20 man dinner tips

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Re: 20 man dinner tips

Post by Dolan »

20 ppl at dinner is too much for an apartment. Unless you live in New York and own a penthouse.

So either go to a restaurant or host it somewhere, at someone who has a big house. You can find plenty of menu suggestions for a fancy dinner on google.

My dish suggestion would be to include some foie gras on crackers or unbuttered toast, with a bit of figs jam on the side.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

21st birthday culture is a bit different here...
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

deleted_user wrote:21st birthday culture is a bit different here...

Ye maybe he can get some ideas from cheadar's 21st birthday party, taking place tomorrow night at the D1cks' house!
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Ye 21st birthday culture here is basically go out and get blasted
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

tbh i celebrate like that on any birthday :P atleast with inviting that many friends to eat at my place, maybe not always trying to be that fancy haha. just pasta pesto and tiramisu will have to do!
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Dolan wrote:20 ppl at dinner is too much for an apartment. Unless you live in New York and own a penthouse.

So either go to a restaurant or host it somewhere, at someone who has a big house. You can find plenty of menu suggestions for a fancy dinner on google.

My dish suggestion would be to include some foie gras on crackers or unbuttered toast, with a bit of figs jam on the side.

don't forget the caviar while you're at it.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Theodore wrote:Starters: Root beet carpaccio, http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vege ... carpaccio/
Main course: Beef Wellington http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyle ... e2-1952280
Dessert: Mousse au chocolat, served with some fresh fruit purees.

The carpaccio can be prepared easily beforehand (which is good, you don't want to have so much when the guests actually arrive), for main course you should avoid steaks as it is a pain to prepare 20 steaks at the same time (almost impossible with normal equipment). You need something that is in the oven or a big pot (I suggessted beef Wellington as you wanted it fancy, but you can also go for paella, chilli con carne served in bread bowls etc.

beef wellington is great. a roasted ham from the oven is a good alternative. or just go for turkey :P
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Kaiser soup is very tasty. But be careful. it usually flames quite had.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

gibson wrote:Probably what you want is first off as people start to come in you want to have some trays laying around with like nice cheese and crackers, some shrimps and various other finger food along with a light beverage. If you really want to be fancy when you actually start the meal you'll start by serving some sort of light soup with a savory broth and not too many things floating in it. Than you'll serve a salad, probably lettuce with tomato, cheese pepper croutons etc since Europeans seem to think fruit is more of a dessert. Next serve a mild fish, like tilapia, than a much heavier meat like lamb or steak, followed by dessert of strawberry cake or tiramisu or something like that. However I'm confident that this is too much work for someone who is a student and isn't an actual chef so probably just serve like chicken parm with salad.

you can make a wicked salad with red berries, mozzarella/feta cheese, pecan nuts and arugola
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

umeu wrote:

tbh i celebrate like that on any birthday :P atleast with inviting that many friends to eat at my place, maybe not always trying to be that fancy haha. just pasta pesto and tiramisu will have to do!

This is so bizarre to me. I've never invited friends over for food, and they have never invited me over for food - only for drinks. If we want food we order pizza or go to Taco Bell.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

deleted_user wrote:
umeu wrote:

This is so bizarre to me. I've never invited friends over for food, and they have never invited me over for food - only for drinks. If we want food we order pizza or go to Taco Bell.

How sad. Dr d1ck regularly fries up some nice treats for ush when we invade his house
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

It is kind of sad, actually. I feel like communal dinner between friends would be a great way to spend an evening.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

deleted_user wrote:It is kind of sad, actually. I feel like communal dinner between friends would be a great way to spend an evening.

I'm sorry it happened!
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Order from your favorite Arabic or Indian resturant ;) if you are 20 ppl - you can order for 15 - and you dont have to figure out what to do with all that leftovers :P
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

deleted_user wrote:
umeu wrote:

ye i guess there really is a different culinary culture in europe compared to usa. my relatives in canada did invite family over to their house for dinner to celebrate a birthday, but i guess its a bit different when it comes to family? maybe with friends you order take away or go out to eat? tbh, cooking is alot cheaper, than going to a restaurant, and if you know how to cook, it's just as good, or often even better if you want to budget the restaurant costs. sometimes it's kinda like BYOB, but then with food, and everyone makes a dish or part of the meal, entree, main course, dessert etc. its nice usually :P
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Well I'm a student. No one knows how to cook anything that isn't spaghetti or frozen chicken. I believe inviting folks over for dinner becomes more of a thing in the middle aged professional workplace though I can't hardly remember my own parents doing this at all. Of course family holidays are occasion for great home cooked meals but those are really the only times I can personally recall a situation like that.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

deleted_user wrote:Well I'm a student. No one knows how to cook anything that isn't spaghetti or frozen chicken. I believe inviting folks over for dinner becomes more of a thing in the middle aged professional workplace though I can't hardly remember my own parents doing this at all. Of course family holidays are occasion for great home cooked meals but those are really the only times I can personally recall a situation like that.

Learn to cook something then
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I am actually. Thanks, though. Must be tough on that long, long shift, huh? I think I might head home now and call it an early day!
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

It's pretty normal here for younger people like 12 13 14 etc to invite people over for birthdays, but once you get a little older that kind of stops. If you invite friends over when you're older is basically just to get drunk and the nicest food you'll find is carry out Chinese or catered salsaritas
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Yeah I forgot about when I was a kid.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

deleted_user wrote:Well I'm a student. No one knows how to cook anything that isn't spaghetti or frozen chicken. I believe inviting folks over for dinner becomes more of a thing in the middle aged professional workplace though I can't hardly remember my own parents doing this at all. Of course family holidays are occasion for great home cooked meals but those are really the only times I can personally recall a situation like that.

hmm ok, understandable, but here students do it as well, often because it's also cheaper to make a big pan of spaghetti bolognaise than go to have it at a restaurant where you pay atleast 2-3 more for not even much better quality, and atleast 5 times more if you want to have something good. the fancy stuff jerome is mentioning is only for special occasions, but otherwise it's more about the social event rather than the culinary. not saying there is often takeout chinese or pizzas as well :P but on a birthday usually you go for something homemade.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Have none of your 20 friends had a party for 20 people? Maybe ask them for help?
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

It's not just cooking, it is cooking for 20 people and supposedly cook something good. You can't do that from scratch.
Image Image Image
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

don't confuse jeroms student thingy with overall culture. Of all the 21st (or 18th since thats adulthood by law here) birthday parties I took part in 100% were like
gibson wrote:Ye 21st birthday culture here is basically go out and get blasted
with some optional pizza order
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

you're german, we all know they are barbarians.