London Terror Attack

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Re: London Terror Attack

Post by Snuden »

Those were terror attacks (jihad)
Either executed by ISIS or their allies.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

Fighting terror with terror. Ingenious. :roll:
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

More like fighting terror with stupidity. The war on terror is not won by single nut-cases acting out (somewhat) unplanned killings.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Great Britain oats13
Lancer

Post by oats13 »

umeu wrote:so, sure, this is not a terrorist attack then oats. But what was the one in London a few weeks back? Or few months back, or 2005?

I didn't say it wasn't a terrorist attack I just suggest that people should decide for themselves- the guy had an ideology of sorts but not one that he wants to export I'd imagine, I think it is fair to draw some kind of distinction between someone punching someone and that person punching them back- neither is the ideal however.
We hold these truths to be self-evident. All men and women created by the you know, you know the thing.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

sure, i agree, but who's to say who started the punching when you walk in on a fight half way? he will claim he's defending himself, and they will say they are taking revenge for something else, and so it continues, until an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

fei123456 wrote:Maybe "devide them" is the only way to solve this

I'd call this the unravelling of the French Revolution. Slowly the veil (learned prejudices, learned taboos) is lifted and we're waking up to a more primeval consciousness of our species, this is like history's reset button.

People are confused, they don't see where this is going, but they are looking for a ground and a grounding, and that makes them look deeper and deeper into themselves. We thought nationalism was dead? How about retro-nationalism, retro-nazism, retro-communism, etc.
Great Britain oats13
Lancer

Post by oats13 »

umeu- we could chase that rabbit down any number of holes but from my point of view having grown up in Britain at a time that it was at least nominally 'small c' christian then it is quite clear what is happening- we don't have any of these problems with buddhists, sikhs, jainists, hindus and neither with Indians, chinese, south americans, swedes or west indians.

You are correct essentially and that is why people shouldn't punch back but use pre-existing systems of justice instead- however we are not all monks and this was bound to happen- we just went too fast with certain things because it suited 'both sides' at the time and now we see the fallout in a society that doesn't have the language to discuss what has happened nor the means to disseminate the arguments.

In reply to the reply above- believing that one's nation state aught to exist and can exist for the greater good does not equate to 'nationalism' in the usual context of critique- best to not fall into the trap of literalism that academic language invites IMO.
We hold these truths to be self-evident. All men and women created by the you know, you know the thing.
India _RDX_
Lancer
ESO: _RDX_

Post by _RDX_ »

Lot of shitty racists. Why should a terrorist necessarily be a Muslim?? Its just a religion just like Christianity... Why the heck do you have to mention the religion all the time? The ISIS militants are a shame and disgrace to the religion.... Now let me start talking like an idiotic discriminating racist...There is a news about people who convert their religion and join ISIS for money...From places like Central Europe where Christianity mostly exists... Till you guys stop discriminating, they will remain terrorists representing in the name of a religion. I say this because I have a lot of Muslim friends. A friend can never be forgiven.
oranges.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

21!

Let forget about facts because you have some good Muslim friends.
[Sith] - Baphomet
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

oats13 wrote:umeu- we could chase that rabbit down any number of holes but from my point of view having grown up in Britain at a time that it was at least nominally 'small c' christian then it is quite clear what is happening- we don't have any of these problems with buddhists, sikhs, jainists, hindus and neither with Indians, chinese, south americans, swedes or west indians.

But you did have similar problems with the irish. IRA has killed more british people than muslim terrorists have, yet that has been overcome without anything similar to the current racist rethoric (not saying it's your rethoric btw)
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Dolan wrote:
fei123456 wrote:Maybe "devide them" is the only way to solve this

I'd call this the unravelling of the French Revolution. Slowly the veil (learned prejudices, learned taboos) is lifted and we're waking up to a more primeval consciousness of our species, this is like history's reset button.

People are confused, they don't see where this is going, but they are looking for a ground and a grounding, and that makes them look deeper and deeper into themselves. We thought nationalism was dead? How about retro-nationalism, retro-nazism, retro-communism, etc.

french revolution gave birth to nationalism i think. instead of rallying behind your king to whom you owe obedience, or atleast rallying behind your landlord who owes obedience to the king, you fight for your country as your end of the bargain, while the state garantuees your liberties as their end.
Great Britain oats13
Lancer

Post by oats13 »

Hmm- I think the I.R.A will be back this time next year personally- they just got caught with a large consignment of freshly manufactured semtex in fact- although strangely it didn't make the news...

There is correlation between the two groups in fact- you might like this lecture- I recommend all four parts of it- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4HnIyClHEM

Racism towards the Irish was and is prevalent especially in london in my experience- essentially the I.R.A has a nationalist ideology and ISIS has an internationalist ideology which has enough power to promote itself internationally wheareas nationalism by definition doesn't.

I think what many people don't grasp is that there is no cultural islam as such in comparison to judaism for instance-

In short I have no problem saying that running people down with vehicles is both wrong and likely to achieve little but rationally it is more likely for people to be concerned with an internationalist ideology whose aims are inimical to their own than with reactions to such IMO.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Kyrgyzstan AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE
Lancer
ESO: dats my secret

Post by AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE »

Snuden wrote:Somehow it pisses me off that I can't even wear short pants in Sudan.

you dont seem like the kind of guy who goes to sudan to wear short pants.

Snuden wrote:Same thing happened when the Christians come to Scandinavia 1000 years ago.
The Norsemen culture died out.

this is 100% bs and different. also, norsemen culture pretty much exists there still, the most in iceland, ive been there some times. when they took over the christian culture they mixed it with their own mythology, they only took the things they approved as good and right, they learned from another culture, also there was a political deal for peace between some northern/christian leaders later on..

then again, you seem to support the christian culture against the muslim one, so your post makes even less sense..
Wales CelticCrusader
Dragoon
ESO: CelticCrusader

Post by CelticCrusader »

This was inevitable. When one group of people attack another group of people, there will always be someone willing to attack back. Our country will one day end up in civil war. Sad but true. Why are people so mad about this one though ? Never heard you complaining when muslims carry out these type of attacks. Some people are so obsessed with white supremacy, but totally ignore the facts about islam. White supremacy is nowhere near the scale of isis. When did you hear the kkk carrying out worldwide attacks ?
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

umeu wrote:french revolution gave birth to nationalism i think. instead of rallying behind your king to whom you owe obedience, or atleast rallying behind your landlord who owes obedience to the king, you fight for your country as your end of the bargain, while the state garantuees your liberties as their end.

Yeah, that's the double legacy of the French Revolution, at the same time, it brought about the idea of universal human rights. The idea of nation as a new grounding for political legitimacy appeared because they needed a new political subject. And for lack of any source of authority, since the old regime was dead together with all the institutions (and gods which legitimised it), who else could have become that authority if not "the people" as a culture?

Since religious wars ended in Europe and Locke wrote his Letter Concerning Toleration, religion has gradually become a matter of private, tolerated opinion. The Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen even mentions this in article X ("No one may be disturbed for his opinions, even religious ones, provided that their manifestation does not trouble the public order established by the law"). This basically set the conditions for ethnic non-locality (because religion and culture were closely linked with ethnos back then, not a question of option like now, when you can be a Muslim Chinese-American, if you want to). What we're seeing now is a return to nativism, to the belief that ethnic divides also underlie cultural divides. I'm not saying this belief is false or true, I'm just saying this belief is making a come-back, which is contrary to the spirit of the French Revolution.

People often forget that "la nation" was not against another nation or above another nation, during the French Revolution. Neither was it during the 1848 revolutions. Later nationalisms, including Nazism, embody this belief that nations are not equal and necessarily so.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE wrote:
Snuden wrote:Somehow it pisses me off that I can't even wear short pants in Sudan.

you dont seem like the kind of guy who goes to sudan to wear short pants.

Snuden wrote:Same thing happened when the Christians come to Scandinavia 1000 years ago.
The Norsemen culture died out.

this is 100% bs and different. also, norsemen culture pretty much exists there still, the most in iceland, ive been there some times. when they took over the christian culture they mixed it with their own mythology, they only took the things they approved as good and right, they learned from another culture, also there was a political deal for peace between some northern/christian leaders later on..

then again, you seem to support the christian culture against the muslim one, so your post makes even less sense..

Here is what happened, when I saw the "quoted by" notification...

First I always look at, which poster quoted me and at the same time I look at their avatar. I noticed the spliff the guy in yours were smoking. "Well that's cool enough, who don't like a little primo smokem once in a while?' I thought.

Then I went on to read what you actually quoted and then I read your comments to my quotes. I had to read it 3-4 times before it hit me... Holy shit! This dude is stoned out of his mind! Might even laced it with meth.

Going to Sudan to wear shorts? No dude, if you actually read and understood what I wrote, you would see that I was there to WORK. Work to better the lives of those who now take advantage of the country, where I was brought up>

Norseman culture still exist? The Norsemen took over christian culture? Political deal between Northern(?) and christian leaders?

Lay low on the glass dude...
[Sith] - Baphomet
Germany supernapoleon
Lancer
ESO: Supernapoleon

Post by supernapoleon »

1 white terror attack
10000 islamic terror attacks
==> whites are bad, islam has nothing to do with tons of thousand terror attacks.
"I'M SOOOOOO GOOD AT THE GAME"
Hazza wrote: "I mad u win cos u get carried all game and have to lame every game"
India Nymphomaniac
Dragoon

Post by Nymphomaniac »

supernapoleon wrote:1 white terror attack
==> whites are bad, islam has nothing to do with tons of thousand terror attacks.

Also terrorism has no religion ;)
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

supernapoleon wrote:1 white terror attack

i wonder how much effort it must take to become this stupid... i mean even if i tried, i wouldn't be able to replicate your logic!
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

It makes sense that people are jumping on this as it is less okay for a privileged person from western society to devolve into extremism than it is for a kid growing up in a morally primitive society. They should know better. We as a society need to be the bigger person, meaning we need to stand there and take the blows. We count our losses, move on and don't hold grudges. We carry the third world to our standards not by selling them weapons but by giving them financial and political incentives to move in the right direction.

None of these terrorist attacks are a big deal. They are mass murders, and they have happened throughout history. There will always be nut jobs on every side of every disagreement. What is a big deal is the way people look at each other the day after. The fear, the hate, the fact that even right here on ESOC it took only 3 posts before the issue was politicized. The divide that keeps on growing even though there is statistically not a fucking thing to be scared of.

Facepalm.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

You pretty much have the TOTAL opposite opinion than I have :-)
Especially this "We as a society need to be the bigger person, meaning we need to stand there and take the blows"

Maybe I just didn't get the irony.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Snuden wrote:You pretty much have the TOTAL opposite opinion than I have :-)
Especially this "We as a society need to be the bigger person, meaning we need to stand there and take the blows"

If a child yells at you, do you yell back?
Germany supernapoleon
Lancer
ESO: Supernapoleon

Post by supernapoleon »

Goodspeed wrote:

If a child choppes a knife in your belly, do you say well done?
"I'M SOOOOOO GOOD AT THE GAME"
Hazza wrote: "I mad u win cos u get carried all game and have to lame every game"
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

Goodspeed wrote:

No I do not. I have taught both my girls that in order to be heard, you need to argue in a civilized manner . :unsure:
But one thing is to deal with children, another thing is to deal with people, willing to blow themselves up for their cause.
[Sith] - Baphomet