700 food card as Russia

No Flag ronsu
Crossbow

700 food card as Russia

Post by ronsu »

I had been sending Spice Trade for a while. The reason is that russian economy is not good at early colonial and I thought this was a good solution for a high-food consuming civ as the ruskies. But i'm starting to think if "700 food" would be more useful as a colonial shipment.

PROS:
- Faster profit.
- Consume less proxy hunts = less exposed to raids.

CONS:
- No immediate impact.
- No upgrade that last long in game.
- Require vill time to gather the crates.

Usually you don't want to send any food crates but... man, russia use so many food with the batch vills and heavy food-cost infantry that may worth it. What do you think? Is 700f an interesting option for Russia?
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Re: 700 food card as Russia

Post by pecelot »

Gathering from hunts far out on the map shouldn't be a problem for the Russians because of blockhouses, I think. What do you mean 700f has no immediate impact? :? I guess for massing units it would be better to send 700 wood or coin or even 600 wood or coin and just switch most of your vills to food.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

I have it in deck, imo its a "ok" card with russia, just not very early. maybe as a 5th card in a long colonial fight is good, just to get a couple final batches and timming push with it after unit shipments are gone. (When you have 2blocauses + possibly a stable, 700f acts pretty much as as militar shipment for russia). But overall, i would avoid using it.
No Flag ronsu
Crossbow

Post by ronsu »

pecelot wrote:Gathering from hunts far out on the map shouldn't be a problem for the Russians because of blockhouses, I think. What do you mean 700f has no immediate impact? :? I guess for massing units it would be better to send 700 wood or coin or even 600 wood or coin and just switch most of your vills to food.

700f has immediate impacte, Spice trade not.

I've found out that BH are perfect to protect vills when gathering gold from mines but hunts run away while shooting at them. I know you can micro vills to minimize this, but when you're in a battle it's difficult to keep all this together and usually the hunters are gathering a bit far from the BH soon.
No Flag ronsu
Crossbow

Post by ronsu »

lemmings121 wrote:I have it in deck, imo its a "ok" card with russia, just not very early. maybe as a 5th card in a long colonial fight is good, just to get a couple final batches and timming push with it after unit shipments are gone. (When you have 2blocauses + possibly a stable, 700f acts pretty much as as militar shipment for russia). But overall, i would avoid using it.

Some russian players use to send Spice Trade as their first colonial shipment. In this comparative, i'm guessing that 700food should be sent instead Spice Trade. Because at the start of colonial is when you need more food to produce military and vills having few vills gathering food to acomplish it by themselfs.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

@ronsu , I'll try to upload the Russian guide by GS from 2014, so perhaps you may want to familiarise yourself with it :hehe:
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

700f first is good against rush civs, such as iro/india.
With 700f first you can train vills and musk/strelet at the same time, thus you can hold rush while still have decent eco.
Ofc you can send 5 cossack first, but you may not need them too early (vs musk rush). Jui used to go 700f-5cossack or 700f-700w against aggro play, and it seems quite available.

If you're the one who attacks, 700f becomes less important. You either send 5 cossack first for early pressure, or 700w first for better eco (you can afford to have less units early, and keep vill training). However, 700f is still a good card in late colonial, as russia really needs a lot of food :hmm:

And with spice trade.... It should be good on berry maps (20% to beery, 15% to hunt).
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

I'd have 700 food is for sure better than spice trade.....
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

700 f > spice trade in most scenarios
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
India gh0st
Lancer
ESO: gh0st007

Post by gh0st »

spice trade kinda sucks (maybe good on berry maps) coz you'd rather be aggressive with Russia, so 5coss/700w/700g etc are much more decent shipments early on and if you send spice trade afterwards it wouldn't even payoff maybe.
700f is better than ok I think, atleast for Russia, helps massing up quite fast.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

700f is so good for mass
United States of America __Uhlan__
Dragoon
ESO: __UhLaN__

Post by __Uhlan__ »

it's a pretty good 5th or 4th card.

5 cos 700w 700f could work but at that point 700c and all vills on food is prolly better. But it has its niche uses yea.
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Post by yurashic »

You should always have it in your deck.
Spain yoqpasa
Lancer
ESO: yoqpasa

Post by yoqpasa »

700f is a staple card for Russia, Ports, Brits and Dutch. You always want it on your decks. And yes, 700f>ST overall I would say 3/4 times.

United States of America Darwin_
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

700f is almost a must-have for RE russia, and still very useful for EP russia. It is good for them because they need a lot of food in bank before they queue units, and also just consume a lot of food in general. I think spice trade is a pretty good card for them, especially on berry-heavy maps, as blockhouses are quite good at securing areas of the map. However, for more aggressive styles, 700f is most likely a better card.
somppukunkku wrote:This is not a fucking discogame.
No Flag OrangeRage
Musketeer

Post by OrangeRage »

I think spice trade is one of the most underrated cards of all time for all civs. 700 food seems to be a good defensive card from what I've seen Darwin_Giovanny use it as.
No Flag ronsu
Crossbow

Post by ronsu »

Wow, very helpful comments, guys. Thank you all for this statements!

Seems clear now that 700F > SPICE TRADE, unless you're trying a long term plan that is not the best idea for Russia.

I'm gonna try some games with an agressive strategy sending 700f as a first colonial card, when I used to send Spice Trade. I'll share how it goes here if you're interested :)
Singapore milku3459
Howdah
ESO: milku3459

Post by milku3459 »

Ronsu send me recs of Russian players starting Spice Trade :hehe: rather than 5 coss or 13 strel
No Flag ronsu
Crossbow

Post by ronsu »

milku3459 wrote:Ronsu send me recs of Russian players starting Spice Trade :hehe: rather than 5 coss or 13 strel

As GoodSpeed wrote in his guide, going all-in rush with russia is not a very good idea at decent levels. So a lot of players are sending eco cards (upgrade gathering or resources crates) as a first colonial shipment.
Netherlands EscalonOne
Crossbow
ESO: Escalon

Post by EscalonOne »

ronsu wrote:Wow, very helpful comments, guys. Thank you all for this statements!

Seems clear now that 700F > SPICE TRADE, unless you're trying a long term plan that is not the best idea for Russia.

I'm gonna try some games with an agressive strategy sending 700f as a first colonial card, when I used to send Spice Trade. I'll share how it goes here if you're interested :)

700f can be useful but would never recommend it as first age2 card. Either 5 coss > aggressive / spice trade > boom + timing / 700w > tp or eco or containment blockhouses
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

For 700food to pay off you need to set your infrastructure first. After 700 wood it is decent I guess, if your goal is to spam strelets, or after a big fight where you have lost a big amount of your army and want to remass quickly
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

milku3459 wrote:Ronsu send me recs of Russian players starting Spice Trade :hehe: rather than 5 coss or 13 strel

watch umeu's old nilla recs I think he was big fan
No Flag ronsu
Crossbow

Post by ronsu »

EscalonOne wrote:
ronsu wrote:Wow, very helpful comments, guys. Thank you all for this statements!

700f can be useful but would never recommend it as first age2 card. Either 5 coss > aggressive / spice trade > boom + timing / 700w > tp or eco or containment blockhouses

I have done some tests. And you @EscalonOne and @tedere12 are right. 700f is optimal when used late colonial, after you have battled with the first army.

So, now my study in centered in: ¿what is better as late colonial card, 700f or Spice Trade?

700f give you an inmediate boost but, at this point of the game, you have a lot of vills gathering food so "Spice trade" could boost your income too very fast. What do you think?

What bothers me more about 700f is that you need to pick it up with vills that have to stop gathering from hunts half a minute or so.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

You will need resources not economic boost card for 1v1, it's not 2v2 3v3, maybe in 2v2 3v3 better you would send spice trade but in 1v1 700 food looks like better option
No Flag LordCharlie_131
Skirmisher
ESO: LordCharlie131

Post by LordCharlie_131 »

in 1v1 early colonial spice trade needs too long to pay off and

late colonial it would be stupid to send spice trade few minutes befor hunts run out anyway. After military shipments and ressource cards just send boyars, this age one teamcard 10% to cav and light infantry, ecotheory, fencing school or advanced arsenal.