Is our community toxic?

This is for discussions about the community, players, forum games, grudge matches, memes and everything else related to ESOC and its members.

Is our community toxic?

No
18%
Yes
22%
Some individuals are
60%

Total votes: 78

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Re: Is our community toxic?

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Well certain people are, but recently it has not been too bad
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
India Frost Bite
Dragoon
ESO: ContainsCaffeine
GameRanger ID: 3243371

Post by Frost Bite »

tedere12 wrote:In my book an individual is toxic when his/her body is containing toxins. That's not necessarily bad. All of us have been exposed to an extreme toxic load throughout our lifetimes. The food we eat, the water we drink and the air we breathe has all been contaminated with unnatural substances.

When your body accumulates more toxins than it is able to remove you will eventually begin to experience negative effects. In the beginning you may notice a decline in energy levels. You might also experience occasional symptoms like headaches, allergies or digestive discomfort. Eventually toxins can build up to the point where they strain your organs and impair optimal functioning. If the situation is not addressed the effects of excess toxins can ultimately lead to the development of chronic health issues.

Ok, let's say everyone is toxic in this community. What do we do?

Your body regularly attempts to purge toxins from your system by stimulating its natural cleansing processes. This can manifest in the form of symptoms that we interpret as an illness, such as a cold or flu. We’ve become accustomed to seeking out a quick fix in the form of a pill or remedy to alleviate discomfort. But the reality is that suppressing these symptoms hinders your body’s ability to eradicate toxins. This ultimately forces them deeper while the underlying cause of the problem remains.

A total health transformation can only occur when we move away from the concept of treating disease and instead focus on achieving balance. Detoxification is fundamental in order to eliminate the root cause of chronic health issues. An effective detoxification program will naturally support the cleansing pathways via the elimination organs. In particular most people need to work on enhancing the filtration capacity of the kidneys and resolving obstructions within the lymphatic system.

The answer lies withing your diet! When you increase the quality of your nutritional intake your body will naturally begin to heal itself. Even shifting to a whole-foods, plant-based diet can result in substantial health benefits. However, raw foods have unique qualities that support the ability of your body to cleanse and release toxins. Fruit especially activates healing through initiating deep cleansing and enhancing the function of the organs of elimination.

In conclusion, I'd suggest everyone to change his diet to a high fruit raw vegan diet if he has not already. It's for the good of ourselves and our community after all! :export: :flowers: :love:

Dear Ted,
I feel sorry for your life partner :/ .
World War 3 is inevitable, Run for your lives, fools
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

ProjectW wrote:Who gives a fuck, it's the internet. Jesus fucking christ. This is what happens when u let women in the community. Every gets all bitchy and SJW and 'omg so mean' bullshit. Grow a pair of fucking balls and move on.
"When u let women in the community" the words of someone who probably knows no women :hmm: :hmm:
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

he was born to a man
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

ProjectW wrote:Who gives a fuck,
You, clearly
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

pecelot wrote:he was born to a man
popped right out of his dick
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

ProjectW wrote:Who gives a fuck, it's the internet. Jesus fucking christ. This is what happens when u let women in the community. Every gets all bitchy and SJW and 'omg so mean' bullshit. Grow a pair of fucking balls and move on.

With statements like those, you are part of the "some individuals" the poll is talking about.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Well everyone has different definitions, different tolerable thresholds for what they consider "toxic." So, idk, it's a personal experience, shaped by a person's value placed in their interactions, in their particular beliefs, and by what they think the forums should be. It doesn't strike me as particularly bad, no. On the whole more positive than not. I don't see any users with no redeemable qualities. That isn't to say there isn't toxic behavior coming from some of us.

What I believe is that toxicity breeds toxicity and whoever might have been in the "right" initially, in retaliation, can become no better in their behavior. And you get this weird shit slinging devolution which has a real effect on forum culture. I mean, I've been that guy. There's a damn weird line between tolerance and discussion and being staunch and open minded and plain prejudice and how to deal with that. But there's probably a preferable way to go about what the individual deems as toxic and a non preferable way -- stooping is probably not preferable.

I'm kind of coming to despise low-effort irony for the sole sake of dissension, which was a sort of go-to tactic for me, so I'm sad.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

with a taste of your lips I'm on a ride
you're toxic, I'm slipping under...
Spain NekoBerk
Lancer
ESO: Nirket

Post by NekoBerk »

Every Community is toxic, CS GO, LOL, Minecraft, etc. i don't know what you're talking about, see the poor @jesus3 was betrayed by Judas too
"That's why we sing for these kids who don't have a thing
Except for a dream and a fuckin' rap magazine " - Eminem

"And we hate po-po
Wanna kill us dead in the street fo sho' " - Kendrick Lamar
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

NekoBerk wrote:Every Community is toxic, CS GO, LOL, Minecraft, etc. i don't know what you're talking about, see the poor @jesus3 was betrayed by Judas too

The last part was so funny I dislocated my jaw.
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger
ESO: Mongobillione

Post by sebnan12 »

my friend if u had a deeper knowledge about the anatomy of a human body, ud not post a silly line such as ''grow a pair of balls''. because ultimatly, only a mere 50% of all humans can do such thing as: ''grow a pair of balls''. i adress u to overthink ur post and edit it accordingly to whatever the outcome of ur thoughts may deliever.
"Why are you trying to lecture me on my own language, no wonder you people shit in the open street."- Riotcoke

''man he's slow rolling him more than a fish on a royal flush'' - Garja

NEED MORE XP
Great Britain InsectPoison
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

Ah yes lets blame it on the women
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Netherlands blackwidow
Dragoon
ESO: MASTERdutch

Post by blackwidow »

ESOC? not even close, ESO? maybe, depends on the definition of toxic. IMO (just plain balance complaining or insults) about 1/4 of my opponents are.
Germany QueenOfdestiny
Retired Contributor
ESO: QueenOfdestiny

Post by QueenOfdestiny »

InsectPoison wrote:

Ah yes lets blame it on the women

I'm mf glad I'm not a woman!
shit juice :hmm:
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

somppukunkku wrote:Image

I love Tyler man but he's just wrong here
No Flag Radix_Lecti
Dragoon

Post by Radix_Lecti »

No, that is right.
I feel much happier without ESO in my life. I used to think I had to play to de-stress, but it was just as similar as to smoking.
Just walk away man.

I saw a girl's notebook today with sad messages all over it, now THAT is bullying that rly matters.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

deleted_user wrote:

Want to give a reason why you think this way? With so many tools these days to just mute/block/ignore it seems quite simple. Does it make it fair that in some situations the person being bullied has to turn something they enjoy off to avoid being bullied, of course not but it's still not hard to stop seeing it.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

wardyb1 wrote:
deleted_user wrote:

Want to give a reason why you think this way? With so many tools these days to just mute/block/ignore it seems quite simple. Does it make it fair that in some situations the person being bullied has to turn something they enjoy off to avoid being bullied, of course not but it's still not hard to stop seeing it.

OK here are my thoughts.

This can be applied literally just as well. Just plug your ears if someone says something mean to you, say lalalalalala, if you're getting bullied. That means physical harm is the only bullying that really counts as bullying, innit? But that's not true.

The term "cyber bullying" most pertains to teens or preteens, children who are not fully matured, not the most reason-oriented creatures, not emotionally secure, vulnerable to manipultion, and trying very hard for social and peer acceptance and interaction in a time in life when kids are beginning to get mean, when hormones kick in, and the products of sour childhoods fruit.

More and more, the line separating physical community and online interaction is nearly nonexistent, especially in today's youth. Cyber bullying is more than a stranger saying something mean in a twitch chat, it can be classmates' words through all avenues of social media and through instant messaging. Sure, accounts and numbers can be blocked but the message gets through. And alternate accounts can be made, we know that. The facade of impersonality the internet affords makes bullying easier. It's more prevalent online. The victim doesn't want to be ostracized or to ostracize themselves. Shutting off internet contact has just this effect.

Ok, so what if the topic at hand is not about teenagers but about us, here, somewhat functioning adults?

You can walk away from a screen but not from a community. If interaction within the community means interaction with the bully, then removing yourself from the screen means removing yourself from meaningful human interaction with others. The bully/troll/whatever has a disproportionate amount of power. It's hardly "how is cyber bullying real?"

And I mentioned this already but I'll expand: the intent gets through. It has to get through for one to know to block another, to turn off the screen. It's the knowledge that's the real kicker. It's the knowledge that some classmates dislike you so much they actively act on their feelings of contempt, or that any person might. Sure, there's "don't care what they think" but that's not really good advice -- difficult in practice if the personal ties are there.

Im not saying you shouldn't block bullies online, you really should, and lord knows I do. But it's realllllyyyyy not as cut and dry as Tyler makes it out to be. Community exists outside of the physical now, in an environment that is more conducive to malice. These remarks affect teens and preteens especially, who are vulnerable and deserve a right to have their internet too.

It's a bit of both sides: victims need to learn to take remarks with as high a head they can and people should be less mean. Of course people won't be less mean so people, again namely children, must learn how to act appropriately when this sort of thing happens, and that's best done with a mindset of understanding and empathy not "lol just walk away, idiot."

What Tyler is really saying, and I don't believe I'm misrepresenting his point when I say this, is to just not care. It's accurate to say that remarks from personal connections are more difficult to ignore than impersonal connections. Perhaps he thinks online interaction is inherently impersonal, or that personal, physical ties and connections can't or don't exist online, but that is a mistake. At that point the distinction between internet and in-person has very little to do with it. And so you could just as much tell anyone anywhere getting bullied to simply not care, and that's just what we do tell them, because that's about all that can be done, but it's really not effective, is it? So this tweet just goes about it in the worst way possible, and, dare I say, has this effect: somppu feel vindicate when somppu say meany-poo thing :(
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

wardyb1 wrote:
deleted_user wrote:

You can always "walk away". But fact of the matter is, the bullies are wrong. They're the ones that have to stop or otherwise have to be stopped. Because that's exactly what bullying intends to achieve in the end, to remove a person from the social scene, either by ridiculing them to a point where they become invisible as a person, and only present as an object of ridicule, or to the point where they are actually removed from the scene, either by their own volition, forcefully (to protect themselves or others from harm), or in the most extreme cases, by suicide. Saying that they ought to walk away is essentially a form of blaming the victim.

Obviously, people should harness themselves against negative stimuli, and they shouldn't start breaking down whenever someone makes just one negative comment. But there's a difference between that, which is essentially an isolated event, and constant bullying, which isn't only constant in occurrence but also constant in that it involves pretty much all people in the social environment, either as perpetrators or as passive bystanders. Besides, there are situations you simply just can't walk away from that easily. It's true that the internet can be considered as a place where it should be relatively easy to walk away from, and in a sense, that's true. It should be much easier to walk away from social media, even quitting entirely, than it is to walk away from home or school (especially as a kid, who has no say in these matters). But at the same time, the internet is way more present as well, and way easier to access, and way harder to control/patrol. And with internet being something that has such a fundamental presence in most people's lives, can you honestly say that we can walk away from it? Most people can't even ignore a message on their phone for 5 minutes, let alone put down their phone for 5 minutes.

Just walking away doesn't even always fix the problem. Sometimes they will follow you wherever you go. IRL, to beat you up, online, they will find whatever forum/app you go to next, and troll you there. It happens. Or, they will just continue even when you are gone. They create or share funny pictures of you, or in some cases, intimate or nude pics, or tell lies about you. Whether you are there or not to see it, doesnt really matter. Obviously, if these people would just be random people on a forum that you have never met, it's not THAT big of a deal, but usually they are people you know from elsewhere, who just choose to bully you online (sometimes in addition to offline). Imagine if you know people are saying mean shit about you, can you walk away from that? Most adults can't even do that, it takes a damn strong personality to do that. You can't really expect children or teens to do this, especially not when their entire lives they've been taught to value the opinion of others over their own.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by wardyb1 »

I agree that intent is the real kicker quite often and that blocking doesn't get rid of that feeling of being unwanted/hated etc. However there are only 2 real things that can be done. Teaching everyone to be better to each other is probably worthwhile however I'd argue it might also be a fruitless endeavour knowing how most people behave it everyday life. So we are back to seeing how we can best help those who are being bullied. So our other option which is most likely to not escalate the situation is to teach people to ignore/block/pest those who attack others online. Most people bully for the kick out of it or the attention. Deny them this and quite often the problem does go away as teenagers get bored/they will find other people to target.

All in all I'm still unconvinced that the premise of tyler's tweet isn't true. How does someone online get cyber bullied to a serious degree if they simply walk away or block all those who harass them? If that question can be answered I think I'd be convinced. Is walking away not the most effective strategy? You don't get let out of a facebook group if you block someone. You don't get left out of eso-c if you block someone. I don't know I just feel that it is an effective strategy and tyler sums it up pretty well. It's a tweet, it isn't nuanced nut that's not the point. It gets the point across though.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I'm not disagreeing with the sentiment that blocking or walking away is a good thing to do. It definitely mitigates, yeah. I'm mostly disagreeing with the "how can cyber bullying even be real" part. Just the idea that one has to stop what they are doing because of another, that's power, and that's real, and it's a bit of a problem.

I'm not even thinking of the many terrible degrees to which this happens that umeu brought up. Alternatively you can ask, "People literally kill themselves over cyber bullying. How isn't it a problem?"
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by wardyb1 »

deleted_user wrote:I'm not disagreeing with the sentiment that blocking or walking away is a good thing to do. It definitely mitigates, yeah. I'm mostly disagreeing with the "how can cyber bullying even be real." Just the idea that one has to stop what they are doing because of another, that's power, and that's real, and it's a problem.

Agreed on that front that it is power and that the problem. Unfortunately I'd just say the world isn't all that great a place and unfortunately it isn't really fair. Bad people ruin good things for good people and we have to put up with it to a certain degree. I wish it was different but until it is what can we do? Anyway I think I get what your'e saying so I'll leave it there to semi-agree on the issue.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

wardyb1 wrote:
deleted_user wrote:I'm not disagreeing with the sentiment that blocking or walking away is a good thing to do. It definitely mitigates, yeah. I'm mostly disagreeing with the "how can cyber bullying even be real." Just the idea that one has to stop what they are doing because of another, that's power, and that's real, and it's a problem.

Agreed on that front that it is power and that the problem. Unfortunately I'd just say the world isn't all that great a place and unfortunately it isn't really fair. Bad people ruin good things for good people and we have to put up with it to a certain degree. I wish it was different but until it is what can we do? Anyway I think I get what your'e saying so I'll leave it there to semi-agree on the issue.

The only thing you can do is to actively try to make it different. Letting perpetrators get away with crimes has never lead to any change, so doing nothing at least is very obviously not the answer. Of course, the problem is, then what is?