Ryu's Sepoy Rush (well it's not mine but w/e)

No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Ryu's Sepoy Rush (well it's not mine but w/e)

Post by kami_ryu »

Intro & Deck:

I will be writing a very basic write-up for the Indian Sepoy Rush. This is aimed towards newer players than myself and is not meant to be advanced. I would like to thank @Mitoe for basically telling me how this build works.

First off, here is the deck-list which I'm using. You'll notice that it's a bad deck, nonetheless it's still good enough for what we're doing with India: rushing with Sepoy.

There are, afaik, three ways to rush with Sepoy. The first way is the classic 10/10, which I don't personally like and won't cover in this guide. The third way is to consulate rush, which gives your already amazing Sepoy 10% more HP. I won't cover that here because I don't even know how to do it. But it's supposed to be really good.

This version is the classic Indian version, aging with 14+ villagers w/ Agra, getting out a batch of Sepoy and attacking.

Let's go over the basic build:

Discovery Age:
1st shipment: Distributivism (wood trickle)
- Regardless of crate start, build a house and send most villagers to wood right off the bat. Don't gather coin to save time.
- Begin shooting animals towards your TC, ideally you want them dead right underneath the TC so as to reduce villager walk time.
- Allocation of villagers is the tricky part about playing India, especially in Age 1. What I do is try to gather enough wood so that there's always 1 villager in queue. My rule of thumb: it takes 1 villager 25 seconds to train. It takes 7 villagers 25s to gather 100w. With wood trickle, it takes 5 villagers 25s to gather 100w. If you have 0-10w in stock after you queue up a new villager, then you can task either 5 or 7 villagers on wood to get 100w for the next one. Wood treasures help a lot here. If you get a good one, you can take some vills off wood and task them to food to age up sooner. Don't take my word for it, go out there and practice India's age 1 until you get the hang of it.
- Make sure you always have a villager in queue. This may be a rush, however it's not an all-in. There's a follow-up which we'll go over later.

Age with Agra
- You want to place the Agra Fort down at ~3:10. Remember that you need the villager to start the wonder to start aging.
- The other guy may try to block your Agra placement with Discovery units (explorers, dogs, scouts, natives, etc.). Be aware if he has units in Age 1 and send another villager separated from the initial villager to place down the Agra somewhere else if you get blocked at your initial location. Though not ideal, it's better to age on time with Agra in your back-up spot than age-up late with Agra where you initially wanted it. Try to place Agra close to your opponent, on top of resources or in chokes.
- The wonder takes 2 minutes to build.
- The first 4 villagers tasked to building the wonder take 10s off your age-up time. The next 4 villagers take 5s off your age-up time.
- Depending on how you feel, task 1 to 3 villagers on the wonder is my recommendation.
- After you start aging, put most villagers back on wood (~8), maintain villager production. Your goal is to build 2 houses to get to /40 pop. Your second house may be built after you've shipped Sepoy.
- Place 2 to 3 villagers on coin (depending on your starting coin), place the rest of the villagers on food. Your goal is to make a full batch of 5 Sepoy, which is 450f and 150c.
- Bring your elephants back to Agra and have them heal themselves up to full health. They'll be participating in the rush. If you want one monk healed first, select the monk you want healed and click left and right so that he's not idle. The other monk should automatically start healing the non-idle monk.

Colonial Age:
2nd Shipment: 5 Sepoy
- As soon as you're up, send 5 Sepoy and queue your first Sepoy. Seconds matter. Bring the 2 age-up Sepoy to the Agra.
- My rule of thumb is that as soon as you've sent a shipment, set your shipment point on the map. Develop the habit of automatically setting the shipment point when you send any shipment so they come where you want them to. In our case, as soon as you send the 5 Sepoy shipment, go to Agra and set the shipment point there. Remember that a villager will come with the shipment.
- As soon as you have all 12 Sepoy, make a bee-line to your opponents TC.

Attacking:
- The reason this build works at all is because Sepoy have so much HP. They die in 3 TC shots as opposed to 2 compared to most other Musk-type units. This means more idle time.
- When attacking, you're looking to accomplish the following things:
  • Kill villagers,
  • Force idle time,
  • Destroy exposed buildings (houses which are not protected),
  • Force minute-men or unit shipments, without losing Sepoy yourself,
- You aren't looking to siege the TC or to win the game out-right with this initial rush. You're looking to throw a wrench in the other guy's plans by forcing him to do things he doesn't want to. Don't lose your Sepoy, unless you get an amazing villager trade for it. Otherwise, don't lose too many units. Make sure that your Sepoy are always in a position to leave the enemy base as soon as you see minute-men. Also be wary of unit shipments. Even if you can take on 6 Musks, 5 Ashigaru, etc. you won't be able to fight that unit shipment with Minutes thrown into the mix. Be happy you're throwing his build off, but don't feel forced to pick off those units. If you've picked off a villager or 2, that's great.

Behind the scenes during attack:
- This isn't an all-in, so while you're attacking, you need to be working on your follow-up. Build a market and start working on market upgrades as you're sending off your 12 Sepoy. Continue villager production and housing. You can also squeeze in some extra Sepoy here and there to keep up the pressure, but I feel like market upgrades are more important.
- A basic way of assuring follow-up is by sending 600 wood and then 300 Export. Get the Ottoman consulate and the 4 villagers, then switch to Brits asap. Also throw down a Caravanserei or a second Barracks to be able to pump out units. Foreign Logging is also a good shipment if I'm not mistaken. Adjust your unit composition according to what you see. Gurhka are very good units, Sowar and Zambs are also nice once you've sent the upgrade cards, which are Desert Terror and Camel Attack. You always want the upgrade cards on the camels if you're going to be using them. Generally though, Sepoy are such a strong unit that they dominate the Colonial scene. Making Sepoy the core unit of your composition should generally be beneficial, as they trade well against pretty much every unit except for strong ranged infantry (Yumi, Skirms, etc.). Throw in some Sowar if you feel the need.
- I have heard good things about Dravidian Martial Arts as well.
- Your Agra gives you map control. Be aggressive and harass your opponent, but your goal is starve him out and win with India's late colonial strength. Don't over-commit into his base, it's a great way to lose a game you're winning. Get a strong mass of units, or hop to Fortress where you have many other excellent units to work with.

Dealing with FFs/semi-FFs and then Falconets:
- Generally your rush will not be able to prevent some civs, for instance France, from aging to Fortress and getting out Falconets. These are very strong units against India in colonial age. If the French player is good then they give him a realistic shot at taking the game from you. I'm not sure that India is fast-enough to age themselves and then get out Siege Elephants, so my strategy (up for discussion, absolutely) is to stay in Colonial and get out a strong mass of Sowar. The only good answer France has to a large mass of Sowar is an equally good mass of Dragoons. Sepoy and Gurhka both trade efficiently against Dragoons, so what we're looking for is a Sepoy/Gurhka/Sowar composition. When Falconets come out, the idea is to swamp his entire army with strong Indian units. Flanking the Falcs is what we're looking for. Sepoy and Gurhka should be staggered so that Falconets trade less efficiently. France generally like to follow-up with Skirmishers and Cuirassiers, however try to get a larger mass of Gurhka on the field and Zambs deal with Cuirs surprisingly well. At this stage I think Sepoy fall off, though to their credit they also deal with Cuirs quite nicely. They're terrible against Skirms.
- As far as Spain is concerned, I'm not so sure. They're faster than France so it's difficult to get out a large mass of units in time. They also have access to Lancers and a gazillion pikes. However Sepoy should be able to do a lot of damage on their way up. I believe Otto FFs should play out similarly to Spain's, though apparently Otto are supposed to rush you. Scout accordingly.

Other FFs/Semi-FFs:
- Against Germany, I believe that lots of Sepoy may work out during transition (both to defend vs raids and harass the German player). Getting out some Zambs and Sowar to deal with Uhlans and Skirms seems good to me on paper, but unfortunately I just haven't played enough German players doing semis to talk from my own experience.
- For China, if you're looking for ideas then read this thread: viewtopic.php?f=228&t=9754
- Some may argue that India should have done their own semi-FF in some match-ups, however this guide pertains to the Sepoy rush so this is the scenario we're dealing with. This game is quite deep so you shouldn't be able to realistically expect to win everything using just this one build. India has other options which may be better in other situations or match-ups.

Boom civs:
- Regarding civilizations like Japan and Brits, which are slow, I believe this is where this build really shines. You can pressure them more easily, you can contain them well and your Sepoy will prevent them from booming comfortably. Pretty nice.

Match-ups where you're rushing defensively:
- Afaik, when playing against Iroquois, Aztec or Russians, you're the one being defensive. Otto may also be aggressive, so scout if he has a FB or something (checking their deck may also help). Agra in base with some walling here and there, some defensive Gurhka/Sepoy and you should be all right. Basically I'm just telling you not to build forward, in these match-ups you're the one playing defensively.

Replays & VODs:
To top things off, here are a bunch of replays (all RE) of games with the Sepoy Rush.

[RE SP] kami_ryu[IN] vs KickAss[FR] - New England.age3yrec
(544.05 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
New England
New England
Rules: Supremacy (1v1)
Version: Official Patch (Legacy)
Length: 18 minutes
[RE SP] Greatscythe11[GE] vs kami_ryu[IN] - Great Plains.age3yrec
(401.96 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
Great Plains
Great Plains
Length: 8 minutes
[RE SP] Z0roaster[IR] vs kami_ryu[IN] - Borneo.age3yrec
(485.71 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
Borneo
Borneo
Length: 15 minutes
[RE SP] kami_ryu[IN] vs wookl[CH] - Siberia.age3yrec
(478.7 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
Siberia
Siberia
Length: 23 minutes
[RE SP] Mitoe[IN] vs kami_ryu[IN] - ESOC Hudson Bay.age3yrec
(870.46 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
ESOC Hudson Bay
ESOC Hudson Bay
Length: 13 minutes
[RE SP] kami_ryu[IN] vs __UhLaN__[SP] - Patagonia.age3yrec
(488.83 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
Patagonia
Patagonia
Length: 20 minutes
[RE SP] FASTFORTRESS123[JP] vs kami_ryu[IN] - Great Plains.age3yrec
(432.14 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
Great Plains
Great Plains
Length: 16 minutes

https://youtu.be/iRhAjk3xMXM?t=34m47s
https://youtu.be/XkIjkUO_HKo?t=28m23s
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Re: Ryu's Sepoy Rush (well it's not mine but w/e)

Post by gibson »

Nicesh! One thing is you really need 700f imo
United States of America Darwin_
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

gibson wrote:Nicesh! One thing is you really need 700f imo

Idk about this. I play india a lot and used to have 700f in my deck, but I never ran into a situation where I needed it. Maybe if I played more on RE I would, but even there I would much rather just ship 600c or an upgrade card.
somppukunkku wrote:This is not a fucking discogame.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

700f is good doesnt matter what map. First off it's good cause india doesn't have a 700g shipment. Its also good cause there isn't a single age 2 indian unit which costs more gold than food. Sepoy are very food heavy and gurka are relatively food heavy.
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Post by yurashic »

Consider sending 600 gold to use it for the tiger claw shipment.
Germany supernapoleon
Lancer
ESO: Supernapoleon

Post by supernapoleon »

Why sawing mill instead of exotic hartwood?
"I'M SOOOOOO GOOD AT THE GAME"
Hazza wrote: "I mad u win cos u get carried all game and have to lame every game"
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

My comments:
11/10 is available with 4 wood start, and cows/treasures makes it better. It also works well on poor Re maps.
Keep 6-7v on wood, stop chopping after 14/15v, and start to move your vills out when you have 600f.
Scout the place where you'd like to place wonder. Trees/herds/treasure guardians may delay your aging up.
I usually place 3-4v on wonder. As it's a rush, a 5:00+ age up seems to be too slow.

Sepoy rush is good against civs that dont have enough anti-musk early on. Usually I will send 4 sowar after that, as he should have sent some shipments like 8xbow/5yumi etc. Sowar can also kill minutemen, or catch vills outside. After that it will be 600w(stable, consulate, market and upgrades), 300e(brit ally, as 4v is too late now, and you'll have 800e soon after this), 10 tiger claw. You will have many sowar/sepoy/gurkha, 12 redcoats, 10 tiger claw, with 10% hp buff, which is the most scary timing that can kill most age 2 play/slow age 3.

Alternative play:
Vs ffs: if you think you cant stop his aging up (Let's say, spain ff), a brit consulate rush may be better. Another bo is 600w-600g-2 cannon elephant (To kill his falconets), which works well vs ottoman ff (Or revolt). Train veteran sepoy only.
Vs early age 2: if you're facing japan 300w/china colonial play, and you're not doing 11/10, don't send 5 sepoy. Instead you should go 600w 300e, train gurkha directly (Mind your anticav too), and try to kite his units. By this you can hold their pressure too, and have a better eco, while you can still realize if he's trying to age up (You can easily know he doesnt have enough units, by keeping attach).
Vs good semiff: for example french. As it's hard to stop a french semiff, I would build a tp during transition, send trickle-600g, age up too. Train a batch of sepoy against hussar raiding. I'd like to build chaminata gate. Send 600w after 600g for 2nd rax, consulate. After age 3, train discipline sepoy only, mansabdar sepoy, and send 3+2 mahout, 9 sepoy, 9 redcoat etc.
The theory is, sepoy is the best sepoy in age 2, and mass upgraded sepoy with brit ally and mansabdar is still insane! With this build you only need to upgrade one unit (You'll have to upgrade 2-3 units if you go zam/gurkha, and gurkha is still not better than skirms), and mahouts can wipe out his skirms like falling leaves. If he tries to kite you with goon/skirm, just siege his tc/stop his gathering, and he will find it impossible to kill 40+ fully upgraded monsters with a few units kiting.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

tiger whats?
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

Tiger Claws.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Great, you certainly deserved a spot on our great great wall!
#pray4troomp
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

this guy is my hero 10/10 post :love:
Canada forgrin
Howdah
ESO: Forgrin

Post by forgrin »

Nice guide! Love the formatting.

Something I'd add is that, in my experience, it's often better to go 5 sepoy - 4 sowar - 600w - 600g against Japan. It's possible to beat them in colonial but it's pretty difficult, and if they do manage to sneak up/extend the game very late, they have the advantage. Doing a really hard rush, if executed well, is quite efficient.

General guideline is hard rush 5 sep/4 sowar, back off a little with 600w (keep shrines down), then mass sowar off 600g and go in for the kill. Japan has to make yumi here and sowar eat them alive, which is why this build works; they can't afford to send ashi Atk to make ashi cost effective.

This does lose to full preemptive walling however, and you have to make sure to split a couple sowar to keep killing the monks.

Credit goes to Garja for the above build.
https://www.twitch.tv/forgin14

"WTF WHERE ARE MY 10 FALCS" - AraGun_OP
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor

Post by Ashvin »

a bit off-topic: I feel envy that this RecRenamer works for you. It doesn't for me :(
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor

Post by Ashvin »

forgrin wrote:Nice guide! Love the formatting.

Something I'd add is that, in my experience, it's often better to go 5 sepoy - 4 sowar - 600w - 600g against Japan. It's possible to beat them in colonial but it's pretty difficult, and if they do manage to sneak up/extend the game very late, they have the advantage. Doing a really hard rush, if executed well, is quite efficient.

General guideline is hard rush 5 sep/4 sowar, back off a little with 600w (keep shrines down), then mass sowar off 600g and go in for the kill. Japan has to make yumi here and sowar eat them alive, which is why this build works; they can't afford to send ashi Atk to make ashi cost effective.

This does lose to full preemptive walling however, and you have to make sure to split a couple sowar to keep killing the monks.

Don't you think skipping 4 sowars for 600w and getting a stable faster to train a batch of sowars and cons for gardeners is viable if the Jap player plans on Yumi?
United States of America noissance
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: noissance

Post by noissance »

sawmills isnt as good as the other wood boost cards either
Error 404: Signature not found
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

gibson wrote:700f is good doesnt matter what map. First off it's good cause india doesn't have a 700g shipment. Its also good cause there isn't a single age 2 indian unit which costs more gold than food. Sepoy are very food heavy and gurka are relatively food heavy.

While your not exactly wrong, 600c is still worth a lot more than 700f.

Assuming you have all market upgrades, 700f is 648 villager seconds, while 600c is 769 villager seconds. And you're a lot less likely to have all coin upgrades than food upgrades, in which case the 600c would be even better.

Plus since Indian vills don't cost food, it's pretty easy to have access to safe hunt for a long period of time. I can't really think of a situation where I would have ever needed to send 700f. It's better to have upgrades in your deck.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Ashvin wrote:a bit off-topic: I feel envy that this RecRenamer works for you. It doesn't for me :(

it can be a bit confusing at first, though it should work nicely — what's wrong then? :hmm:
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

I-I warned you guys that the deck was bad!:
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

It's honestly a fine deck, except that you have 24/25 cards.
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

i like this strat it's very advanced and it has lot of right clicking and z move into it
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

yea deck is fine, you just need to add the team 2 flail elephant card in it, its viable on x1 as well, it just isnt op like it is in team!
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

Nice ! Good job.
:nwc:
Canada forgrin
Howdah
ESO: Forgrin

Post by forgrin »

Ashvin wrote:
forgrin wrote:Nice guide! Love the formatting.

Don't you think skipping 4 sowars for 600w and getting a stable faster to train a batch of sowars and cons for gardeners is viable if the Jap player plans on Yumi?

No, not at all actually. India doesn't have the eco (remember, no market in trans with this build) to train from both Agra and stable immediately after 2nd colonial shipment, so the structures are kinda wasted at that point. This means you're going to give Japan time to send 600w/4v second shipment. By going 4 sowar second, you can force them to send more yumi or ashi cards, which are reeeally bad for Japan. If you slow down pressure too much early, you allow them to mass up, wall up/repair walls, and start booming again, which you don't want.

Additionally, 4 sowar will arrive usually just after the first fight, meaning you have more units to snare with now that eliphants are dead. This is super crucial against walling, because otherwise you just get kited to death.
https://www.twitch.tv/forgin14

"WTF WHERE ARE MY 10 FALCS" - AraGun_OP
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Darwin_ wrote:

Idk about this. I play india a lot and used to have 700f in my deck, but I never ran into a situation where I needed it. Maybe if I played more on RE I would, but even there I would much rather just ship 600c or an upgrade card.

I actually had the opposite experience. (Got rid of some scum lategame card for 700f)
United States of America Darwin_
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

Jerom wrote:
Darwin_ wrote:

I actually had the opposite experience. (Got rid of some scum lategame card for 700f)

Interesting. When would you normally send it?
somppukunkku wrote:This is not a fucking discogame.