20 man dinner tips

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Re: 20 man dinner tips

Post by Garja »

It really doesn't. I'm just trying to suggest you that you better think of another solution as you don't learn to cook (for 20 people!) in a short period of time. Again, GL
Image Image Image
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Ok idk why you cant just phrase it like that. Im also completely capable of doing what I want to do, I have plenty of time and help. The actual question was how do you prepare something fancy if you cant really bake anything.
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

Follow this recipe.

phpBB [video]
Top quality poster.
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

Last similar meal I had was:
foie gras (not necessarily that expensive if you buy it from the right people)
duck confit parmentier (parmentier de confit de canard in french) with some salad.
cheese (I believe Tomme, Saint Nectaire, some goat cheese, Reblochon, Beaufort, some Brie. Known cheese that most people like, that was the most expensive part of the dinner.)
any kind of tarte that you could prepare/buy at a good bakery (norman tart being my favorite) but I don't even remember what the dessert was. Since it's summer, a quality icecream/sorbet + strawberries/rasberries sounds like a good idea too.
red/white wine + bread on the side. duck confit was bought, we just made it parmentier: took us 1.30h to remove the bones from the duck confit, prepare the potatoes/cook in the oven. Everyone loved it, but most importantly we barely spent any time in the kitchen.

Another one was a raclette (cheese that you melt in a machine with charcuterie and potatoes on sides) if few people bring their machine for these type of meals, convivial and easy to prepare even though it's more appropriate in winter. The only thing that you have to do for the dinner is provide cooked potatoes, charcuteries and cheese plates. Your friends do the rest.

Realistically the only person that I know who invites 20+ people regularly for dinner at his appartement just hires a chef. That's the only way to enjoy your night, eat fancy meals and invite lot's of people.
In the end I wouldn't cook anything for starter/dessert , focus on the main course and still prepare something relatively easy or that could mostly be prepared in advance. There are tons of recipes that aren't that hard to make, look fancy and taste great, just google. I believe the goal of your 21st birthday dinner is to have fun with your friends, not being constantly stressed out about how well cooked is your salmon (can easily go from raw to perfectly cooked to overcooked in the oven).
Unless your friends care more about the meal than your presence, the less time you spend in the kitchen, the better it is.
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

They dont care about the presence of my parents much. Theyre the ones that'll do most of the cooking. But thats not really much to be worried about. It'll be the way I said it would be because that is the custom. If it wasnt, and if it didnt seem fun to me, Id probably not even invite that many people over for dinner. Hell, I would probably not even celebrate my birthday.
France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01
ESO: bwinner

Post by bwinner »

I am really not sure you can get good (and relativly cheap) vine easily in the Netherland... I don't know the Netherland very well, but if it's similar to Germany, you are in trouble.
Tbh, if you go for wine, there are a big probability that you find only shit wine. So, I advice you to go for a good beer. Don't go for Heineken ofc because that's not fanvy at all, but if you go for a trapiste or something like that, that will be a lot better than shit wine Imo.
Germany QueenOfdestiny
Retired Contributor
ESO: QueenOfdestiny

Post by QueenOfdestiny »

bwinner1 wrote:I am really not sure you can get good (and relativly cheap) vine easily in the Netherland... I don't know the Netherland very well, but if it's similar to Germany, you are in trouble.
Tbh, if you go for wine, there are a big probability that you find only shit wine. So, I advice you to go for a good beer. Don't go for Heineken ofc because that's not fanvy at all, but if you go for a trapiste or something like that, that will be a lot better than shit wine Imo.

lol
tbh vine in germany and dutch are same price like in france :lol:
you pay for a decend bottel 7-10€
shit juice :hmm:
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

I'd suggest that everyone gives 15-20% tip. In the end you are going to make a nice profit from them.
France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01
ESO: bwinner

Post by bwinner »

queenofdestiny wrote:
bwinner1 wrote:I am really not sure you can get good (and relativly cheap) vine easily in the Netherland... I don't know the Netherland very well, but if it's similar to Germany, you are in trouble.

lol

That's not about the price, that's about the quality
Germany QueenOfdestiny
Retired Contributor
ESO: QueenOfdestiny

Post by QueenOfdestiny »

bwinner1 wrote:
queenofdestiny wrote:

lol

That's not about the price, that's about the quality

we have also really good vine in germany you can ask kaiser :P
shit juice :hmm:
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

In my country, we have veri good vood. :!:
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

Dolan wrote:In my country, we have veri good vood. :!:

I wonder if there's a person that says "the food in my country is bad". UK maybe? :hmm:
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Lukas_L99 wrote:
Dolan wrote:In my country, we have veri good vood. :!:

I wonder if there's a person that says "the food in my country is bad". UK maybe? :hmm:
not me, mcdoubles are tier 1
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

The real question here is whether or not Jim and I are invited...
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

It's a 20-man ESOC party, in fact :!:
Netherlands irr3alist
Dragoon
Donator 05

Post by irr3alist »

wine : shiraz AH 7 euro
4 da ladies Gall&Gall choco velvet wine 6 euro buy 1 bottle per attending girl.

u know this is real advice as i dont frequent this forum anymo.

for dinner hollandse garnalen whiskey cocktail in kopjes op een bed van sla en bieslook in koelkast. cant go wrong with steak /tuna steaks on hot plates. gewoon heet bord met steak op heet bord stapelen en broccoli met kaas room saus in warm water houden. als garnalen op zijn rode wijn schenken en blokjes komkommer en kaas op tafel. (maakt pallette schoon) en steaks 1 nacht van tevoren marineren in steaksaus en een klein beetje knoflook. beginnen met 4 koekepannen met roomboter en steaks x10. Aftoppen met slierten gesauteerde ui. gebakken aardappelen in grote schaal in oven warmhouden, peper zout op tafel en roomboter. choco +spuitslagroom als dessert. . zorg dat je veel extra kriel aardappelen hebt. gebaseerd op eigen ervaring.Succes btw vlaggen verhogen de luxe ervaring --> hollandse garnalen - britse highlander steak- belgische chocolademousse.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

irr3alist wrote:wine : shiraz AH 7 euro

for dinner hollandse garnalen whiskey cocktail in kopjes op een bed van sla en bieslook in koelkast. cant go wrong with steak /tuna steaks on hot plates. gewoon heet bord met steak op heet bord stapelen en broccoli met kaas room saus in warm water houden. als garnalen op zijn rode wijn schenken en blokjes komkommer en kaas op tafel. (maakt pallette schoon) en steaks 1 nacht van tevoren marineren in steaksaus en een klein beetje knoflook. beginnen met 4 koekepannen met roomboter en steaks x10. Aftoppen met slierten gesauteerde ui. gebakken aardappelen in grote schaal in oven warmhouden, peper zout op tafel en roomboter. choco +spuitslagroom als dessert. . zorg dat je veel extra kriel aardappelen hebt. gebaseerd op eigen ervaring.Succes
r u drunk
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Your best bet is to call in an anonymous terrorist threat and cancel the whole thing.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

lejend wrote:Your best bet is to call in an anonymous terrorist threat and cancel the whole thing.

tbh, with a 50% risk of such terrorist attack happening, it's not a bad idea to call it in as a precaution. May the odds ever be in your favor!
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

umeu wrote:
lejend wrote:Your best bet is to call in an anonymous terrorist threat and cancel the whole thing.

tbh, with a 50% risk of such terrorist attack happening, it's not a bad idea to call it in as a precaution. May the odds ever be in your favor!

tbh there's a 50% chance that this meme is getting old
Top quality poster.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

memes dont get old... everyone knows this. its a law of nature
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

there's a 50% chance that you're wrong
Top quality poster.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

This all seems rather off topic. Im really grateful for all the great suggestions so far btw!
Norway oxaloacetate
Dragoon

Post by oxaloacetate »

irr3alist wrote:wine : shiraz AH 7 euro

lol speechless

best joke i've read in a while
We watched the tragedy unfold
We did as we were told
We bought and sold
It was the greatest show on earth
United States of America noissance
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: noissance

Post by noissance »

Jerom wrote:This all seems rather off topic. Im really grateful for all the great suggestions so far btw!

what did you end up settling for? the suspense is thrilling
Error 404: Signature not found