Disproving Virginia Company @GoodSpeed

Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Re: Disproving Virginia Company @GoodSpeed

Post by Goodspeed »

Alas, logic and maths don't beat bias. It's funny how, after Mitoe mentioned that some people really want VC to be viable, I get the feeling many of you really don't want it to be. The only argument I've heard is based on the weak notion that boom builds are inherently unviable as Brit, and it only seems to be coming from people who clearly have not taken the time to properly test the build in real games. Anyway, I'll give it another year :P
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

I helped lordraphael test it in the ideal case: vs dutch

My chances went up significantly as he tried to do VC and went down tons when he stopped that.
Netherlands blackwidow
Dragoon
ESO: MASTERdutch

Post by blackwidow »

Jerom wrote:I helped lordraphael test it in the ideal case: vs dutch

My chances went up significantly as he tried to do VC and went down tons when he stopped that.

"tried to do VC"
Thats exactly the reason why your chances went up. Isn't it only logical that someone who played a ton of games with specific strats will do less good of a job trying something relatively new?
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

blackwidow wrote:

"tried to do VC"
Thats exactly the reason why your chances went up. Isn't it only logical that someone who played a ton of games with specific strats will do less good of a job trying something relatively new?

Isn't it logical that someone actually playing the game a ton will do better than someone who occasionally plays this game when high? I feel like your authority argument here is extremely poor.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

You're all lovely people :flowers:
Isn't it only logical that someone who played a ton of games with specific strats will do less good of a job trying something relatively new?
Isn't it logical that someone actually playing the game a ton will do better than someone who occasionally plays this game when high?
Answer to both questions is yes. The first one makes a good point, the second one is irrelevant.

Anyway Dutch is not at all an ideal VC match up. Against Dutch you can easily afford to boom to 20 manors even with 3v, and since the game will likely go long the 3v might even pay off. Should probably be able to break Dutch with a timing though if you went VC. Some kind of 1000w 1000g lb pike falc thing. Idk, seems like an easy match up either way.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Isn't the best case for VC when it's actually viable to make 20 manors? Remember VC and normally booming to 20 manors are very close to the same thing.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Jerom wrote:Isn't the best case for VC when it's actually viable to make 20 manors?
This is often the case if you send VC, because your boom is so much cheaper. VC makes it viable. If you don't send VC it is indeed rarely viable to go up to 20 before 6:00.

Against Dutch it's fine to boom to 20 either way and the extra 3 vills are more important in longer games. VC is a faster, more efficient boom, but not necessarily better long term. This is also why the card is worse in team games, in which 3 extra vills often win out against a 30 second faster build order.
Remember VC and normally booming to 20 manors are very close to the same thing.
Not quite. In many match ups, the difference in speed can be game deciding.
Netherlands blackwidow
Dragoon

Post by blackwidow »

Jerom wrote:
blackwidow wrote:

"tried to do VC"

Isn't it logical that someone actually playing the game a ton will do better than someone who occasionally plays this game when high? I feel like your authority argument here is extremely poor.

I'm not using an authority argument here, you were. I'm just saying that the games you played might not have been totally accurate.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

For argumentation classification, I used an example as argument. All I'm saying is that those tests made a strong case against using VC.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Play vs Diarouga, and I bet your experience will be different
Netherlands blackwidow
Dragoon

Post by blackwidow »

Jerom wrote:For argumentation classification, I used an example as argument. All I'm saying is that those tests made a strong case against using VC.

Fair enough, it was an example yea..