Is e-sport only for males?

This is for discussions about the community, players, forum games, grudge matches, memes and everything else related to ESOC and its members.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Re: Is e-sport only for males?

Post by zoom »

Gendarme wrote:
zoom wrote:
pecelot wrote:men do better in sports in general
That is true, but the reasons for it are different between physical sports and intellectual sports.
It depends on how far deep you go digging for "the reasons".
One is physical performance, the other mental. I don't see your point.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

The point is that if you dig just a bit deeper you'll see that mental and physical differences have the same reason.

[video=50]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36GT2zI8lVA[/video]
Pay more attention to detail.
United States of America TheInvincibleJannisary
Dragoon

Post by TheInvincibleJannisary »

I always thought woman were better at multitasking which is very important for AOE3.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Gendarme wrote:The point is that if you dig just a bit deeper you'll see that mental and physical differences have the same reason.

[video=50]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36GT2zI8lVA[/video]
Yes. I think you misunderstand the context and meaning in which I used the word "reason".
Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

Males are more competitive mostly due to T levels. In most culture male value is determined by statue so there is a cultural factor. Most of the time you wont see females flaming and being salty. Rage is a factor to get competitive.
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

really? I've got some women in mind that would go far enough to oos the game if they are not winning :hmm:
Austria KINGofOsmane
Pro Player
ESO: KINGofOsmane

Post by KINGofOsmane »

its like asking why nobody watches female football, simply coz the level is a lot worse and also that what jesus said is true
"Losing to Callen was the worst night of my life" Gibthedurrty 2019
"If hazza can get pr42 with team i can get pr50 with 1v1" Gibthedurrty 2018
Lecastete wrote: Dude i hate this game. I am bad and i also dont have luck
Tete cs:go experience
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

I enjoy watching female track sports, quite a lot :love:
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

zoom wrote:
Gendarme wrote:
Show hidden quotes
It depends on how far deep you go digging for "the reasons".
One is physical performance, the other mental. I don't see your point.

Mental and physical are kinda the same, if we're talking about hardwired factors.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

That'd probably just be another example of women being smarter than men. You'd have to be out of your mind to dedicate your life to playing video games.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Guys are interested in things, girls are interested in people. Video games are a thing.

Remember that "play" is also training. A boy plays games that prepare him for his adult duties: combat, innovation, leadership, etc. A girl plays games that prepare her for her adult duties: spousal support, child-rearing, homemaking, etc. Competitive games by nature largely belong to the first category.

Competition is also fundamentally about status. Women generally don't desire to obtain the highest status. They would prefer to support someone who already has obtained it (or might) as a spouse.

Yin and Yang as the Japanese say.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Dolan wrote:
zoom wrote:It's about the extremes rather than the average; this is professional gaming, not amateur hour.

Yeah, but those sex differences which are based in hormones probably play a role even at the extremes. Ie, even the most talented gaming females are still probably less competitive than the most talented gaming males.
Also, grills probably realise early on that there's no point in trying to compete in a field for which they don't have mental/physical advantages (ie, the stuff I pointed to by quoting those pieces of research).

It's not just about gaming, there are other such fields and jobs. I haven't seen any female mechanic, for example, though I'm sure there must be some, it just doesn't seem like an interesting job for them.

This is why you will never understand discrimination. If the selection will naturally shift to a gender split, as you indicate, and might very well be true, then there is no reason to have a manmade split in place, unless it's to prevent serious physical harm. It's not because what you say discriminates against the average, it discriminates against the exception. And as your post already starts to illustrate, it shows quite clearly how people can take a biological generalisation to the extreme point of having social cultural impact. Inagine if you had a daughter, which you very well might have, its very likely you would instill these beliefs in here. She would be less likely to even try to compete. And the propheay fulfills itself. It at the least shows a poor understanding of the concept of average.

I see no reason to have gender splits in many sports. Really only fighting sports and other contact heavy sports. Most of what you say many people also thought about women and chess, and yet we have judith polgar. Even if shes only the extreme, it shows how unfair it is to her and to the spirit of competition, to exclude her from competing with best. It also makes you wonder how much of it comes down to the many hurdles of prejudice that may eventually prove too hard to overcome.

I dont believe in gender divisions in most cases, and i also dont believe that if we do divide, that there ought to be gender equal prize money, unless its an event such as the olympics.
United States of America vardar
Lancer
ESO: VardarB98/DemonDeacs

Post by vardar »

umeu wrote:
Dolan wrote:
zoom wrote:It's about the extremes rather than the average; this is professional gaming, not amateur hour.

Yeah, but those sex differences which are based in hormones probably play a role even at the extremes. Ie, even the most talented gaming females are still probably less competitive than the most talented gaming males.
Also, grills probably realise early on that there's no point in trying to compete in a field for which they don't have mental/physical advantages (ie, the stuff I pointed to by quoting those pieces of research).

It's not just about gaming, there are other such fields and jobs. I haven't seen any female mechanic, for example, though I'm sure there must be some, it just doesn't seem like an interesting job for them.

This is why you will never understand discrimination. If the selection will naturally shift to a gender split, as you indicate, and might very well be true, then there is no reason to have a manmade split in place, unless it's to prevent serious physical harm. It's not because what you say discriminates against the average, it discriminates against the exception. And as your post already starts to illustrate, it shows quite clearly how people can take a biological generalisation to the extreme point of having social cultural impact. Inagine if you had a daughter, which you very well might have, its very likely you would instill these beliefs in here. She would be less likely to even try to compete. And the propheay fulfills itself. It at the least shows a poor understanding of the concept of average.

I see no reason to have gender splits in many sports. Really only fighting sports and other contact heavy sports. Most of what you say many people also thought about women and chess, and yet we have judith polgar. Even if shes only the extreme, it shows how unfair it is to her and to the spirit of competition, to exclude her from competing with best. It also makes you wonder how much of it comes down to the many hurdles of prejudice that may eventually prove too hard to overcome.

I dont believe in gender divisions in most cases, and i also dont believe that if we do divide, that there ought to be gender equal prize money, unless its an event such as the olympics.

As a track & field athlete myself, there is good reasoning to divide genders...in most sports anyways. The skill gap between men and women in track & field is just so much that there is frankly no point in combining. I know many high school athletes (boys) who's times are better than women's world records. For example, the women's world record in the mile is 4:12, which is a time you see ran by high school boys quite often.

Although, I do believe prize money should not be terribly lopsided in events such as the Diamond League meets etc.

Women train very hard as professionals and deserve to be able to make a living as a professional athlete.
c0ns!
United States of America TheInvincibleJannisary
Dragoon

Post by TheInvincibleJannisary »

At the end of the day, if a female wants to play video games and get good at them then nobody will stop her. She can participate in e-sports np...
Germany QueenOfdestiny
Retired Contributor
ESO: QueenOfdestiny

Post by QueenOfdestiny »

lejend wrote:Guys are interested in things, girls are interested in people. Video games are a thing.

Remember that "play" is also training. A boy plays games that prepare him for his adult duties: combat, innovation, leadership, etc. A girl plays games that prepare her for her adult duties: spousal support, child-rearing, homemaking, etc. Competitive games by nature largely belong to the first category.

Competition is also fundamentally about status. Women generally don't desire to obtain the highest status. They would prefer to support someone who already has obtained it (or might) as a spouse.

So beeing active in a community and doing suff... With people... like i can just... :uglylol:
shit juice :hmm:
Germany QueenOfdestiny
Retired Contributor

Post by QueenOfdestiny »

TheInvincibleJannisary wrote:At the end of the day, if a female wants to play video games and get good at them then nobody will stop her. She can participate in e-sports np...

I have the expirienc that mens are getting even upset when you are as a girl better than them.
Makes them pretty angry and mad... and get the flame of ur life... I played today a guy who was the bext example for this.
But im not here to blame people in the forums.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I played with Barbies as a kid. Shucks I guess I'm no longer a guy.
Germany QueenOfdestiny
Retired Contributor

Post by QueenOfdestiny »

deleted_user wrote:I played with Barbies as a kid. Shucks I guess I'm no longer a guy.

:ohmy: SHAME ON YOU... im with cars :hehe:
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I especially loved using the kitchen in the Barbie-mobile. It made fun noises.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

umeu wrote:
Dolan wrote:

well if there aren't gender division in sports than in almost all sports there would just be no female presence at all..........there are hardly any sports where at the top level women can compete with men. When I swam, played soccer, and played basketball up until college and in everyone of those sports once males hit about 12-14 years old they became much better than their female counter parts. I was nowhere near being collegiate level in basketball but could beat a girl who ended up player division 1 woman's basketball in 1v1 just cause I was bigger and stronger than she was. She was a more skilled player than me but lacked testosterone.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

deleted_user wrote:I especially loved using the kitchen in the Barbie-mobile. It made fun noises.
But did you played cooking mama?
United States of America rickytickitembo
Dragoon
ESO: RickyTickiTembo

Post by rickytickitembo »

So you're saying women shouldn't bother playing video games since they're inferior to men in all aspects?!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMcjxSThD54&t=1355s[/youtube]
My favorite donut is chocolate Aiz.
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

deleted_user wrote:I played with Barbies as a kid. Shucks I guess I'm no longer a guy.
I played with barbies with my sisters too. We threw Ken at the wall over and over and laughed about when his body parts fell off.

Anyways, how come girls get to wear all the cool clothes?
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

queenofdestiny wrote:
lejend wrote:Guys are interested in things, girls are interested in people. Video games are a thing.

So beeing active in a community and doing suff... With people... like i can just... :uglylol:

Exactly. You are the best at it. Every community or family would fall apart without a woman taking care of things. :flowers:
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

vardar wrote:
umeu wrote:
Show hidden quotes

As a track & field athlete myself, there is good reasoning to divide genders...in most sports anyways. The skill gap between men and women in track & field is just so much that there is frankly no point in combining. I know many high school athletes (boys) who's times are better than women's world records. For example, the women's world record in the mile is 4:12, which is a time you see ran by high school boys quite often.

Although, I do believe prize money should not be terribly lopsided in events such as the Diamond League meets etc.

Women train very hard as professionals and deserve to be able to make a living as a professional athlete.

i'm aware of that, but again, its not about most women, and most men, it's about that there might be some women who are excluded by this approach, not in the least because these stereotypes do have an affect. Big part of top sports is mentality, and these kinds of attitudes definitely have an impact on that. If the gap is that big between genders, and in physical sports in no doubt is on average, then the division will come about naturally.

As for prize money, I don't deny that women don't train hard. I don't doubt they train as hard as their male counterparts. I have 2 sisters who played basketball at top level. And I know how much work they have put in. But, unless you're talking about representing your country (so i do think playing for national teams should get same pay), the salary you make as an athlete is decided by the market. There is a reason why a football player makes more money than a triathlete. And its not necessarily because the former is the superior athlete or puts in more work. Just in the same way that the best paid movie actors or singers are not necessarily the best or most hard working. Athletes get paid for their entertainment value, and those whose games attract the most paying customers get paid the most. If that's not the main guiding rule, then I see no reason why gender should be the only criteria for equal pay. We should then also pay disabled athletes parity. And basically any other category we can legitimately think of.