Why do gamers keep buying sports games

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.

Why?

1. They are indoctrinated by EA into buying their games anually.
22%
2. Peer pressure from their friends at school.
4%
3. Their parents play the games too.
No votes
4. They are stoopid.
43%
5. Walnutsh.
30%

Total votes: 23

United States of America noissance
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: noissance

Why do gamers keep buying sports games

Post by noissance »

FIFA Madden NBA etc.
These games are updated anually (not NEW games), and EA charges 60$ for each of them. The newer games only offer very little upgrades and whatnot.
Error 404: Signature not found
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Re: Why do gamers keep buying sports games

Post by deleted_user »

Asked my roommate this a few days ago who only plays sports games and is an everything sports nerd.

"New features and updated rosters and..." some other stuff that didn't really matter to me.

TBH everything he listed sounded like it could be an update to the game rather than another full price triple A title. I have an inkling the largest factor is rosters as games don't update their rosters between off seasons and it can make an otherwise modern game feel outdated.

Edit: we're often irrational creatures - there's a significant player base willing to buy the new game because it creates pleasure for them and studios are eager to comply because I'd imagine the margins are very high for them. It doesn't have to make perfect sense.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

That's what she said
France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01
ESO: bwinner

Post by bwinner »

To play with friend ofc. Fifa is a lot more convivial than aoe. It's really well disigned and easy to play so that every one can play it unlike aoe.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

rts games are always harder to play than games of other genre like rpg fps which are quite enjoyable without putting any/much efforts.
Great Britain InsectPoison
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

bwinner1 wrote:To play with friend ofc. Fifa is a lot more convivial than aoe. It's really well disigned and easy to play so that every one can play it unlike aoe.

Gotta agree with you here, FIFA is one of the best games to enjoy with your friends.
Spain NekoBerk
Lancer
ESO: Nirket

Post by NekoBerk »

InsectPoison wrote:
bwinner1 wrote:To play with friend ofc. Fifa is a lot more convivial than aoe. It's really well disigned and easy to play so that every one can play it unlike aoe.

Gotta agree with you here, FIFA is one of the best games to enjoy with your friends.

The question here is why some persons buy a new FIFA every year xD, it doesn't almost change. It is like buy the new EP updates with the price of a full game.
"That's why we sing for these kids who don't have a thing
Except for a dream and a fuckin' rap magazine " - Eminem

"And we hate po-po
Wanna kill us dead in the street fo sho' " - Kendrick Lamar
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

NekoBerk wrote:
InsectPoison wrote:

The question here is why some persons buy a new FIFA every year xD, it doesn't almost change. It is like buy the new EP updates with the price of a full game.

gets idea for esoc marketing :huh: :hmm: :!: :idea:
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

The biggest selling factor is the updated rosters with new player ratings. Outside of that the improvements are neglectable. But EA would be dead without the annual release of those sport games. I mean they have killed literally every other franchise that they posses so they have to milk that one as hard as possible, which means releasing simple dlcs with updated rosters isnt an option.
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

but for that you dont need to release and buy a 60 euro game every year. The question was why they release annual triple A games which offer little improvements but gamers still buy it.
You dont need the newest versions to play with your friends.
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Basically transfers and new talents emerging. The games do change, but indeed not much. However with the rights involved in these games, any other model would probably turn a loss

Most dlc are overpriced though. Like paradox releases a few features for only 5 euros less that the price ntw was realeased for by tw series
Great Britain InsectPoison
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

lordraphael wrote:The biggest selling factor is the updated rosters with new player ratings. Outside of that the improvements are neglectable. But EA would be dead without the annual release of those sport games. I mean they have killed literally every other franchise that they posses so they have to milk that one as hard as possible, which means releasing simple dlcs with updated rosters isnt an option.

New game mechanics every year and better AI aswell, they also add new leagues every year and improve graphics and textures to make gameplay more smoother.
Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

Grass is greener.
India _RDX_
Lancer
ESO: _RDX_

Post by _RDX_ »

@Ashvin Actually, sometimes fps games will feel hard to get on. In my opinion, it averagely takes 7-9 months to have a perfect aim with a gun. Since fps games nowadays come with exciting features, it increases complexity. Whereas, RTS games just don't, they just take less than 4 months because you're gonna do the same thing again and again most of the time.
oranges.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Nope
India _RDX_
Lancer
ESO: _RDX_

Post by _RDX_ »

Wut?
oranges.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

FPS >>>>> RTS in terms of accessibility.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

_RDX_ wrote:@Ashvin Actually, sometimes fps games will feel hard to get on. In my opinion, it averagely takes 7-9 months to have a perfect aim with a gun. Since fps games nowadays come with exciting features, it increases complexity.

I know games of other genre are quite hard and complex, but I think you misunderstood the meaning of my post, I said and I quote
Ashvin wrote:... like rpg fps which are quite enjoyable without putting any/much efforts.
. I play Payday2 without any experience of its previous version I kinda enjoyed it. But I can't say I experienced the same the time I first played aoe3.

Whereas, RTS games just don't, they just take less than 4 months because you're gonna do the same thing again and again most of the time.

This is where I can't agree with you, just take DOTA2 for example, the game gives you so many heroes and updates every other month so you cant get a hold on the game knowledge unless you invest ton of your time. So lets say if you want to master this game in 4 months you have to play it more than 12 hours a day to master every hero and their ability.
Kyrgyzstan AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE
Lancer
ESO: dats my secret

Post by AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE »

2 stay fysically fit
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

lordraphael wrote:The biggest selling factor is the updated rosters with new player ratings. Outside of that the improvements are neglectable. But EA would be dead without the annual release of those sport games. I mean they have killed literally every other franchise that they posses so they have to milk that one as hard as possible, which means releasing simple dlcs with updated rosters isnt an option.

Doesn't EA make battlefield?
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

They ruin nearly every franchise they set their hands on. EA is a shit studio that makes largely unremarkable titles with incomplete launches.
Turkey Mameluke
Dragoon
ESO: Mameluké

Post by Mameluke »

I played Pro Evolution Soccer for many years (started with 8-9 years or so) and I can tell you that there are several things why ppl are buying a new version always.

1. Graphics
2. transfers (easy update ofc)
3. new features(more or less) - game modes/main menu design and such stuff
4. Gameplay is almost always different (not always better tho)
5. like some ppl said its satisfying to just have the newest game of a series
and so on
If you see any mistakes in my grammar/vocabulary or whatever, please correct me. I really appreciate it :!: :flowers:
Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Post by aligator92 »

It just really makes little sense to pay that much money for the same game with an updated roster and ever so slightly improved graphics and gameplay. I still occasionally play FIFA12 which is the last one I bought. But I only ever play Managermode.
I think always having the newest game only makes sense if you are a pro because you won't be able to play competetively with an outdated version.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

They buy it because they enjoy it. That makes a load of sense to me.