggressive to claim your part of the resources on the map than hoping that your mass at 7 min will guarantee you that hunt or mine you need to keep playing.

There isn't enough evidence of the VC approach yet to convince people to take it seriously.
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

OrangeRage wrote:
deleted_user wrote:

Man it takes a lot of guts to go with the virginia company approach. British used to be a boom/defend civ in the early days but now it just seems better to start aggressive to claim your part of the resources on the map than hoping that your mass at 7 min will guarantee you that hunt or mine you need to keep playing.

There isn't enough evidence of the VC approach yet to convince people to take it seriously.

How is VC not the perfect equivalent to booming?
No Flag OrangeRage
Musketeer

Post by OrangeRage »

@yemshi During the window of time you VC boom you are therefore vulnerable for a certain period of time if your opponent picks up on your strategy quick enough. Doing that kind of boom can be to your detriment.

Instead of your opponent trying to kill you off they will just stop you from expanding to other resources around the map you need.
New Zealand Withen
Crossbow
ESO: Withen

Post by Withen »

Don't bother with ideal build orders. Stay at sergeant. Be competitive with the AI and no-one else. Lose more often than you win. Thus, your build order:

3vills, Virginia Company, 700w

At some point you will want to send extensive fortifications and improved grenades. You have no other crates.

The main reason this way of playing loses is if you don't succeed in slowing the game down. Which is, you know, most of the time. The other major problem is if you run out of food (which is why I have land grab and that colonial mill card). On the other hand, it seems to work fairly well versus Sioux because their units are (apparently) killed by outposts (at any upgrade level) faster than they destroy outposts.

I recently played two mirrors this way. In the first one I was defeated by a much larger mass, but, in truth, part of the problem there was that my villagers were too close to my TC and I somehow managed to advance my units into the mass instead of shooting at them. That's why that game didn't make 12 minutes. The other one was weird because I had map control (ish, I had buckets of TPs but I didn't really play like I had map control) and probably only won because of mistakes my opponent made (they were, iirc, a lance corporal but our ELOs aren't so different). But it was fun advancing outposts towards my enemy and it was fun, if a consequence of being unable to co-ordinate economy and attack (to be fair, I did lose most of my miners in a raid), sending a mass of pikes at the end while my three surviving grens took out manors (I'd recently attacked some of their vills and had taken out the TC).
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

Choose one build order and follow it until you master it. I'd personally not use VC at first because its highly situational so you'd be better off with just 3vill 700w 600w 6lb timing kinda thing. Then you do minor tweaks to adapt to certain situations. Then you can make a big shift like adding VC...

Also i think tp+manor into 3vills+VC is almost always better than normal market or 2mannors when you get the 300w start

United States of America __Uhlan__
Dragoon
ESO: __UhLaN__

Post by __Uhlan__ »

honestly 90% of brit games are 3 vill, 700w adapt, if your being rushed 6 lb or 6 musk or maybe 700g for a nice hus/musk timing.

basically do these few builds:

colonial timing: 700w 600w 700g (nice musk hus age two timing)

semi-ff 5 vill 700w 700c (age up) adapt

dbl rax musk rush: make 50 or 60 pop of manors depending on starting crates, gather 400w in trans age with 500f send 700g and make two foward rax and spams musk. after 700g do normal brit stuff 700w and 600w.

eco heavy colonial: 700w 600w 5 vill (musk attk/cav hp) or a unit shipment.

master all 4 for these builds and your doing pretty ok with brit in 90% of games. ofc there is variations in all of them and things that are better in different situations but this is always a nice start to learn. Brit is my main civ and these are the basis of all my builds. btw 3 vill is the first card in 90% of your games, i still do not think vc is worth it, especially at lower levels.
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

i think 5 vill first will make your semi ff very slow (10 minutes ageup?) unless you have a tp
United States of America Darwin_
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

3v-700w-600w-5v-card for musk start with huss on 700w

3v-5v-700w-600w/700c for stable start and either semi-ff or colonial timing
somppukunkku wrote:This is not a fucking discogame.
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

the problem of 5v first is not slow, but less flexibility, cause you only have 1 military building then.
the h2o brit vs lordraphael russia game proves this. h2o send 5v first, so he doesnt have a rax for a long time, which leads directly to gg.
i'd say 700w-700g is the fastest semiff. you can pass your unit production, or train 10 musk/5 hussar to defend/raid.
alternative play is 700w-600w-700g (eco semiff), or 700w-700g-600g (aggro semiff, with 1300g you can spam quite a lot of musk/hussar, while still age up fast).
this is similar to goodspeed's 600-600-600 japan build. and a tp should be good to brit semi too.
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

700w 700g is very nice yea. you age with 30 + vills and a shipment with 10 musk/5 hus at 9 minutes
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

I think brits are stronger when they back colonial pressure up by a strong boom. They dont really have to follow up semi-ff builds that quickly because longbows counter age 3. 700w 600w 5 vill musk upgrades/cav upgrades would be standard eco play. 700w 600w 700c is more timing oriented. You can start longbow pike or musk huss, kinda depends. Musk huss is usually for more aggressive builds, longbow pike is more defensive.
Dragoon

Post by __Uhlan__ »

tedere12 wrote:i think 5 vill first will make your semi ff very slow (10 minutes ageup?) unless you have a tp

when I play brit semi I always do a 5-10 hus semi with 500f age up to help get the hus out & a tp in transition. With 5 vills first, you don't do this build v Russia etc but the 5 vills is nice if you know you can get up safely.
Dragoon

Post by __Uhlan__ »

Couprider wrote:the problem of 5v first is not slow, but less flexibility, cause you only have 1 military building then.
the h2o brit vs lordraphael russia game proves this. h2o send 5v first, so he doesnt have a rax for a long time, which leads directly to gg.
i'd say 700w-700g is the fastest semiff. you can pass your unit production, or train 10 musk/5 hussar to defend/raid.
alternative play is 700w-600w-700g (eco semiff), or 700w-700g-600g (aggro semiff, with 1300g you can spam quite a lot of musk/hussar, while still age up fast).
this is similar to goodspeed's 600-600-600 japan build. and a tp should be good to brit semi too.

If you are in a mu we're doing a hus semi with brit is viable it's a rather slow mu anyway and you won't be needing a rax to defend colonial pressure. 5 vills first if you plan to stay age 2 is bad yea, but if you plan on aging and only making a stable in age 2 it's great.
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

__Uhlan__ wrote:honestly 90% of brit games are 3 vill, 700w adapt, if your being rushed 6 lb or 6 musk or maybe 700g for a nice hus/musk timing.

basically do these few builds:

colonial timing: 700w 600w 700g (nice musk hus age two timing)

semi-ff 5 vill 700w 700c (age up) adapt

dbl rax musk rush: make 50 or 60 pop of manors depending on starting crates, gather 400w in trans age with 500f send 700g and make two foward rax and spams musk. after 700g do normal brit stuff 700w and 600w.

eco heavy colonial: 700w 600w 5 vill (musk attk/cav hp) or a unit shipment.

master all 4 for these builds and your doing pretty ok with brit in 90% of games. ofc there is variations in all of them and things that are better in different situations but this is always a nice start to learn. Brit is my main civ and these are the basis of all my builds. btw 3 vill is the first card in 90% of your games, i still do not think vc is worth it, especially at lower levels.

Sounds good to me. This coming from the guy who always has best Brit in team games. :)
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Lol.. brits in team so funneee
No Flag OrangeRage
Musketeer

Post by OrangeRage »

I think using Virginia Company with British is basically another tactic of playing the civ which has a huge payout with a high risk. Virginia company is like the stock option of the civ lol
Canada grizzgolf
Crossbow
ESO: grizzgolf

Post by grizzgolf »

What about the British Musket Rush? I heard that would be perfect for me to learn since I am new at this. Whats the build order for something like that?
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

For the ultimate pressure try the almighty Aklak rush: age up with 500f, build approximately 4 manors in total before hitting the Colonial Age, gather 400 wood for 2 military buildings, send 700 coin, all your vills on food and spam batches, follow it up with 600 coin/700 food for more pressure or switch to 700 wood for housing, market, 3rd military building (if you started with both of the same type) etc.