Are you sociopathic?

This is for discussions about the community, players, forum games, grudge matches, memes and everything else related to ESOC and its members.

Do you consider yourself to be sociopathic

Yes
35%
No
65%

Total votes: 54

United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Re: Are you sociopathic?

Post by Papist »

site wrote:You must separate your conceptions of morality and ethics from simulations such as this. Of course unprecedented murder is "Bad". Would humanity bounce back as being overall "better off" with a higher median intelligence though?

The problem with eugenicist arguments like yours is that there is no objective measure of "good" traits like intelligence; there are only our subjective interpretations. The standardized tests used to measure intelligence are NOT concrete or objective, as evidenced by the fact that you will get progressively better scores if you take them more than once. Like the ACTs, the more you review the material, the better your scores will be. In practical terms, this means that those with the resources to afford such materials will do better on standardized tests than those without them. Therefore your mass-murder spree would disproportionately impact poor people with no regard to their actual intelligence (if there is even if such a thing).

It's also worth noting that all eugenicist arguments are entirely self-serving. People make arguments like yours only because they assume they won't be the ones targeted, and consider themselves to be "superior". It has nothing to do with the betterment of humanity, and everything to do with self-advancement and self-aggrandizement. We all love to think of ourselves as better than everyone else.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

milku3459 wrote:
jesus3 wrote:
umeu wrote:rofl... goodspeed is gone for a few seconds, and you guys start to plot the murder of half the planet... kids these days.

I liked pinky

me too :cry: :cry: :cry:
@tedere12

Pinky's absence on #irl left a hole in my soul :cry:
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

a world with only very intelligent people would be a living hellhole within decades. Or it would be a very peaceful place. Because they all murdered each other.
United States of America site
Lancer
Donator 01
ESO: site

Post by site »

oats13 wrote:
XeeleeFlower wrote:
oats13 wrote:Sociopathy /=/ Anti-social. Sociopathy is basically interchangeable with Psychopathy and is probably due to organic damage to, or genetic poor development of, the amygdala and/or the limbic 'system'.
I'm sorry, but this is simply not true. Please don't take offense. :flowers:

I'm sorry but this is simply not true.Please don't take offense.

https://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/ ... sociopath/

What you referenced only confirms what xeelee originally said.

Yes, they are highly similar, but no, they are not interchangeable.
No Flag ssaraf
Dragoon
ESO: robinhood_xing

Post by ssaraf »

Are these @site thoughts inspired from the Black Mirror TV show (S03E05 - Men Against Fire)?

umeu wrote:rofl... goodspeed is gone for a few seconds, and you guys start to plot the murder of half the planet... kids these days.

Look GS , what your TV show recommendations are doing to kids :P
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

@site, are you planning to make another thread to explain your position and have a proper discussion, or are we all just going to continue with this semi-shitfest thread?
Pay more attention to detail.
Great Britain oats13
Lancer

Post by oats13 »

site wrote:
oats13 wrote:
Show hidden quotes

I'm sorry but this is simply not true.Please don't take offense.

https://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/ ... sociopath/

And that's why I didn't write interchangeable- I wrote basically interchangeable- words have meaning.

look the article actually concludes that-

"Summary

Psychopathy and sociopathy are different cultural labels applied to the diagnosis of antisocial personality disorder."
We hold these truths to be self-evident. All men and women created by the you know, you know the thing.
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

oats13 wrote:
site wrote:
Show hidden quotes

And that's why I didn't write interchangeable- I wrote basically interchangeable- words have meaning.

look the article actually concludes that-

"Summary

Psychopathy and sociopathy are different cultural labels applied to the diagnosis of antisocial personality disorder."

I now better understand what you meant. Thank you for clarifying. :flowers: I still would not say that they are basically interchangeable since they are different subsets of individuals. Yes, Sociopathy can be equated to antisocial personality disorder in that it is diagnosed based upon the behaviors exhibited of the latter. Of course, just because someone has been diagnosed with antisocial personality disorder doesn't mean that they are a sociopath. In any case, I'm sure that we are in agreement, mostly. We're just misinterpreting words, though it's probably just me who is misreading things. If you'd like, we could move our discussion over to PM's and drown each other in research studies. I'm always down to read and discuss articles. I feel that this discussion has hijacked the thread.
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

The point is that being anti social in the sense that youre introverted and somewhat isolated isnt what being a sociopath means at all.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

deleted_user wrote:Ffs I'm the only one who doesn't want to consider the murder of half the persons currently alive?

Honestly very telling of this website...
It's a "what if". You don't have to consider the actual action, just its implications.

Measurement is an issue. How do you measure intelligence? What even is it?
Disregarding that, obviously it would be chaos. Almost no one would agree with the decision so 99% of the world would be mad. Everyone would lose loved ones, a lot of people doing important jobs would be lost etc. Everything would go to shit.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Nah man he literally believes this shit. Fuck that.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

oats13 wrote:Sociopathy /=/ Anti-social. Sociopathy is basically interchangeable with Psychopathy and is probably due to organic damage to, or genetic poor development of, the amygdala and/or the limbic 'system'.

Read the DSM 5
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

Tfw Callen is fooled by his own straw man

United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

deleted_user wrote:Nah man he literally believes this shit. Fuck that.

You are very fearful
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Jerom wrote:The point is that being anti social in the sense that youre introverted and somewhat isolated isnt what being a sociopath means at all.

Read the DSM 5
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Gendarme wrote:Tfw Callen is fooled by his own straw man

Damage control. That was well after this garbage pile of a thread was made and well after he implied he'd do much more. Watch the whole conversation unfold. This response is a nonissue anyways as he can't ever do it. But he believes it to be right. That's what's fucking weird man. He thinks it is OKAY. OKAY to kill 3.5 billion people. Even he thinks it is PREFERABLE over not killing them.

Like what the fuckkkkk dude! I can't believe anyone is still talking to this nutcase. He is ADVOCATING for genocide!

It's not a thought experiment to him.
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

sociopathetic
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

The reason he wouldn't do it is because he realises the possibility that everything could go to shit as Mart said, I think. In other words, he doesn't believe it to be the right thing to do (for the greater good of humanity). The fact that he doesn't care about the individuals themselves is already established by himself claiming to have no empathy and calling himself a sociopath, but that is not really interesting; this is neither an interview with Site nor his biography. He obviously does not share your ethics, and your ad populum-argument of "every theory on ethics disagrees with you" is pointless. This thread does not have a real topic of discussion so I can't say that discussing the morality of it all is missing the point even though I think the practicality of it all is the interesting topic. However, you aren't even discussing the morality of it and are just venting and attacking him which obviously accomplishes nothing other than making you feel good.
Great Britain oats13
Lancer

Post by oats13 »

@deleted_user4 I am aware that the DSM allows in it's scope for even extreme versions of normal things like shyness etc. to be diagnosed as 'illnesses' and tbh i'm not a fan of the DSM ( it's origins are really quite disturbing) however anti-social syndrome is not the same as anti-social behaviour. This is all about the differences between academic and everyday language IMO.

As for Intelligence- it is in fact very measurable, the problem really is in drawing inferences from that data- for instance on an individual level it correlates very highly with economic success but then drawing value judgements from then onwards is very difficult- really you just end up reflecting what society values and the problems with that as opposed to what society really should value.

If you look at the IQ curve for men it starts very low humps in the middle and then dips at the high end of a wide spread- this reflects the great variety of roles men have in society wheareas womens' IQ's tend to start higher, make a large peak in the middle and then end a bit sooner than mens. The average being roughly similar.

Is this because of a restricted role in society? or is it the reverse? an advantage or a disadvantage? it depends on if you look at it from the atomised individual perspective we seem forced into or do you look at it from the societies perspective?

From societies perspective it is good to have a range of men with a high range of abilities in order to plan and execute various activities- and another group of people to counter balance those activities with a more empathetic approach- i.e women.

If you kill people with low IQ you simply end up with a society where men argue over how to do things and then are completely unable to those things and the women get completely unsatisfied.

The problem then is that we don't value highly enough the armies of men who get up every day to collect our rubbish, clean our sewers and generally fix things and we don't value the women who keep those guys sane.
We hold these truths to be self-evident. All men and women created by the you know, you know the thing.
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by site »

@Vinyanyérë, would you be so kind as to lock my thread before Callen embarrasses himself any further?
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06
ESO: duolckrad, Kuvira
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by Vinyanyérë »

@site I believe that threads created to discuss a topic constitute public property rather than private property (with some exceptions). In such a case, the thread's creator is not the owner of the thread and thus does not have the privilege to decide whether or not the thread stays open or not. As long as the topic does not need to be locked for other reasons (for instance, if discussion is exhausted and users are flaming each other excessively), I will not deprive the people of their public property.
duck
:mds:
imo
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by site »

Fair enough.

Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

All in all this seems childish to an outsider.
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by Papist »

@oats13. You are talking about intelligence as if it is a physical object we can measure, but it isn't that straightforward. This is a problem the social sciences have been grappling with since their inception - how do we quantify and analyze that which cannot readily be quantified and analyzed? Numerous studies have concluded that there are in fact many types of intelligence; IQ tests only measure a handful (and even those readings are questionable), and most of the others aren't measurable (social intelligence is a thing, but how do you quantify how good someone is at interacting with other people?). It's just not as simple as one person having "more of something" than another.
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by Papist »

@site I think your therapist got it wrong. Between your good people skills (making APD unlikely) and the various emotional benders I have seen you go on, I would classify you as a narcissist.