Religion

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.

Are You Religious?

Yes
29%
No
57%
No, but I'm spiritual
12%
Other (leave in comments, please)
2%

Total votes: 83

Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Re: Religion

Post by Gendarme »

Did Umeu just give away the plot for the replacement of World of Warcraft? BRB stealing this and becoming billionaire.
Pay more attention to detail.
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

ovi12 wrote:
Papist wrote:
ovi12 wrote:I am not religious simply because nobody has shown me evidence of a god existing. If someone has some, please do share. Otherwise, you are being irrational by being religious.

How was the universe created?

I don't know how the universe came into existence (or weather it did, or has always been there).

If you claim that a god did it you must provide evidence for this.

I disagree that one must prove such.
I prefer to trust the Architect like a child trusts it's father/mother.
He did an excellent job and I do not feel the need to move/flee earth to marsh
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Gendarme wrote:Did Umeu just give away the plot for the replacement of World of Warcraft? BRB stealing this and becoming billionaire.

it's already been copyrighted.

nah i dont believe in copy rights, do with it whatever you please (i dont entirely see how its the replacement of WoW though.)
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

umeu wrote:
Gendarme wrote:Did Umeu just give away the plot for the replacement of World of Warcraft? BRB stealing this and becoming billionaire.

it's already been copyrighted.

nah i dont believe in copy rights, do with it whatever you please (i dont entirely see how its the replacement of WoW though.)

Inb4 umeu repents when:
-one year later gendarme becomes billionaire and has more than 30 properties across US
-two years later hosts a tv show called the apprentice
-three years later becomes president of US
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

I'll make Umeu the first lady, np.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

dietschlander wrote:I disagree that one must prove such.

One must prove such if they don't want to be irrational.

How do you know he exists?
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

ovi12 wrote:

Don't b a sexist it could be a She
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

rsy wrote:
ovi12 wrote:

Don't b a sexist it could be a She

Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

umeu wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:What about if we are living in a computer simulation? Would its creator be our god? Would it still be religion? Not quite as spiritual of an idea, but at least this one makes some sense.

I'm actually dabling with this idea recently. A short story about a little kid who's basically a genius, and he creates a program called Afterlife or Genesis, and it allows the people in his world to be uploaded into his program, and they go to a new world. And they worship him as the creator there. But because he's at first a kid, he's not fully in control of his emotions, so he's still an angry god at times, but later he grows up and becomes a more just and loving god. Or something of that sort XD Its just an idea yet, maybe we can have a brainstorm session about it.

And then theres the multiverse-theory where we are only one of infinite versions of ourselves (and thus the world around us also). Personally, this seems the most exciting to me. Lets get into space things instead of religion, so much more interesting!
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

I don't even know what I would answer to "How do you know your mother exists?", to be honest. Now considering that God isn't even defined in this conversation, that question seems extremely difficult to answer, @Jaeger. Let's try with easier ones: How do you know the moon exists? How do you know trees harvest energy through photosynthesis? Because of testimony?
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

just discussed the matter with my boss, he commented it might be true that religion(s) are cause of a lot of bad things.
let's replace the word with 'believe' ---> go watch the stars tonight and then try to consider there isn't a God :)
I never seen Australia but do believe it is there kinda east of Jackey
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Gendarme wrote:I'll make Umeu the first lady, np.

can you explain the warcraft reference?! im flabbergastedddd
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Gendarme wrote:I don't even know what I would answer to "How do you know your mother exists?", to be honest. Now considering that God isn't even defined in this conversation, that question seems extremely difficult to answer, @Jaeger. Let's try with easier ones: How do you know the moon exists? How do you know trees harvest energy through photosynthesis? Because of testimony?

You can define god however you want and then we can discuss him, you're the one on the side that he exists.

I believe trees harvest energy through photosynthesis because it has been established as such through the sciencific method.

Are you asking why I believe the textbook when it tells me this?
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

ovi12 wrote:
Gendarme wrote:I don't even know what I would answer to "How do you know your mother exists?", to be honest. Now considering that God isn't even defined in this conversation, that question seems extremely difficult to answer, @Jaeger. Let's try with easier ones: How do you know the moon exists? How do you know trees harvest energy through photosynthesis? Because of testimony?

You can define god however you want and then we can discuss him, you're the one on the side that he exists.

I believe trees harvest energy through photosynthesis because it has been established as such through the sciencific method.

but there is, I believe, the crux of what gibson was trying to say. You believe because of evidence presented to you by following a scientific method. But you can't be provided any evidence for the correctness of this method that isn't circular. So you must take a leap of faith that this method is correct. And this faith in the scientific method is similar in its role in your worldview as faith in god is to christians.

Imo, the question we should be asking, before trying to answer whether god does or does not exist, is does it matter if It does or doesn't exist?
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

jesus3 wrote:
umeu wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:What about if we are living in a computer simulation? Would its creator be our god? Would it still be religion? Not quite as spiritual of an idea, but at least this one makes some sense.

I'm actually dabling with this idea recently. A short story about a little kid who's basically a genius, and he creates a program called Afterlife or Genesis, and it allows the people in his world to be uploaded into his program, and they go to a new world. And they worship him as the creator there. But because he's at first a kid, he's not fully in control of his emotions, so he's still an angry god at times, but later he grows up and becomes a more just and loving god. Or something of that sort XD Its just an idea yet, maybe we can have a brainstorm session about it.

And then theres the multiverse-theory where we are only one of infinite versions of ourselves (and thus the world around us also). Personally, this seems the most exciting to me. Lets get into space things instead of religion, so much more interesting!

yea i had an idea for a story about that too XD about a person who could catch glimpses of other universes were like if he was at certain places where these universes energy would converge or something. At first the gift is uncontrolled, but later that person starts to learn how to use it. And then there is another person from another universe who has learned how to travel between universes/times. And together they are a superhero team XD one can see what will happen or has happened, and the other can go there and do something about it.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

umeu wrote:
ovi12 wrote:

but there is, I believe, the crux of what gibson was trying to say. You believe because of evidence presented to you by following a scientific method. But you can't be provided any evidence for the correctness of this method that isn't circular. So you must take a leap of faith that this method is correct. And this faith in the scientific method is similar in its role in your worldview as faith in god is to christians.

Imo, the question we should be asking, before trying to answer whether god does or does not exist, is does it matter if It does or doesn't exist?

No I can't 100% prove the sciencific method is correct (you can't really 100% prove almost anything) but it's the method of establishing "truth" which has been by far been the most useful in describing reality.

By the way I'm not sure what you're trying to say by "live your life so that it doesn't matter if there is a god or not". In some religions just being a good person is not enough to go to heaven, they require other rituals.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

ovi12 wrote:Are you asking why I believe the textbook when it tells me this?
Precisely.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

ovi12 wrote:No I can't 100% prove the sciencific method is correct (you can't really 100% prove almost anything) but it's the method of establishing "truth" which has been by far been the most useful in describing reality.

By the way I'm not sure what you're trying to say by "live your life so that it doesn't matter if there is a god or not". In some religions just being a good person is not enough to go to heaven, they require other rituals.

most useful according to standards developed and set by the scientific method. but you're right, following that line of thought gets you to hardcore skepticism. so its not viable, however, it does go to show that you must sometimes blindly believe things, or rather that we do this often without knowing this, and that whatever argument comes up in support of this is often construed after we already hold the belief, and not, as many of us pretend, before.

what i mean by living your life as such is that you should care less about what others think, and live your life according to the values you have created as an autonomous person. , and then it doesnt matter who judges you, not even a god
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

umeu wrote:
yea i had an idea for a story about that too XD about a person who could catch glimpses of other universes were like if he was at certain places where these universes energy would converge or something. At first the gift is uncontrolled, but later that person starts to learn how to use it. And then there is another person from another universe who has learned how to travel between universes/times. And together they are a superhero team XD one can see what will happen or has happened, and the other can go there and do something about it.

umeu next star mangaka confirmed (if you're bad at drawing just be the story man and form a duo) :pop:
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Gendarme wrote:
ovi12 wrote:Are you asking why I believe the textbook when it tells me this?
Precisely.

Because these books have proven themselves to be trustworthy sources; whenever I have been able to test something they told me, they were right.

Are you really trying to say that believing that textbooks aren't conspiracies is the same as believing some a random who claims god exists while they have no evidence?
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

umeu wrote:
ovi12 wrote:No I can't 100% prove the sciencific method is correct (you can't really 100% prove almost anything) but it's the method of establishing "truth" which has been by far been the most useful in describing reality.

most useful according to standards developed and set by the scientific method. but you're right, following that line of thought gets you to hardcore skepticism. so its not viable, however, it does go to show that you must sometimes blindly believe things, or rather that we do this often without knowing this, and that whatever argument comes up in support of this is often construed after we already hold the belief, and not, as many of us pretend, before.

what i mean by living your life as such is that you should care less about what others think, and live your life according to the values you have created as an autonomous person. , and then it doesnt matter who judges you, not even a god

I'm not sure how the sciencific method itself sets standards. It has standards, but those are standards we set ourselves, and we set these standards.

I think the existence or nonexistence of a god which requires you to pray 7 times a day and sends you to hell if you don't should make an impact on your life.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

jesus3 wrote:
umeu wrote:

umeu next star mangaka confirmed (if you're bad at drawing just be the story man and form a duo) :pop:

i'm honestly very interested in that. but i cant find someone... i need to find someone who can draw but doesnt have ideas lol. maybe i should start looking :/
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

ovi12 wrote:
umeu wrote:

I'm not sure how the sciencific method itself sets standards. It has standards, but those are standards we set ourselves, and we set these standards.

I think the existence or nonexistence of a god which requires you to pray 7 times a day and sends you to hell if you don't should make an impact on your life.

that method doesnt set standards, people set standards using that method, or people believing in the method have set the standards. the entire discourse of usefulness itself has come forth from the post scientific revolution era.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

@Jaeger What have you really tested? And does testing to confirm that the strength of magnetic force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance give you actual evidence that trees use photosynthesis? Why is this different to believing that God exists because you got it from a reliable source?

I don't think this has anything to do with evidence at this point, but rather the fact that we by default believe a statement to be true unless it sounds weird (Sagan's 'extraordinary'), or there is a counter-statement. In the case of trees using photosynthesis, you haven't heard anyone claiming otherwise, and it is not a weird claim (as opposed to an omnipotent and omniscient being that created reality). As far as I can tell, this is the difference between believing in photosynthesis and not believing in God. I wouldn't automatically dismiss someone's claim that photosynthesis is bullshit because I don't actually have any evidence for it - but this doesn't mean that I shouldn't believe in photosynthesis. Saying that people shouldn't believe in God only due to lack of evidence is misguided.
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

umeu wrote:
jesus3 wrote:
umeu wrote:

i'm honestly very interested in that. but i cant find someone... i need to find someone who can draw but doesnt have ideas lol. maybe i should start looking :/

shouldn't be that hard. I've met many girls in particular who were tremendously skilled at drawing but lacked creativity itself. In general there are much less creative people than "just" mechanically skilled people