This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
User avatar
Italy Garja
ESOC Maps Team
Donator 01
Posts: 4763
ESO: Garja

17 Jun 2017, 11:28

It really doesn't. I'm just trying to suggest you that you better think of another solution as you don't learn to cook (for 20 people!) in a short period of time. Again, GL
User avatar
Netherlands Jerom
Ninja
Donator 03
Posts: 12423
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

17 Jun 2017, 11:30

Ok idk why you cant just phrase it like that. Im also completely capable of doing what I want to do, I have plenty of time and help. The actual question was how do you prepare something fancy if you cant really bake anything.

"When life give you incompetence, participate in the betting" - Jerom, winner of autumn betting, 2016
"but wer eyiu playig a gainst someone as magnificent as jerom? thats wha ti thogutb jerom is a beaaitful human being"- Mr_Bramboy
User avatar
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger
Posts: 2537

17 Jun 2017, 12:21

Follow this recipe.

phpBB [video]
Top quality poster.
User avatar
France benj89
Howdah
Posts: 1435

17 Jun 2017, 13:45

Last similar meal I had was:
foie gras (not necessarily that expensive if you buy it from the right people)
duck confit parmentier (parmentier de confit de canard in french) with some salad.
cheese (I believe Tomme, Saint Nectaire, some goat cheese, Reblochon, Beaufort, some Brie. Known cheese that most people like, that was the most expensive part of the dinner.)
any kind of tarte that you could prepare/buy at a good bakery (norman tart being my favorite) but I don't even remember what the dessert was. Since it's summer, a quality icecream/sorbet + strawberries/rasberries sounds like a good idea too.
red/white wine + bread on the side. duck confit was bought, we just made it parmentier: took us 1.30h to remove the bones from the duck confit, prepare the potatoes/cook in the oven. Everyone loved it, but most importantly we barely spent any time in the kitchen.

Another one was a raclette (cheese that you melt in a machine with charcuterie and potatoes on sides) if few people bring their machine for these type of meals, convivial and easy to prepare even though it's more appropriate in winter. The only thing that you have to do for the dinner is provide cooked potatoes, charcuteries and cheese plates. Your friends do the rest.

Realistically the only person that I know who invites 20+ people regularly for dinner at his appartement just hires a chef. That's the only way to enjoy your night, eat fancy meals and invite lot's of people.
In the end I wouldn't cook anything for starter/dessert , focus on the main course and still prepare something relatively easy or that could mostly be prepared in advance. There are tons of recipes that aren't that hard to make, look fancy and taste great, just google. I believe the goal of your 21st birthday dinner is to have fun with your friends, not being constantly stressed out about how well cooked is your salmon (can easily go from raw to perfectly cooked to overcooked in the oven).
Unless your friends care more about the meal than your presence, the less time you spend in the kitchen, the better it is.
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
User avatar
Netherlands Jerom
Ninja
Donator 03
Posts: 12423
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

17 Jun 2017, 14:16

They dont care about the presence of my parents much. Theyre the ones that'll do most of the cooking. But thats not really much to be worried about. It'll be the way I said it would be because that is the custom. If it wasnt, and if it didnt seem fun to me, Id probably not even invite that many people over for dinner. Hell, I would probably not even celebrate my birthday.

"When life give you incompetence, participate in the betting" - Jerom, winner of autumn betting, 2016
"but wer eyiu playig a gainst someone as magnificent as jerom? thats wha ti thogutb jerom is a beaaitful human being"- Mr_Bramboy
User avatar
European Union bwinner1
Dragoon
Posts: 311

17 Jun 2017, 16:10

I am really not sure you can get good (and relativly cheap) vine easily in the Netherland... I don't know the Netherland very well, but if it's similar to Germany, you are in trouble.
Tbh, if you go for wine, there are a big probability that you find only shit wine. So, I advice you to go for a good beer. Don't go for Heineken ofc because that's not fanvy at all, but if you go for a trapiste or something like that, that will be a lot better than shit wine Imo.
User avatar
Germany queenofdestiny
Lancer
Posts: 722
ESO: QueenOfdestiny

17 Jun 2017, 17:14

bwinner1 wrote:I am really not sure you can get good (and relativly cheap) vine easily in the Netherland... I don't know the Netherland very well, but if it's similar to Germany, you are in trouble.
Tbh, if you go for wine, there are a big probability that you find only shit wine. So, I advice you to go for a good beer. Don't go for Heineken ofc because that's not fanvy at all, but if you go for a trapiste or something like that, that will be a lot better than shit wine Imo.

lol
tbh vine in germany and dutch are same price like in france :lol:
you pay for a decend bottel 7-10€
Image
User avatar
Finland somppukunkku
Howdah
Donator 02
Posts: 1466

17 Jun 2017, 17:16

I'd suggest that everyone gives 15-20% tip. In the end you are going to make a nice profit from them.
User avatar
European Union bwinner1
Dragoon
Posts: 311

17 Jun 2017, 17:21

queenofdestiny wrote:
bwinner1 wrote:I am really not sure you can get good (and relativly cheap) vine easily in the Netherland... I don't know the Netherland very well, but if it's similar to Germany, you are in trouble.
Tbh, if you go for wine, there are a big probability that you find only shit wine. So, I advice you to go for a good beer. Don't go for Heineken ofc because that's not fanvy at all, but if you go for a trapiste or something like that, that will be a lot better than shit wine Imo.

lol
tbh vine in germany and dutch are same price like in france :lol:
you pay for a decend bottel 7-10€


That's not about the price, that's about the quality
User avatar
Germany queenofdestiny
Lancer
Posts: 722
ESO: QueenOfdestiny

17 Jun 2017, 18:36

bwinner1 wrote:
queenofdestiny wrote:
bwinner1 wrote:I am really not sure you can get good (and relativly cheap) vine easily in the Netherland... I don't know the Netherland very well, but if it's similar to Germany, you are in trouble.
Tbh, if you go for wine, there are a big probability that you find only shit wine. So, I advice you to go for a good beer. Don't go for Heineken ofc because that's not fanvy at all, but if you go for a trapiste or something like that, that will be a lot better than shit wine Imo.

lol
tbh vine in germany and dutch are same price like in france :lol:
you pay for a decend bottel 7-10€


That's not about the price, that's about the quality


we have also really good vine in germany you can ask kaiser :P
Image
User avatar
Romania Dolan
Howdah
Posts: 1878

17 Jun 2017, 18:48

In my country, we have veri good vood. :!:
User avatar
Germany Lukas_L99
Lancer
Posts: 670
ESO: Lukas_L99

17 Jun 2017, 19:41

Dolan wrote:In my country, we have veri good vood. :!:


I wonder if there's a person that says "the food in my country is bad". UK maybe? :hmm:
Tuvalu gibson
Gendarme
Posts: 6246
Location: USA

17 Jun 2017, 20:01

Lukas_L99 wrote:
Dolan wrote:In my country, we have veri good vood. :!:


I wonder if there's a person that says "the food in my country is bad". UK maybe? :hmm:
not me, mcdoubles are tier 1
I kissed a girl and I liked it
The taste of her cherry chap stick
I kissed a girl just to try it
I hope my boyfriend don't mind it
It felt so wrong, it felt so right
Don't mean I'm in love tonight
I kissed a girl and I liked it
I liked it
User avatar
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
ESOC Media Team
Posts: 4352
ESO: mr_bramboy
Location: Amsterdam

17 Jun 2017, 20:17

The real question here is whether or not Jim and I are invited...
User avatar
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
Posts: 8054
ESO: Pezet
Location: Warsaw, Poland

17 Jun 2017, 20:30

It's a 20-man ESOC party, in fact :!:
Memento: quanto crassior deliciarum causa factus eris, tanto difficilior impressione fugies
Tokugawa Ieyasu :chinese:
Netherlands irr3alist
Dragoon
Donator 03
Posts: 200

17 Jun 2017, 20:54

wine : shiraz AH 7 euro
4 da ladies Gall&Gall choco velvet wine 6 euro buy 1 bottle per attending girl.

u know this is real advice as i dont frequent this forum anymo.

for dinner hollandse garnalen whiskey cocktail in kopjes op een bed van sla en bieslook in koelkast. cant go wrong with steak /tuna steaks on hot plates. gewoon heet bord met steak op heet bord stapelen en broccoli met kaas room saus in warm water houden. als garnalen op zijn rode wijn schenken en blokjes komkommer en kaas op tafel. (maakt pallette schoon) en steaks 1 nacht van tevoren marineren in steaksaus en een klein beetje knoflook. beginnen met 4 koekepannen met roomboter en steaks x10. Aftoppen met slierten gesauteerde ui. gebakken aardappelen in grote schaal in oven warmhouden, peper zout op tafel en roomboter. choco +spuitslagroom als dessert. . zorg dat je veel extra kriel aardappelen hebt. gebaseerd op eigen ervaring.Succes btw vlaggen verhogen de luxe ervaring --> hollandse garnalen - britse highlander steak- belgische chocolademousse.
Tuvalu gibson
Gendarme
Posts: 6246
Location: USA

17 Jun 2017, 21:12

irr3alist wrote:wine : shiraz AH 7 euro
4 da ladies Gall&Gall choco velvet wine 6 euro buy 1 bottle per attending girl.

u know this is real advice as i dont frequent this forum anymo.

for dinner hollandse garnalen whiskey cocktail in kopjes op een bed van sla en bieslook in koelkast. cant go wrong with steak /tuna steaks on hot plates. gewoon heet bord met steak op heet bord stapelen en broccoli met kaas room saus in warm water houden. als garnalen op zijn rode wijn schenken en blokjes komkommer en kaas op tafel. (maakt pallette schoon) en steaks 1 nacht van tevoren marineren in steaksaus en een klein beetje knoflook. beginnen met 4 koekepannen met roomboter en steaks x10. Aftoppen met slierten gesauteerde ui. gebakken aardappelen in grote schaal in oven warmhouden, peper zout op tafel en roomboter. choco +spuitslagroom als dessert. . zorg dat je veel extra kriel aardappelen hebt. gebaseerd op eigen ervaring.Succes
r u drunk
I kissed a girl and I liked it
The taste of her cherry chap stick
I kissed a girl just to try it
I hope my boyfriend don't mind it
It felt so wrong, it felt so right
Don't mean I'm in love tonight
I kissed a girl and I liked it
I liked it
User avatar
No Flag lejend
Dragoon
Posts: 420

17 Jun 2017, 23:59

Your best bet is to call in an anonymous terrorist threat and cancel the whole thing.
“The Party cannot be neutral towards religion... because it stands for science, whereas... all religion is the antithesis of science.” - Stalin

“Chinese socialism is founded upon Darwin and the theory of evolution.” - Mao Zedong
No Flag umeu
Gendarme
Posts: 6893

18 Jun 2017, 06:34

lejend wrote:Your best bet is to call in an anonymous terrorist threat and cancel the whole thing.



tbh, with a 50% risk of such terrorist attack happening, it's not a bad idea to call it in as a precaution. May the odds ever be in your favor!
I kissed a girl and I liked it
Popped her cherry with my chapstick
I kissed a girl just to try it
I hope my wife don't mind it
It felt so wrong, it felt so right
Don't mean I'm in love tonight
I kissed a girl and I liked it
I liked it
User avatar
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger
Posts: 2537

18 Jun 2017, 08:50

umeu wrote:
lejend wrote:Your best bet is to call in an anonymous terrorist threat and cancel the whole thing.



tbh, with a 50% risk of such terrorist attack happening, it's not a bad idea to call it in as a precaution. May the odds ever be in your favor!

tbh there's a 50% chance that this meme is getting old
Top quality poster.
No Flag umeu
Gendarme
Posts: 6893

18 Jun 2017, 08:51

memes dont get old... everyone knows this. its a law of nature
I kissed a girl and I liked it
Popped her cherry with my chapstick
I kissed a girl just to try it
I hope my wife don't mind it
It felt so wrong, it felt so right
Don't mean I'm in love tonight
I kissed a girl and I liked it
I liked it
User avatar
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger
Posts: 2537

18 Jun 2017, 11:17

there's a 50% chance that you're wrong
Top quality poster.
User avatar
Netherlands Jerom
Ninja
Donator 03
Posts: 12423
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

18 Jun 2017, 12:25

This all seems rather off topic. Im really grateful for all the great suggestions so far btw!

"When life give you incompetence, participate in the betting" - Jerom, winner of autumn betting, 2016
"but wer eyiu playig a gainst someone as magnificent as jerom? thats wha ti thogutb jerom is a beaaitful human being"- Mr_Bramboy
User avatar
Norway oxaloacetate
Dragoon
Posts: 210

18 Jun 2017, 15:20

irr3alist wrote:wine : shiraz AH 7 euro
4 da ladies Gall&Gall choco velvet wine 6 euro buy 1 bottle per attending girl.

u know this is real advice as i dont frequent this forum anymo.


lol speechless

best joke i've read in a while
Chess, Go, toothpicks. In that exact order.
User avatar
United States of America noissance
Howdah
Posts: 1780
ESO: theheat
Location: United States

18 Jun 2017, 16:28

Jerom wrote:This all seems rather off topic. Im really grateful for all the great suggestions so far btw!

what did you end up settling for? the suspense is thrilling

Forum Info

Return to “Real-life Discussion”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: rsy and 2 guests