Japan FI by Bart331

Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Japan FI by Bart331

Post by momuuu »

Back in the good old days Japan FI was a very popular strategy, mostly used by asian players (who as we all know are amazing at exploiting lame strategies). Bart331 made a great write up about it on ageheaven that I want to transport over to ESOC. On EP the age 4 XP bonus from the shogunate has been nerfed from 1600 XP to 600 XP (like it was supposed to be) so this strat is primarily for RE. I'll polish up the write up bart made in some points, for the original write up click here.

Introduction
Lately i have been watching some replays from a japanese site and i found a very interesting japanese FI. This strat is quite popular in the asian community and some even made it to brigadier with it. First of all, why would anyone fi with japan:

• consulate units auto upgrade (besteiros / those clubs)
  • japan lategame is maybe strongest of all civs
  • port consulate makes aging / buildings cheaper which helps alot
  • japan has awesome age4 shipments, and they can even send them twice
  • japanese wonders are awesome, in age4 you get the big shrine which boosts your shrines, the golden pavillion who boosts atk of all units and the daimyo palace where u can retrain daimyo's and makes units cheaper / train faster. Huge bonusses.

The deck

Most critical cards are in this deck. Since it is a strat used by different players most have some slight variations in their deck. Notice there are no villie cards in the deck, we are going for 3 tc boom + shrines to get eco.
Editor note: The original deck by bart was lost, this is the deck I use nowadays, it contains enough card to transition into a standard game if the FI plan is failing. Bart's deck had a few different cards, most notably no 14 ashi/8 nagi if I recall correctly.

The build order
Age1
Japan is quite hard in the beginning since you need to task 6 vills on different crates or berries, control 2 explorers and depending if the map has berries control 2 orchard wagons. Always go scout with at least 1 orchard wagon. But dont go too far from tc, you dont want it getting killed, just scout some area behind tc or something.

Age1, u either start with 200 w or 300 w in both cases u want to get a discovery consulate to ally with the portuguese. With a 300w start you can chop 6 wood and start building the consulate immediately, ally with ports and make ur first shrine for 106 wood. With a 200 wood start you need to put more ppl on wood and you just make the first shrine for 125 wood and then chop the rest. Always be looking for wood treasures or other treasures, you can use the xp, it doesnt matter if you age a bit later.
Since this is a turtle strat first card is sumptuary laws. This trickle will help you a lot.
As soon as you have collected 680 food, go build the big shrine with 1 vill, try to keep constant villie production from tc so keep 6 vills on food, put the rest + the shrines on wood.
Make a market first and research first wood/food upgrades. Try to place building defensively creating a building wall.
By now you should be able to send your 2nd shipment, send heavenly kami, and wait for it to arrive before you start spamming shrines. Try to build shrines in defensive locations since you aren't able to defend them.

Age2
In age2 you got a shipment ready from the xp from the shrine spam, if you play vs an aggressive civ or rush send Enlist Irregulars, if you play vs a boom send 600 gold. depending on how aggressive the opponent is you can spam shrines till about 80-150 pop space. If you are done spamming shrines move vills from wood to food (dont forget 2nd food upg at market) and put the shrines on gold. Watch the amount of export you have, if you reach 400 you will be able to send the 7 besteiros which are your main defence for a while.
Soon you will have 1020 food and 1000 gold, (try to play around a bit so you get those numbers simultaneously) then its time to task 8 vills on the golden pavilion wonder to age asap. For defence you got the besteiros, mm from tc, tc fire

Age3
Now you get 6 yumi from ageup to add to your defences. Send 1000 wood and keep vills on food maybe some on gold and try to get 1700 food / 1200 gold to age to age4.
Collect the 1000 wood if it arrives asap and make 2 tc's (510w) from it in defensive locations ( use vills or explorers), next shipment in age3 can either be 1000 wood again or if you dont feel safe Intervention for more besteiros.
If possible you can now start training vills from 3 tc's

Age4
You get a lot of experience from reaching age4, so you probably got 2 shipments ready, send the age4 shogun followed by 4 flaming arrows twice. If possible try to do the tempo reforms upgrade (500f, 500 w, 500g) on the shrines, do the wood upgrades on the market. Your orchards run out by now so you have to transfer to mills, maybe you need to put the shrines on food for a while, if possible keep making vills from 3 tc's, make a barracks to do the yumi upgrades and keep your army in a defensive location (between 3 cm tc's your pretty safe)
Now the fun part start, make ur daimyo/shougn shipment delivery point and put them on stand ground mode, and keep them behind your army at all time. Ally with japanese on the consulate and research bushidos, and get some clubs. Now you can start training units from the daimyo/shogun, go for yumi/clubs/ flaming arrow combo and keep training units in the middle of a battle. Try to make nice batches of 10

Cards you might wanna send now:
Way of the bow (20 range yumi ^^)
Yumi atk (^^)
Bakufu (faster training from daimyo)
2 castle card (if you need to turtle harder , they auto upgrade)
Mortar range (these things blast away all)
16 yumi (nothing more funny then receiving 16 yumi in the middle of a battle at your daimyo)

The idea is to keep defensive between the 3 tc's untill you get a very strong army and then move out. With 75 vills, 200 pop space shrines you will have a very strong eco while with the daimyo/shogun army you will rip through anything. Hardest point is getting there. Yumi/clubs costs mainly food/wood while spamming flaming arrows costs little bit of wood and gold.

Defending tips
Always try to fight under tc fire, and time the MM with units you get, try to keep 10 vills in tc and put more in if he might target them. Try to trap him with mm, remember the left one is anticav, the right one is anti inf. Use extra unit shipments if needed, rebuild tc's if needed

Control groups
for this strat its important to control your units in control groups, my setup:

1: ranged infantry (yumi, besteiros)
2: heavy infantry (clubs maybe ashi from shipment or mm)
3: cav (i dont have cav though)
4: flaming arrows
5: daimyo/shogun ( keep these guys alive!)
6: 3 TC's (i do select 6 and click vill to start training 3 vills a time)

Replays:

https://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/s ... ileid=3034

vs otto ff
vs india 10/10 into semi ff
vs a brit constant pressure + boom
vs a port xbow/pike into fi
vs aztec(1) rush
vs aztec(2) pressure into fp boom and later seaboom
vs china(1) ff
vs china(2) 300 food rush

Hf laming !
Austria KINGofOsmane
Pro Player
ESO: KINGofOsmane

Re: Japan FI by Bart331

Post by KINGofOsmane »

you mean Buakaw/knee bo
i also think its not rly good anymore
"Losing to Callen was the worst night of my life" Gibthedurrty 2019
"If hazza can get pr42 with team i can get pr50 with 1v1" Gibthedurrty 2018
Lecastete wrote: Dude i hate this game. I am bad and i also dont have luck
Tete cs:go experience
Great Britain oats13
Lancer

Post by oats13 »

Any of the dutch guys have a contact for bart? would be great to catch up with him again- the strat is fun aswell :smile:
We hold these truths to be self-evident. All men and women created by the you know, you know the thing.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

first card kami, bad build
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

gibson wrote:first card kami, bad build

read build.

KINGofOsmane wrote:you mean Buakaw/knee bo
i also think its not rly good anymore

I mean Bart did the write up, which I literally copied so I dont see why I'd not say this is by bart.

It's a fine build order, still gets you up to major ezpz. Beyond that, probably not viable, it's never really been viable but its fun and easy to use.

oats13 wrote:Any of the dutch guys have a contact for bart? would be great to catch up with him again- the strat is fun aswell :smile:

I still occasionally speak bart, he's mostly busy with work I think.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Jerom wrote:
gibson wrote:first card kami, bad build

read build.
Why would I do that when I could just make an assumption and than flame you based off of that assumption?
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

Good post, thanks.

Im not sure how good this is against heavy preassure (that is just the standard for all civs vs jap?)... But other then that, looks nice.
Great Britain oats13
Lancer

Post by oats13 »

Jerom wrote:I still occasionally speak bart, he's mostly busy with work I think.

Say hi, pest him to come back or pm me a contact :flowers:
We hold these truths to be self-evident. All men and women created by the you know, you know the thing.
Great Britain britishmusketeer
Howdah

Post by britishmusketeer »

I would recommend skipping the trickle tbh(and send 600g in age 2)
Austria KINGofOsmane
Pro Player

Post by KINGofOsmane »

yea its defenetly fun to use @momuuu
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Added! :flowers:
No Flag bart331
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by bart331 »

Cool build, ye was done by knee buakaw. But thought i write it up back in the day.

How is everyone? Aoe3 still active?
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

bart331 wrote:Cool build, ye was done by knee buakaw. But thought i write it up back in the day.

How is everyone? Aoe3 still active?

We really miss you, Bart! Would be great to see you back ;)

Other than that, AoE is AoE, nothing really changed ;) Currently we're busy with a 2v2 Invitational and we're making up for the upcoming Spring Tournament.
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

britishmusketeer wrote:I would recommend skipping the trickle tbh(and send 600g in age 2)

Not an uncommon thing to do for me, for as far as there is a meta switch people do not play as aggressively so the trickle is not as valuable.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

How much res does that card give? I didn't even know it existed lol
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

basically nothing.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

yemshi wrote:basically nothing.
is it the one that's like .15 of each res?
India gh0st
Lancer
ESO: gh0st007

Post by gh0st »

gibson wrote:
yemshi wrote:basically nothing.
is it the one that's like .15 of each res?

i think its .3 of each res, except for xp and export which is .15
Howdah

Jerom wrote:
britishmusketeer wrote:I would recommend skipping the trickle tbh(and send 600g in age 2)

Not an uncommon thing to do for me, for as far as there is a meta switch people do not play as aggressively so the trickle is not as valuable.

Even against a rush 600g is better since you age to fortress much faster(so faster 6 yumi + 3tc). The trickle will have given you <200 res by the time 600g arrives
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

britishmusketeer wrote:
Jerom wrote:

Even against a rush 600g is better since you age to fortress much faster(so faster 6 yumi + 3tc). The trickle will have given you <200 res by the time 600g arrives

But you do trickle HK 600g according to the build.

Anyways I just decided to copy paste bart's write up because this strat is fun, surprisingly potent and really easy to execute well while hard to beat.
Howdah

Jerom wrote:
britishmusketeer wrote:
Show hidden quotes

But you do trickle HK 600g according to the build.

It says that you do 600g vs boom civs and cm vs rush civs. Vs a boom civ sending the trickle is silly for obvious reasons and if they are a rush civ then 600g is better than the trickle. Also sending cm is kindof the whole point of the build since that is how you get age 4 while making vills from 3tc without dying. Not sure which civ you can fi against that will not attack you for 10 mins.
Austria KINGofOsmane
Pro Player

Post by KINGofOsmane »

you normally always mm card