ESOC, hear my plea.

This is for discussions about the community, players, forum games, grudge matches, memes and everything else related to ESOC and its members.
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Re: ESOC, hear my plea.

Post by dietschlander »

right, so we need waters and tree roots and bushes combined.
Let's start irrigating by pumping large ammounts of seawaters through to be build 'waterstreets/channels'.
Is there a do-able way to get the salt out fast? How high above sealevel is the sahara?

Edit: we might need to dig large areas to and study which one to to start with to might be suiable for this potential upcoming project
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

dietschlander wrote:right, so we need waters and tree roots and bushes combined.
Let's start irrigating by pumping large ammounts of seawaters through to be build 'waterstreets/channels'.
Is there a do-able way to get the salt out fast? How high above sealevel is the sahara?

Edit: we might need to dig large areas to and study which one to to start with to might be suiable for this potential upcoming project

Is it possible? It'd require modern engineering marvels of enormous scale and resources to bend Nature to human will. That is what discussion with lejend requires.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

At least all this off topic stuff is helping in making the point clear.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

yeah, you are right on this one Jerom. If ppl still want to make shitposts, troll etc., when we are discussing an issue such as this one? I really cannot see any use in continuing to care, participate in discussions, or even bother to log in to the forum, exept for a random update, or to see what games are being streamed. Its really sad.
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

momuuu wrote:At least all this off topic stuff is helping in making the point clear.

What's the ETA on the next shitting demon/apes story?

It's my favorite manga.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

It is clear that off topic has declined, but only since basement posts have become less numerous.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

-
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

For starters, itd be nice if mods contained shit like this somewhat
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Well, report the posts and action will be taken. Can't blame it all on the mods if we can't even bother to report.
Pay more attention to detail.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

-
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

lejend wrote:Hey, umeo said that arguing constructively instead of shitposting is pointless like growing crops in the Sahara. We're just saying that that's actually very possible. It's perfectly on-topic.

I think I've done my part to foment activity on the forum. How about instead of complaining about it, we all do something about it, and be the change we want to see?

Everyone start one productive discussion today. Pick a topic. Guns, elections, sexbots, immigration, whatever. Then we can discuss it maturely.
He said arguing with you was like planting crops in the Sahara.

Israel is the size of New Jersey nestled between two seas and has claim to a very large fresh water lake. The Sahara Desert is the size of China. It's lake:landmass ratio is smaller. Parts of Israel receive over 30 inches of rain a year while no part of the Sahara receives more than 4 inches of rain a year.

Whether it's truly possible or not is not the point, but rather the impracticality of it. It simply requires too much effort to point out the simplest of innacuracies in all your posts, only to be ignored or led onto some other inaccurate, falsified tangent, like we're doing now.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

lejend wrote:Hey, umeo said that arguing constructively instead of shitposting is pointless like growing crops in the Sahara. We're just saying that that's actually very possible. It's perfectly on-topic.

I think I've done my part to foment activity on the forum. How about instead of complaining about it, we all do something about it, and be the change we want to see?

Everyone start one productive discussion today. Pick a topic. Guns, elections, sexbots, immigration, whatever.

proving once again that you can't read, I see!
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

deleted_user wrote:

Everyone start one productive discussion today. Pick a topic. Guns, elections, sexbots, immigration, whatever. Then we can discuss it maturely.
He said arguing with you was like planting crops in the Sahara.

Israel is the size of New Jersey nestled between two seas and has claim to a very large fresh water lake. The Sahara Desert is the size of China. It's lake:landmass ratio is smaller. Parts of Israel receive over 30 inches of rain a year while no part of the Sahara receives more than 4 inches of rain a year.

Whether it's truly possible or not is not the point, but rather the impracticality of it. It simply requires too much effort to point out the simplest of innacuracies in all your posts, only to be ignored or led onto some other inaccurate, falsified tangent, like we're doing now.

thank you Callen, I was contemplating if I was going to school them on the difference between Israel and the Sahara, but you solved that dilemma for me!
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

One of the largest sugar factories in the world is in Sahara, 4 hours drive south of El Khartoum.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

Back ontopic then: aren't we already able to generate and steer clouds? Kami is able to fly the plane to drop the stuff which steers he clouds.
Don't take Europas cloudse; build on open sea cloudplants. We must make the Sahara green!
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Snuden wrote:One of the largest sugar factories in the world is in Sahara, 4 hours drive south of El Khartoum.

Do they plant the sugar cane there though?
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

umeu wrote:
Snuden wrote:One of the largest sugar factories in the world is in Sahara, 4 hours drive south of El Khartoum.

Yes they do!

"...the area of sugarcane is rising rapidly in response to growing demands for bioethanol and increased sugar demand for human consumption. Despite considerable diversity in production systems and contexts, sugarcane is a particularly “high impact” crop with significant positive and negative environmental and socio-economic impacts."

"...it is considered a critical region for continued expansion due to its high production potential, low cost and proximity to European markets (Tyler, 2008)."

No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Jam wrote:
umeu wrote:

Yes they do!

"...the area of sugarcane is rising rapidly in response to growing demands for bioethanol and increased sugar demand for human consumption. Despite considerable diversity in production systems and contexts, sugarcane is a particularly “high impact” crop with significant positive and negative environmental and socio-economic impacts."

"...it is considered a critical region for continued expansion due to its high production potential, low cost and proximity to European markets (Tyler, 2008)."

"Our analysis is focused on Sub-Saharan Africa"
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

Yea, I just checked... Kenana Sugar is practically not even sub-sahara :blush:
[Sith] - Baphomet
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Snuden wrote:Yea, I just checked... Kenana Sugar is practically not even sub-sahara :blush:
"Kenana is situated near Rabak on the eastern bank of the White Nile"

You mean it's near a water source, the same water source which can mark the end of the Sahara Desert? :shock:
The desert comprises much of North Africa, excluding the fertile region on the Mediterranean Sea coast, the Atlas Mountains of the Maghreb, and the Nile Valley in Egypt and Sudan.
It's like they're growing crops in a fertile valley and not in some sandy wasteland? :shock: :shock:
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

deleted_user wrote:
Snuden wrote:Yea, I just checked... Kenana Sugar is practically not even sub-sahara :blush:

You mean it's near a water source, the same water source which can mark the end of the Sahara Desert? :shock:
The desert comprises much of North Africa, excluding the fertile region on the Mediterranean Sea coast, the Atlas Mountains of the Maghreb, and the Nile Valley in Egypt and Sudan.
It's like they're growing crops in a fertile valley and not in some sandy wasteland? :shock: :shock:

As I wrote... Kenana sugar is not EVEN sub-sahara. When I wrote my post I was sure it was at least considered sub-sahara.
The Nile runs through Sahara though.
[Sith] - Baphomet
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Snuden wrote:
deleted_user wrote:

As I wrote... Kenana sugar is not EVEN sub-sahara. When I wrote my post I was sure it was at least considered sub-sahara.
The Nile runs through Sahara though.

So it's less sub-saharan, more extro-saharan, if we want to delve into greek affixes :cry:
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

I'm slightly confused now.

The discussion was about growing crops in Sahara, I falsely claimed that Kenana Sugar is located in Sahara. It is not. When I wrote my post I thought it was.
I then stated that it is not even located in what is called sub-sahara.

Finally I stated (as a response to you saying the Nile indicated the end of Sahara) that the Nile runs through "the real Sahara"
[Sith] - Baphomet
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Snuden wrote:Finally I stated (as a response to you saying the Nile indicated the end of Sahara) that the Nile runs through "the real Sahara"

This is actually a good question. Technically, based on rainfall, yes, the Nile runs through the Sahara Desert. However, with the marvel that is modern irrigation and the Nile flowing from South to North, strengthening as it enters the desert, the surrounding area has access to liquid water enough to surpass desert-defining annual precipitations. Can then the Nile be used as a sort of man-utilized, emergent boundary to the desert? At least on a commercial scale the answer appears to be "yes."

If yes, the area along the Nile is hardly "sub-saharn" as it exists on the same latitudinal plane(s) as the desert, not below it. A more accurate affix would be "extro," meaning "outside" (but not really, as it can also mean beyond) or perhaps "ir" as in "not" or maybe, most likely, "se" as in "se-saharn" as in "apart" (i.e. seclude, secede), as if man's use of irrigation has successful reclaimed the area from dry desert's grip. How poetic! Greed can bend even the most imposing of Natural parameters.