Visiting The Netherlands

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Re: Visiting The Netherlands

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

BrookG wrote:means of transport, apart from bike?

??
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

How do trains, subway, buses etc work? @Mr_Bramboy
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

BrookG wrote:How do trains, subway, buses etc work? @Mr_Bramboy

They're pretty bad for tourists, unfortunately. Individual tickets are expensive. Instead of that, you need a chip ("OV Chipkaart") which is quite expensive if you're only here for a few days.
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

I will be studying for a year, so the chip would work for me.
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Singapore milku3459
Howdah
ESO: milku3459

Post by milku3459 »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
vardar wrote:1. What are some popular hostels or places to stay that have good vibes and a solid location for a traveler?

I have no idea. I don't ever stay in a hotel in Amsterdam. You should search a hotel within your budget online.

vardar wrote:2. I am an avid food enthusiast and enjoy checking out cool restaurants and cafes that are unique and ofc, have good prices. If there are any good places, I am all for checking them out

Dutch food is great, though we're extremely multicultural (especially Amsterdam!) so you'll find food of any kind here. I personally love Turkish and Chinese food, but you can find anything here. Funnily enough, we have some of the best Chinese, Indian (after Britain), and Italian restaurants here.

Traditional Dutch food? This might belong in a new thread but I'll give it a try.

[spoiler=Dutch Food]
  1. Image
    Bitterballen -- One of my favorites. Usually eaten a few hours before dinner with a few beers, these fried crispy meatballs will be one of the best things you're ever going to eat. Bitterballen are traditionally served with mustard. You can find these at any cafe or pub.
  2. Image
    Stroopwafels -- Stroopwafels are a type of waffles with syrup in between them. You can find these in any market or bakery.
  3. Image
    Belgian Frites -- Belgium is basically a Dutch province, don't let the fake news media tell you otherwise. You can find these anywhere in the city. Belgian frites are much better than the American or French variants.
  4. Image
    Broodje Herring -- Not my personal favorite, as I dislike fish. But it is a Dutch specialty, which you should definitely try. You can find these in any fish stand in the city.
  5. Image
    Kibbeling -- Fried fish. Amazing. Try it. Fish stand @ city.
.. and much more, I might create a thread later lol.

See more here http://www.iamsterdam.com/en/visiting/w ... -amsterdam[/spoiler]

vardar wrote:3. Cliche sounding but what are some solid places to check out? Anything history, art, recreational is fair game for checking out. I am not limited to just Amsterdam and plan to visit elsewhere

Rijksmuseum, Stedelijk Museum, Anne Frank House, Hermitage, Amsterdam Museum, Van Gogh Museum, Scheepsvaartmuseum ("Maritime Museum"), Rembrandt Museum.

All of these are in Amsterdam. You can visit any city in the country and get back within a day. We're not that big.

vardar wrote:4. Fourth and most importantly, what are some awesome places for running? Trails, parks or anything else suitable is what I'm going for. This is probably what I am most excited about, being able to run and see some awesome new stuff

The Vondelpark in Amsterdam is pretty big and ideal for running. You'll be able to find plenty of parks, though.

dammit bram now im hungery
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

kami_ryu wrote:
XeeleeFlower wrote:drink milk!

Word. Don't need to be in NL to do that though.

PS I like to bitch when KSooper/Kroger closes from 0000 to 0500, NL sounds terrible if they don't open before noon, damn

Actually I prefer Dutch milk over the milk in the USA.

Restaurants differ quite a lot from the USA. On the top of my head, I can think of a few differences. For example, in the Netherlands (Europe in general) servers only take your plate once everyone at the table has finished eating. You'll never be asked if you'd like another drink, you'll have to ask for one yourself. Tipping is expected here, but not mandatory at all.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Singapore milku3459
Howdah

Post by milku3459 »

kami_ryu wrote:Well I've never had Dutch milk.

I like my milk. Milk is good for you. Whole fat please. Skim, no, no thank you. I'll just skim over all the valuable nutrients, yeah right. However some milk just isn't good. You try to go Walmart and pick up a great value gallon of milk and it tastes like ***. Nationality has nothing to do with it probably, that would be racism anyway. I'm not going to buy an airline ticket just to go drink your supposedly better milk. Nope. Nein. Nyet.

Cows will be cows.

you're not a cow you can't comment on that
dude check your privilege
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

BrookG wrote:I will be studying for a year, so the chip would work for me.

Yes, for sure. The chip is much cheaper and easier to use than single tickets. However, if you are using the same line every day (for example a bus between your house and a university, or a train between two cities) you can also buy a subscription for a year for that line, and than you have 1 fixed price and you are able to use that line as much as you like. This pays off if you use the same line like 5 days a week or something.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

edeholland wrote:
BrookG wrote:I will be studying for a year, so the chip would work for me.

Yes, for sure. The chip is much cheaper and easier to use than single tickets. However, if you are using the same line every day (for example a bus between your house and a university, or a train between two cities) you can also buy a subscription for a year for that line, and than you have 1 fixed price and you are able to use that line as much as you like. This pays off if you use the same line like 5 days a week or something.

I didn't even know that. Might be worth looking into since I only use two bus lines.
United States of America vardar
Lancer
ESO: VardarB98/DemonDeacs

Post by vardar »

I like my milk. Milk is good for you. Whole fat please. Skim, no, no thank you. I'll just skim over all the valuable nutrients, yeah right. However some milk just isn't good. You try to go Walmart and pick up a great value gallon of milk and it tastes like ***. Nationality has nothing to do with it probably, that would be racism anyway. I'm not going to buy an airline ticket just to go drink your supposedly better milk. Nope. Nein. Nyet.

Cows will be cows.

Man, chocolate almond milk is how one drinks in style. Cows are overrated
c0ns!
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

vardar wrote:

Cows will be cows.

Man, chocolate almond milk is how one drinks in style. Cows are overrated

Unfortunately I live in a third world shithole that doesn't sell chocolate almond milk. :<
Top quality poster.
Singapore milku3459
Howdah

Post by milku3459 »

kami_ryu wrote:
I tried to be nice, but, wow. You went there, didn't you?

[spoiler=my fridge]Image[/spoiler]

I strongly STRONGLY approve of this picture

i live in a place with only 1 dairy farm in the entire country, so all the milk is "imported" from australia and tastes like white water

I still remember the days when I was in brisbane/connecticut and drinking REAL MAN'S MILK everyday...wow that stuff is THICC
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

milku3459 wrote:
kami_ryu wrote:

i live in a place with only 1 dairy farm in the entire country, so all the milk is "imported" from australia and tastes like white water

I still remember the days when I was in brisbane/connecticut and drinking REAL MAN'S MILK everyday...wow that stuff is THICC

How many classes do you take after school each day? What did you get in your PSLE? Engineer, doctor or banker? Are you looking forward to military service? What's your mother tongue language? Do you ever get claustrophobic? Which is better; Hwa Chong or Raffles?
Top quality poster.
Singapore milku3459
Howdah

Post by milku3459 »

Laurence Drake wrote:
milku3459 wrote:
kami_ryu wrote:

How many classes do you take after school each day? What did you get in your PSLE? Engineer, doctor or banker? Are you looking forward to military service? What's your mother tongue language? Do you ever get claustrophobic? Which is better; Hwa Chong or Raffles?

1. homeschooled, so the line between tuition and school is blurry
2. close to top 10%
3. lawyer?!
4. yes go navy
5. chinese
6. no, santa is a nice guy
7. raffles kids are smarter and more likely to be politicians, but also more likely to be criminals. FUN FACT one of them cofounded Razer
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

milku3459 wrote:
Laurence Drake wrote:
milku3459 wrote:

1. homeschooled, so the line between tuition and school is blurry
2. close to top 10%
3. lawyer?!
4. yes go navy
5. chinese
6. no, santa is a nice guy
7. raffles kids are smarter and more likely to be politicians, but also more likely to be criminals. FUN FACT one of them cofounded Razer

law is chickenshit dude. you need to work for the goldman sachs or you'll be doomed to poverty.
Top quality poster.
Singapore milku3459
Howdah

Post by milku3459 »

Laurence Drake wrote:law is chickenshit dude. you need to work for the goldman sachs or you'll be doomed to poverty.

maybe a lawyer is not my endgame...maybe im looking at parliament house ;) ;) ;) ;)
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

I'm looking at the Polish parliament house, too - it's a nice building! :wood:
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

milku3459 wrote:
Laurence Drake wrote:law is chickenshit dude. you need to work for the goldman sachs or you'll be doomed to poverty.

maybe a lawyer is not my endgame...maybe im looking at parliament house ;) ;) ;) ;)

what's wrong with kids these days... they all want to become criminals. what's wrong with a decent job such as carpenter?
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

umeu wrote:
milku3459 wrote:

what's wrong with kids these days... they all want to become criminals. what's wrong with a decent job such as carpenter?

what's wrong with wanting to be successful?
Top quality poster.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

It's a ressentimental way of thinking, seems great short term, bad long term effects. The side aim has become the main aim. Bad, bad, bad. Its one of the chief reasons we're having and not solving problems such as global pollution of oceans and air pollution.
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

Cows will be cows.

I love whole milk, and the best I've tasted was in the US, so probably not worth a euro trip indeed (although never tried dutch milk..). However xeelee is definitely right about cheese, even the french imported one tastes terrible (or has no taste) somehow
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham