So I have a cockroach infestation

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.

What should I do regarding the cockroaches?

Allow the exterminator's poison to continue working (he is coming back once a month presumably forever)
No votes
Caulk up the gaps to prevent new ones from coming (these first two are not mutually exclusive tbh)
8%
Burn the fucking house down
26%
Refuse to pay the landlord rent because there are fucking cockroaches
8%
Wipe away the poison and try to form a positive relationship with the cockroaches (for example, they could be convinced to defend the house against possible intruders)
18%
Leave some dead roaches on the counter to scare new ones from appearing
No votes
Lock my cats in the kitchen and order them to hunt down any cockroaches they see
5%
Yell at the landlord again because seriously this is ridiculous
24%
Well?
11%

Total votes: 38

Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Re: So I have a cockroach infestation

Post by gibson »

Daddys Soul Doughnut wrote:Today is your lucky day. Just use combat max roach gel. One tube of this stuff is all you need. Place some gel in areas of infestation and within a couple days your roach problem will be gone.

It tastes like a super tasty snack to the roach and doesn't kill them until hours after they eat it. So later they die back in their nest. The poison is so potent that any roach that nibbles on the dead roach (a guaranteed touch behavior) will also die.

I hate roaches. This stuff works miracles though. Never seen it fail.
Im half mast
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Update: The exterminator is coming back in a little over a week but I no longer see any roaches, alive or dead. The kitchen is clean!
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

Yea! Bashment ppls health is safe again
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

Opening turkish consulate in your house could help
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

So the exterminator sprayed again like a week ago, and at that point I hadn't seen any roaches in weeks. However just minutes ago I saw another one! I would say it was small-to-medium sized.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

fightinfrenchman wrote:So the exterminator sprayed again like a week ago, and at that point I hadn't seen any roaches in weeks. However just minutes ago I saw another one! I would say it was small-to-medium sized.

Eat the bodies of your enemies to absorb their strength and swing the balance of energy two fold.
Argentina AraGun
Lancer
ESO: AraGun_OP

Post by AraGun »

You cant blame your landlord for this.. He didnt invite them over for dinner (you did by leaving crumbs out) cockroaches have been around before humans, and there are more of them than us. You will never fully be rid of them. They will out survive humanity.
No Flag ProjectW
Musketeer
ESO: ProjectW

Post by ProjectW »

AraGun wrote:You cant blame your landlord for this.. He didnt invite them over for dinner (you did by leaving crumbs out) cockroaches have been around before humans, and there are more of them than us. You will never fully be rid of them. They will out survive humanity.

Spoken like a shitty landlord.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

You need to introduce species that will eat the roaches. Iguana and toad for example.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

AraGun wrote:You cant blame your landlord for this.. He didnt invite them over for dinner (you did by leaving crumbs out) cockroaches have been around before humans, and there are more of them than us. You will never fully be rid of them. They will out survive humanity.

The exterminator said this species is attracted to water actually, and due to our dumbass upstairs neighbors who have let things overflow and leak down into our apartment there is water in the wallsh, so in that sense the landlord has some responsibility. I'm sure there is mold too but I don't want it to get tested as I would be forced to take refuge somewhere else.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

So we haven't had any issues with the roaches in a while however ants have started to appear, probably slipped through "the cracks" of the recently reinstalled window A/c unit. The exterminator just came and I told him about the ants. He laughed and didn't offer any help. After he left a single ant crawled across the counter in a taunting way
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Throw your trash away and clean up your food, pig.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

fightinfrenchman wrote:So we haven't had any issues with the roaches in a while however ants have started to appear, probably slipped through "the cracks" of the recently reinstalled window A/c unit. The exterminator just came and I told him about the ants. He laughed and didn't offer any help. After he left a single ant crawled across the counter in a taunting way

Ants can get in just about any building. If you don't clean your house properly, you will have ants.

One time I threw a weekend of parties and then on sunday wanted to clean the house. The staints of booze on the floor had attracted quite the colony of ants (they seemed somewhat drunk tbh). To get rid of them, I just took out the vacuum cleaner and vacuumed them, then cleaned the house and done. ez.
India gh0st
Lancer
ESO: gh0st007

Post by gh0st »

Call the pest control guys. Just make sure those guys don't cook meth in your absence yo.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

deleted_user wrote:Throw your trash away and clean up your food, pig.

I didn't see any loose food, but perhaps the ants are attracted to dead cockroaches in the wallsh
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
deleted_user wrote:Throw your trash away and clean up your food, pig.

I didn't see any loose food, but perhaps the ants are attracted to dead cockroaches in the wallsh

Actually very plausible. Ants definitely eat meat. When I'd go camping with my parents we'd often end up with ants attacking our refrigerator as it wouldn't lock properly. Weirdly enough, out of all substances to choose for, they'd always end up going for the ham.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Just found out it was actually my dad's coffee machine, they wanted the water in it. That may have been what led the roaches here as well.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

So, despite monthly visits from the exterminator, I just saw another damn "roach." It was in the bathroom as opposed to the kitchen this time, leading credence to the exterminator's suggestion that this type of roach is attracted to water rather than food. Either way, I'll be sure to tell him about it next time.
United States of America Hidddy_
Retired Contributor
ESO: Hidalgito

Post by Hidddy_ »

Well perhaps they are coming in from the outside and you have a crack that is letting them in :hmm:
De Funk
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Hidddy_ wrote:Well perhaps they are coming in from the outside and you have a crack that is letting them in :hmm:

Well we sealed the cracks in the kitchen, didn't check the bathroom though. There's only one window and I don't see any nice roach openings in it
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Hidddy_ wrote:Well perhaps they are coming in from the outside and you have a crack that is letting them in :hmm:

Well we sealed the cracks in the kitchen, didn't check the bathroom though. There's only one window and I don't see any nice roach openings in it

When I had a roach problem the exterminator didn't spray, he put out what he called "bait". It was just little drops of a paste he had. After a few days, I saw the cockoroaches behaving eratically (running in circles), being slower, and more reaction time. And after about 2 weeks I never saw one again. They guy put the bait behind the over and fridge; he said they like warm places because that's where they like to lay their eggs.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Make tanks and maraudeurs to counter roaches. You might need to wall, build a few bunkers and train a banshee if he goes full all in.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

My house is clean and I never found any insect in here
No Flag Radix_Lecti
Dragoon

Post by Radix_Lecti »

I live 10 stories high and even I got creepy crawlies, you just didn't look in the right spots.
United States of America Hidddy_
Retired Contributor
ESO: Hidalgito

Post by Hidddy_ »

ovi12 wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:

When I had a roach problem the exterminator didn't spray, he put out what he called "bait". It was just little drops of a paste he had. After a few days, I saw the cockoroaches behaving eratically (running in circles), being slower, and more reaction time. And after about 2 weeks I never saw one again. They guy put the bait behind the over and fridge; he said they like warm places because that's where they like to lay their eggs.

That makes sense, my dad always told me to watch out for roaches near appliances and in the bathroom. Plus there's a good amount of surface area in our homes that's covered up which insects use to survive.

Also forgot to mention, I purchased one of those wall outlet anti-roach devices and it's worked pretty well for me. Maybe you can also try this? @fightinfrenchman
De Funk