Is our community toxic?

This is for discussions about the community, players, forum games, grudge matches, memes and everything else related to ESOC and its members.

Is our community toxic?

No
18%
Yes
22%
Some individuals are
60%

Total votes: 78

United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Is our community toxic?

Post by XeeleeFlower »

What do you think? How do you feel?

In your comments, please discuss what you view as toxic behavior. Do you feel that flaming (whether in good fun or not) is toxic? What about name calling and slurs, such as "retard", "fag", etc. Is shitposting toxic? How about biting sarcasm? What is toxic behavior to you?

If you feel that our community is toxic, what would you propose we do to fix it? Do you think it needs fixed at all? Is it just an expected part of internet culture?
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Re: Is our community toxic?

Post by Lukas_L99 »

Compared to the other communities I know (mainly CS:GO) I think this community is way less toxic. I guess this is due to it being smaller, so many of us know each other and some for a very long time.

Sure there might be some flaming here and there, mainly about ego and sore losers, but it really isn’t nearly as bad as other (bigger) communities.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Lukas_L99 wrote:Compared to the other communities I know (mainly CS:GO) I think this community is way less toxic. I guess this is due to it being smaller, so many of us know each other and some for a very long time.

Sure there might be some flaming here and there, mainly about ego and sore losers, but it really isn’t nearly as bad as other (bigger) communities.
Are you saying that you feel that it is toxic, just not as toxic as other communities?
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

XeeleeFlower wrote:
Lukas_L99 wrote:Compared to the other communities I know (mainly CS:GO) I think this community is way less toxic. I guess this is due to it being smaller, so many of us know each other and some for a very long time.

Are you saying that you feel that it is toxic, just not as toxic as other communities?

Hm nah, not toxic.
Bavaria Gichtenlord
Howdah
Donator 03

Post by Gichtenlord »

I dont see how this community is toxic.
Most of the dramas emerge from twitch chat and not from esoc itself
r]
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

If there are truly toxic people, its a small handful of them that dont even seem to browse these forums that much.
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

In my book an individual is toxic when his/her body is containing toxins. That's not necessarily bad. All of us have been exposed to an extreme toxic load throughout our lifetimes. The food we eat, the water we drink and the air we breathe has all been contaminated with unnatural substances.

When your body accumulates more toxins than it is able to remove you will eventually begin to experience negative effects. In the beginning you may notice a decline in energy levels. You might also experience occasional symptoms like headaches, allergies or digestive discomfort. Eventually toxins can build up to the point where they strain your organs and impair optimal functioning. If the situation is not addressed the effects of excess toxins can ultimately lead to the development of chronic health issues.

Ok, let's say everyone is toxic in this community. What do we do?

Your body regularly attempts to purge toxins from your system by stimulating its natural cleansing processes. This can manifest in the form of symptoms that we interpret as an illness, such as a cold or flu. We’ve become accustomed to seeking out a quick fix in the form of a pill or remedy to alleviate discomfort. But the reality is that suppressing these symptoms hinders your body’s ability to eradicate toxins. This ultimately forces them deeper while the underlying cause of the problem remains.

A total health transformation can only occur when we move away from the concept of treating disease and instead focus on achieving balance. Detoxification is fundamental in order to eliminate the root cause of chronic health issues. An effective detoxification program will naturally support the cleansing pathways via the elimination organs. In particular most people need to work on enhancing the filtration capacity of the kidneys and resolving obstructions within the lymphatic system.

The answer lies withing your diet! When you increase the quality of your nutritional intake your body will naturally begin to heal itself. Even shifting to a whole-foods, plant-based diet can result in substantial health benefits. However, raw foods have unique qualities that support the ability of your body to cleanse and release toxins. Fruit especially activates healing through initiating deep cleansing and enhancing the function of the organs of elimination.

In conclusion, I'd suggest everyone to change his diet to a high fruit raw vegan diet if he has not already. It's for the good of ourselves and our community after all! :export: :flowers: :love:
Czech Republic Googol
Retired Contributor
ESO: Butifle

Post by Googol »

tedere12 wrote:In my book an individual is toxic when his/her body is containing toxins. That's not necessarily bad. All of us have been exposed to an extreme toxic load throughout our lifetimes. The food we eat, the water we drink and the air we breathe has all been contaminated with unnatural substances.

When your body accumulates more toxins than it is able to remove you will eventually begin to experience negative effects. In the beginning you may notice a decline in energy levels. You might also experience occasional symptoms like headaches, allergies or digestive discomfort. Eventually toxins can build up to the point where they strain your organs and impair optimal functioning. If the situation is not addressed the effects of excess toxins can ultimately lead to the development of chronic health issues.

Ok, let's say everyone is toxic in this community. What do we do?

Your body regularly attempts to purge toxins from your system by stimulating its natural cleansing processes. This can manifest in the form of symptoms that we interpret as an illness, such as a cold or flu. We’ve become accustomed to seeking out a quick fix in the form of a pill or remedy to alleviate discomfort. But the reality is that suppressing these symptoms hinders your body’s ability to eradicate toxins. This ultimately forces them deeper while the underlying cause of the problem remains.

A total health transformation can only occur when we move away from the concept of treating disease and instead focus on achieving balance. Detoxification is fundamental in order to eliminate the root cause of chronic health issues. An effective detoxification program will naturally support the cleansing pathways via the elimination organs. In particular most people need to work on enhancing the filtration capacity of the kidneys and resolving obstructions within the lymphatic system.

The answer lies withing your diet! When you increase the quality of your nutritional intake your body will naturally begin to heal itself. Even shifting to a whole-foods, plant-based diet can result in substantial health benefits. However, raw foods have unique qualities that support the ability of your body to cleanse and release toxins. Fruit especially activates healing through initiating deep cleansing and enhancing the function of the organs of elimination.

In conclusion, I'd suggest everyone to change his diet to a high fruit raw vegan diet if he has not already. It's for the good of ourselves and our community after all! :export: :flowers: :love:

You should publish this wonderful book ! :flowers:
Croatia gryphoon94
Skirmisher
ESO: GRYPHOON

Post by gryphoon94 »

XeeleeFlower wrote:What do you think? How do you feel?

In your comments, please discuss what you view as toxic behavior. Do you feel that flaming (whether in good fun or not) is toxic? What about name calling and slurs, such as "retard", "fag", etc. Is shitposting toxic? How about biting sarcasm? What is toxic behavior to you?

If you feel that our community is toxic, what would you propose we do to fix it? Do you think it needs fixed at all? Is it just an expected part of internet culture?

These are some really great questions. Im relatively new to this forum, so my experience may differ from the veterans. I feel that for the most part, the majority of the community is fine. So far I've had a blast reading varying perspective on subjects, and I feel the reason for that is because we come from different countries and hold different world views.

In regard to toxic people, in my opinion there are a few bad apples that you deal with, but luckily, these people mainly stick to eso rather than spreading their toxicity on eso-c. I guess thats just the nature of such a competitive game, where it can bring out rage/anger/adrenaline in people who act negatively immediately after a loss or bad play. However, in contrast, the forums are a positive environment from my point of view. Subtle trolling is allowed and fun, but when lines are crossed, mods are always ready to jump in and remove posts. From what I've seen, the staff have been handling the forums great to keep the community positive.

TLDR: Eso can be toxic environment, but Eso-c is a positive environment.
"I only used Moesbar for 2 years, that's not even long" - SirMusket
Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

Its internet, chill.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

Imo, it's moderate, not too toxic, not too friendly
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Regarding off-topic, at this point nobody really has the stamina anymore to engage in serious discussions. That part of the community is effectively dead (or in a serious coma). Too many good—or potentially good—threads have been derailed and subsequently locked with all the effort put into them in vain. It is perhaps possible to slowly turn this around (although I am personally most likely done), but the moderation policies would need to change drastically. Derailed threads should be put back on track by the deletion of the bad posts rather than locked and turned into bloat; warnings and bans alone do not revive a discussion, and locking threads honestly only does harm by actually killing the threads. I'll happily to bring up some threads and explain exactly what I mean.

Regarding toxicity, it is not really a problem either. Language in all its forms is a tool for communication, including bad feelings. It is already difficult enough to get our point across accurately; restricting the ability to communicate is quite unhelpful. Good or bad behavior is punished or rewarded accordingly and to the necessary extent by the community itself.

Simply put, there are only two (but major) problems:

- Derailed threads are not rescued and the perpetrators go unpunished.

- Things other than the derailing of threads are moderated (such as toxicity), which shouldn't be the case.

You cannot force trust among colleagues, and you cannot force friendship among community members. Everyone is here either due to Age of Empires 3 or Skyrim, and the person comes with the player whether you like it or not. The purpose of the forum is to provide a platform for the people to be able to communicate; what the community eventually evolves to be is a union consisting of its members and their relations. Currently this community is in its infancy despite being three years old; every relation that has been formed—good or bad—has been formed outside of this website, simply because this website is badly malfunctioning.

Correct the mistakes, reconstruct the policies, build a platform for the community, and let the community evolve to what it is destined to be. You have been playing God for three years, and it has only brought us to this thread.
Pay more attention to detail.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Who are you addressing in your post @Gendarme ? Xeelee?
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

No. Everyone that is involved with the moderation of the forum. I interpreted this thread as a poll from the community team and not Xeelee personally. Perhaps I was mistaken.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Relatively speaking, no. Absolutely speaking, yes.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Just wanted to make sure I know what you are talking about. While I agree with some of your points, I don't feel it really fixes the toxicity. Then again, you are not saying the toxicity is a problem. I am afraid that with too many 'toxic' members, the community can't punish bad behavior but rather encourages it. CS:GO and even TF2 are good examples for this. ESOC isn't the worst by far, but on other forums I visit, toxic people have a lot less influence on the forums because there are less of them.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

I do not know much about CS:GO and TF2, but my guess is that those "communities" are so large that they exceed Dunbar's number for a forum to the extent that they cannot possibly form a community. ESOC is not there yet, but might be after the release of AoE3:DE and AoE4, which is a change that we should be prepared for. The only real problem with toxicity right now is that it often leads to the derailing of threads, but even in that case tackling toxicity is just an XY problem.
United States of America Vickyxxx5528
Skirmisher
ESO: Kikk

Post by Vickyxxx5528 »

Simple really, Grow up!
The Otto Lamer Girl

“Yes yes I Otto lame!
Cos when I win with another civ, it’s not the same!
When the TC’s down, vills runin-round,
It will make you so mad to change game!”
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

I feel like ESOC peaked during its first two years. At this point most conversations have already been had, multiple times depending on the subject. There isn't much to see in off-topic other than shitposting, superficial kindness, cliques, unnecessary fights over things that aren't a big deal, and ideological shilling. I don't use discord, so pardon me if quality is much better over there. In terms of actual aoe3 discussion, I think ESOC is pretty good though. The high level players don't make up >50% of the posts, so there's a lot more casual discussion and strategies. But there's still enough good players to answer serious questions, and point it out when someone says something stupid. A problem a lot of communities have is that they're too strict with their meta, but ESOC doesn't have that at all. It might be because the community is above average, or it could be because there's no reason to be mad at non-meta strats in a 1v1 game.
Germany japanesegeneral
Lancer
ESO: JapaneseGeneral

Post by japanesegeneral »

Gendarme wrote:I do not know much about CS:GO and TF2, but my guess is that those "communities" are so large that they exceed Dunbar's number for a forum to the extent that they cannot possibly form a community. ESOC is not there yet, but might be after the release of AoE3:DE and AoE4, which is a change that we should be prepared for. The only real problem with toxicity right now is that it often leads to the derailing of threads, but even in that case tackling toxicity is just an XY problem.

Lol the links to Dunbar number and XY problem are so cute. Anyone who does not know them is also too stupid to google stuff?
6 petards a day keep the doctor away.
Germany QueenOfdestiny
Retired Contributor
ESO: QueenOfdestiny

Post by QueenOfdestiny »

I am toxic so go away with this!
shit juice :hmm:
India Frost Bite
Dragoon
ESO: ContainsCaffeine
GameRanger ID: 3243371

Post by Frost Bite »

This is virtual ,You guys are only a figment of my imagination.

This is how illuminati works.
World War 3 is inevitable, Run for your lives, fools
France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01
ESO: bwinner

Post by bwinner »

queenofdestiny wrote:I am toxic so go away with this!

You are definitly the problem of this community (farding when kaiser is streaming as you usually do etc is definitly toxic). Pls mod ban her to cure the community
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

ESOC is only toxic when sentiments don't align with my beliefs, naturally.