The curious case of the atheist detective

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Re: The curious case of the atheist detective

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

I wish more people would be satisfied with that @vardar
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

I think this adequately describes most atheists (antitheists) today. Really makes you think.

phpBB [video]
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

the original post is correct but how they got to the conclusion is incorrect. The detective couldn't determine the murderer bc since he doesnt believe in god he can't believe in anything, he has no moral compass, and he does actually believe in God, he's just mad at God bc of the death of his wife.
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

triggered
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Why don't you make the OP closer to reality? The detective arrives on the scene, and he finds 30 people, all who swear that an invisible man pushed Jones off the cliff. Yet they all disagree on the time of death, on what the invisible man said, and even on the invisible man's name. This invisible guy is supposed to be super nice/strong/knowledgable, but he pushed Jones anyway.

Furthermore, the 30 people have a big incentive to believe the invisible guy did it, since they would feel really unfomfortable if they knew it was one of them who did it.

This is barely scratching the surface.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

Militant atheists are just as annoying as militant christians or whatever. Anyone should be allowed believe in what they want as long as they keep it for themselves. While christians can't provide proof that God exist, neither atheists can provide proof that God does not exist. It's simply a dead end. It's a personal matter whether to accept testimony or to refuse it as proof of something actually happening/existing. And even when i am the one witnessing X phenomenon, i simply become another witness whose word is as valid any other witness on the planet. One more reason to keep what i have seen for myself as everyone else has the right not to believe me.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

gamevideo113 wrote:Militant atheists are just as annoying as militant christians or whatever. Anyone should be allowed believe in what they want as long as they keep it for themselves. While christians can't provide proof that God exist, neither atheists can provide proof that God does not exist. It's simply a dead end.
if something is a valid belief simply because it cannot be disproven than any belief is a valid belief
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

Well some beliefs can be disproven, but for those that can't, yeah, i could believe that outside the milky way there is a galaxy that contains a planet that is fully and exclusively inhabited by donkeys. No one can tell me my belief is invalid since no one has seen every planet in the universe. Pretty paradoxal
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

I can tell you, and I will. Nothing paradoxal there.
Pay more attention to detail.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

gamevideo113 wrote:Well some beliefs can be disproven, but for those that can't, yeah, i could believe that outside the milky way there is a galaxy that contains a planet that is fully and exclusively inhabited by donkeys. No one can tell me my belief is invalid since no one has seen every planet in the universe. Pretty paradoxal
name a belief that can be disproven
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

gamevideo113 wrote:It's a personal matter whether to accept testimony or to refuse it as proof of something actually happening/existing. And even when i am the one witnessing X phenomenon, i simply become another witness whose word is as valid any other witness on the planet. One more reason to keep what i have seen for myself as everyone else has the right not to believe me.

Right, but Christianity commands evangelism. If you keep it to yourself then what's the point? The entire point is to share it.

Matthew 28
18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

Imagine how many hopeless and desperate people are waiting for it. Here's just one example.
Kyrgyzstan AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE
Lancer
ESO: dats my secret

Post by AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE »

its like kamy_ryu said, 500 years ago 30 people said the earth is flat and one (Nikolas Kopernikus) said it isnt.

as a guy who believes in god and jesus, sorry dude, that doesnt seem like a valid argument.

it is a weird thing that in whatever times humans lived, most of them seem to believe that their knowledge is definitve. like, after a cpl hundreds years of science and exploration (what a short amount of time to the compared 13-14 billion years the universe is (supossedly) old), we think that we know "most" or everything? we know nothing...
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

gibson wrote:name a belief that can be disproven

The earth is flat? GMO food causes cancer? God created the universe as it is in 7 days (obv it's metaphorical but i think some people believe it is what actually happened)? You can name as many as you want.

lejend wrote:Right, but Christianity commands evangelism. If you keep it to yourself then what's the point? The entire point is to share it.

Sorry, my english is bad. By "keep it for themselves" i meant that you shouldn't force anyone to believe what you believe if they don't. Obviously peaceful discussion is always healthy and fruitful.

AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE wrote:it is a weird thing that in whatever times humans lived, most of them seem to believe that their knowledge is definitve. like, after a cpl hundreds years of science and exploration (what a short amount of time to the compared 13-14 billion years the universe is (supossedly) old), we think that we know "most" or everything? we know nothing...

It actually isn't weird, humans are afraid of the unknown. It's in our nature to try to find a cause for everything that happens and we always end up sticking with what we like the most until some guy comes up with a better theory. Sadly we are also quite stubborn, so even when someone knows better than us we are suspicious and we struggle to believe him, at least initially.
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

@gamevideo113 How come you can disprove the claim that the Earth is flat but you cannot disprove the claim that Santa Claus is real? (And if you actually can disprove that Santa Claus is real, how come you can not disprove that Thor, Vishnu, or Allah is real?)
Pay more attention to detail.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

@Gendarme Those things you just mentioned are quite different from each other. You have scientific evidence that the earth is round but no one did a scientific research on the existence of santa claus since i believe anyone knows that it is a fictional character. But anyway i think that in order to prove that santa claus exists you would have to actually find him and take a picture or whatever since he is supposed to be a man living on the north pole(?), so it should be technically possible to prove his existence, while Thor, Vishnu or Allah are not meant to live on this planet and they are not said to appear every now and then. As i already said, some beliefs can be disproven while others can't (unfortunately, it would be pretty darn cool to know if God actually exists or not).
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Australia Pseudo-ku
Crossbow
ESO: Pseudoku

Post by Pseudo-ku »

But Smith confessed?
Pseudo-ku#8217 on discord
/id/iampseudo on Steam

always available
hit me up anytime for