What's with all the complaining/locking?

This is for discussions about the community, players, forum games, grudge matches, memes and everything else related to ESOC and its members.
Zimbabwe PeachTree
Skirmisher

What's with all the complaining/locking?

Post by PeachTree »

I have only been on here a few short months, and i constantly see issues that keep popping up - a serious discussion going off-topic very fast, and then being locked by the moderators to keep things in check. I dont play the game much, but i didnt realize how fractured this community is. On one side you have the trolls racists etc, and on the other side you have PC progressive complainers arguing about politicians and shit. This is a gaming forum, not a political science forum!!!! I would much rather prefer if the politicians discussed would be pooled from the in game politicians (exiled prince, etc). Chill out people! :sad:
No Flag bigsmoke
Skirmisher
ESO: Yvan_Le_Bon

Re: What's with all the complaining/locking?

Post by bigsmoke »

There are a lot of people who do it, and continue to do it because they can get away with it.

Turns out if ur buds with the mods the rules don't seem to apply to you. Those people know who they are.
~~ pecelot rip ~~
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

-
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

lejend wrote:Nobody really knows who they are. Especially these days. That is why people are drawn towards political ideologies, cults, drugs, promiscuity, etc. Instead of being themselves, they instead "let go" and give themselves up to a group. It's much easier to be a cog in a machine than to be free and independent.

There's a great book about this called "The True Believer" by Eric Hoffer.
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

bigsmoke wrote:There are a lot of people who do it, and continue to do it because they can get away with it.

Turns out if ur buds with the mods the rules don't seem to apply to you. Those people know who they are.

What rules? The only consistently enforced rules ever applied are cheating accusations. Moderating is pretty lax across the board.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

bigsmoke wrote:There are a lot of people who do it, and continue to do it because they can get away with it.

Okay, then what justifies the fact that you're still here?
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

Yes I’ve been struggling with if we have too much political discourse in general. Regardless of side it certainly isn’t bringing us together.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

-
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

lejend wrote:It's really befuddling that we have to have this discussion every single week. This is the OFF-TOPIC forum of an AoE forum. By definition, the topics here won't be related to AoE. Why people deliberately enter an expressly off-topic forum, and then complain about the topics there being off-topic, is truly beyond me. This is a community - as in, actual people; not everyone wants to discuss nothing but games all day long with their buddies. If you don't like off-topic, you can just avoid it or the specific threads you dislike.
Iv been saying this for years, its people like jerom who want to ban anyone who makes topics he doesnt find interesting.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

yuck, shux when logic dictatesh u must agree with the likesh of lejenda and gibshona
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

umeä :love:
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

The tighter the community, the more drama. And I have to agree with lejend as well... This is the off-topic forum and it's called that for a reason.
_H2O wrote:Yes I’ve been struggling with if we have too much political discourse in general. Regardless of side it certainly isn’t bringing us together.
Isn't it? I think that's debatable. Getting to know each other's points of view and debating them does bring people together. If politics is what people want to discuss, they should be able to. If not, they will find a place where they are able to. I for one would not be here if political discussion wasn't allowed. And if I wasn't here, I would not know about AoE3 events, would stop hosting betting, and would get disconnected from the community altogether. The off topic forum is a place to keep people engaged who aren't necessarily interested in discussion about the game, but do have the potential to eventually come back to the game or contribute to the community in other ways. You significantly hurt your chances of ever seeing those people again if you remove or actively censor this forum.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

well said Kami, goodie, gibs, umeå and lejend. True story; I prolly would not bother visiting Esoc community, very often, if there where no off topic.
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
No Flag britrouga
Musketeer

Post by britrouga »

iwillspankyou wrote:well said Kami, goodie, gibs, umeå and lejend. True story; I prolly would not bother visiting Esoc community, very often, if there where no off topic.

Yes same!
No, joking, I only care about strategy.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

you tell em clementine!
No Flag bigsmoke
Skirmisher

Post by bigsmoke »

Ashvin wrote:

Not gonna lie I'm part of the problem :?
~~ pecelot rip ~~
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

bigsmoke wrote:
Ashvin wrote:

I'd say they give people chances, like they did to many but it doesn't come out in public. This problem is at its lowest now tbh, was worse in past.
No Flag bigsmoke
Skirmisher

Post by bigsmoke »

Ashvin wrote:
bigsmoke wrote:
Show hidden quotes

I'd say they give people chances, like they did to many but it doesn't come out in public. This problem is at its lowest now tbh, was worse in past.

I think its a different problem than the thread is talking about, but it is a cause.
~~ pecelot rip ~~
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
No Flag bigsmoke
Skirmisher

Post by bigsmoke »

kami_ryu wrote:
bigsmoke wrote:
Show hidden quotes

No.

The problem aren't the topics. The problem are people who are extremely belligerent in threads for no reason whatsoever. People resort to personal attacks way too quickly. I don't care that this is an AOE3 forum, that doesn't matter. The off topic section is called "off topic" for the reason that it has nothing to do with AOE3 content.

lol this isn't rocket science

we're talking about something different bud
~~ pecelot rip ~~
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

In order to appease people who think there shouldn't be an off topic let's rename it something ridiculous like "the water cooler"
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

kami_ryu wrote:
bigsmoke wrote:
Show hidden quotes

No.

The problem aren't the topics. The problem are people who are extremely belligerent in threads for no reason whatsoever. People resort to personal attacks way too quickly. I don't care that this is an AOE3 forum, that doesn't matter. The off topic section is called "off topic" for the reason that it has nothing to do with AOE3 content.

I'm guilty, nothing more I enjoy than being instagatory by calling someone names!
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

gibson wrote:
kami_ryu wrote:
Show hidden quotes

No.

I'm guilty, nothing more I enjoy than being instagatory by calling someone names!
Shut up poo face!
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

People just need to stop the damn trolling
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums