What era for AOE IV?

This is for discussions about the community, players, forum games, grudge matches, memes and everything else related to ESOC and its members.

What era for AOE IV?

Poll ended at 29 Apr 2018, 06:15

Victorian era/New imperialism era (19th and early 20th centuries)
62%
World War 1
16%
World War 2
1%
Both World Wars
21%

Total votes: 73

No Flag Djigit
Howdah

What era for AOE IV?

Post by Djigit »

If it's the new imperialism era, the predominant regions - apart from Europe - might be Africa and Asia.
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Re: What era for AOE IV?

Post by P i k i l i c »

Well AoE3 window is already until 1870 right ? And if AoE4 is still supposed to be a true Age game, they have to place probably 4 ages in the time period... this leads to a pretty large time period.
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

The signs show 1890-1950: trailer, history of AoE, remasterings and the company's previous titles. Hopefully, the good stuff from all ages is in the game.
PS. pls keep shipments and no gathering points
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Post by aligator92 »

For the love of god please do not get into the 20th century
India drsingh
Dragoon
ESO: drsingh

Post by drsingh »

None of the above.

The trailer is ambiguous. But I am hoping it means Aoe1 to aoe3 era.
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

BrookG wrote:The signs show 1890-1950: trailer, history of AoE, remasterings and the company's previous titles. Hopefully, the good stuff from all ages is in the game.
PS. pls keep shipments and no gathering points
Agreed on shipments, but what you mean by gathering points?
Not to be able to send a shipment to an outpost?
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

@Djigit in games before aoe3 you needed to return your gathered resources to a specific point. idk how it's called
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

He means res drop off points like lumberjack or mining camps.
I dont think anyone would like to have an aoe 4 to Play in the 20th century. Im curious if This is limited to This Community or to potential aoe buyers in General.
If aoe 4 was set to be in that timeframe id even reconsider buying it. Ive always liked aoe More than sc2 or CC because ofthe setting it played in. It would be a shame if they made a modern aoe. I also dont see any reason to so . I mean the devs of sc or CC never saw any reason to venture in the medieval time, so why should the aoe devs so it.
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

BrookG wrote:@Djigit in games before aoe3 you needed to return your gathered resources to a specific point. idk how it's called
Ah right! Like in the previous AoEs, AoEO and Cossacks. That's annoying af, agreed.
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

lordraphael wrote:He means res drop off points like lumberjack or mining camps.
I dont think anyone would like to have an aoe 4 to Play in the 20th century. Im curious if This is limited to This Community or to potential aoe buyers in General.
If aoe 4 was set to be in that timeframe id even reconsider buying it. Ive always liked aoe More than sc2 or CC because ofthe setting it played in. It would be a shame if they made a modern aoe. I also dont see any reason to so . I mean the devs of sc or CC never saw any reason to venture in the medieval time, so why should the aoe devs so it.
If there are land or air vehicles, I hope they won't be meant for military purpose except for scouting.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

you guys are all fooled. AOE IV will look exactly like halo wars 2 :mrgreen:"

tbh, it will most likely be a modern era one. either 19th-20th century or even 21st century into sci fi. They already went back to the ancient period with AoEO. And also AoM was kinda in that time period. The other possibilities are going back to the medieval time period or fantasy.
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

lordraphael wrote:He means res drop off points like lumberjack or mining camps.

Even tho I agree and am not particularly enthusiastic about a 20th - even less about 21st - century AOE with planes/tanks/bombs etc, I see it as inevitable. According to wikipedia, aoe3 covered from 1421-1850 and I don't see why they would go back in time when AOE I, II and III are in chronological order. Although it would be in their interest (potential AOE5?) not to make it past WWII, despite each previous version covering several centuries
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

The trailer told us literally nothing apart from the fact that the game is being developed.

Anything we come up with at this stage is pure speculation.
Top quality poster.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

The trailer does have a punchline: "a new age is upon us". That punchline comes at the end of a panoramic view on the previous historical periods covered by Age games until now. So, this is an explicit hint, imo, that AOE4 will go further in time. How much further... it remains to be seen.

I don't see anything wrong with AOE4 covering the first half of the 20th century. There is no modern RTS which covers both world wars and has individual unit micro. COH is a squadron RTS, it doesn't allow single unit micro. So this would be something new. Units which are exclusively gunpowder that can be microd individually.

And planes would add a new mechanic, it would be a unit that needs specific micro.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

BrookG wrote:The signs show 1890-1950: trailer, history of AoE, remasterings and the company's previous titles. Hopefully, the good stuff from all ages is in the game.

Very specific, indeed :maniac:
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

Actually, since the game is being developed by the same guys behind CoH, I wouldn't be surprised if this was going to be set at around WW1.
Top quality poster.
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

I don't think AOE can fit well into the modern era because the whole concept of building town centres, farms and building up a civilization doesn't work well in the context of a modern era where the whole world is developed at the starting point. It works well if you're starting from ancient times or colonial times, so maybe the scramble for africa could be a starting point. If you start in the modern era it wouldn't be a classic AOE game, it would be more like fighting over a battlefield and bulding bases instead of town centres, trying to control map resources and receiving reinforcements/resources from back home with a card type system.
Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

Aoe3 had something really different from previous ones, which is shipment system. I wonder what aoe4 will have.
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

HUMMAN wrote:Aoe3 had something really different from previous ones, which is shipment system. I wonder what aoe4 will have.

tactical nukes
Top quality poster.
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

Jam wrote:I don't think AOE can fit well into the modern era because the whole concept of building town centres, farms and building up a civilization doesn't work well in the context of a modern era where the whole world is developed at the starting point. It works well if you're starting from ancient times or colonial times, so maybe the scramble for africa could be a starting point. If you start in the modern era it wouldn't be a classic AOE game, it would be more like fighting over a battlefield and bulding bases instead of town centres, trying to control map resources and receiving reinforcements/resources from back home with a card type system.

Somehow I expect that to let to racism technical trouble these days.
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

You could omit that just like we have white European settlers working on Northern American plantations :idea:
Brazil t3rror1sta
Dragoon
ESO: Knight_br

Post by t3rror1sta »

WW1.
The expansion WW2
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Jam wrote:I don't think AOE can fit well into the modern era because the whole concept of building town centres, farms and building up a civilization doesn't work well in the context of a modern era where the whole world is developed at the starting point. It works well if you're starting from ancient times or colonial times, so maybe the scramble for africa could be a starting point. If you start in the modern era it wouldn't be a classic AOE game, it would be more like fighting over a battlefield and bulding bases instead of town centres, trying to control map resources and receiving reinforcements/resources from back home with a card type system.

There are more things they'll have to think through before developing the game. All previous Age games revolved around empires, but late 19th century - early 20th century colonialism is on its last feet. So, if they want to boldly go beyond that, the game can't revolve around the concept of "building your own empire". It might even need to be called differently: Age of Revolutions, Age of Modern something-something. But then if they change the name, this might disappoint or estrange previous fans, who would be expecting a sequel in the "Age of Empires" series. And "Age of Empires" is the current brand name.

Anyway, moving forward in time is unavoidable. The series has no future if they constrain themselves only to imperial/colonial historical periods. Sooner or later, they will have to make a modern "Age of" game.

I think that's why they decided to both make remastered versions of AOE1, 2 and 3 and a new Age game. If fans of the series are disappointed by AOE4, they can still fall back on playing their favourite game in an improved form.

Coming back to the modern AOE idea, I think it would be cool to have a new resource system, that would use more modern resources, like "oil", "electricity", "batteries", "food supplies", "minerals", "money" etc. Each would need new ways of gathering, so new mechanics would need to be learned.

The point I wanted to get at was that, even if there won't be "colonies" and "town centers" that you'd need to build, there could still be "headquarters" or "military bases" or "cities" that you'd have to build from scratch. Maybe different game modes, depending on which type of settlement/site you can build. So you could play a short/fast game of "Expedition" mode, in which you can only build military bases, but not HQs. Shipments could arrive either by air, water or land, depending on map layout or conditions. Helicopters could be used both for raiding and shipping.

Trench warfare could be a new game feature. You'd have to build trenches using resources, much like you'd build wooden/stone walls in previous AOE games.

The game mechanics based around explorers will be replaced by something else, I think. Could be "commander", "general/colonel", "leader" etc. Or they might go with more hero-type of units, like administrators, leaders, scientists.

Natives could be replaced by local paramilitary units or allies: resistance units, commando units, gypsy units, mafia dons etc.

This will be the most challenging "Age of" game to make. Lots of risks and opportunities come with moving forward in time. Or maybe they'll just play safe and only do the 19th century, the age of national liberation movements.
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

@Dolan
I had to laugh at "gypsy units" coming out of nowhere.

In RoN, the resources consist of food, wood, coin, metal, oil and knowledge.
In CoH2, you have manpower, ammo, fuel and experience to some extent.

There is a cool feature on CoH2's "ESO" that allows people to obs any game providing that the players ticked the obs option. https://www.coh2.org/news/25384/observer-mode-preview
I assume they will also implement Twitch to the new "ESO" like they did for the remastered RoN and CoH2.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Gypsies come out of nowhere, when you least expect them.