Rejected By Uni

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Great Britain InsectPoison
Lancer

Rejected By Uni

Post by InsectPoison »

So recently i found out i will not be studying where i wanted to as i am not smart enough, what should i do? Any tips?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Re: Rejected By Uni

Post by Goodspeed »

Drugs
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

The knowledge is the same regardless of your location. Unless you're legally obligated to have a diploma (e.g. doctor, lawyer), university is vastly overrated - and you're likely to be better off studying on your own anyway (assuming you care for the subject).
Pay more attention to detail.
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

Gendarme wrote:The knowledge is the same regardless of your location. Unless you're legally obligated to have a diploma (e.g. doctor, lawyer), university is vastly overrated - and you're likely to be better off studying on your own anyway (assuming you care for the subject).

Sadly my parents would not accept that as an answer, im totally screwed.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Gendarme wrote:The knowledge is the same regardless of your location. Unless you're legally obligated to have a diploma (e.g. doctor, lawyer), university is vastly overrated - and you're likely to be better off studying on your own anyway (assuming you care for the subject).

hint: even cleaning requires a diploma these days. don't listen to his advice!
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

InsectPoison wrote:So recently i found out i will not be studying where i wanted to as i am not smart enough, what should i do? Any tips?

apply for multiple universities
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

InsectPoison wrote:So recently i found out i will not be studying where i wanted to as i am not smart enough, what should i do? Any tips?

change your preference of location. didn't you have a plan b? or step it up and make sure you meet the requirements. a friend of mine didn't get into med school, his grades weren't high enough to be accepted straight away, and the places that were granted by lottery, he didnt' have any luck 2 years in a row. So he decided to go to evening school to get his grades up, but he didn't make it. So he had to accept that fact and move on. he's now happy doing something else. Don't know if he's perfectly happy, but he's atleast far from miserable and doing something else he likes.
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

There's more university places than ever this year, check your options in clearing. There's a good chance there's something of interest.

Edit: Also more importantly phone your main choice right now and pitch them why you should still go, it's possible they didn't get all their places filled. Even if they did you can be flexible with your course and inquire about similar/joint courses they might still have spaces for. Next step is to look on clearing and phone every other course there you might qualify for.
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

Did you apply to other universities? I don't think employers care that much about where you did your studies as long as it's a respectable institution. You can also work for a year and reapply next year if you really want that university.
India gh0st
Lancer
ESO: gh0st007

Post by gh0st »

If plan A dint work, go for B,C... unless you get something you'r ok with.
Also, be more concerned with what you want to study, instead of where and you should be good to go.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

umeu wrote:

hint: even cleaning requires a diploma these days. don't listen to his advice!
You're right if you're going to be average (two average Joes one with a diploma and the other one without is a no-brainer), but I think by studying on your own you learn much more than by following the university course plan if you are disciplined enough to actually do it - as long as you are neither practically (if resources are unavailable outside of the university) nor legally (e.g. practicing medicine) required to go to university.
Pay more attention to detail.
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

Yeah my advice is basically the same, applying only for one uni is just cocky af and you only have slim chances of getting in if you're not the best mark-wise. Apply at as many unis as possible and maybe even make compromises at the subject since it's easier to change subjects if you're already studying at that uni than applying completely anew as an outsider.

If nothing works then just take a hiatus and try again next semester (or year), find some light work until then. The world won't crumble just because you didn't get into your first choice Uni.
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

jesus3 wrote:Yeah my advice is basically the same, applying only for one uni is just cocky af and you only have slim chances of getting in if you're not the best mark-wise. Apply at as many unis as possible and maybe even make compromises at the subject since it's easier to change subjects if you're already studying at that uni than applying completely anew as an outsider.

If nothing works then just take a hiatus and try again next semester (or year), find some light work until then. The world won't crumble just because you didn't get into your first choice Uni.

I applied to 5 unis and got rejected by all, maybe i am not good enough for Uni and should go another route.
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

WickedCossack wrote:There's more university places than ever this year, check your options in clearing. There's a good chance there's something of interest.

Edit: Also more importantly phone your main choice right now and pitch them why you should still go, it's possible they didn't get all their places filled. Even if they did you can be flexible with your course and inquire about similar/joint courses they might still have spaces for. Next step is to look on clearing and phone every other course there you might qualify for.

Thanks, doing this right now.
Turkey Mameluke
Dragoon
ESO: Mameluké

Post by Mameluke »

lordraphael wrote:

apply for multiple universitys

your English is almost as bad as your APM - Kappa
If you see any mistakes in my grammar/vocabulary or whatever, please correct me. I really appreciate it :!: :flowers:
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Depending on your career choice, what college you studied at can indeed make or break your job prospects. E.g. law,, if you go to a second-rate place, forget about getting a good job. But if your goal is just to make a lot of money, then you don't need a degree. You are better off just working now, living pretty frugally, and saving up as much money as possible, and investing it in very profitable ventures. Within 4 years you'll be on the way to financial self-sufficiency, while college graduates will be dirt poor with no savings or job experience.

But my guess is this is too unconventional for most people, so your parents' fear will cause them to pressure you into doing what everyone else doing, even if it isn't the wisest thing to do.

I await Umeo's insults.
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

InsectPoison wrote:
jesus3 wrote:Yeah my advice is basically the same, applying only for one uni is just cocky af and you only have slim chances of getting in if you're not the best mark-wise. Apply at as many unis as possible and maybe even make compromises at the subject since it's easier to change subjects if you're already studying at that uni than applying completely anew as an outsider.

I applied to 5 unis and got rejected by all, maybe i am not good enough for Uni and should go another route.

dude, when I applied for Uni the first time I applied to 9 and expected neither of those to take me since it was a huge gamble, 9 is still a low number with mediocre high school marks (not to mention only 5). Just keep applying for more, seriously. Also, getting rejected by an Uni doesn't mean you're too dumb or sth like that, it just means there were many others with slightly better marks and/or luck than you. You will find an Uni that accepts you eventually.
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

jesus3 wrote:
InsectPoison wrote:

dude, when I applied for Uni the first time I applied to 9 and expected neither of those to take me since it was a huge gamble, 9 is still a low number with mediocre high school marks (not to mention only 5). Just keep applying for more, seriously. Also, getting rejected by an Uni doesn't mean you're too dumb or sth like that, it just means there were many others with slightly better marks and/or luck than you. You will find an Uni that accepts you eventually.

Thanks Jesus, your words mean a lot.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

lejend wrote:Depending on your career choice, what college you studied at can indeed make or break your job prospects. E.g. law,, if you go to a second-rate place, forget about getting a good job. But if your goal is just to make a lot of money, then you don't need a degree. You are better off just working now, living pretty frugally, and saving up as much money as possible, and investing it in very profitable ventures. Within 4 years you'll be on the way to financial self-sufficiency, while college graduates will be dirt poor with no savings or job experience.

But my guess is this is too unconventional for most people, so your parents' fear will cause them to pressure you into doing what everyone else doing, even if it isn't the wisest thing to do.

I await Umeo's insults.

Yes, how did that work out for you lejend?

Weve already had this conversation before, not interested to have it again with you. You ignore everything you don't have an answer for.
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

I agree that the only way to be - very - wealthy is through entrepreneurship. Devoting time to build businesses until you succeed; learning coding, marketing and advertising on internet sounds like a good plan if you want to skip college. At least that's what I would do. It requires hard work, consistency and patience (i.e not expecting consistent cash flow until a few years, while staying motivated). Keep in mind that most wealthy entrepreneurs do come from top schools/have connections, which helps a lot when funding is needed. However while it's in my opinion the best way to learn a lot and become rich, it's also the best way to fail, do nothing with your life and waste the few savings you have.

Besides, only applying to 5 colleges wasn't smart, not sure how it works in the UK but if it was in the US I would say go to any community college/uni you can get into, get a first (4.0) and transfer after a year (if that's even a thing in uk which idk). If you didn't get in any of your 5 schools, it means your numbers weren't solid enough, so a gap year won't do the trick - then again, I don't even know which criteria uk unis use for undergraduates. Never heard about the cold calling technique but wickedcossack advice seems to be worth a try.

regarding lejend's plans: working now with a high school diploma means very few savings early, and I'm not sure what investing in "very profitable ventures" means but that sounds cool
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

InsectPoison wrote:
WickedCossack wrote:There's more university places than ever this year, check your options in clearing. There's a good chance there's something of interest.

Thanks, doing this right now.

Have you considered retaking your A Levels? Most Russell Group unis will still consider applicants with re-sits. Depending on your grades this might be the best option.
Top quality poster.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

regarding lejend's plans: working now with a high school diploma means very few savings early, and I'm not sure what investing in "very profitable ventures" means but that sounds cool

I am assuming most living expenses will be taken care of by parents/govt/whatever. You need only around a few thousand dollars to get started, and it snowballs from there.

benj89 wrote:I agree that the only way to be - very - wealthy is through entrepreneurship. Devoting time to build businesses until you succeed; learning coding, marketing and advertising on internet sounds like a good plan if you want to skip college. At least that's what I would do. It requires hard work, consistency and patience (i.e not expecting consistent cash flow until a few years, while staying motivated). Keep in mind that most wealthy entrepreneurs do come from top schools/have connections, which helps a lot when funding is needed. However while it's in my opinion the best way to learn a lot and become rich, it's also the best way to fail, do nothing with your life and waste the few savings you have.

Well entrepreneurship isn't the only type of investment. It has a high rate of failure, but I'd argue it's less risky than relying on a job or the government this century. But you're right that I'm talking about delaying gratification, being creative, taking big risks and really educating yourself.

Otherwise you can be like everyone else: take few risks but accomplish few things. It's that fear of failure and standing out that keeps people in mediocrity, and away from success.
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

benj89 wrote:Besides, only applying to 5 colleges wasn't smart, not sure how it works in the UK but if it was in the US I would say go to any community college/uni you can get into, get a first (4.0) and transfer after a year (if that's even a thing in uk which idk). If you didn't get in any of your 5 schools, it means your numbers weren't solid enough, so a gap year won't do the trick - then again, I don't even know which criteria uk unis use for undergraduates. Never heard about the cold calling technique but wickedcossack advice seems to be worth a try.

It sounds like it is indeed very different. Here you have a first choice and one back-up (ideally with lower grades should your first choice fail) which are selected well before you get your results. If you get the grades on results day that they asked for you get in. If you miss your back-up you go into a process called clearing where you essentially call every university and ask if you can come. :biggrin:
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

lejend wrote:I am assuming most living expenses will be taken care of by parents/govt/whatever. You need only around a few thousand dollars to get started, and it snowballs from there.

Oh. Youre assuming. I thought you were speaking from experience. How naive of me.

Well entrepreneurship isn't the only type of investment. It has a high rate of failure, but I'd argue it's less risky than relying on a job or the government this century. But you're right that I'm talking about delaying gratification, being creative, taking big risks and really educating yourself.

A bunch of big empty words formed into a sentence. Are you sure you didnt study?

Otherwise you can be like everyone else: take few risks but accomplish few things. It's that fear of failure and standing out that keeps people in mediocrity, and away from success.

And why do you specifically crave for this success?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

lejend wrote:
I am assuming most living expenses will be taken care of by parents/govt/whatever
Rich parents confirmed