disclosing info about your peers in discord

This is for discussions about the community, players, forum games, grudge matches, memes and everything else related to ESOC and its members.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Re: disclosing info about your peers in discord

Post by gibson »

Gendarme wrote:One is PC for demanding that people should write only nice things (and a hypocrite too I might add in all cases ITT). The conversation moved on from Spanky's situation.
no one ever said that, people said that we should be considerate towards others in our community, especially when it comes to sharing personal info,which is standard in most communities. Maybe not in stormfront etc so I can see how you might not be used to it, but here at least it should be.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Gendarme wrote:One is PC for demanding that people should write only nice things (and a hypocrite too I might add in all cases ITT). The conversation moved on from Spanky's situation.
Do you have examples of such "demands"? I seem to have missed them. This is exactly why the xkcd is relevant: No one is saying people don't have a right to be a dick. No one is insisting anyone stops being a dick or else. All I see is people making observations, and pointing out that maybe it would be better for all of us if we were more respectful towards each other.

Is feedback about your behaviour so threatening to you that you see this as people demanding you to be different? Because that's not what it is at all.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Goodspeed wrote:
Do you have examples of such "demands"? I seem to have missed them. This is exactly why the xkcd is relevant: No one is saying people don't have a right to be a dick. No one is insisting anyone stops being a dick or else. All I see is people making observations, and pointing out that maybe it would be better for all of us if we were more respectful towards each other.
I don't want to be discussing semantics again. I'd say telling people what they should do is a demand, whether it has consequences or not.

Goodspeed wrote:Is feedback about your behaviour so threatening to you that you see this as people demanding you to be different?
Now you're confusing me. This isn't about my behavior; I'm probably the nicest active off-topic poster.
Pay more attention to detail.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

When you tell other people not to tell other people what to do, it seems like you are telling other people to do something. Imo, anyone can tell anyone what to do. And anyone is free to listen, yay or nay. Anything else is overly pc... And this is not an opinion.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

umeu wrote:[...] it seems like you are telling other people to do something.
Indeed I am. I demand that people stop demanding political correctness.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Let's define political correctness. I'm not sure what it means anymore.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

deleted_user wrote:Let's define political correctness. I'm not sure what it means anymore.
If you’re okay with gay people, not racist, and and expect that people be considerate to other members or the community you’re “overly pc”.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

I'd say something along the lines of "avoidance or condemnation of offense against a group that is perceived as vulnerable". In this case, the condemnation of inconsideration towards people who are sensitive to the point of being offended by the rudeness of internet-strangers.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Gendarme wrote:
umeu wrote:[...] it seems like you are telling other people to do something.
Indeed I am. I demand that people stop demanding political correctness.

That must be a tough debate you're gonna have with the mirror tonight. Let me know how it went tomorrow, mmkay?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Gendarme wrote:I don't want to be discussing semantics again.
Clearly you do, since you seem to be vehemently sticking with your strange choice of words.
I'd say telling people what they should do is a demand, whether it has consequences or not.
Well, it's not. I remain curious which post ITT you consider to be "demanding" a certain behaviour (other than your own post).
Goodspeed wrote:Is feedback about your behaviour so threatening to you that you see this as people demanding you to be different?
Now you're confusing me. This isn't about my behavior; I'm probably the nicest active off-topic poster.
I'm just curious what made you use the word. If it was simply hyperbole, say that. If you really interpreted posts ITT as demanding, that shows you tend to overreact to feedback about behaviour. I can see why it would be extra threatening to you because you value your freedom so much. And let me reiterate: nobody is demanding anyone to do anything. What people are doing is pointing out that if you behave a certain way, you may not find the community a very welcoming place.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

iwillspankyou wrote:
bigsmoke wrote:
Show hidden quotes

This didn't happen.

You did find a woman though who you thought could be me, based on info you got from my donation. And you did share info about her, her age for one thing, and her having aoe info on her homepage. I was not there, and I really do not know what else you could have been sharing. What you did share though, could in worst case scenario provide info so other ppl could identefy this person (me).
You said you where sorry about it, but now it seems you are trying to white wash it all away. Thats pretty sad.

As to the thing Jerom is saying: that I displayed info on the Tibia stream about my health. That is not true. Tibia said some things about HIS health situation, and I said I knew a lot about the condition.
I only told ONE person about my healt situation though, and that was you Jerom. That is why I knew straight away, who the person in discord was. I did not name you in my OP - you did that. And instead of eating a little humple pai, and perhaps say you did not know it was privat, or where you got the info from? you went ahead and called me a dickhead, (and a lot of other things aswell).

I really dont want this thread to go on anymore, but I felt it was sort of my duty to call ppl out, who misuse the info they have been given in privat/for their ears only.
If a streamer should be very curious and want to find out who the donater was, nobody can stop him/her from doing that. BUT that info is privilegded and you should keep it to yourself. Over and out :!:

And then it seems entirely weird that just mentioning things someone told you in pm is evil. If I pm bram that I am going out tomorrow and thus won't be around, and then someone asks him if I will be there, it's not inconsiderate or impolite of him to tell that guy asking him that I'm away. Someone was saying some false things about spanky and she told me some things, in a very light manner, that stated the contrary so I just jumped in and corrected the stuff. I did not even know it was a secret, to me it's like when I tell someone I tore my ACL a while ago and thus can't play football and then the other guy shares that information with someone else while it's relevant. I couldn't care less really. I wouldn't even care one bit if all of ESOC told all of their friends about this, or any other condition I could have. Thus I concluded, quite logically so within normal human behaviour, that this lightly told information wasn't a secret. I didn't even consider it a secret, as it had never been specified and didn't at all appear like something secretive to me. Spanky even dropped some strong implications or just straight up told some things about this in tibia twitch chat - I remember this quite clearly actually. So, sharing things expressed in PMs doesn't at all seem inconsiderate and impolite, it's just normal human behaviour.

Look spanky, I didnt know you're different from normal people when it comes to communication and apperantly assume anything you tell is a secret and that people know that. I don't know how I could've guessed you were different from normal people (I guess I should've guessed lol).
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

Spanky should be banned for not being generic enough imo
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98
No Flag bigsmoke
Skirmisher
ESO: Yvan_Le_Bon

Post by bigsmoke »

iwillspankyou wrote: You did find a woman though who you thought could be me, based on info you got from my donation. And you did share info about her, her age for one thing, and her having aoe info on her homepage. I was not there, and I really do not know what else you could have been sharing. What you did share though, could in worst case scenario provide info so other ppl could identefy this person (me).
You said you where sorry about it, but now it seems you are trying to white wash it all away. Thats pretty sad.

This isn't very black and white as it seems and I'm not going to be incriminated for it. Someone mentioned that there was a girl who commented on stuff a lot on the fb page from Norway, so I looked it up and said she was around my age and I thought that was a bit funny.

Whilst I still am apologetic (and eager to close the topic) people are very quick to judge @momuuu and I, without two full sides of the story and the facts. There is a lot of context missing and people are simple to judge here.

Now I don't like talking about it so I won't but it seems people are just bent on getting to Jerom. Thats not really the point of this thread at all and people are judging on a very inside thing.

Jerom certainly isn't a good guy, nor am I here and I'm not going to debate that issue, but this isn't a 'hate Jerom and Jakey' thread either. IMO this should just be locked (although Jerom is being a bit of a douche about this tho)

In truth I am also mad at the person who shared this to you for obvious reasons and at myself, but really this thread has gone too far.
~~ pecelot rip ~~
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

lol @momuuu thats pretty much all I will answer your post with, and for the record, your last quote was not mine, but the former was. I dont know about you, but I would think that this info was personal. Maybe you are made of another kind of stuff than me. That being said, you got alot of flame for your replies, and you sertantly deserve some, but not all of it. Was never my intention to give you a flame storm. In fact I did not mention you by name (remember)
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

personally I would like the mods to close this thread now
its debated to the last neuron
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

can we have a special section in the forums for locked, epic threats?
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

iwillspankyou wrote:lol @momuuu thats pretty much all I will answer your post with, and for the record, your last quote was not mine, but the former was. I dont know about you, but I would think that this info was personal. Maybe you are made of another kind of stuff than me. That being said, you got alot of flame for your replies, and you sertantly deserve some, but not all of it. Was never my intention to give you a flame storm. In fact I did not mention you by name (remember)

The quote was mine, from the previous post I made. It literally answered your answer to it, weirdly enough. You should be aware that not all people think exactly the way you are, and if you want something to be private you should specify that. Because personally, I wouldn't even come close to considering it a secret (and many people would think the same, just look at tibias stream for example).
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Tibia choose to disclose his medical condition. I did not
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Jakey back on ESOC since 10 days, already in trouble
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
India gh0st
Lancer
ESO: gh0st007

Post by gh0st »

iwillspankyou wrote:personally I would like the mods to close this thread now
its debated to the last neuron

pro tip : just post "ez" if you want this thread closed. :maniac:
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

ez
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

iwillspankyou wrote:Tibia choose to disclose his medical condition. I did not

You do not see the point, do you? Honest to god, you made a mistake and are angry at others (me) for it..
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

We need this post again since nobody seems to have read it:

momuuu wrote:
deleted_user wrote:People who share things expressed in PMs are being inconsiderate and impolite. It's quite simple. Using a donor's online paper trail from paypal to try to find their personal information is weird and creepy. There is no legality discussion to have, it's just scumbags being scumbags because they don't like someone. But apprently that's okay, and it's not a scumbag's fault, and the people who feel betrayed need lessons on internet anonymity and legislature, not any sort of compassion.

First of, it's not actually that weird and creepy to look up someone on facebook. People literally do this all the time. You're invited to a party and you end up looking up some of those girls on facebook, or you are assigned some groupmates for a project and you end up quickly glancing over their facebook account as you know their names. I think its completely normal to wonder what a person like Iwillspankyou is like, and I don't think it's weird and creepy if you want to take a guess to see if it's on facebook. Hell, I once, long ago, tracked down MCJim's facebook because he put out the challenge to figure out how old he was. Took some stalking but that wasn't all that creepy and weird. The fact of the matter is that by putting information on facebook, you agree that every random stranger can find out who you are. That's what the street analogy was about - maybe its extreme but it covers the point: If you throw your information out in public then people can look up some of it. Considering that average human beings might get curious and look it up, you should be aware of that. If spanky does not want this information to be available, she shouldn't have an easily tracable facebook account - which it turns out she doesn't have.

And then it seems entirely weird that just mentioning things someone told you in pm is evil. If I pm bram that I am going out tomorrow and thus won't be around, and then someone asks him if I will be there, it's not inconsiderate or impolite of him to tell that guy asking him that I'm away. Someone was saying some false things about spanky and she told me some things, in a very light manner, that stated the contrary so I just jumped in and corrected the stuff. I did not even know it was a secret, to me it's like when I tell someone I tore my ACL a while ago and thus can't play football and then the other guy shares that information with someone else while it's relevant. I couldn't care less really. I wouldn't even care one bit if all of ESOC told all of their friends about this, or any other condition I could have. Thus I concluded, quite logically so within normal human behaviour, that this lightly told information wasn't a secret. I didn't even consider it a secret, as it had never been specified and didn't at all appear like something secretive to me. Spanky even dropped some strong implications or just straight up told some things about this in tibia twitch chat - I remember this quite clearly actually. So, sharing things expressed in PMs doesn't at all seem inconsiderate and impolite, it's just normal human behaviour.

And that's the point. If you don't want your facebook to be looked up, don't have a facebook or hide it. If you don't want people to share something you told them, tell them it's a secret. That's all.

And then your response kinda gets me to this response by gendarme:
Gendarme wrote:@deleted_user4 No. Internet-acquaintances are not meaningful to everyone as they are to you. One does not necessarily care more about a person in this community than a complete internet-stranger simply due to having "known" them for more than a year. Sharing the discovered Facebook-account of a random person on the internet is not wrong and certainly does not make one a scumbag.

You love your moral high ground and claim to be caring, but ironically all you do is flame people who do not share your opinions when you're not busy shitposting. You insist on calling this person an asshole and a scumbag, but if there is one person in this community who deserves those names it is you yourself. Try to take a look in the mirror for once.

You really do instantly take moral high ground here: "oh it's so inconsiderate, that guy is a scumbag!" While in reality, you're condemning very normal human behaviour. That's why Gendarme, and I too, perceive your post as someone taking moral high ground, trying to make yourself look nice and caring, while calling others that have a different view or behave normally scumbags. I don't think it'd have gotten such a heavy response if this was the first time you did this, but I've noticed you do this a lot. And a lot too me, to the point where I would consider it an attempt to 'bully' me. Whenever I have a non-positive view on something on this forum, you, spanky and sometimes others personally attack me and call me a negative person. I call it an attempt because I don't really care that much and am quite capable of standing up for myself here (btw please don't consider me a victim), but that's why I am calling you out on this stuff.

momuuu wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:You're literally just saying you shouldn't be considerate to people

You don't have to be considerate to people if you don't want to. PC culture is really deep in you americans man.

momuuu wrote:
gibson wrote:It’s funny how Jeroms gotten so anti pc he sees the horrible “pcness” everywhere and forcing his anti pcness on people way more than anyone being pc is. Should just ban him for trolling tbh, no ones that’s dumb.

I only said you don't have to be nice to people. It bothers me about many Americans and typically pc people to be honest.. Somehow people around here think the only viable vision on the world is one where we're living in a flowercoated paradise, while having to condemn everyone that thinks differently. I think it's better to just see things the way they are and let people think whatever they think. But I don't even know how you've gotten that out of this thread.

This is another point. If you look closely at what fightinfrenchman is saying is that you should be considerate to people, to which I reply you don't really have to be so. It's normal to not be considerate towards people you don't like and normally people aren't actually overly considerate to people they don't know. I don't really consider many esoc people people I know, and I also consider many people unfriendly towards me, so I don't feel like being considerate towards them. There are nice people in the community, that are nice to me, that don't always judge me for having a relatively harsh and straightforward personality, so I chill with those. Doesn't really make me a terrible human being, and doesn't make it so that I don't have friends like Gibson implied (quite the contrary actually, there's not enough time for the friends I have right now). The fact that I bring PC culture into this is maybe a bit unrelated, but I just can't stand the almost forced positivism on ESOC. Either you're supportive, you say positive things and condemn all sorts of behaviour (even if it's just normal), or you're going to get a bunch of hate from a bunch of people. It bothers me a lot, because I could never be a person like this - what bothers me more is that people (gibson especially with his high class ad hominems) make it seem as if not following this vision makes you a mean, bad and unfriendly person while I am in fact very considerate and kind towards the people that are nice to me.

The bottom line is that I'm bothered by a group of ESOC users that take every opportunity to call someone negative or condemn something about someone, even if he is just being honest. I get that it is your opinion, but it's simply a dickhead move to constantly share that. That's my entire point. I am standing up to this because I basically perceive it as an act of bullying. Just take snuden, providing us an excellent example of my point. Snuden explains how he likes to live his life, and then people jump onto him pointing out that he's weird and doing something wrong. Basically, these people are just mocking Snuden's life for no reason (or well, they do get to showcase their moral compass I suppose). I would never sit idly by when this happens in real life, and apperantly not on ESOC either. Have whatever opinion you want, but just don't pick on people for having an opinion.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Yeah for sure, now that you copy pasted it, everyone is gonna read this book
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

ez

EDIT: On a serious note, I locked the thread because Spank was not comfortable with where the discussion was going. Deviating from the orginial discussion is of course fine, but since she made the thread I wanted to honor the request. Feel free to make a new thread, but please watch out for not making it too personal.