Religion

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.

Are You Religious?

Yes
29%
No
57%
No, but I'm spiritual
12%
Other (leave in comments, please)
2%

Total votes: 83

Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Re: Religion

Post by gamevideo113 »

I am a bit torn, sometimes i think that life is too short to be bothered with things that can't strictly influence it, sometimes i see some christian friends and the impact that Christianity has on them and i am really amazed, religion can give really powerful feelings. I see myself as a christian but i can't really think of God as an entity, i don't really buy the idea of an old man with a long beard constantly watching over us, i rather see God as a set of values that christian people follow, but that is not a very orthodox view...

I gotta say that what umeu wrote was quite eye-opening: "live your life as if the existence of god didn't matter", but i guess this makes me even less of a christian, so, yet again, many doubts come to my mind.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

live your life as if the existence of God is there for you as your heavenly father
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

gamevideo113 wrote:I gotta say that what umeu wrote was quite eye-opening: "live your life as if the existence of god didn't matter", but i guess this makes me even less of a christian, so, yet again, many doubts come to my mind.

that's not exactly what I said :P
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Religion is, to me, the belief there is meaning to suffering.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Callen with the dark shit again :sad:
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I guess I didn't mean it like that

I don't want to be the weird kid that only says these things >.>
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I actually misread it. Confirmation bias, perhaps. That's not a dark view necessarily
United States of America vardar
Lancer
ESO: VardarB98/DemonDeacs

Post by vardar »

Religion to me is.....Religion
c0ns!
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:But still, it has to end somewhere; something must've come out of nothing at some point. Unless it was "always" there.
keep in mind that time is a very relative "human" concept (theory of relativity) for THIS universe, which works different on different scales, if there was no time "before" the big bang, then there also never was a beginning and nothing must have come out of anything, shit is just there..
Hence the "Unless it was always there". There certainly was no time in this universe before the big bang, but it seems almost silly to think that this is the only universe. It reminds me of people thinking earth was the only planet before we knew there were more.
(hard to imagine as a human though, just look at light, for light itself time doesnt pass at all in his own relative system since it travels at lightspeed, so there basically is no time for light, or at least you can say that time is not a factor for light.. my english is too bad to talk about this shit rlly, but you get the point, wherever the big bang came from, it might be possible that time just isnt a thing, and so there is no end and no beginning..technically there wasnt even a "before" before the big bang, because there was no time or space before it)
I think there probably was time and space before it, but outside of our scope of reality. What is time anyway, other than a measurement of the speed at which matter changes? If matter did not change, there wouldn't be time. The big bang was when matter started changing in this universe, therefore the start of time. But outside of our universe, there could be a vast amount more changing matter.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

it's ironic how, when looking at it in an abstract way, the christian story of creation and the scientific story of creation are basically the same story told from 2 different perspectives, one from inside the universe, one from outside the universe. first there was nothing, then there was something.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Krauss' theory is not that new and it all relies on quantum fluctuations that happen even in a perfect vacuum.

So theoretically, yeah, it is possible the universe was simply born out of nothing. Because "nothing" was too unstable to not-exist.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

umeu wrote:
gamevideo113 wrote:I gotta say that what umeu wrote was quite eye-opening: "live your life as if the existence of god didn't matter", but i guess this makes me even less of a christian, so, yet again, many doubts come to my mind.

that's not exactly what I said :P

I'm sorryyy my memory is too bad and i was too lazy to go back to the first page to quote you :P
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

ovi12 wrote:
gibson wrote:
ovi12 wrote:I am not religious simply because nobody has shown me evidence of a god existing. If someone has some, please do share. Otherwise, you are being irrational by being religious.
Well its a little more complicated then that. If you demand hard evidence for belief you'll end up not believing anything.

I'm not sure what you mean. I believe plenty of things and most of them are based on evidence.

Do you just want to see the god or you want to see the god's existence evidence?

For your example As the human beings we can't see the X-ray Alpha-ray, Radio signals and some other Rays..
So you will deny them only because you can't see it? we all know those ray's exist,
Not based on we can see them, but we know, because of their effect..

Or think it like all human made stuffs, all of them have a hole, mistake, problems..

So if you still just want to see the evidence of the god you could just go to outside and look at the sky, can you see a hole or a bug there? Or does the atmosphere has holes? Or do the regions are bugged?
Those are absolutely the part of the big universe.

"If you look at the art you will see the artist"

Cheers.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Wow guys i think beeeze just proved the existence of god
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

The atmosphere literally has holes, Breeze.

Pay more attention to detail.
Kyrgyzstan AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE
Lancer
ESO: dats my secret

Post by AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE »

Goodspeed wrote:What is time anyway, other than a measurement of the speed at which matter changes? If matter did not change, there wouldn't be time. The big bang was when matter started changing in this universe, therefore the start of time. But outside of our universe, there could be a vast amount more changing matter.

how can there be matter outside our universe without space? dont forget that time and space are connected to each other, if there is matter, it has to be in space, and so there is time. its been some time since i read a book about the big bang, and that was a cpl of years old, and the meta might have changed, and a lot is very hypothetical anyway :) (but yeah, i agree, the idea that the universe came out of nothing is stupid).

to say that time is a measurement of speed at which matter changes is only a legit statement on our scales, basically time is a very relative thing, on bigger and on a universal scale it becomes one with space and below the plank length it does the weirdest things, i recommend to read some books by Richard Feynman (an american physicist) who has a phenomenal way of explaining complex stuff in only a few words, but my english is too bad to talk about this stuff..
Turkey Mameluke
Dragoon
ESO: Mameluké

Post by Mameluke »

How can I mute this thread so I dont see it in active threads? Getting a headache.
If you see any mistakes in my grammar/vocabulary or whatever, please correct me. I really appreciate it :!: :flowers:
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

"God of the gaps" arguments... Just
Kyrgyzstan AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE
Lancer
ESO: dats my secret

Post by AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE »

@deleted_user5 gives one of the most solid arguments for the existence of a reasonable creator, everything just seems to perfect to be random.
you cant see the creator, but indeed his creation.

same with all the laws in nature, they work perfectly in harmony with each other, but you cant see or feel or touch them, you only can see them in their effects on our world, you cant "see" the law of gravity, but still you can see its consequences and so, as a reasonable being who wants to stay alive you have to believe in them, and there is nobody out there doubting the existence of them..
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Jebaited
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Mameluke wrote:How can I mute this thread so I dont see it in active threads? Getting a headache.

Just don't get a headache
Italy DaRkNiTe1698
Lancer
ESO: Marco1698

Post by DaRkNiTe1698 »

There is literally no reason to believe in a invisible and absent God anyway.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

kami_ryu wrote:I liked this:

https://i.imgur.com/W5WALAC.jpg

hot beard
Turkey Mameluke
Dragoon
ESO: Mameluké

Post by Mameluke »

I wanna say something so badly but I know it will just cause more headache. :dry:
If you see any mistakes in my grammar/vocabulary or whatever, please correct me. I really appreciate it :!: :flowers: