Is our community toxic?

This is for discussions about the community, players, forum games, grudge matches, memes and everything else related to ESOC and its members.

Is our community toxic?

No
18%
Yes
22%
Some individuals are
60%

Total votes: 78

Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Re: Is our community toxic?

Post by wardyb1 »

umeu wrote:
wardyb1 wrote:
deleted_user wrote:I'm not disagreeing with the sentiment that blocking or walking away is a good thing to do. It definitely mitigates, yeah. I'm mostly disagreeing with the "how can cyber bullying even be real." Just the idea that one has to stop what they are doing because of another, that's power, and that's real, and it's a problem.

Agreed on that front that it is power and that the problem. Unfortunately I'd just say the world isn't all that great a place and unfortunately it isn't really fair. Bad people ruin good things for good people and we have to put up with it to a certain degree. I wish it was different but until it is what can we do? Anyway I think I get what your'e saying so I'll leave it there to semi-agree on the issue.

The only thing you can do is to actively try to make it different. Letting perpetrators get away with crimes has never lead to any change, so doing nothing at least is very obviously not the answer. Of course, the problem is, then what is?

Can you charge kids over minor or major forms of cyber bullying? Probably not until it gets super serious. So you go to the platform that they are being bullied on. Facebook/Twitter etc have previously shown to have rather arbertrary rules and often disregard legitimate claims while shutting down honest people. Maybe in a small community like this you could but if we are speaking generally then that's unlikely. And even then without IP blocking, people will just make new accounts, so once again this probably isn't a good solution. Ok so they are teenagers lets say, well maybe if they are at the same school we can try and punish the bullies through this avenue and engaging with them in person. However unless the punishment is extreme, in my experience I've only see this encourage the bullies as it gives them the attention they thrive on and as a result hurts the bullied even more.
As a society are we willing to not charge people with a crime per se but allow courts to block people from the internet or phones or whatever over cyber bullying? Once again it would probably need to a very serious case to go down that path and is probably much too authoritarian for my liking.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

I think it should start at home and in schools. In most cases, cyber bullying doesn't happen in a vacuum, and it's not random people on the internet that don't get along, but it's people who you know from somewhere else. School, neighborhood, sports, etc. I personally don't think that's up to providers of the space where cyber bullying occurs to take a stance, although, if they can facilitate against it, it would be nice if they did so without using too rigorous methods. But simply trivializing the matter isn't the right approach, imo.
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

somppukunkku wrote:Image
My response when @Dolan initially posted that pic: viewtopic.php?f=314&t=11389&p=240663#p240663

Additionally, bullying doesn't just affect the one being bullied. It also affects the one who is doing the bullying. They feel that they have "won" and have gained additional power. It also affects those who witness the bullying. It normalizes it and people become less sensitive to it. Blaming the victim is easy. People tend to believe in a just world - good people are rewarded, bad people are punished. Thus, seeing someone being bullied, particularly if you don't really know them, people tend to put some blame on that individual. "Why don't they just ignore it?" "Maybe they deserve it." An individual who is bullied has their personal power slowly stripped away and over time, they begin to take on those same victim blaming thoughts and they then blame themselves. Some people are more susceptible to this than others.

Telling people to just "walk away", "close your eyes" is irresponsible because it's putting the blame on people who are being bullied. A better approach is to remind people that we are all people who just happen to be interacting via our computers and the internet. Anonymity is both a blessing and a curse.

In any case, I don't feel that we have a problem with bullies in our community. I think that some people may dabble in that sort of behavior once in a while, but overall, bullying isn't much of a concern here.

I don't mind going off on tangents, particularly since I find tangents to often be mentally stimulating, but I also would really like to read what people's thoughts are regarding toxic behavior - what do you think it is?, should it be dealt with?, etc
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
No Flag thebritish
Jaeger

Post by thebritish »

Bullying only happens when the bullied one does nothing to stop the bullying. A 5'0'' guy can bully a 6'0'' guy if the 6'0'' guy lacks the courage to use force to defend himself. You cant successfully bully me if i use everything in my power to stop you from doing anything to me.

Bullies dont fight, they try to intimidate their victims thru other means (like being physical enough with the victim to scare him, but not enough physical to gain the attention of others; ). If you dont want to be bullied in real life you need to have certain rules that others need to abide by.

For example: 1 meter around me is my personal space. getting inside my personal space means you are being aggressive and you are trying to hurt me physically.
To aggression, i am gonna respond with aggression (hitting the perpetrator's throat with a knife hand). Once you knock out a few guys after they tried to invade your privacy, others will learn about your 1 meter rule and will start abiding by it.
The way most school rules about fights work, he is not getting away without a punishment from the school for trying to invade your privacy (if there is a punishment). (for a conflict, atleast 2 people are needed which means at worst, both of you will be punished).
krichk wrote: For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge thebritish
Bavaria Gichtenlord
Howdah
Donator 03

Post by Gichtenlord »

Holy shit, I dont wanna be next to you in a club
r]
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

So we can teach people not to be bullied, but we cant teach people not to bully?? Hmmm
No Flag Radix_Lecti
Dragoon

Post by Radix_Lecti »

autists...sigh
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

Radix_Lecti wrote:autists...sigh

:hmm: