Visiting The Netherlands

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Re: Visiting The Netherlands

Post by deleted_user0 »

Ozzy yoghurt with passion fruit ftw!
France ronaldo7
Skirmisher

Post by ronaldo7 »

Excuse me to write something that has nothing to do with the subject but as I do not know how to create a discussion, I ask here an interesting question ...
For you what are the most beautiful series you have to watch?
Personally I had thought of that of bsop vs h2o and goongoon vs. lordraphael.
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

@ronaldo7 Pick a topic from the index on the left. Then on the right, there should be a button "CREATE THREAD". Good thing you intervened, bc this conversation is out of hand anyways.
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Okay, so the Mauritshuis and the Gementeemuseum were both really great! If you like older art, definitely hit up the former (though there were a lot of portraits, which I'm not super into); if modern art is more your style, the latter was excellent! The Hague was really great overall. I think I prefer it to Amsterdam because it's not quite as touristy and busy. It just feels more chill.

Amsterdam was pretty great though! We ended up going twice because we were going to check out a nearby castle, but the hordes of people were too dense so we went to Amsterdam for a couple of hours. It was really busy. A lot, I mean, an obscene amount of people were everywhere so if melding into throngs of other humans is your thing, you will love it! Personally, it felt overwhelming for me. It was, however, Pentecost Monday so there were more people out and about. We walked through parts of the center, but there was just too much action to really enjoy the sights. Had to focus on not walking into people who would just stop in the middle of the sidewalk. Ugh, tourists. :P

The next time we went to Amsterdam, it was a bit quieter and we explored a lot more. We found some really cute areas where there were very few tourists, but really amazing views of canals and architecture. @Goodspeed would better be able to tell you where exactly we were. We also did the standard stroll through weed alleys and the red light district at night. I kinda feel like it's something that you should experience because it's pretty cool and a lot of fun. We ate, I don't even remember where, at a couple different places, and the food was really good! Forget the myth that portion sizes are smaller there. I thought that they were fairly standard. Alcohol was less expensive too.

I did not see one public toilet, just fyi. Maybe they are there and I just missed them. I did have to pay to use the toilet at the train station, which was a strange, but fun experience.

I felt super safe throughout my entire visit, and I'm a fairly small female. I even ventured out alone a few times! I did have some guy walk pretty close to me at one point whilst in Amsterdam and it looked like he was scoping out my bag, but he may have been high and/or drunk. Everyone was really nice and helpful! Don't listen to the myths that say that Dutch people are rude. This was not my experience. I did notice a flash of disdain cross people's faces for a microsecond when they realized that I was an American. Damn accent! Can't really blame them though considering that Americans don't have the best reputation abroad. :sad:

Tipping isn't expected, but I still tipped.

Seriously, the cheese and milk is soooo good! I consumed a ridiculous amount of both whilst there. If you go to the grocery store, be prepared to use Euros, some places do not accept credit and/or American debit cards. I ran into that and had to get Euros from an ATM. A bit embarrassing for me.

Do some sort of canal tour. I know they're a bit cheesy or whatever, but it's still a fun and nice experience. We did a dinner one and it was really beautiful to see the sun set on the city and the city lights at night from the water. You also see some cool touristy sites without being among the horde, unless you enjoy that, of course. :smile:

There are bike paths everywhere you go. Trains go everywhere too, but they are a little expensive, so be prepared for that.

Expect to feel like shit your first day there. I don't really sleep much, but even I got fucked up by jet lag.

If I think of anything else that may be useful, I'll let you know. :flowers:
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

^ thank you for trip report :)
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Did you try the patat oorlog
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Naw that shit is disgusting.
Tipping is expected but only in restaurants.
Couldn't tell you exactly where we were in Amsterdam, we just strolled around in the center, but I can tell you that in general the farther you get from the central station the fewer people you will run into. I'm sure there are plenty of quieter places near water.
Shame we didn't get to visit the Rijksmuseum, if you like art you will wanna go there.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

We cleared up this nice topic. :flowers:
Great Britain _NT_sven
Dragoon
Donator 06
Clan: NTDE

Post by _NT_sven »

umeu wrote:
honestly why would you go to leiden or dordrecht... those places are so boring =_=

Tbh I think Leiden beats Amsterdam on tranquil landscape about canals

But Dordrecht, meh

But yeah, as a traveler myself I think it's better to spend more time in Amsterdam and the Hague, and some other cities to the east, and maybe not Rotterdam, they have an awesome gallery though
Plum blossoms fall below the steps like whirling snow;
They cover me still though brushed off a while ago.

-Tune: "Pure Serene Music", Li Yu (937-978 AD), the Last Lord of Southern Tang Dynasty
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

_NT_sven wrote:
umeu wrote:
honestly why would you go to leiden or dordrecht... those places are so boring =_=

Tbh I think Leiden beats Amsterdam on tranquil landscape about canals

But Dordrecht, meh

But yeah, as a traveler myself I think it's better to spend more time in Amsterdam and the Hague, and some other cities to the east, and maybe not Rotterdam, they have an awesome gallery though

Have you already been to de veluwe?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

pecelot wrote:We cleared up this nice topic. :flowers:
Gotta keep off topic boring amirite?
No I'm joking but still I don't think it was necessary to delete every single post. Laurence's for example was quite humorous.
Great Britain _NT_sven
Dragoon
Donator 06
Clan: NTDE

Post by _NT_sven »

umeu wrote:
Have you already been to de veluwe?

Sadly, not yet, just staying here for one year is already quite busy if u want to travel to other EU countries, hard to go through everywhere even many are so cool
Plum blossoms fall below the steps like whirling snow;
They cover me still though brushed off a while ago.

-Tune: "Pure Serene Music", Li Yu (937-978 AD), the Last Lord of Southern Tang Dynasty
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

You should go there, and de waddeneilanden. Best parts of NL
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

umeu wrote:You should go there, and de waddeneilanden. Best parts of NL

I think I have only been to 1 of those Islands and only once when I was young...

What island would you recommend and for what activities? Mind you I have little money :unsure:
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Walking around in the waddensea is quite cool too btw.
United States of America vardar
Lancer
ESO: VardarB98/DemonDeacs

Post by vardar »

What about Noordwijk? @momuuu @deleted_user @MCJim @Goodspeed

Found a really cool hostel there and I feel like it is a perfect location to branch off to other cities and it is a nice place on the water to spend some time.
c0ns!
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

Protip of the day, go see some awesome 'heide' areas... I don't think the Americas have this.

For example, get backpack filled, high heels off/walking shoes on and go to Lemerveld (close to Ommen).
http://www.landschapoverijssel.nl/lemel ... ute-10-km2
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

edeholland wrote:
umeu wrote:You should go there, and de waddeneilanden. Best parts of NL

I think I have only been to 1 of those Islands and only once when I was young...

What island would you recommend and for what activities? Mind you I have little money :unsure:

vlieland or terschelling are generally the backpacker type islands :P you can go to a camping and pitch a tent, then it shouldnt be too expensive to stay on any of the islands tbh, although i guess it's also going to be busy and more expensive during summer for a spot maybe. best time is in september i think, holidays are over, but you should still have good weather.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

You could also take a step up the ladder and visit Copenhagen instead.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

I didn't like Copenhagen that much, hard to get to other places from there really. If you go to either amsterdam, Rotterdam, Utrecht or The hague you're in a big Dutch city and can also travel to all the four other cities. You can basically do a quadruple city trip.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

Jerom wrote:I didn't like Copenhagen that much, hard to get to other places from there really. If you go to either amsterdam, Rotterdam, Utrecht or The hague you're in a big Dutch city and can also travel to all the four other cities. You can basically do a quadruple city trip.

Why would you go anywhere else?
[Sith] - Baphomet
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Well thats the competition with the Netherlands. I was out of things to see in Copenhagen after two days.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

Just kidding... Amsterdamn is nice. Good smokem & friendly women.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

Jerom wrote:Well thats the competition with the Netherlands. I was out of things to see in Copenhagen after two days.

I guess you never made it to Christiania?
[Sith] - Baphomet
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

I sure did make it there!